Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Tires and Wheels

Comments

• yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    We have Yokohama Avids on a 2003 Accord and 2000Avalon and we will have to get rid of rthem They are no good on snow and ice Consumer report rates them as poor I am looking for somerthing else
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    The 215s should easily fit. They will be slightly taller, so your speedo will be a tiny bit out of shack, but I doubt that is a big enough size difference to matter much.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

well, I havent driven on snow or ice yet (having only gotten them in APril!), but they are great in the wet. Tirerack also rated them pretty well in snow. And they have to be better than the slick OEMs they replaced.

If you really need snow capability, get real snow tires. No AS is gong to be close to as good.

we also don't get much snow down here, so it usually isn't a problem.

• vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Yokohoma tire is smooth, less noise. Yokohoma AVID H or V rated tire is good. I have never driven it on snow or ice. Any suggestion for good tires with minimum noise?
  • cmartin411cmartin411 Member Posts: 42
    I have a 2006 EXV6 with about 44K miles. I am getting ready to replace the OEM Pilots. I was going to buy the Turanza w/ Serenity, but the guy at the tire store (independent - no affiliation) recommended the Michelin Exalto A/S. I also read some good reviews on the Primacy. I think the Exalto might be more performance geared than I need, so that is why I am thinking Primacy or Turanza.

Plus, Michelin has a $70 rebate now. What is your guys' opinion of the Primacy? I have went back and read thru all of the comments about the Exalto and Turanza.

215/50R17

Thanks.
  • bajajoesbajajoes Member Posts: 48
    I have a 2001 Accord that I put Michelin Hydroedge tires on and think they are excellent!. One minor point is that they give a bit harder ride than originals.

I drive a winding mountain road from Santa Cruz to San Jose California occasionaly
    and they provide excellent traction and handling in both wet and dry conditions.

I was very impressed with the traction they provide and plan on getting another set if I still have the car when these wear out. They are good for 90,000 miles.
    See link for comparisons:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=74
    The biggest difference was driving on snow and ice which is not an issue where I live but if it is for you the reviews show Primacy over Hydroedge.

:shades:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Consumer Reports just did a tire test and the primacy was ranked number one. That will probably be my next tire.
  • oldmansioldmansi Member Posts: 40
    Yes, I also just read that in Consumer Reports about the Primacy as being ranked number one. I will also be replacing my tires soon with either that tire or the highly ranked Pilot Exalto A/S. Bother are ranked high in ride comfort and noise. The Exalto would handle better but the Primacy would have a longer tread life. Both are very good in rain and snow and cost is about the same.
  • kingsfan2kingsfan2 Member Posts: 22
    I also have bought 2 sets of the Yokohama Avid H4S for my 2007 Accord and
    have been very happy with them. Good handling tires and got 55k on each set.
    Bought thru Tire Rack which has also been a very good experience. Agree
    with your assesment of the original Michelins.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Hey all, I've got a bit of a dilemma. Today I was run off the road and into a tall curb. The tire appears ok, but the wheel is chewed up all around, and after I get everything checked out, I plan to replace the wheel.

Any thoughts on how much I can expect to pay for one, thoughts for where I should shop (besides the obvious 2 choices of dealer and junkyard)? The car is pictured below - has the 16" alloys (2006 EX I4).

ANY input is welcome and appreciated, as always.

Thanks in advance,

TheGraduate
    try ebay and craigs, and also some of the Honda enthousiast sites. You might be able to find a set of take offs (someone that decided to put dubs on it!), although it might be hard to find a set of 4. Or, look for some 17" accord or TL wheels if you want to +1.

I should be getting a replacement wheel for my Odyssey (one of them got smushed a bit it seems, and is very hard to balance), but I haven't ever really looked.

I will guess a new one at the dealer is going to be $500+?

This just happened today, so I haven't priced them. I'll obviously price-check through some dealers in Birmingham to see how much I should expect. I'm not looking to upsize (I bought new tires less than 1,000 miles ago and love them), and don't need a whole set of 4. Just one wheel.

I've never priced wheels at a junkyard, or elsewhere, and don't have a clue what I should expect to pay.

Thanks,

TheGrad
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Take a look at the online Honda dealers. They offer Honda alloy wheels for less then $200 ea. Not sure if they have your wheel or not.

Mrbill
    did a quick google (damn, I love the internet!)

Found a used one for $229 shipped at everdrive, then found what appears to be a new one, inc. shipping, for $180 from cheaphondaparts.com.

these were for my oddyssey. price varies for the Accord, and I forget if you have an '06 or an '07, and for '06, there are 2 different 16" options.

for $180. I might just pick one up before the next time I go for a rotate and balance!

• elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Don't know for sure, if this is your wheel or not, but they have one for $139 (plus shpping of course) at Majestic Honda. (click on parts, then scroll down to wheels)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

When one of the wheels on my 92 started peeling, I bought a new one, and kept it, for a full size spare.

I'll be in your neighborhood next Saturday Grad, KISS concert.
    Coming to the 'ham and the BJCC? Nice! Be glad it is supposed to warm up - our low is supposed to be in the low thirties tonight. Not sure how much you've been (or if you have) but let me know if you want to know some good places to eat!

I checked the site you linked me to elroy, my wheel is $184 with shipping. Not terrible at all considering its new. May print that, take it to my dealer, and see if I can get it there.

I found a page on eBay, with wheels pictured that match my car. They had 429 reviews, 427 positive, 2 neutral, 0 negative. They remanufacture wheels to "above-factory-standards" and have my wheel for $139 before shipping. Of course I can't find the link at the moment though!

Thanks for the continued advice... :)
    Checked cheaphondaparts... the wheels offered there aren't the standard wheels from my Accord. Thanks though!!
    We'll be staying at the Hampton Inn, State Farm Parkway, so if you know of a good place to eat around there, we'll try it out. We wanted to go to the KISS concert in Houston, but there were no good seats left (sitting behind speakers). We got great seats at the BJCC, and I don't mind driving, so we decided to go for it. We stayed in Birmingham once before, but didn't do much then, besides go to the race in Talledega.

Are you planning to keep the damaged wheel as a spare? Need new tires yet?
    Just put new Bridgestones on the car, so don't need new tires, and am just planning to sell the scraped up wheel on eBay for a few bucks. Shoot, I saw wheels that looked about like mine being sold for $50 or $60.

The dealer has offered to match the price of Majestic Honda - it'll be $184 for the wheel, and they'll mount and balance for $20. Seemed decent to me.

As far as where to eat, it depends on what you like. For meat & two I'd suggest the Paw Paw Patch if you're going to be here on a weekday. Its about 5 minutes from where you're staying. For the weekend, try Niki's. It's about 15 minutes away from you, and has a great cafeteria line (a dozen meats, dozens of veggies to choose from) along with the "off the menu" choices. For barbecue, my first choice is Jim n Nick's, but lots of people in Birmingham would NEVER go anywhere except Dreamland, an Alabama tradition.

If you want to know anything specific, just give me a yell!

Thanks all,

TheGrad
    am just planning to sell the scraped up wheel on eBay for a few bucks.

Do what ever you want, but you never know when you will get a flat tire far from home (don't like traveling long distances on a temporary spare). Or, you hit a bad enough pothole to flatten both tires on the same side (happened to me in New Orleans. I had to get a taxi driver to drive me around NO looking for an open tire dealer late one Saturday afternoon). The tire place only had one Michelin MXV4, so I ended up with one replacement, and a temporary spare for the ride home). Unless you really need the trunk space, I'd keep that wheel for a spare. ;)

I might try Niki's cafeteria, but I should have mentioned, I'm a big Steak house guy. Thanks for the tips though. :shades:
    Unless you really need the trunk space, I'd keep that wheel for a spare.

My family lives 5 hours away and me and several others (friends, girlfriend, relatives) load up frequently to go to the coast. So, in this case, I'd say I do need the space. I hear your reasoning though - I'm just not ready to drop another $150 on having the new wheel mounted on yet another new tire. Starting a new (better) job next week and will have more $ to play with soon. :)

Steaks? Well, for the big spender, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and Shula's are good bets. Otherwise, I don't have a lot of "B'ham only" type places to recommend. By your hotel are several good chain restaurants (O'Charley's, Chili's, Lone-Star Steakhouse), and one of Birmingham's original burger/fast-food joints, Milo's. Famous for their Sweet Tea!
  • davehondadavehonda Member Posts: 17
    I have scuff marks on my Honda Accord alloy wheel surface. Is there a way to get rid of them or I have to take it to the repair shop to get it removed and painted.
    It seems some kind of white powdery substance also getting deposited on these marks. The wheels are only four year old though...
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    What kind of "scuff" marks? If they are paint, rubber, or something that was added to the wheel, you can probably get them out with a polish or cleaner wax.

