Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Audio Questions

backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
Questions about the audio system on your Elantra? Want to know how to swap out the factory unit? Connect an iPod or MP3 player? (Or just play MP3s--possible on some factory Elantra audio systems). Ask away!

Comments

• drsunilsdrsunils Member Posts: 1
    I've a question does all 2007 Hyundai elantra's have mp3CD playback capability??
    When i saw the ads online ..it said for standard 2007 Hyundai elantra SE car-
    1) 172-watt AM/FM/XM¹/CD/MP3 audio system w/ 6 speakers and auxiliary input jack
    ¹Prices shown are for XM Satellite configured vehicles only. Vehicle availability will vary. See your local Hyundai dealer for details. Actual prices are set by dealer.
    2)When I look at the pictures posted online the interior show mp3 symbol on its audio equipment.(need to zoomin a bit;)

Am I mistaken or should ask the www.hyundaiusa.com please advice.
    Thanks.
  • acura03gacura03g Member Posts: 76
    I haven't tried a MP3 CD. I just plug my MP3 player (with over 1000 songs!) into the aux jack. Sound quality is pretty good.
  • geoelectricgeoelectric Member Posts: 10
    I'm pretty sure they all have MP3 CD (the ones with stereos, at least :) The instruction manual went through a few variations, and both CD players had MP3-playing instructions.
  • rguedelrguedel Member Posts: 11
    Hi all,
    I have a 2004 Elantra GT and the cd player has recently started skipping. I bought a cd head cleaner and ran it through, but it is still skipping. Has anyone else had problems with this? I'm not sure if this is covered under the warranty or not.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    if your car has less than 36,000 miles or less than 3 years old it should be replaced under warranty. I had my cd/radio replaced under warranty ( car had 35,400 miles on it) I told the service advisor I was having problems with the cd player. They replaced without any hassles
    36000 miles warranty? My 07 Elantra has 5yr/60,000 miles comprehensive warranty. Did they just raise it?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Check your car's warranty book. Radios are covered only for 3 years/36k miles--or at least that was the case in the past. Maybe it changed for 2007?
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    the radio is still covered for only 3years/36k miles. I called the hyundai service department I deal with
    you're right. I didn't read the manual carefully.

"Following components covered for time and mileage limits indicated:
    - Radio And Sound Systems (i.e. radio, cassette tape drive mechanism, and compact disc player): 3 years / 36,000 miles
    - Paint: 3 years/ 36,000 miles
    - Battery: 3 years / unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years / unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
    - Air Conditioner Refrigerant Charge: 1 year / unlimited miles
    - Adjustments: 1 year / 12,000 miles
    - Wear Items: 1 year / 12,000 miles (e.g. belts, brake pads & linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs, fuses) "
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    So much for Hyundai's faith in its audio systems vis-a-vis the "comprehensive" 5/60 basic warranty... ;) I gotta admit I'm impressed with the OEM "Delkor" battery my '03 Sonata came with. It's been in service a full forty-nine+ months and still kicks the engine over with dependable authority. (I have a feeling when it dumps, though, it'll do so with little or no warning.)
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    actually it is called a "limited warranty." hyundai may "only" warrant the radio 3yrs 36K, but that is as long as every [non-permissible content removed] and domestic warranty (except for mitsu). Not to mention hyundai doesn't make the radio equipment, kenwood does, although i'm not sure how long they have been doing this for. Look through others manufacturs warranty and you will find they don't warrant everything for their full limited warranty either. just some info....
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Actually, Hyundai *does* make their own radios. The OEM radio in my 05 Elantra GLS was made by "Hyundai Autonet Co., Ltd." according to what it says on radio itself. Kenwood made *some* radios (for the 04 Elantra GTs and as an option on 06 Elantras). If you're interested, here are the Kenwood manuals for each:

KDC-MPV622 for 2004 (5.37 MB pdf file)

EZ-500H3 for 2006 (2.35 MB pdf file)
  • tikboytikboy Member Posts: 1
    hi pls help me with my problem i want to replace the factory car stereo unit but i dont know how to uninstall it i hope u can help me with this thanx :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    doohickie, didn't you post directions on how to do this at some point?
    For 2001-2006 Elantras, this will work: Here's a link to directions for removing the dash fascia. Do that first, then to remove the stereo, take out six screws, three on each side (two next to the stereo and one next to the bin beneath it). When you pull the stereo out, the stereo and bin come out as one piece and are attached together with brackets.

Unscrew the Hyundai stereo from the brackets and replace it with the aftermarket stereo. Most aftermarket stereos come with a face plate and a trim bezel. The bezel usually doesn't fit, just leave it off. The new stereo will probably have several holes in the side to attach it to the brackets; use one that is halfway down from top to bottom, and make sure the bin sticks out farther than the new stereo (without the faceplate on). If the stereo chassis sticks out farther than the bin,

For the electrical hookups, most aftermarket stereos are color coded. There is an adapter harness you can buy that plugs into the car's wiring and you splice to the stereo, matching the colors. I made a little chart showing the colors. If you have the adapter harness, the only colors you need to worry about are in the right hand column.

