Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Tires and Wheels

bill59bill59 Member Posts: 11
Honda dealer says replacement tires must be the Micheliin designed specially for the 2003 Honda Accord V-6 or handling will suffer.

Sounds strange. Those tires are $265 ea. I need 4 and invite comments/suggestions re a less exspensive solution. Many thanks!

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Um, any tire that meets the size, speed, and weight rating should be OK.

Try any of the following:

www.tirerack.com
    www.discounttire.com
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The MXV4 Michelins are not bad tires, but dry road handling is not their strong point. Check out the ratings on tirerack.com, and choose the ones that suit your style of driving. Some people want performance, some want smooth and quiet, and some want the happy medium. There are definitely better tires out there for less than $200 a piece.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Assuming for the sake of argument that you wish to use the exact same replacement tire that Honda mounted at the factory (and these are not custom made for Honda, by the way), the worst place you can purchase tires is through an automobile dealership. Even tire shops will usually cut you some slack from the factory list price. And, I'd be willing to bet cash money that even a mediocre tire shop's people know more about properly mounting and balancing tires than whoever's unlucky enough to be tagged at the automobile dealership to mount and balance your car's new replacement shoes. Why? Because that's a tire shop's primary business. Unless an auto dealership does a LOT of tire business, I question whether they have any stock to speak of. Tires are large which means they take up limited real estate that could be better put to use for parts and supplies that move more frequently. I'll speculate it's more likely the dealership will send a go-fer out in the lot pickup to retrieve tires from a local distributor once the work invoice is cut.
  • magicpsnmagicpsn Member Posts: 13
    All throughout the manual it refers to only Honda parts. Under tire maintenance in the notices, it also says to “Use only genuine Honda wheel weights for balancing”. It says “Improper wheel weights can damage your vehicle’s aluminum wheels”.

I have never heard of Honda making weights! I have always gone to a tire store, picked out tires based on my needs and the ratings of the tires (traction, temperature, wear, etc.) and will continue to do so!
    They all seem to be using the square stick-on weights now (tire shops and dealers), on the alloy wheels. I know both my local dealer, and local Goodyear do.
    Honda has wheel weights made to their specification. They seem to have some type of coating on them to prevent corrosion.

That doesn't mean that the weight used by a tire shop aren't just as good.

Personally, I like the stick on weights and have them applied to the inside only for a neater appearance.
  • bill59bill59 Member Posts: 11
    I have been doing lots of research, much of it confusing. I am simply looking to replace the tires currently on the car with four tires that will fnction well in rain, snow(I live in the Northeast) that will handle and ride well and make as little noise as possible. The best bets seem to be "H" rated tires, although those on the car and recommended by Honda are V rated. Any thoughts on one or two possibilities? Many thanks!
    )) "Personally, I like the stick on weights and have them applied to the inside only for a neater appearance." ((

Contrary to what mama always told me, neatness doesn't always count. If you have a smooth rolling Accord at any speed with balancing weights only applied to the inside area of the wheels, then pat yourself on the shoulder and accept my sincere "Attaboy" for being one lucky son of a gun. Due to inevitable manufacturing inconsistencies with belt positioning irregularities, and unpredictable flow of gooey casing and tread compounding during molding, tires often end up needing to be balanced in two planes.
    For the most part, I have been lucky with stick on/tap on weights applied to the inside. Is it perfect? Not always but for the most part acceptable.

But on vehicles such as my Passat, that's the only way to balance them. Weights cannot be applied to the outside of the alloys.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Bill59: Grab the current issue of Consumer Reports. They reviewed tires H and V rated this month.

Also go over Tire Rack and put your tire size and speed rating to see what tire come up. Then go to a local tire shop and purchase the tires. Most tire shops can give you a feel if it is ok to go to an H rated tire. I imagine the ride will be a bit softer. You may not be able to tell the difference since H rated tires a pretty firm. I would go with H rated. But talk to your local tire shop.