If the wheels have been scratched some way, there may not be much you can do. It may also be cheaper to buy a new or used wheel.
    I have an '06 Accord (16" alloys) and just replaced my alloy after being run into a curb at 30mph. The wheel was $167, and they mounted and balanced it for $25. I was out the door for $204 after taxes.

All done at my dealer.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    lol, some might just leave the wheel like that. But, there some like you, and I that just obsess about our cars, and anything that takes away from the newness of our cars would drive us nuts. I would do the same thing. However, that is pretty steep for 1 wheel. But, it is honda.

I see many cars, even very high end cars with bad curb rash on their rims. One was a newer 7 series BMW. I could only imagine replacing one of those bad boys.
    I suppose if you park in tight areas, live in the city, your bound to get some markings.

--Graduate, I truly miss my Accord. How many miles do you have on yours?
    I still love the classy look of the previous accord model. Oh, and yes, the engine!!
    Considering that the wheel lists for $229.50, I felt like mounting, balancing, and tax included for $204.00 was reasonable. It was aligned for free where I purchased my tires less than 1k miles before; they also inspected the front suspension for any problems. I left the dealer and went straight there. Was surprised it was free, but pleased nontheless. This was worse than curb rash, there were actually chunks out of the thing.

I have 53k on my 06, with 201,600 on my '96. That old one is delivering 30 MPG on my new commute (30 miles of 70 mph freeway with 5 miles suburban). Love em both, but have a ridiculous attachment to my '96. The first car I had (got it at age 15 with 120k miles or so on it), and it hasn't left me stranded other than because of something the dealer messed up... gotta love it!
  • guntherhopsguntherhops Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2005 V6 accord that I don't drive much. I want some inexpensive quiet, smooth riding tires, I don't drive in bad weather.
    Any suggestions?
    I replied in another forum, but check out Firestone FE380. Inexpensive all-around tires which happen to have very good wet-traction, based on my experience with them in a 2002 Accord. Cooper tires are also good yet relatively inexpensive. Michelins are notoriously expensive tires.
  • kris113kris113 Member Posts: 20
    Hi,

Would anyone know if the service department would be able to tell if my car has ever had a flat tire by checking the TPMS? I don't know anything about cars but am hoping that the car's computer might keep track of the repair indicators that show up on my dashboard.

Here is my problem....I leased a new '09 honda approx. 18 months ago. I bring my car into the dealership for all of my routine maintenance and have never taken it to an outside shop. My last oil change was approx 5 months ago and everything seemed fine, and they noted on my receipt that the wear on all 4 tires was a 9 out of 10 (which was excellent). Yesterday, I brought it in for another oil change and when I went to pick it up they tried telling me that I needed a new front driver's side tire which is $250. I asked to see what was wrong with it and they showed me that it was now rated a 3 out of 10. I asked how it is possible for one tire to basically fall apart like that, and I was told that it is impossible. The service rep then got a manager who looked at the tires and pulled up my information from the last time I was there and they determined that the tire had been switched, because it has a different serial number than the other 3 tires on my car.

So after them trying to sell me this new tire, I didn't buy it b/c I know for a fact that I have never brought the car to any other shop for repairs, but they are basically saying that it is my word against theirs. So I called Michelin to see if there was any way to track where this new tire was sold, which there isn't but they were very suspicious of the whole situation. They asked me to go back to the dealership tomorrow and have the manager call them with me there, but I then thought of the TPMS, and that is where my question is coming from. I am hoping to prove that I have never even had a flat with the car because the dealership is trying to claim that I must have gotten a flat and put a used tire on to replace it.

Sorry for such a long post, but I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,
    Kristin
    That's a lousy deal. Sorry that I don't know more about TPMS but I don't think it would save that info.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. It sounds like you've got the Michelin guy on your side though.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    edited September 2010
    they determined that the tire had been switched, because it has a different serial number than the other 3 tires on my car.

The tires may have numbers that are close to each other, but they won't have exactly the same numbers. Serial numbers are a "series" of numbers which is unique to each tire.
    I wasn't sure it would either, but was really hoping for a miracle lol.

At this point I'm really hoping that the Michelin Customer Service comes through for me, they seemed really helpful and took all of my info which is hopefully a good sign but I will keep the board posted as to what happens next.

BTW...in case anyone was wondering what dealership I have been dealing with, it's Bay Ridge Honda in Brooklyn, NY
    Actually I should have worded it correctly....tires do not have serial numbers. They have DOT numbers which basically tell you the month and year the tire was manufactured. Three of my tires are all the same and then the fourth is different and after closer inspection the fourth tire is actually a different model as well.

