Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Tires and Wheels

Comments

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Actually, that wheel is on my 06 EX-L... which is what kcrossley has IIRC. The Honda brochure doesn't show many pictures of anything other than the V6 wheels. The small pic in the back that shows the "Sport Package" is on either an EX or EX-L. I just can't remember if the EX and EX-L have the same wheels. I think they do. And the "Sport Package" isn't really a trimline, it is just something the dealer adds. I never heard anyone talk about it and never really noticed it or the "Convenience Package" shown in the brochure.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    The wheel might have a part number stamped on it somewhere. Using that part number in the search databases will make it easier to find.
    HandA has one that is similar but you are right... it isn't quite the same. I did a Google search on "Honda Wheels" and found this on one site: Wheels

I don't know anything about this place and I'm sure the stock wheels are offered other places. At least you know they are out there. :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It is the standard wheel; it looks identical to those on my 2006 EX (cloth) model, pictured here.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • kcrossleykcrossley Member Posts: 182
    Good suggestion, but I'm trying to find a new one if possible. Transwheel is a remanufactured product. Thanks for your help guys. The search continues...
    Was there an issue with going to the local dealer and buying one?
    Too expensive.
  • tedwhitetedwhite Member Posts: 1
    Ok - Need a little help and I don't know much about cars. I took our 2003 Honda Accord to the dealership and had them put 4 new Michelin X-Ice Snow Tires on Steel Rims on the car.

It was dark when they finished so I couldn't really see the wheels until I got home.

The centre of both the back wheels is covered by a metal cap. The cap is under the steel rim and in the hole in the center of the lug nuts. The centre of both the front wheels is not covered by a cap. In the hole in the middle of the steel rim I can see a nut and a bolt on both the front wheels.

Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    What your seeing is correct. The back is showing the grease cap covering the bearings. The front is showing the end of the axle shafts and the retaining nut.

Mrbill
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Addendum to mrbill1957's learned explanation: Go to WalMart and buy a cheap set of plastic wheel covers for a more presentable appearance during the cold weather season. :)
    Too expensive.

Fair enough, did you try calling Majestic Honda's parts department and seeing what they could do for you?

It seems if you have a part number you should be able to price shop parts departments (especially online). The part number should be stamped on the wheel some where, as should the size.
    Do you think it's stampled on the outside or will I need to remove the wheel from the car?
    I would think you could call a dealer and ask for the part number.
    Kumhos came in, got installed last night (Sears gave me a $5 off $25 dollars coupon to wander the store while they were changing the tires). Today I woke up to rain and localized flooding, and brand new tires with full tread depth did fine. The ride smoothed out a little bit from the tread-wear indicator MXV4s.
    Tomorrow we are supposed to get snow, although there is some debate as to if it will accumulate. Mon and Tues they are predicting more so I should have a better feel by then.
    Maybe over the weekend (which should be cool and dry) I will get to enjoy the tires a little with all the mold release and break in out of the way.
    Here's to another 40k :)
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...well written review LEB...

..wish someone would do the same for Mich Pilot Exaltos....

..seasons best..ez..
    Woohoo unseasonably warm temps have allowed some exploration of the newfound handling prowess afforded by tires that aren't rocks.
    Highway cloverleaf ramp by my house, marked at 30, previously taken at 45 with tires squealing (but car handling fine). At 50, the car is more effort and its not fun anymore because I am working too hard to keep the car on the line and the tires have gone from squealing to screaming.
    New tires, ramp taken at 50, no drama, tires fine, MDW squealing. The tires don't have the reassuring turn-in the SP5000s had on the other car, but they don't have that turn-wait-correct-turn feeling the MXV4s had. So far so good.
  • stevehechtstevehecht Member Posts: 96
    If you were going to replace the stock Michelin MXM4s and your priorities were (in order):

1) Improved handling
    2) Good (or acceptable) traction in rain, snow, ice
    3) Decreased road noise
    4) Longevity

