Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Warranty Questions

2»

Comments

• jayessjayess Member Posts: 59
    Thanks backy, I know it would only be 5/60 but that's ok as long as I get the balance of that. It's for my daughter for school and it's one of those with the TCS/ABS/sun roof packages so she'd get the extra safety features which we like. It's not a Hyundai dealer but maybe I should look into an extended warranty.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Just be careful on an extended warranty that is not from the car manufacturer... they have been known to go belly-up (cf. "Ultimate Warranty").
  • mikethetroutmikethetrout Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Elantra GT that I have loved. Driving to work the engine overheated. When I pulled over and looked under the hood I saw that the radiator had split. I had it towed to my mechanic (not a dealer) and was told the the engine was damaged. I had it towed to a Hyundai dealer to have them check it out. The car had 80K miles on it. I just got a call back today and they are saying that the thermostat was the cause; and since the thermostat is only covered up to 60K that Hyundai would not pay to repair/replace the engine. What is my recourse? What should I do next?
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    So the cooling system isn't part of the 100k "powertrain" warranty? Hmmm. I smell a rat.
    The thermostat is not a covered part under the powertrain warranty. That is clear from the warranty book that came with your car. It's also pretty typical for powertrain warranties.

However... if you have had all factory-required service performed on the car, meaning the last major service would have been at about 75k miles (and you have the records for all maintenance), and assuming a Hyundai dealer has never before told you to replace the thermostat and you declined to do so, you might try appealing to the dealer's service manager and if necessary the owner to give you a break on the repair, as a loyal Hyundai customer yada yada. You might get a more favorable response if you've had past maintenance performed at Hyundai dealers, particularly the dealer you took your car to re the radiator. You could also try taking up your case with Hyundai Customer Service. They are under no obligation under the warranty to help with the repair, but they might do it as a customer service gesture. Doesn't hurt to ask.
    I would suspect that most customers would interpret "powertrain" to mean "anything the engine, transmission, and driveline need in order to function properly." So they'd assume that the cooling system, as well as the PCM, the fuel injection system, and the essential electrical system (alternator, starter, ignition) would be included.

If they made that assumption, they'd feel misled by the company, and I wouldn't blame them. How many people read the list of covered items in the warranty before they make a purchase decision on an automobile? ';
    You and others can interpret and assume all you want. But a few minutes spent reading the car's warranty book or doing a search on the Web will point out that almost all powertrain warranties are limited to the engine block (either short block or long block) and, in most cases, the transmission or transaxle. There are a few exceptions to that, e.g. it appears VW's powertrain warranty covers more parts, but in general powertrain warranties are pretty limited on the components covered. Few if any cover parts like fuel injectors, alternators, and... thermostats. Some don't even cover gaskets--although it looks like Hyundai's does.

Hyundai was up front with the car buyer by providing details on its warranties in a book that comes with the car. They also provide details on their web site, and will answer questions about the warranty if you call Customer Service or a dealer. It isn't Hyundai's fault if someone makes an inaccurate assumption about warranty coverage, unless someone at Hyundai mis-represented the warranty, e.g. if a sales rep told a buyer, "Oh, sure, our powertrain warranty covers thermostats, fuel injectors, all that kind of stuff!", then that would be a reason to blame Hyundai. It's not Hyundai's fault if a buyer didn't bother to ask, "What parts are covered by the powertrain warranty?" or take a few minutes to read the warranty book.
    When I was in the car business, the manuals, warranty booklet, etc. were not provided until the customer took delivery of the vehicle. In other words, after the sale contract was signed.
    Now we have the "power of the Web." Also, I'll bet if a customer asked about warranty provisions before they took delivery, you'd answer the question, right?
  • senglorysenglory Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I bought Elantra '03 from private party. Today I heard about extended Hyndai's warranty for this model. Could somebody shed me the light on this situation? Am I eligible for getting this warranty from Hyndai and what should I do for this?
  • fred105fred105 Member Posts: 2
    What's the general opinion of these service contracts that are offered at the time of purchase. I have never used these in the past, but being an older couple I was wondering if it is something to consider. Might be helpful for my wife if I was not around to deal with the auto maint. issues. It was a 10 year, 100,000 mile contract which covered a lot of items the Hyundai only covers 1 - 3 years, such as the air conditioning system, engine cooling system, some electrical units such as window motors. It was a little pricy around $1,800, with a $100 deductable per visit, but with todays rates, you could use that in a hurry.
    That seems high for a service contract for a Hyundai, since you probably won't use it until at least year 6 (or after 60k miles), and beyond that you have the powertrain warranty for expensive repairs e.g. transmission. My advice is to put the $1800 away in an investment, and in five years you'll have more than $2000, which with the $100 deductible you'd pay anyway will cover many repairs in years 6-10--if you have them. Plus, how do you know you'll keep the Hyundai for 10 years?

