Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Tires and Wheels

12345679»

Comments

• twomotortwomotor Member Posts: 17
    Just bought a 2012 LX-S coupe, a little old fashioned - not a big fan of the 17 inch low profile tire look. Want to put some after market 16 inch wheels and 225/60/16 tires on. Any one here know how this will affect the VSA? Tire height changes 1 inch and speedometer 1.9 %.
    Thanks for any help.
    Dennis
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Tire Rack recommends a 215/60R16 for its winter package - so I think that's a better choice.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I assume that is the standard size for the 4 cyl? I know on my 2005, it was 205/60-16 base, and the V6 had 215/50-17.

Instead of aftermarket, I would try to find someone looking to upgrade from the base 16". At least you won't have to worry about quality, or offset. And th VSA should not care.

for that, Isn't the bigger issue difference in diameter between the tires on the car?

I actually have 3 H rated and 1 V rated Yokohama on my 2005 (the V has 8K less on it) thanks to a rear tire that decided to disintegrate on the highway. Then again, I don't have VSA or even TC.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

The 215 is 1/2 inch narrower and I am trying to gain as much sidewall height as I can without going too big is why I was looking at the 225.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    If you want sidewall height go with 15's it won't effect your speedometer. I run 205 65 15 in the winter. Same diameter as my 205 60 16 summer tires. Put the snow tires on aftermarket alloys from tirerack. I like the extra cushion in the winter when roads are bad.

The base Accord tire is a 195 65 15 (on the DX model) and is slightly smaller.
    That would work accecpt for the fact that 15 inch after wheel market selection is very small, even 16 inch limited. Now if you want 18 or 20 inchers, the sky is the limit.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    edited December 2011
    Hey guys,

Just want to check with you all about replacing the Dunlop Sport 7000 AS's on my new 2011 LX-P. I don't like the tires at all. They are very noisy and tred life, from what I have read, is rather poor. I live in Puerto Rico so no snow or ice to worry about. I only have 6200 miles on the car but the ride and noise are not up to my standard. I think I would like to just go ahead and replace them now and sell the Dunlops used.

TireRack ranks these 4 as the best sellers. Any comments on which ones are the best in your experience is greatly appreciated. I'm looking for low noise and comfort / longevity as priorities.

General Altimax HP (Grand Touring All-Season) $97.00/Tire
    Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring (Grand Touring All-Season) $132.00/Tire
    Michelin Primacy MXV4 (Grand Touring All-Season) $135.00/Tire
    Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V) (High Performance All-Season) $98.00/Tire
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    If you have a Discount Tire Store in your area, they have the 15 aftermarkets.
  • rapriderraprider Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2011
    Hi...I'm in need of new tires for my 2000 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6. I have just over 100k miles on it. 5 years ago I used this forum to put Bridgestone Turanza's on, but after 45k miles, I've just about driven the rubber off them.

The size I need is 205/60/16 V-rated (I'm okay with sticking with the Honda speed-rating spec). I live in Central NJ, drive pretty aggressively, but only for about 9-10k miles/year (very short daily back-road commuting to work).

I am not looking for the cheapest tire or longest tread life, but do want something that has good, solid performance in dry/wet, light and/or deep snow and ice, and can also offer a comfortable ride/low noise.

Similar to the above poster, I've narrowed down my options based on size/speed requirements and reviews in Consumer Reports and TireRack to:

Dunlop SP Sport Signature
    General Altimax
    Goodyear Assurance ComforTred
    Michelin Primacy MXV4
    Pirelli P6 Four Seasons
    Sumitomo HTR A/S P01
    Yokohama AVID ENVigor

I was also interested in the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S or Sport A/S, but neither is available in the sizing I need.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice/opinions!
    Rich
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Not sure where else you see them other than at BJs, but I have a set of BF Goodrich Advantage TAs in that size (on a 2000 Acura TL), and they have been very good so far, and excellent in bad weather (including snow, but that car is particularly good to start with).

very reasonable price, with a discount coupon.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• icyou812icyou812 Member Posts: 77
    I got rid of my Dunlops at 39K miles because of the ride and noise on my 08 LX. They did great as far as cornering and steering response. They still had decent tread left and wore evenly with regular rotations but got louder as the miles accumulated. I replaced them with the GY Comfortred Touring. I've put about 12K on them so far this year. They ride better and are quieter than the Dunlops. They aren't as responsive and don't take cornering hard as well either. If you are a conservative driver you won't even notice the difference though. I occasionally like to throw it around some curves and run it through the gears. The five speed MT makes the Accord a lot more fun to drive. :) All in all I think they are a good tire. No matter what tire you put on, the Accord will still be a bit noisy and ride a little hard. That's just the nature of the car from what I understand. The Comfortreds did help to tame it down a few notches because it's a grand touring tire vs the high performance Dunlop.
    Cross the GY Comfortreds off your list for snow traction. I haven't driven mine in very much snow, but when I did they didn't grip very well, just as bad as the Dunlop Sport 7000's that came stock. They also don't corner as well either if you like to drive aggressively. If I hit any bumps while taking a tight clover leaf a ways over the posted speed it wobbles a bit if I hit a bump. Just enough to make you want to slow down. I don't drive like that very often so it's no big issue for me. I do like that they are quieter and ride better than the O.E. tires. And if the roads are nasty it just sits in the garage and I drive my 4X4.
  • joemicburjoemicbur Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    I bought a 2005 Honda Accord and when I drove it back home, it was making horrible road noise. Some roads were worse than others. Is it possible that this is an alighnment problem or could it be transmission problem?
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    A bad alignment itself won't make road noise, but a bad alignment could cause uneven tire wear where the tires will cause noise. A transmission problem would occur no matter what road your on.

