Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Brake Problems

Comments

• kjs123kjs123 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Ranger2.5L. The truck sat for about a month with a few starts here and there. Now when i press the brake pedal down it stays down and will not come back up. When i hit the brake, the clutch also goes down some with it. The clutch pedal also stays down but is not as bad as the brake pedal. Any ideas what this may be? Cables?

Thanks in advance!
  • philliplcphilliplc Member Posts: 136
    1998 XLT here with brakes that have always had some bad grab <15 MPH when cold or wet, sometimes causing the vehicle to skid for a few feet. Ford mechanic found nothing wrong, and of course couldn't duplicate it with the brakes warmed up.

From skimming this thread it sounds like that might just be a Ranger design flaw. Assuming it's just to the rear drums catching on slight rust build up or whatever, is there no easy fix? Just something to live with?

Thanks!
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    'Ride' the brakes gently for the first 100 yards on wet mornings. This will stop the grab on the first stop. Worked on my 94 which lived in a nice garage and still grabbed in wet weather.
  • garyg8garyg8 Member Posts: 1
    This original post is about a year old. Did the ABS pump bleed work?
    I have the same problem on a '99 4x4, but have not done a "normal"system bleed yet.
    I really want to get this taken care of ASAP.

Thanks
  • bigzomanbigzoman Member Posts: 4
    took it to a dealer they repressureized the system haven't had any problems since.
  • skeglerskegler Member Posts: 1
    I have a '90 ranger w/2.3. When i press brake pedal ignition lights come on without key in ignition. Have replaced ign. cylinder and ign. switch. Can this brake light switch be bad enough to do this and completely drain my battery. All lights still work and no blown fuses. No burnt wires. Truck is in very good cond. 'cept this new glitch.

When i disconnect neg. cable and reconnect this does not happen again until i put key in turn it ,pull key out and then press brake pedal and then the ign. lights come on. Did this before i replaced ign. parts.
  • flake55flake55 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I am not sure if you had this fixed yet, but I had the exact same problem with an 01 Ranger. Every mechanic wanted to change everything to do with my brakes until I told them to just change the speed sensors. On the 01, I had two sensors (left/right sides) that monitor the speed of the wheel. I changed both of them and the front brakes work fine.
  • redmann1redmann1 Member Posts: 1
    I just read about your problem . I got the same 94 Ranger with the same problem . I kept opening brake lines till I got to the abs valve on driver side frame rail. No fluid would come out of it . Did you change this valve ? If so did it fix the problem? This valve costs close to $ 200.00 don't need to throw parts at the problem especially when they cost $200.bucks
  • ptclerkptclerk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Ranger 2WD with a brake problem that has stumped my mechanic. When I back down my steep driveway in the morning (rpms above 1200) my brake pedal can reach the mechanical stop without locking up my brakes. I slow down, but if driving fast down the driveway I find that I can't completely stop. All four brakes have been inspected along with the master cylinder and fluids. Brakes are pressing 60/40 front/back. My mechanic (private shop with 25+ years experience) has never had such a problem, and didn't find any alerts from Ford that address the problem. Anyone encounter such a problem? Got a fix for it?
  • rangerdanger2rangerdanger2 Member Posts: 1
    if you figure this out please let me know.... same problem just got a '02 4x4 damn thing kinda klicks at times slows down but continues to go foward. I actually had the truck 2 days and today ran into a retaining wall because of it... please help us..
    I know its not the pads rotors or fluids.. gotta be something electronic.
  • buster15buster15 Member Posts: 38
    I have a 1999 4 L 4x4, same problem 2 yrs ago. It turned out to be the front left wheel sensor in the hub.

Let me know.
    Dave
  • bill87bill87 Member Posts: 4
    I have no back brakes. I cannot get brake fluid to the rear brakes. I have plenty of fluid. I do have fluid going to the thing under the drivers seat. I do not have fluid coming out of it. I assume that it is bad, but I have no idea what to call it. Anybody know what it is called or ever have this problem?
  • itaskakiditaskakid Member Posts: 1
    Just bought 2009 ford ranger and enjoy it very much. For the braking system on this truck is there any precautions that i should take when breaking this truck in?
    This truck, if like my 94, has rear wheel ABS. You probably have air in the ABS pump. You cannot get the air out with a 'regular' 'open a bleeder and pump the pedal' procedure.

You are going to have to take it to a shop that has the correct tech tool. This tool will activate the ABS pump to push the air out. You cannot do this manually.
    Read the owner's manual for break-in processes.

