Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 460 Suggested Improvements

2»

Comments

• Options
    partin1partin1 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2008 460 LS which sounds like a diesel. The noise began approx. 3000 miles. On our third visit to Lexus for service, the service manager acknowledged the noise. He stated that this was a common problem with the pump and injectors. They stated to us that they do not know why some 2008s have the problem are not. They are certain that there is nothing wrong with the engine because it has totally been check "by the computer". I have written 1 letter and another time was told that a Lexus service rep would call me last month. To date I have not heard from the rep. nor has my letter been acknowledged.

At this time I am scared for my safety in this car. If I trade it for another car, I fear that I am just endangering the next buyer. BEWARE of a 2008 LS 460. When buying one, turn the radio off and listen to the motor. Drive the car and stop and listen. If you hear a noise under the hood run.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I think you're over reacting. My 1972 Mustang made (what I think is the similar noise) in the engine since 1973, and is still running with that same noise today at over 100,000 miles. My 1996 Lexus ES300 makes the same noise, and has over 100,000 miles on it. My 2009 LS460 makes that same noise, and has 10,000 miles, I am not concerned in the least. If the engine fails before the warranty is up, Toyota will replace it, but if it doesn't fail by then, odds are very good it never will, and the noise is impossible to hear inside the car with the windows up, certainly with the radio on you can't hear it. It's a slight ticking noise that sort of comes and goes if we're talking about the same noise. I'm not worried, and certainly not going to run. I'm very happy with the LS, I have had no issues at all with the car. :blush:
  • Options
    jmcraneyjmcraney Member Posts: 19
    Some of the 07-09 (and probably 10s) LS460/600s have a problem that is commonly referred to as a "Wind Noise" problem. An element of this problem is noise isolation - the cars have poor isolation from sounds that are occurring outside the cabin. Repairing this defect is inexpensive - it's a $2, ten minute DIY project - but you can not get it fixed at a Lexus dealer. If you run out of options, you should consider this before you give up.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Yes, I've heard that, and avoided an 07 for that reason, but I have yet to detect any such noise in my 09, happily.
  • Options
    partin1partin1 Member Posts: 2
    You can drive the car with the windows up and the radio on and hear the noise. The dealers will "get back to you" about a trade once they take the car off to check it. They know they can't resale with this kind of noise.
  • Options
    cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 15
    Hi jmcraney,

How do you repair the wind noise ?

Please shed some light on it. Thank you.
  • Options
    ps79ps79 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2010 LS460 purchased in April. One week ago my USB port stopped working The dealership has told me that Lexus is aware of the problem but there is no fix for the problem. Has anyone encounter this problem and response. To say the least after purchasing a 65K automobile, I find this unacceptable since many competitor cars have this option. Also other Lexus models do not have this problem
This discussion has been closed.