I would check the tires for uneven wear. Run your hand over the tire following the tread. If you feel uneven depressions (cupping) that's were your noise is coming from. Another source of noise could be a bad wheel bearing/hub assembly.

Mrbill
    Along with what mrbill said, some tires are just plain noisy. Especially the more they wear, the louder they get. My 08 Accord has always had plenty of road noise. It came with Dunlops that were horribly loud depending on the road surface. It helped quite a bit when I put Goodyear Comfortred tires on, but it will always be noisy to some extent. I think that's the nature of the Accord. Have you ever owned an Accord before? If not, was your previous car quiet? That could be why it seems so loud? :confuse: If you have a mechanic you trust have them ride with you and get their opinion and go from there.
    The road noise is coming from the drivers side front tire. I feel that it has to do with uneven tread wear. I ask the man who sold it to me, if he had been aware of the noise., but he just said he hadn't notice any unusal noise.
    I'm sure he must have selective hearing! (My kids have that on a regular basis). I had a wheel bearing once that was going bad and it was making noise on just one side up front. It was the left one, so every time as I changed lanes to the left, it would lessen the load on it and would get quieter. Likewise, as I changed back to the right it would get louder and level out as the steering wheel came back to center. Did you have it inspected before you purchased it? If not you might want to have it looked at to see if there may be something worn or damaged to cause the tire wear, if that is the cause of the noise.
    I have this 2000 I30 infiniti I just bought. I have always used the low octane gas in my other automobiles, but the first time I added a low octane gas to this car, the check engine light comes on. I go to autozone and they put the computer on it. It says 02 sensor problem. I don't want to have to use this high octane gasoline , it's too expensive. Is there anything that can be done or do I have to pay for this high octane gasoline? Should this have caused a check engine light to come on?
  • dangerouslydangerously Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone think the alloy wheels for the 2013 Honda Accord look ugly? I wantEd to buy 2013 Accord Coupe EX but when I saw the wheels, I decided to hold on buying it! I think those alloy wheels look ugly and they look like the cheap wheel caps!

Each person may have different options so I respect all options!
  • daneeldaneel Member Posts: 19
    Please remember that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". So, if the wheels are ugly to you, they are ugly - over and done with
  • stage4survivorstage4survivor Member Posts: 56
  • stage4survivorstage4survivor Member Posts: 56
    I didn't see a specific forum for tires here so, I hope you'll indulge me if this is the wrong area?
    I've decided to upgrade the new Touring to 18" wheels, likely from the coupe but, I'm not completely sure they'll fit the sedan w/o any issues.
    More importantly are tire choice. I like Michelin but, not sure which is the best for overall handling, grip & minimal road noise. Mileage isn't a priority.
    Michelin seems to offer several options in the 235/45/18 size, Pilot MXM4(2 different ratings?), Primacy & I forget.
    Any suggestions or input is appreciated
  • seven_upsseven_ups Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2013
    Under the Michelin marque, the finest handling tire, bar none, is the Pilot Super Sport, which is available in the size you indicate. In terms of superior handling characteristics in an all-season tire, the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is also available, V-rated, in 235/45-18. TireRack is an excellent resource for tire research, and is recommended.

In my years of driving, I have found Michelin to be superb in terms of durability, noise ( nil ), and handling; I purchase no other.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'd have to disagree. While they are certainly fine tires, the traits you've named all depend on the model you purchase. My 2006 Accord came with Michelin tires, from their "Energy" line. They lasted 4 years and 49,000 miles, but were very poor in wet conditions relative to the Bridgestone Potenzas I had on the other Accord I owned. To replace the Michelins would've cost $178/tire at the time, not on sale. The Bridgestones I bought were $115/tire, retail. They were quieter and had substantially more bite when cornering. Wet traction was improved as well.

If shopping tires, Tirerack.com has a great resource in its Customer Reviews.
  • seven_upsseven_ups Member Posts: 10
    Michelin has discontinued the Energy MXV4, which was OEM several years ago for Accord ( our former 2001 Accord EX-V6 came equipped with the same tire ). The original poster indicated handling as a variable and de-emphasized fuel economy; as the poster did not specify location or summer/all-season use, two tires from the Pilot line were suggested - one, an A/S. We currently drive on the new Pilot Sport A/S 3, and find it impeccable - particularly in rain/standing water; thus, the bias toward this tire model. The poster mentions the Primacy MXM4, which is also an excellent selection, if a soft ride is desired.

TireRack consumer reviews and the omnibus "survey" tab for each tire should be one stop to make for every prospective tire purchaser. It is wise to perform extensive due diligence regarding tire models, as it is a decision the buyer will be living with for tens of thousands of miles, and many years and seasons of driving.