Yokohoma Avid rated well. Tires do not need to be Michelin.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Thanks for the tips. I've gone throught Tire Track and CR. A local tire dealer, told me they would only sell me the Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus (at $175 per tire compared to CR's listed $96). Another dealer recommended the Pirelli P6 Four Seasons which had a terrible review on Tire Rack. When I asked about the Turanza (he's a Bridgestone dealer)he said that would be much better but is hard to find.

The Yokahama Avid's sound fine except for their poor performance in snow which is an important consideration in the NE.

I did mention the H but was told--again by dealer one-- that only the same tire would suffice.

I will continue trying, because I do need to replace the OEs.

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • ralph9ralph9 Member Posts: 88
    For my 2001 Camry I order tires from tirerack and had them sent directly to an installer in our area. I used the survey results for passenger all season tires and purchased the Goodyear Assurance triple treds which met my requirements for performance in wet, snowy and icy conditions. I note that the Michelin MXV 4 energy plus is listed in the survey in the "grand touring all season" category. It comes out as the 8th rated tire with particularly bad scores in all the weather handling ratings.
    Unless there is a sale at a local tire dealer, you should make out better financially by purchasing tires from tirerack or the internet sales site for discount tire. Good luck in your tire search. Ralph
  • andysongtn1andysongtn1 Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering if anyone knows if the 17" wheels that comes on the V6 Accord coupe will fit on a 4 cylinder EX? The wheels I have are 16". I saw a guy selling a set of 17" on ebay for $599 and was tempted to buy it but it would be stupid if it didn't fit my car :)
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    17's will fit, 18's will fit, even 20's might fit :P . It's just a matter of going from a tire size of 205/60 16 to a 215/55 17
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    Yes they'll fit. All gen7 Accord (and Acura TSX) rims are interchangeable, with critical specs like bolt pattern (5x114.3) and offset (+55mm) being identical. My 03 V6 has the 17" TSX wheels with 215/50/17 tires and they work perfectly, although 235/45/17 will probably be my next replacements.

I would also ask the eBay seller for the factory Michelins if they came with the rims; I've tried Bridgestone, Falken and Michelin and Michelin has been the best all-around choice for me in terms of treadlife, quietness and traction (in the southeast, at least).
  • andysongtn1andysongtn1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the help guys.
  • rapriderraprider Member Posts: 42
    Bill59,

I have a 2000 Accord EXV6 Coupe, and have been doing the same research via ConsumerReports and TireRack. Consensus seems to be that since Honda 'recommends' V-rated, that is what should be on the car. Although I'll never even drive as fast as the speed rating of an H-rated, I've basically been advised that the car was designed with certain characteristics, e.g. suspension, etc., and that handling may suffer even at regular driving speeds with non-V-rated tires.

My research has determined a)that most of the H and V rated tires in the current CR report are unavailable in the 205/60/16 size I need, and b)that many of the ones that are available are sub-par for my needs. I too live in the Northeast (NJ), and want/need tires that will not only perform on dry pavement but also wet pavement and occassional snow.

I've researched the following tires available in the required size and V speed rating:
    Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus
    Yokohama Avid V4S
    Sumitomo HTR+
    Pirelli P6
    Bridgestone Turanza LS-V

The Pirelli gets poor/terrible reviews from sites like TireRack and Epinions.

The Yokohama, while it gets high marks for dry and wet handling, is rated poorly for snow handling, something that I can not afford to give up.

I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V for a couple reasons. First, it's cheaper than the Michelin, about $120/tire at TireRack vs. $160/tire, ergo 4 tires for the price of 3. Second, it's not a Michelin. I was very displeased with the OEM Michelin MXV4s that the Honda came with, and replaced them with Toyo Proxes within the first 20k miles. I liked the Toyos very much in most conditions, but as they wore their wet handling seemed to suffer.

I haven't yet discounted the Sumitomo HTR, and may also look into the Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge. Unfortunately, I really like the Falken Ziex ZE512, the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred and the Continental ContiProContact, but alas, they are not available in the needed specs.

I hope this helps, and will let you know once my decision is made within the next few days. I want to get some miles on the new tires before the snow begins to fly.

If anyone has additional input, it is welcome!

Rich
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I just put Bridgestone Potenza G009s on my 1996 Accord and absolutely LOVE them. They are 50,000 mile tires.