Also, what you describes sounds more like an extended warranty than a service contract. A service contract typically pays for routine maintenance. A warranty pays the cost of (some) repairs.
  • fred105fred105 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Sounds like a wise suggestion. I thought it was a little expensie also. I was just thinking of those annoying things that tend to fail such as elect window motors, ect. Not ever owning a Hyundai I don't know anything about their reliability.I checked it is called Factory Plus Perferred Care Service Contract by CNA national warranty corp.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    CNA looks to be an independent (not Hyundai) warranty company. From the reports here they could be the poster child for why not to buy any extended warranty except one with the Manufacturer.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/Company/CNA-National-Warranty-Coprporation.as- px
    The 5yr/60K warranty on our '06 Elantra is up the first week of January - it's the car my daughter has at school two hrs away. We got it about two years ago with 26.3K miles. Even though it only has 43.5K miles now, I'm doing the timing belt at the end of December...because my daughter drives it. Now I'm pondering a Hyundai extended warranty that would give me effectively 5 more years and up to 100K miles total BTB for $1499 with a $50 deductible. I'm on the fence as to whether it's worth it. The only real scheduled maint. was the coolant at 30K which I had the dealer do plus of course oil changes with all receipts in hand.
    Has anyone purchased this from Hyundai and did you think it was worth it? other than peace of mind for about 83 cents a day.
    If you still have the powertrain warranty, I'd bank the $1500 and it will be there in case you have a major repair outside the powertrain. And if you don't, you keep the money. If you don't have the powertrain warranty, that's a tougher decision because a blown tranny by itself can be way over $1500. Low odds that will happen, but it could.

Basically think of it as buying an insurance policy for a little over $25 a month (with future value of money figured in). If you are pretty sure you will keep the car five more years (or if the warranty is transferrable--is it?), might be worth the peace of mind since it seems you value that. You can't get a cup of coffee for 83 cents these days.

P.S. It's a better deal if it is in fact a Hyundai warranty and not a 3rd party warranty--those can go belly-up on you.