One thing that messes people up are the illumination leads. Generally you don't need to hook those up at all, and if you do it can lead to problems depending on how they are hooked up.
    Also, I mentioned the bezel. When the bezel is omitted, a small gap will remain between the stereo detachable face and the dash fascia. Here is a post where I discussed what can be done about it. There are several options.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Doohickie, will you consider contributing this great stuff to the new CarSpace Guides section? It's fun and you'll have a handy place to send people in the future.
  • edowadoedowado Member Posts: 10
    Anyone get an Elantra with XM that is factory or dealer installed? Is the AM/FM radio antennae base still there and does AM/FM still work?
  • priv8warriorpriv8warrior Member Posts: 13
    With the factory XM radio on my Elantra SE the antenna is in the rear window. AM/FM radio works great.
  • edowadoedowado Member Posts: 10
    Wait, you got an SE with XM factory standard, where and when did you get your car?

Now, I wonder how it will work if the dealership's service dept installs it.
    I'll look into the CarSpace Guides. I was thinking that it would be handy to have an area like that on this site, and it turns out there already is one!

I've done several DIYs for other forums. The ones I've written I can transfer over. There are other's I've referenced that are written by others; would it be okay to link to those sites (since I don't feel comfy copying someone else's work)?
    The locations for the manuals for Kenwood stereos sold as OE Hyundai stereos changed. Kenwood seems to reeorganize their site a lot. Anyway, here are the new links:

Here are the owner manuals online:

KDC-MPV622 for 2004

EZ-500H3 for 2006
    I've done several DIYs for other forums. The ones I've written I can transfer over.

That would be great!

There are other's I've referenced that are written by others; would it be okay to link to those sites

The best way to do that would be to write a guide with some "guide stuff" in it and include other links as you go. You wouldn't be able to write a guide that was nothing but link(s) elsewhere.

Let us know when you get some posted! :)
  • priv8warriorpriv8warrior Member Posts: 13
    Yes, just purchased last Saturday - was a dealer trade from Minnesota.
    That is SUPER!! :D
    We've been doing that kind of stuff over at ElantraClub for a while. I just took several and put them into one.
  • pbayarrilmtpbayarrilmt Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the factory radio has AUX inputs in the back ? I bought a Harman Kardon - Drive + Play Vehicle Interface Kit for Apple® iPod, and I tried doing the wireless installation, but I can't seem to find a good station to get it working. I am thinking I might have to buy a new head unit with AUX inputs, unless the factory radio has them ... Any ideas ?
  • dvdphiledvdphile Member Posts: 11
    Hi: Just some observations on new Elantra SE. Mfg. date 1/17/07. Came with XM. Cannot answer "aux" inputs. Radio antenna is in rear glass. If you tint rear window with metallic tint you'll lose 75% of you AM reception. Removing approx. 5" of top tint will restore reception. A black outside vinyl strip can be used to cover the missing tint. As for speedometer error, its 5% high using gps check. Odometer looks about the same. Indicated 60 mph is 57 mph actual. MPG looks like approx. 34-35 mpg in first 500 miles. Computer and actual miles/gallons calculation is very close. 80% highway 20% city. No noted problems or defects. Car is tight, runs and drives great!
    03 stock head unit has no aux inputs. You'll have to upgrade.
  • masondcmasondc Member Posts: 4
    I have a new 2007 Hyundai Elantra with XM radio. I am a loyal XM radio fan but so far have had a frustrating time with the installed XM radios because I cannot figure out how to scroll through program information in the way normal XM radios work.

So far as I can tell, you can only scroll through channels in the installed XM radio. But most XM radios have three levels of detail -- Channel, Program (i.e., what's on this hour), and Detail. For example, if you are watching an MLB baseball game you will see:

Channel: 179 -- MLB Baseball
    Program: Braves vs. Nationals
    Detail: 2-0, Top 3rd, 1 out

With a normal XM radio you can set the radio to show the "Program" level and scroll through all the baseball games. But on the Elantra you have to scroll through Channel -- which gives you no detail -- and stop at every channel, then hit the info button to see more about the program. A real pain in the butt.

Does anyone know a way to set the XM to scroll through other levels of detail? It is possible I am missing something, but I have tried everything I could think of.
  • califasramsfancalifasramsfan Member Posts: 31
    Hello masondc from California.
    We just bought the Elantra GLS, preferred package with the XM option. Wondering what the cost is for subscribing to XM radio nowadays?
    thanks,
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    xmradio.com
  • fjej1970fjej1970 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 2006 Elantra and i recently upgrade the factory stock Stereo witha JVC HD Radio and i would like to upgrade the speakers but i dont know how to remove the old ones Any help?
    To get to the door speakers, take the door panels off. There are some screws on the rear edge (with plastic covers over them), at the armrest (with plastic covers over them) and near the handle. Once that screw is out, remove the plastic "bowl" it was holding in. Then there are pop fasteners around the bottom and sides; just pop them off by pulling away from the door so the bottom of the door is free and clipped in only at the top, then lift the whole thing up so it disengages at the top by the window. You have to disconnect electrical connectors for the courtesy light at the bottom corner and the power window switches.