I learned all of this information from the Michelin Customer Service Dept. who were very helpful and also very clear that the tire was definitely switched at some point because brand new cars would all have tires with the same DOT number.

But it basically comes down to my word against theirs, but I know that I have never taken the car to another shop for work and have never even had a flat tire that I would have needed fixed.
    well, no idea on the TPMS, but I highly doubt it does. especially if it is the more simple versin, which just indicates a tire is low.

not sure what the serial # has to do with it. I would be shocked if the dealer actually recorded the #s when the car was delivered, You would see this if you bought aftermarket (at a tire shop) and got a road hazard warranty. But on new cars? Can't believe it.

and Honda at the factory has a giant supply of tires sitting around. Entirely possible that you got 3 produced at about the same time, and 1 from a different run.

You don't mention the mileage, but I doubt it is very high. Tires have a tread wear warranty on them anyway (through michelin), so if nothing else, you would likely get a decent discount on the new one for that.

That price is also pretty high. You can certainly stop at an authorized michelin shop to have them look at it, and they can also handle any warranty replacement (and likely charge less for the tire to start with).

and there has to be a reason for a tire to wear that abnormally fast. If the alignment is way out, it can do it, That should be checked at the same time.

finally, the 9/10 I dont think is not a scale. It is an actual tread depth mesurement. New, it was 10/32" deep. so at 18 months, barely worn at all. 3/32 is pretty much at the wear bars, meaning time to replace.

that is the only way I have ever seen it presented, so I assume 9/10 means 9 out of the original 10 left. Unless they are doing some funny base 10 scale, but in that case, 3/10 would = ~9/32 anyway!

certainly a good idea to go back to have the dealer call michelin with you, but again, it really is not a dealer issue, it is a tire/michelin/you issue.

tires have dot #s that tell month/day of manufacture. That is true. But they also have serial numbers, because I have had them written down when i bought tires and got the RHW.

honestly, the only other thing I can think of, as strange as it sounds, is that someone stole your wheel/tire, and replaced it with one that was shot.

the strange part isn't doing it (since you are in NYC!), the strange part is putting the old one on so you would not notice! that, and only doing 1.

• jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    edited September 2010
    I know in our family, someone ran over a curb with one car, blowing the tire. They got one of the same type put on, but it was far lower on tread, to try and cover up their little 'Oops'.

Most tire shops have a rack of cast offs that they keep for just such an occasion, or for when someone brings a flat in that can't be patched.

Of course there is always the high likelihood of two Hondas with the same type rims getting tire service at the dealer, and some lackey mixing up part of one set with another while using the tire balancer. It's not unknown for a shop to temporarily borrow a wheel from a new car to troubleshoot something that they are having a hard time fixing - I would hope they would never use a customers wheel for that (and especially neglect to put it back!).
    Well, I just wanted to update everyone on the situation I have been dealing with regarding the tire on my Honda. We spoke to Michelin and found out that there is no way of finding out where a specific tire was sold to, but after explaining to situation to them, they advised us to go back to the Honda Service Center and then call Michelin back so that they could speak to the manager. It seemed to me that they weren't very surprised to hear my story either.

So we went back to Honda and after having a rep from Michelin speak to the Honda manager for over an hour, they were getting no where. Micheline ended up giving us 35% off a new tire just because of the agrivation we were going through, but Honda would do nothing. And on top of it, the Service Manager kept telling my husband that I had to be lying to him about ever getting a flat. Well, that basically ended our conversation with them and realized we weren't getting anywhere.

So it ended up costing us $192 for a new tire that should have never even been taken off in the first place. And the bottom line is that I would never go back to the Bay Ridge Honda Service Center again or even recommend it to anyone!! Our lease is also up in about 18 months and before this happened we were planning to buy a Pilot from the same dealership, but not after this...I would never give this dealership or service center another penny of my money and I would advise anyone that does go there not to just drop their car off for service and then leave because who knows what they are willing to do to the cars there.
    Can't blame you for not wanting to go back to that dealer. Amazing story.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    edited September 2010
    I got the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Treds which gave me a quiet and very comfortable ride for my Harsh riding 02 Accord V6. Get 'em at a place that offers free rotations and balance. They do not handle precisely,or turn in quickly,but they are soft and quiet,compared to Michelin. Keep up with the rotations 'cause they won't last the 80k warranty. Hope this helps someone.
    Did something similar way back on a parents 1999 Accord LX-V6. Ditched the V rated Bridgestone Turanza tires for Goodyear Integrity 2 tires (IIRC they were T rated).