P.P.S. Check to see if the deductible is per VISIT, or per ITEM. Per visit is what you want of course.
    The warranty is from Hyundai, which is the first question I asked - should have mentioned that, and the deductible is per visit. Since we're not the original owner, the powertrain is 5/60 so it evaporates in Jan as well. Decisions decisions
    Now with the warranty brochure in hand, there are five levels of coverage starting with only the powertrain. Asked to price just that she tells me 1348$ vs. 1500$ for the bTb each 10/100. Then in response to my standard question 'is that the best you can do?' - cue the adding machine sound - 'tell you what I'll give you the platinum for the 1348$'. Negotiable as I assumed. Since I have until Jan 6 and wasn't going to buy it today I didn't push for more off but my sense is that there's a bit more wiggle room. So now we'ere down to 74 cents a day, hmm.
  • rombo1952rombo1952 Member Posts: 1
    I used to work as an independent warranty inspector for many different aftermarket auto warranty companies. Some were better than others, but all had one thing in mind, find a reason to dismiss the case. They wanted a reason to deny the claim for any little reason and would make the owner prove them wrong, in which most times the owner would give up. All it takes is the threat of going to court and then they would decide to honor half or all of the claim. The manufacturer warranties are much better, as long as you hold up your end of keeping the vehicle maintained and keeping a good relationship with the dealer.
    I purchased a 2011 Elantra Limited wo/navigation package and the HPP (Platinum warranty for 10 year/100K) was around $1300. I figured that ends up being about $125 a year for peace of mind and also having a rental car available should it break down, which the factory warranty does not offer.
    It all adds up to whether it is worth your own peace of mind, besides once it's paid for you forget about it and just enjoy your car for 10 years.
  • wise8wise8 Member Posts: 19
    One of the finance managers at Capitol Hyundai, CA lied to me about Hyundai extended warranty. I told him I want only the Hyundai Protection Plan (HPP) offered by Hyundai over the phone. He told me that the (HPP) plan is offered by a third party called customedge and offered me a slightly lower price in order to lure me into his office. Fortunately I caught the discrepancy in the plan description after I came to his office. It turns out customedge is another after market plan. He finally showed me the real HPP with higher price. I ended up buying the HPP from Magnussens Fremont Hyundai.

How can he lie with a straight face? Be careful and stay away from Capitol Hyundai !
  • wise8wise8 Member Posts: 19
    I just bought 10 year 100,000 miles platinum Hyundai Protection Plan from Magnussens Fremont Hyundai, CA.

I paid 1,350 tax included.

Other 4 dealers in my area either don't offer such a plan or can't match. Even worse, Capitol Hyundai finance manager lied about HPP program and tried to sell me another aftermarket program as HPP.

You can also buy the same program on line at http://hyundaiusa-warranty.dotsterdesignstudio.com/hyundai-extended-warranty.php-

The finance manager at Fremont Hyundai, CA is straight forward and honest. He honored the quote he gave over the phone and didn't try to sell me maintenance plan as other dealers did.

Good luck and stay away from the bad/ dishonest people.
  • hyundaiowner3hyundaiowner3 Member Posts: 1
    Eighteen months ago, we purchased a Hyundai Elantra from Ourisman Hyundai in Laurel, MD. We purchased the car because the dealer advertised a "bumper to bumper" warranty for five years or 60,000 miles. The clutch failed after 34,000 miles, and Hyundai refused to honor the warranty. They claimed "normal wear and tear" was not covered under the warranty. We believe that advertising the warranty as bumper to bumper is deliberately misleading in these circumstances. Hyundai National Consumer Assistance Center has refused our request to provide a written explanation to justify the refusal of coverage under the warranty, and evidence to support their claim of "normal wear and tear." We are being charged $1,700 for a new clutch.

Moral of the story: be very skeptical of "bumper to bumper" claims by Hyundai salesmen.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    No manufacturer covers wear items, which includes a clutch, in their warranties. Some do a minimal 12 month thing (Hyundai does or at least did on light bulbs, for instance). Tires aren't covered. Brakes pads aren't (though non-wear items like the master cylinder are covered). And so on.