To reinstall it, it helps to remove the little piece of triangular trim by the rear view mirror; otherwise it's just the opposite of taking it off.

With the trim off, you should have easy access to the speakers.

To replace rear speakers, click here if you have a sedan or if you have a hatch, fold the seat back down and remove the rear speaker trim by loosening the two bolts visible from the cargo area:

And the bolt and screw in the rear seat area:

Then pull the piece up and toward the middle of the car. There will be a slot to slide the seat belt out.

Speaker size, I think, is 6-3/4" in the doors, 6-3/4" in the rears on the hatch version (6-1/2" can work for 6-3/4"), and 6" x 9" for the rears on the sedan.
  • fjej1970fjej1970 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention that mine is a 2006 Sedan not Hatchback, thx.
    Then just click the link before the first picture.
  • gblackwegblackwe Member Posts: 8
    Is Hyundai supposed to provide a cable to connect your MP3/iPOD to the radio?
  • harlqnharlqn Member Posts: 18
    I never saw anything pre-sale that indicated it was part of the deal. But about 3 weeks after buying the car, a cable with a HONKING big isolator block showed up in the mail directly from Hyundai (not the dealer).
    Maybe they have problems with the signal getting corrupted by noise.
  • harlqnharlqn Member Posts: 18
    Not sure. I already had a mini to mini audio cable, so I've been using that with not hitches. I can't hear a difference between the cables, neither.
  • squattersquatter Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2007 Elantra SE that doesn't have XM pre-installed. I will be taking it back to the dealer to have it installed (on them! I clearly stated that I wanted it and the car on the lot in the color I wanted did not have XM already, though I was told it did.) Anyway, I'm kind of afraid to have it installed aftermarket because I don't understand what happens to the mast antenna. If it has to be removed (and I would imagine it does) what happens to that spot on the body of the car? I better not be left with a gaping hole!
  • petervalentinepetervalentine Member Posts: 1
    Recently I started getting an error code - Er8 - when I try to switch to use my tape player. This wouldn't normally be an issue but I use a tape adapter to listen to my iPod. A few days ago a girl at my office backup into my car. Could that bump knock the tape deck into a security mode? Any help would be much appreciated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This is what I wrote over in Edmunds Answers in case you missed it:

This is a real long shot, but it's free. Many people have had success in getting "stuck" CD players to work by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes. The theory is that you can reboot or reset the unit this way. May be worth a try for your tape deck as well.

You'll lose your radio security code doing this (if you have one), so make sure you know what the code is. You'll also lose any adaptive settings so your Elantra may feel like it's driving a bit differently for a few miles or so until it relearns how you drive.

Steve, visiting host
  • elykatupacelykatupac Member Posts: 3
    is it possible to install a subwoofer into the stock stereo on my 2008 hyundai elantra? i also have the special equipment package so i have a better stereo in my car.... also, if i were to install a subwoofer would it void my warranty?
    Thanks Steve!
  • beaconbeacon Member Posts: 2
    We bought our Elantra GLS last June of 2007 and we like the car. But not yet a year old and the radio/cd/xm are dead. Possibly the fuse has blown. Couple of our friends told us before we looked into the Hyundai's that they have a consistent problem with fuses.
    I tried to change the fuse but found it difficult to remove the fuse w/my fat little fingers. Any suggestion on how I can do this myself???
  • fargondfargond Member Posts: 23
    I just purchased an 08 Elantra SE with factory XM.

I have programmed stations into the first 2 banks of presets (6 in XM1, 6 in XM2).

I normally leave it on bank 1 and then use the steering wheel preset Up/Down control to switch between the individual stations.

Most of the time, when I use it, it properly moves between the presets.

However, sometimes, when I hit up or down (say I'm on preset 4 and press up), it goes back to preset 1 instead of the right preset (in this example, 5).

I have narrowed it down for sure to doing this IF I have hit the button when the info screen is showing "Category" instead of the station number/song title/artist.

Is this by design? If so it doesn't make sense. Does it do this on anyone elses?

Also, there have been 2 times where I have gotten in the car and it's been back on the first channel, the demo one, that is not in any of my presets on that bank. I haven't figured out why this is occuring either. Is it a loss of signal from XM due to my garage causing it?
  • bwaller78bwaller78 Member Posts: 23
    Yes it is possible, however you will need to get a converter that allows rca connections to the stock stereo as they do not come with pre amp rca connections. I have 2 subwoofers and two amps in my 07 elantra, but have after market radio. You can get the converter at any store that sells car audio equipment. It will not void the warranty with the subwoofer, unless they can prove that the subwoofer or any other aftermaket audio installed caused the problem. For example, the electrical system malfunctioning because of improper installation or use.
  • elykatupacelykatupac Member Posts: 3
    thanks bwaller, but do you have any instructions like that to show how it can be done? i sadly don't have a backround in car stereo's =/