Which tires would you consider?--or do the stocks offer a reasonable accomodation for all four factors?
    Its not hard to get improved handling beyond the stock Michelins. They are put on there to be a compromise of the factors you mentioned, but they might not be in the same order of priorities.
    A good place to start is tirerack.com. You can look at tires by category (you might be interested in going from a touring tire to a high performance or ultra high performance all season). They have a rating for tire that looks at dry traction and rain and snow traction. They also have subjective reviews from users, which are helpful but should be taken with a grain of salt.
    Anytime you replace old worn out tires with new tires, the ride quality will improve and get quieter and the grip in rain, snow and ice will improve (my MXV4s were great when they were new, but by the time I replaced them 60k later, they were loud and bumpy, squealed all the time, etc, so any tire would probably have felt better).
    Yokahama has a tire they market to be quieter than most, its the Avid DB or something. I don't know if it actually is quieter or not.
  • pidpid Member Posts: 1
    I have always had horrible traction on ice and snow with my 1995 Accord Ex 4-dr, P195-60-R15s. Won't go up hills that all other cars negotiate well, goes into tailspins even slowly on corners. Have been told this is true for all 92-95 or so Accords, due to the low profile tires, and that taller sidewalls will help. Anyone have any experience or advice? My son is driving it now, and we now have ice and snow, and I want it as safe as possible. Thanks.
    Wow.I never had a problem with the Accord in snow on MXV4s or now on the Kumho Ecsta ASXs. The sidewall profile has nothing to do with it. They are only 195s so its not like they are super wide (typically narrow tires are better in snow and ice, but you don't have something that wide to start with).
    If you are getting a lot of snow and ice, you should probably consider real dedicated winter tires. The rubber compound is designed to work better at lower temperatures than a summer or all season tire.
    What is the brand and model of tire on there now? I have always been impressed with the traction on our 93.
  • scubaduscubadu Member Posts: 17
    The Turanzas are nice tires. They were OEM on my 1998 Accord LX V6.
  • iamneighbordaviamneighbordav Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know how to repair the rear wheel wells on my 1993 Honda Accord Wagon. I went to a local body shop and they said it could not be done because it had rusted though both the inner and outer sheet metal.

Is there a way to fix this? Are there any replacement parts for this? The rust holes are about the size of a deck of cards. It is a great car and I just want to fix it and paint it again.

Thanks for your help, David
    To do it right, you need to cut out the rusty metal and replace it with new metal. You might try a salvage yard that specializes in Honda to get fenders and quarter panels or what not.
    Also, I am not sure what they mean by inner metal...if the frame components are rusted out or the suspension towers and mounting points, the car is done.
    None of these are cost effective repairs. If you are worried about rust you need to maintain it before it gets to this point.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    I think what they are talking about when they say "inner metal" is the inner wheel wells are also rusted thru.

It would be too costly to have complete panels replaced, so as mentioned, the rust would need to be cut out, and repair patches installed.

I would call a few more body shops and ask if they are willing to patch rust. It's probably not as big a money maker for them as collision repairs, so you may have to catch them at a slow time. If they did patch it, the rust will eventually return or pop put somewhere else, so they probably won't stand behind any repairs.

If you do decide to have it patched, make sure you understand what type of repair your getting. Are they cutting out the rusted areas and replacing with new metal, or they just pounding in the metal around the hole and filling with body filler. The latter will be cheaper, but won't last very long before rust bubbles start to appear.

Mrbill
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Find a Discount Tire store in your area. They have the best prices,free lifetime rotation and balancing. Go to tire rack and read the reviews and ratings of the various tires. I chose Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads. They ride very smoothly and quietly, better than the Michelin oems. They don't handle quite as quickly and gas mileage may drop 1 mpg but they transformed the ride comfort of my 02 v6. Hope this helps.
  • lin619lin619 Member Posts: 1
    I've just learned about the Michelins that came on my 2001 Accord (my first Honda, bought CPO in 2004 from a dealer-- I love it in every other respect). What a shock to discover that these tires don't last as long as "ordinary" ones and cost more than twice as much.