The price for the repair seems high, though I readily admit to being out of touch with manual trans costs. The last time I replaced a clutch was around 1990. Be sure to call around for prices or ask the dealer, especially if this is the dealer you bought from, to cover part of the cost since the car is still relatively new. It costs you nothing to ask and you never know; they might make a good will gesture if you're a good customer.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    When in doubt about what is and is not covered, the best thing to do is sit down and read the owners manual. Things included in normal wear an tear items include, tires, timing belts, brake pads an shoes, spark plugs, drive belts, clutches, filters, fluids, body or glass damage( which I have seen customers try to get coverd). If you check with other manufactures, you'll find out that their's is the same. I've seen people wear out a clutch in less then 2000 miles, because they don't know how to drive a standard transmission car. They should teach people how to drive one in driving school. In fact, I've seen techs who can't drive a standard transmission car. lol
  • charle4025charle4025 Member Posts: 1
    My car is overheating, and it is either the water pump or thermostat. Are either covered by the original standard warranty? ( not extended warranty). Thanks
  • sls55sls55 Member Posts: 1
    We experienced the same thing. Only difference is we only had the car for three weeks. Hadn't even made a payment on it. The clutch went out, but I stood my ground and after a lot of grief and stubbornness on my part. Convinced the dealership that it was in their best interest to repair the car at no cost to me. They told me the same that the problem was "wear and tear" which was not covered under the warranty. After three weeks????? Yeah Right!!
    Now, five months later, it appears my transmission is going out. Right now, I don't know if the cause is from an accident that happened a few days ago, or if it is a separate problem. Will find out soon I hope.
    I am pretty sure the water pump and thermostat are not considered "power train" components under the 10-year power train warranty, but if you want to be sure you could call Hyundai Customer Service and ask them. Or look it up in your car's Warranty booklet, if you still have it.
  • elantra_2012elantra_2012 Member Posts: 2
    I had a front control arm recall for my wife's 2001 Elantra in 2009. The front control arms were rusting out too fast so Hyundai recalled them. But I don't see any mention about the subframe in the website warranty page. I have to assume that the frame/subframe must meet some kind of industry standard since it isn't mentioned directly in the warranty. For example, airbags and seatbelts are suppose to last a minimum of ten years but again no mention of this in the warranty online.
  • whatfuturewhatfuture Member Posts: 46

I'm looking at trading in my Elantra Ltd. with very few miles on it. I asked the non-Hyundai dealership about the transferability of the warranties. I'm not going back to Hyundai. The 100k powertrain warranty isn't transferable. After my owning many cars in my lifetime (if a car can't make it to 100k without something major going wrong (powertrain related such as the transmission), the car has issues and it's a bad sign. While the warranty has been around for years the better option would be to make a car right the first time so the warranty isn't needed. But that takes money.

backy: the water pump and thermostat aren't moving items that make the car go. Breakage may make the engine blow :) . That should be covered under the bumper-to-bumper shorter warranty. I bought a used car still under basic warranty (1997). We were about 1k miles from home when the alternator stopped working. We rolled into a dealership by luck and it was a covered fix.

Tires are different, too. Issues with them have to handle it with the tire manufacturer. If there's a similar problem with new tires (replacement of the bad tires that come with the car - again with safely rated tires that end up with the same wear pattern becomes an issue) that should be pursued with Hyundai and will likely be ignored by a dealership. Tires blowing aren't covered and is status quo for just about any car. While I don't like Hyundai or trust them (too many bad consumer reviews - those that are repeated throughout forums are an issue if you can figure out they were written by different people) we can't blame everything on them.

I had a 2004 other brand name car with 115k miles on it after ten years. I fixed normal wear and tear items. In that time, I had one $1800 repair. Nothing unusual happened before the gaskets leaked. I don't know if one gasket leaked or two. One mechanic who charged for th diagnostic with good technicians said one. My own mechanic said two.

• sanshain180sanshain180 Member Posts: 2
    Question... I have read somewhere, and heard from several people, that if they can't fix a warranty issue (mine is dealing with my brakes, so I am HIGHLY concerned that they want to just give it back to me after not being able to replicate the problem), they have to swap the car for me. Where can I find the equivalent of this in writing? Is it in the warranty documentation, or where? I'd hate to have to get a lawyer involved, but if that is what it takes to protect my life and the life of those driving around me one day, that's what I'll do. You know? We're talking about starting a family this year, and I refuse to drive babies around in this car!! It is NOT safe. It's already resulted in a broken hubcap from sending me into a curb during a right turn. So, help? Please. Anyone?
  • angieangie Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with 31,150 miles, the dealership charged me for the manufacturers warranty an additional $3,500.00 plus and anti thelf device. He said I have the full balance of the manufacturers warranty & good for another 7 years approximately. Can a dealership charge the 2nd owner for the manufacturers warranty?