It will probably say to not use 'excessive braking' for the first 500 miles. In other words, do not do several high speed braking passes or descend a long, steep hill for the first few miles. But the ABS should keep you from 'locking up' the brakes from a high speed stop....
  • bkj228bkj228 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ranger. My left rear brakes lock up. I Have to jack up the truck no matter where I'm at remove the drum to turn the self adjuster in all the way so to free up the wheel. This just suddenly started, I'm not sure if it's the emergency brake or maybe the wheel cylinder isn't retracting. I quit using the emergency brake as of last night.
    It starts out alright at times then will start locking up to the point that my wheel doesn't turn at all. But I did manage to drive it home last night after a 10 mile drive just fine. But there was a smell of like overheated brakes or drums when I got out. I felt the drums but they where cool to the touch. I also looked for any fluid leaks but I don't see any and the master cylinder is full. If it helps the recent weather here was rain\sleet now snowy. But the roads now are dry not slushy.
    Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • jgarandjgarand Member Posts: 1
    I drove my 94 Ranger (V6 manual) to run some errands yesterday and had no problems. However, when I went to go drive it last night I got in and when I stepped on the brake pedal it went all the way to the floor. I didn't have time to look at it last night and borrowed a car from a friend. This morning I go look at it and it appears that I lost a lot of brake fluid from the right front brake. What type of repairs might I be looking at and any idea on the cost? Thanks.
  • ryan_idahoryan_idaho Member Posts: 1
    It was cold here, below 0, and one day my e brake light turned on and stayed on. I verified that the brake was disengaged and it is. The light is still on. Any ideas? I heard that the sensor/switch may be bad. How do you disengage this or turn off the light?
  • xrfunxrfun Member Posts: 1
    hi i have an 08 ranger wildtrak. The brakes have failed 6 times in 26k miles. the dealers are not able to diagnose a fault or replicate the fault on a test drive. i have spoken to an engineer who works on abs systems,the diagnosis i was given was that it is probably the system is sensing the wheel speeds on initial breaking ,making the abs "think" that there is ice and probably only allowing about 10 percent of the breaking power. has anyone else experienced this or got a solution?
  • ar_footerar_footer Member Posts: 3
    My Ranger has started having brake problems. When you touch the brake pedal it will start down on its own until the rear brakes lock. You can pull the pedal back up with your foot and everything is fine until the next time you touch the brake pedal. The pedal will return to the top but you have to give it some time. If you are sitting still, the pedal doesn't seem to have the same problem. What could be the cause for this problem?
    A wild guess would be some kind of booster problem.
    That is kind of what I was thinking but wanted to get other opinions before starting the repair.
    Let the car idle. Foot off brake. Then push the brake - does the idle speed change? If so, then there is a large vacumn leak in the booster, which effects the rich/lean mixture and causes the idle change.
    I will give this a try. The truck has never really idled correctly. In fact, until it gets really warmed up it will not idle at all. I will get it warmed up and give this a try. I believe that the brake booster is the problem.
  • davematthews23davematthews23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 ford ranger, whenever it is below freezing the front brakes lock up and I cant get it out of my driveway. Today was the worst ive seen so far, I had to put it in 4 wheel drive and floor it to get it to move. when it finally did it made a horrible clunk noise and sounded like I broke something. Why is this? How can ice cause it to freeze up that badly?
  • trustydustytrustydusty Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Ranger did this this morning. But it was a rear brake. I put in 4WD and pulled it around until the wheel broke loose. It was snowy and slick so this took quite a while. Anyone know what is wrong?
  • poorboy51poorboy51 Member Posts: 1
    fuses ck good also do the bulbs changed brakelight switch and still no brake lights
  • tjbeartjbear Member Posts: 1
    I have read about numerous concerns with Ranger braking problems and here is the one that I have. My 2002 "Edge" has been a great truck except for the braking system the past couple of years. The problem is that in warm to hot weather(I live in Phoenix) the brakes tend to get very spongy after the truck has been driven for ten minutes or so. The pads have been replaced as has the booster but the problem persists. Is there a way of correcting this problem by beefing up the braking system or is it just an inherent defect that can't really be solved? Any info would be appreciated! Terry
    First guess would have been the switch, I went thru 3 on my 94 in about 8 years.

Only thing I would suggest - test for 12 volts at the brake switch. It's hot all the time, even with ignition off (on most cars. I was like this on my 94). Test on both sides of the switch, of course you have to push brake down to get switch to connect. If you have 12 volts here, you know problem is toward the back of the truck. If no power there, it's toward the front of the car......
  • justme52justme52 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the exact same problem!!!.... and it dosn't have to be below freezing!
    Mine wouldn't go forward or back ! .. ( I floored it in reverse) and exactly like you said.. made a horrible clunk noise ..like something broke loose.
  • justme52justme52 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    would not go foward or back !!! I freaked and floored it ! a huge clunking noise like something broke loose. This has happened 3-4 times.. and it dosn't seem to be a cold or hot weather situation.!
  • thebratt73thebratt73 Member Posts: 3
    ok i have a 97 ford ranger and my brake lights and the cargo light above the rear window don't go out when i shut the truck off it's as if the brake is still pushed in could it b anything other than the brakelight switch?
  • lovewalkinglovewalking Member Posts: 1
    I haven't noticed any problems with the brakes, but last week the brake light and the ABS light came on together - the Ranger manual states that possible brake failure can occur when both lights are lit. The lights failed to come on for the local mechanic after test drives over 4 days. I picked the truck up this morning, drove it less than a mile and the both light are back on. Need some expert advice on what to repair/replace. Thank you!
  • rangerbuddyrangerbuddy Member Posts: 1
    Within the last few weeks I have had some problems with my brakes. Every now and then in the mornings, or just randomly through out the day when I apply a small bit of pressure on the brake pedal going slow my truck comes to a hault and it seems the abs kicks in too much when it shouldn't be. If I apply more pressure to the brake pedal, the truck does the same thing then the pedal becomes slightly soft, and I lose brake power and hear a rapid clicking noise.