I need new tires pretty urgently and have just spent a couple of nights reading these posts and trying to understand them, to figure out what other kinds of tires I could get that would give me safety and good handling.

So I'd like to ask: it's been about 6 weeks... are you still happy with your Kumhos tires? Thanks for any advice!
    Lin619, its important to keep in mind there are levels which in each brand. Michelin Pilots are more of a performance tire and will handle better and wear faster than an MXV4 for example.
    I thought the Michelin MXV4 gave a good ride, had good traction in inclement weather, and handled like a sleepy pig on dry roads. They also lasted about 50k (I believe they are rated for 60k).
    The Khumo Ectsa ASXs have had no problem with rain (any new tire at full tread depth should feel fine) or what little snow there has been around here. The ride quality seems comparable at the very least, and they are alot more fun on dry roads. They are also only rated to last 35k, but at 1/3 the Michelin's price, I don't care.
    Actually, its even more than that though, I bought these tires because I didn't think I was going to hang onto the car that much longer, but now its pretty fun to drive and I'm enjoying it again.
  • 03coupe03coupe Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if there is any problem using 225/60-16 tires on a 2003 Accord coupe 4cl? A friend just offered me 4 almost new winter tires this size, but before I go buy larger steel rims I'd like to be sure that there won't be a problem with the larger size.

Thanks for any help!
  • trwhousetrwhouse Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have been shopping for four 195/60-15 stock-sized tires for my 1992 Accord wagon for a month and can't find the right ones to buy.
    I was looking originally at Michelin Hydroedge tires but then learned that they are not H-rated, which is required for the wagons. I also looked at Yokohama Avid TRZs but rejected them for the same reasons.
    I am looking for tires that provide excellent traction, especially in rain and snow like we get here in PA, while also getting at least 60K or so in mileage.
    I have always been a Michelin fan and have had great luck with their Sears-branded Weatherwise tires on other Hondas but again, there is no H-rated size for my car. Ugh.
    Has anyone put a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds on their Accord wagon? I am eyeing these very seriously.
    They are expensive but seem to get good ratings on Tire Rack's Web site.
    Someone else mentioned Bridgestone Turanzas but I am leery of Bridgestone quality and mileage. Any thoughts?
    The last tires I put on were a set of four BF Goodrich Traction TAs. They were fine the first year but lousy after that, with poor mileage and lousy traction in rain and snow. No more BF Goodrich for me.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks!
    Best wishes,
    Todd
    I would have no problems putting S or T rated tires on an Accord. H is a speed rating of 130 mph. Typically in my commute, I find I rarely exceed the 112 mph rating of the T rated tire.
    The load rating (a two digit number like 88 or 91) is more important, and any passenger car tire is going to have adequate load range for your Accord wagon.
    I have had ok luck with the Bridgestones in the past, but better with the Dunlops (SP sports and SP4000/5000s). Also, BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin I believe (as Firestone is owned by Bridestone).
    HTH
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I have the goodyear comfortreads on my 02 exlv6 they are very smooth riding tires. The triple treads are the next step up. They come with an 80k warranty so if they don't last, you just get some new ones for the prorated amount. The comfort treads don't handle as well as the oem michelins but are much smoother. You may also lose 1-2 mpg. Just my .02. Hope this helps.
  • george201george201 Member Posts: 6
    I was wondering if you have any luck in getting those wheels. If so, would you like to in turn sell me the original ones from your EX?
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    My new 2007 Accord LX Sedan came with 15" steel wheels. I know I could have upgraded to the SE and gotten alloys, but I'm not crazy about the look of those, and they didn't have an SE on the lot anyway.

I've been looking online (H and A accesories, and eBay) but some of the wheels I like are 16" or 17".

