Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra: Hatchback or Wagon??

backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
There's rumors of a new Elantra hatchback or even wagon coming soon. What do you think? Which would you prefer? What's the latest scoop?

Comments

• guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Been off the forum for a while. Any hatch news for 07? Is there even a redesigned one overseas? If not, is the Spectra 5 the closest thing to one? Possibly in 08?
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    This is a likely candidate:

Concept:

Production spy shots:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2006/09/scooped-2007-hyundai-fd-arnejs.html
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Let's see, Hyundai doesn't put A/C into the base Elantra (in the U.S.). How much you want to bet that the glass roof makes it into production? Also I wouldn't want to pay for the damage for either a front or rear low-speed collision.

I wonder how long it will take some folks to say, "It looks just like [fill in favorite Japanese car]!" ;)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    it looks just like the Toyota Yaris hatchback.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    A hatchback?I was under the impression that the hatchback was discontinued. :confuse:
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Just for 07. Just as the 01 was introduced without a hatch counterpart.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Actually 2002 was the first year they had an Elantra hatchback.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

That's what doohickie posted. 2001 the Elantra was introduced, and the hatch followed one model year later. I'd think the next gen hatch would follow similar timeline.
    That's what doohickie posted. 2001 the Elantra was introduced,

The Elantra was introduced in, I think, 1993.

I think it was 1992 MY, but I expect what was meant is that the current-gen Elantra (the one w/the hatch) was introduced in 2001 MY.
    Ok but why the delay? The second gen Elantras had station wagons from the first year.

Maybe because Hyundai has been pretty busy lately--seven new or redesigned models (eight counting the Accent hatch) in two years. Plus gearing up for the Veracruz and new Tiburon (or whatever it will be called) sometime next year.
    The replacement of the Elantra hatch will not be a derivative of the new Elantra but more so a new model. Hinted by the concept showing of the FD (Arnejs) at Paris.
    And facelifted Tiburon + RWD "BH" luxury sedan and RWD Tiburon replacement (as you pointed out) + crossover, among others...
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    The hatch made its debut here as a 2001 model. I know because I still have one and everything from the sticker to the registration identifies the car as a 2001 model.
    Yes, I think they unofficially called it a 2001.5 model, and it arrived in late spring if I remember correctly. Kind of like what Kia does lately with new models that come out early in the year.
This discussion has been closed.