Any suggestions?
    This may not help you, but on my older 1994 Ranger, which had only 2 wheel ABS (rear wheels), when the brake fluid got a little low, the ABS light came on. Not low enough to pull air, but a little low when the brakes wore down. Just added a little fluid and the ABS light went off.
  • dave351dave351 Member Posts: 1
    did you check the rear brake hoses ... if they are old they can clog and prevent the fluid from returning back to the system... thus locking your brakes on... hope this helps..
  • tms50tms50 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ranger 4x4. Once in a wile the front right disc brake will lock up when pulling forward. can back up then pull forward about a foot then it locks up. Also when I turn left into a parking spot and hit the brake the peddle will go to the floor.
  • nonmechanic3nonmechanic3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 xlt ford ranger , took it to the shop for scrubbing brakes, they changed the brake pads, master cylinder, sensor, back rotors etc the list goes on and on, brakes still go to the floor, not like they were when I took it to the shop, they keep telling me its this that etc what is going on??? the pedal seems to go the floor until pumped while driving, I know my truck has237,000 miles, but 2 yrs ago I went through the same problem at another shop. Can anyone help me? what seems to be the problem.
    I think you have a very crappy mechanic. And one that just throws parts at the job, and still is not getting you any brakes.

If air gets into the ABS pump, you cannot flush the air out in the 'usual' way of pumping the brakes with a brake bleeder open. You must have a special electronic tool that is hooked into the ABS electronics, and this will force the ABS pump to start, and then the air can be forced out a bleeder.

If your mechanic doesn't know this, and doesn't have the tool, he will never manually bleed the air out of the ABS pump, and you will not have brakes.
  • ensaroensaro Member Posts: 1
    brakes on my 98 ford ranger work only if engine is turned off.
    please help me.
    With the little info you've given, I'm guessing the vacumn booster is bad.
  • dkarandkaran Member Posts: 2
    I have two problems with the brakes on my 2001 ranger; and I believe they may be related.
    Problem #1: The ABS seems to engage for no apparent reason when coming to a stop on dry payment (etal) and at very slow speed (almost stopped). I have replaced the rear ABS sensor -no improvement.
    Problem #2: The front pads do not seem to exert enough force to clean the rotors. I have 86k miles and have replaced the rotors twice and had them resurfaced once. This applies to both front rotors. When I check them after only about 5k miles of use the pad contact surface is very rusted/corroded and shows only about .5" to 1" of contact use.
  • ron4400ron4400 Member Posts: 4
    that's what i'm on here to try and find out. my 03 4x4 had brake work done and now the abs kicks in only at almost dead stop on dry pavement. do these have front and rear sensors?
  • dkarandkaran Member Posts: 2
    Ron, The answer is YES. The rear sensor is located atop the differential. It inexpensive and easy to replace (one fastener retains it to the housing). I recently purchased a Ford service manual and learned that there are two sensors in the front axle also. They are located inside of the spindle housings. The rotor shield has to be removed to access them. I will confrm that info in the next few days. I understand they are a lot more expensive than the rear.
  • tom328tom328 Member Posts: 1
    Hey fellas, I figured I would give this a try, I have a 03 Ranger Edge 4.0. I had some pulsating brakes. So I replaced both front rotors, hubs, bearings, seals, and brake pads. Good news is no pulsing coming downhill at high speed, bad news is at low speed with light pedal pressure sometimes I am hearing dragging and what feels like slight slippage. I dont know if this is due to the new rotor and it will stop. But it has me a little stumped. I did not brake any lines so there was no line bleeding necessary, and I have not taken my truck in for electrical analysis, there has been no ABS light. All help appreciated. Thanks.
  • brickybricky Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    brake light switch won't trigger brake lights. When I move the switch a little on brake pedal it does. Would it need new switch that will fit tighter or Am i wasting time? Ford Ranger
    edited August 2011
    By a new brake light switch.

My 1994 Ranger went thru about 3 or 4 in 10 years.

Also, on my 94 when the switch was bad it made the cruise control dangerous. Without the brake switch throwing a signel, the cruise stayed engaged. Had to shut it off to stop it.
  • lauriep1lauriep1 Member Posts: 2
  • lauriep1lauriep1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 ranger 4x4 and the brakes started having a problem, sometimes it seems like there isn't enough brake pressure or grab and other times it seems like there is too much grab. We have replaced the calipers, rotors, pads and brake booster and bled the brake lines, but the problem persists. Can anyone help?
    Take it back, if a shop did all this work. They need to make it right. Bad brakes are dangerous to you and others.