They are easily as good as the Michelins, and cost less too. More grippy than my Goodyears in turns and more predictable on the interstate than either my Goodyear or my Michelins (which were prone to hop over expansion joints more readily than these, decreasing my stability at 70 MPH), although they are more aggressive (firmer) in the ride department. I love them though... My tires are stock size for my 4-cyl Accord of 1996, 185/65 - 15...cost was approx $490. The Michelins were over $600, and the Goodyears were cheapies (and it showed when driving them) at $320.

I know they are different types of tires (mine are an H rating) but they do great, rain or shine!
    After all the research and conversations with tire people--most of whom tried to convince me to take an "H" rather than a "V" I decided on and had four Turanza LS-Vs installed yesterday. (I also did not like the OE Michelin MXV4s so I didn't want to replace them with the same tire.)

The ride seems a bit harder and I feel the imperfections in the road more, but I expect this will mellow out as the tires are broken in. Handling seems fine and they seem to grip the road well. I am particularly interesed in how they will do in rain and snow--although I am happy to wait for the later.

My tires needed replacment to pass inspection which expires at the end of the month so I could not wait for Tire Rack. Amazingly the difference in price between a tire shop in Manhattan and a Firestone Care Center on Long Island came to $100 per tire. And the tire dealer didn't have them in stock (2-3 week wait) whereas FCC had them in stock. I paid about $150 per tire and could have gotten Michelins at a similar price at Costco which is giving a $60 rebate in Michelins until early November.

Good luck with your search. I am delighted mine is over.

Bill
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Why would the one tire dealer only sell you Michelin MXV4?

Keep doing your research. there are more tires out there. As someone mentioned, don't be afraid to buy them directly from Tire Rack.
    Why would the one tire dealer only sell you Michelin MXV4?

Probably because they were charging $175 a whack and making a tremendous gross on them!!
    From reading the reviews and ratings on tirerack.com, the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V sounds like a good choice for a replacement. I will be thinking about it while my Michelins wear out (40k miles so far).
    If the Bridgestone Potenza G009 is available in the size for my 2006 EX Accord (205/65 - 16 I believe), I'll definitely replace my Michelins for those Bridgestones that I put on my 1996 Accord (185/65 - 15).
    I gave the Turnana LS-Vs their first day in the rain--heavy, with a lot of flooding and lots of wet leaves. They did just fine, like riding on dry pavement, and much better than the Michelins which liked to spin when starting from a full stop.

As noted before, they are very sensitive to the road surface and each imperfection--the only negative so far.
    As noted before, they are very sensitive to the road surface and each imperfection--the only negative so far.

Do you notice more road noise, and a rougher ride, than with the michelins?
    Yes.
  • herbert11herbert11 Member Posts: 22
    I have been the owner of large GM sedans for the past 30 years. I am now considering a V6 Accord.
    I took a test drive yesterday. It seems to be a solid well built car. However the ride was not acceptable. On the smoothest of roads it felt as though the highway was corrugated. Does anyone know if this is built into the car or could it be the tires?
    The Accord is designed to transmit much more feedback to the driver than what you are used to. IMHO, you should check out the Camry. It might be more suited to your expectations.
    Haha, I just said the exact same thing to him on a different board.

To herbert: Make sure you drive an LE or XLE, the SE model Camry will be rougher/sportier than the LE/XLE.
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    Many people here have found their Accords coming from the factory with 40+ lbs. of air in the tires. That could account for the rough ride.

When bled down to the correct spec, the ride dramatically improves.
    When bled down to the correct spec, the ride dramatically improves.

True enough, but I don't think he'll find it cushy enough to be happy, even running at 32 PSI. The Accord is made to be a sporty sedan, if not a sports-sedan. A Camry-like ride will probably make him really happy. I just can't see someone who likes how big GM sedans rode liking how a Honda rides. I drive an Accord (2 actually), and I like the balance of ride/handling, but it is certainly rough over old interstates in need of repair, especially when compared to cars like Camry and the Honda Odyssey minivan (the only real "smooth" cars I have been in lately to compare it to).
  • kcrossleykcrossley Member Posts: 182
    Today, I was pulling my three month old 2006 Accord EX-L into an end parking space. Upon turning in I kinda felt I was a little too close to the curb. Instead of doing the smart thing, which would have been to backup and reposition the car, I decided to try to make it. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Instead of just scuffing my tires, which we've all done before, I heard the distinct sound of metal scraping against concrete. You guessed it. I ended up scraping the aluminum rim.