Besides the speedometer being slightly off, what else do I need to consider if I end up changing the diameter of the wheels on the car?
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The main thing you want to look at when going to a larger rim is the diameter of the tire. If you go with a larger rim, you need a tire with a shorter sidewall. Tirerack.com has diameters for the various tires. Check the diameter for the original tires, and try to get something close to that, maybe a little larger. If you go with something 18" or larger, you are sacrificing some ride comfort, with the low profile tires. Large heavy wheels are also hard on fuel mileage, and transmissions. So try to find the lightest rims you can.
    I was thinking about these wheels when my tires need replacing. They can be found on HandAccessories.com. They are 17".
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Yeah I would definitely look at the tire and wheel packages from tire rack and similar. I would probably look at a 17" tire and wheel package with a lightweight wheel and a ultra-high or very high performance all season tire, unless you are in CA or FL in which I would look for a summer tire.
    Elroy's comments about size and weight are very important. Bigger isn't always better for handling. 16 and 17" wheels are the sweet spot, IMHO.
    Options:

I like these from H and A, and I could re-mount the brand new 15" Bridgestone Turanza tires that came with car.

If I go bigger I'm looking at a slightly used set, maybe from eBay, that comes complete with tires, and I'll just keep the stock wheels/tires. Here's a used (very little tire wear, look almost new) set of 17's I like:

Comments / Opinions ?
    What is your goal? What are you looking to acheive?
    Is it purely an aesthetic change you seek? Small alloy wheels on stock crappy tires will not create a performance machine, but if you just hate the hubcaps, this is a possible solution. You should also budget in the ~$15/tire to dismount and remount onto the new wheel.
    The 17" stock rims would accompany some lower profile tires, possibly wider as well (are the stock wheels 6" and those are 6.5 or 7?). A good tire choice could help the handling alot and not have a big toll on fuel economy. You should calculate the tire size using a tool like this: Tire Size Calculator
    If you don't need a big H on the wheels, you may want to check out tirerack, discounttire, or edgeracing. You can probably find a suitable package there that may be more budget friendly.
    I don't like your choices, but hey, it's your car. If I were going to buy rims for my car, I don't want them to look like other Accords. I want them to be different from the normal Honda wheels you see on Accords every day.
    Personally, I like the wheels on the bottom (the "iSoldIt" ones). They are sharp to me, but I like two major things in wheel designs - split spokes, and polished alloy, like those that come on the Special Edition and EX 4-cylinder Accords.
    Elroy makes a good point. My '95 Accord was the first car I've owned that I didn't change the stock wheels on. I'd rather have it different if I'm going to spend the money. I guess I'm getting cheaper in my old age. :)

That said, of all the new Accord wheels I've seen, I still like those that came on my 06 EX-L I4 the best.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    Your EX-L came with Bridgestones? My EX came with Michelins... interesting. What gives?
    I always thought that was strange too. Most seem to have the Michelins but a few have posted here with Bridgestones. I'm not sure why there are two options unless they put the Bridgestones on the EX-L and the Michelins on the EX. The other difference for you and me is the manual vs. auto.

I never think to ask the dealer when I am there.
    The Michelins are more costly but neither is a super high performance tire...maybe there was a supply chain issue for some of the cars.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    It could depend on the plant it comes out of. Accords come to the US from Ohio, Japan, and Mexico.
    I thought of that but I think thegrad's and mine both came from Ohio. I know mine did.
    My goal is purely aesthetic.

I thought the top wheels looked unique, I've never seen them before. Maybe they are more common than I realize.

Anyways, thanks for the opinions! I'm in no rush to change them out, just making plans for the future.
    I'm in no rush to change them out, just making plans for the future.

Yes, I am thinking about different wheels too, but not until my original tires need replacing. It gives me more time to think about what I want.
    Yes, mine is an Ohio-made, Automatic, EX, with cloth interior.
    So we got our first (and possibly last) real snow for the season which put 5-7" on the ground. To make a long story short, I thought the car did fine. The biggest issue was I couldn't get out of my street going forward, but reverse was fine and I was able to back all the way down the street. My subdivision sucked but the car fine. If I had to get out of the grove though and didn't have momentum, I usually had to back up into the grove and start going foward again.
    The two track on the highway and on surface streets by work was fun. The car never felt out of control at all and very stable (altough not as stable as the Subie, but that's AWD).