Going to the non-speed rated tires allows a softer tire, with the less sharp handling and the longer wear. Of course the lack of the V speed rating means not going over a sustained 112 MPH with the T rated replacements....IIRC the 99 V6 is electronically limited to 140MPH.

Can't really do this with the Gen 8 accord, as I don't think you can get a 50 series tire without the speed rating. It's just too much of a typical performance tire size.
    T rating is 118, S is 112.

I also plan to ditch the V-rated turanzas that came on my SE, but I will stick with H (130) as a replacement. Will most likely get the Michelin Primacy MXV4 - excellent ratings by CR and extremely low rolling resistance.

Still on my original tires at 91k. That is a little misleading though because I run snows in the winter. Probably have 55k on the OE turanzas - another benefit of high pressure (40psi) is longer tire life. And my tread wear is absolutely even.
    I have 85k on my OEM Bridgestones so you aren't too far off, dud. Those who got OEM Michelins have not faired nearly as well, based on comments posted here.
    edited September 2010
    Get 'em at Discount Tire where you can return them no charge within 30 days and get a different tire. Free liftime rotations and balance. FYI,I tried the Michelin Destinys/Harmonys on my '02 Accord V6. Easier turn in and more precise handling.....but less comfortable and objectionable road whine at 60 mph. Took 'em back and paid $86 more to try the Primacy MXV4. Surprise,Surprise!!!!! Absolutely,Harsh,jarring ride! However,the Primacys were noticeably more quiet at highway speeds than the Destinys. Took 'em back within 24 hours. Exchanged for the new GY Comfort Tred Touring Tire. More comfortable than the Michelins and more quiet than the Michelins. Acceptable,but I'm going back to the garden variety Comfort Treds next change. Hope my experience,with these tires,on this car , helps.
    edited September 2010
    Nope. I managed 50k on my Michelins before changing. There was treadlife left, but the sidewalls were full of minute cracks, and frankly, the wet-traction was scary.
    Thanks for fixing the speed rating. I was too lazy to look it up and verify that I had the S and T straight - they are fairly close.

The oem bridgestone turanzas on the 99 accord lx-v6 were low on tread by the 40k mark. Since the snow traction was very mediocre, changed them out for the first set of goodyear integrity2 tires (car is on the second set now). Had them as a replacement set on a company turdstar (my nickname for windstar) and they worked well overall, so picked them for the honda. Pep boys had a nice price on them.
    Don't worry re the tread life. Get a tire with a good warranty,keep up with rotations,then get a credit for the unused portion of the warranty period should the tire wear out prematurely. I want my tires to wear out in 4-5 years so I can get a credit and fresh rubber.
    Just returned from having my car serviced.... hit 86k miles on the way home. Still good tread left on my OEM Bridgestones. Front brakes were good, rears were at 2.5 mm so they'll need to be replaced soon.

Service guy was as amazed as I am how long the tires and brakes are lasting. I love this car.

06 EX-L w/navi I4 manual
  • mahiminnmahiminn Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new 2010 Honda Accord LX-P last week. It came with 17" alloy wheels instead of 16" alloy wheels that usually come with LX-Ps. They they swapped EX wheels & tires to my LX-P.

Initially I was happy because I got EX wheels which are bigger and look better. I am not happy anymore after reading on the internet. It seems bigger wheels are not necessarily always good an it will have impact on transmission and mileage.

Should I be worried here? Thanks a lot. This is a great website.
    blufz - Interesting that you returned the Primacy's. We got new Michelin tires for my wife's Sienna last summer and they seemed like beach balls at first. Very bouncy and seemed way overinflated when they were not. This went away after a few weeks. Maybe it has something to do with breaking in - not sure.

mahimminn - going to 17" wheels will use slightly more gas and the ride may be a little harsher, but neither will be by a huge amount. If the outer diameter is the same (and it should be) there won't be any effect on the transmission.
    edited October 2010
    I think the 02 V6 Accords have a rep for rough riding. Always got 40-45 k on the oem Michelins on 3 different accords. Best ride is as follows: 1. GY Ctrteds...2.GY ctred tourings....3. Michelin Destiny/Harmonys...4. Michelin Primacys. Best tred life so far Michelins. Tire warranty 80k except for Primacy which,I think,was 60k. Perhaps my shocks need replacing at 109k? Just FYI. Don't want anyone to be stuck with a tire they don't like. My best advice is to get tires at a place that allows no charge replacement tires for the first 30 days after you buy a new set. That way you've got 2 or 3 shots to get a tire you like. Buying at Discount tire helped me out in this regard.