What's worse is this incident came shortly after an argument with my lovely bride. I believe her final words to me before I left for the store were something like "what goes around comes around." I guess I got what I deserve.

Anyway, can I have a body shop sand out the scrape or is it more cost effective to simply purchase a new rim? Thanks - Kelly
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    Doubt they can fix the rim, but it might be worth a phone call to ask.

You can get like new refurbished rims from a number of companies that specialize in this kind of business.

http://www.wheelcollision.com/honda1.htm
    This happened to one of my rims on my 92 EX Accord. I ended up buy a new rim, and using the scratched one as a full size spare. This way you have two spares, for the unlikely event when you have two flat tires at the same time. You may be able to get a rim from H and A accessories. Link below

http://www.handaaccessories.com/accord.html
    Found an ad in the December 06 issue of Bimmer magazine for alloy wheel repair. Since it doesn't sound as though your rim suffered physical distortion damage, it might be worth your while visit "TRU-WHEEL"'s website. I've not done business with TRU-WHEEL so my reference isn't based on past experience - just giving you a lead that there are services that will repair damage. (Oh, and welcome to the yin & yang world of marital give and take - we give and they take... ;))
    Great suggestions. I'll let you know what I end up doing. Thanks!
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    So the '93 Accord has had Michelin MXV4s on it since it was born in the 196/60 15H since. They have been more than adequate in snow and bad weather, but didn't handle as well as some on a dry road. The first set lasted about 35k with the second and 3rd sets lasting 50k.
    A replacement tire being considered is the Kumho Ecsta ASX in 195/60VR15. It is listed as an ultra high performance all season tire. The kicker is they are listed for like $45/tire right now, or just less than half the cost of the Michelins. Kumho actually made the tires I used to use for track events a few years back, a DOT R-compound tire, so I am familiar with the brand.
    This a good suggestion, but they don't seem to carry the stock rims I have on my 2006 EX. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where I can obtain one?
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but I couldn't find rims on that site you suggested.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Has anyone verified that a full size tire will fit in the wheel well as the spare does?

I haven't tried it on my 04 sedan, but just looking, it appears a full size tire would not fit. (not enough height??)

I've come close to picking up a full size rim and tire, but doubt that it will fit. I guess I just got to get out there and give it a try.

Mrbill
    The site is kind of screwy. You have to go through parts, then click on accessories. You can't go straight to accessories. They do not have great pictures of the wheels, but you can probably tell if they are the right ones for your car. Good luck.
    Does the 2006 EX have 16" or 17" wheels?
    If you read on the tire, the last number is the rim size. ???/??/16" or 17"
    Has anyone verified that a full size tire will fit in the wheel well as the spare does?

I am wondering that myself. I will measure the tire, and check it with the wheel well tomorrow.
    The 4-cylinder EX is 16". All V6s have 17".
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I haven't measured but I'm sure a full size spare won't fit. Otherwise, they would put one there... or at least offer it as an option. That's why they call them "space-saver" spares. ;)
    I'm still having trouble finding a NEW wheel. I checked H and A and Majestic and neither company seems to have the one I need. Here's what my wheel looks like:

2006 Accord EX Wheel

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    That doesn't appear to be the standard EX alloy wheel judging by my copy of the '06 Accord brochure. The split-spoke design looks like the alloy wheel depicted in the optional "Sport Package" instead.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    So my Kumho Ecsta ASXs are on order. They should be here just after the holiday which is good since one of the tires picked up a nail. Better still is the forecast for the next few days is clear and sunny (and relatively warm).
    It looks like I'm going to beat the snow after all, and maybe in the spring I will be able to enjoy the handling.