Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying used cars from out of state

Comments

• jasoneustacejasoneustace Member Posts: 2
    I have found a buyer for my car however he lives in Ohio and I live in Washington DC. He wants to fly out to drive the car back to Ohio but I wanted to figure out what he and I need to do ahead of that so the sale can proceed smoothly. I cannot locate any info. / forms about what he needs to do to drive the car back to Ohio. Please help
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I live in NC and bought a new acura from a dealer in PA.The dealer in Pa gave me a 30-day Intransit Temporary license plate. The car was covered by my NC auto insurance. When I registered the car in NC I then paid the tax on it.I drove the car home (700 miles)I bought it from this dealer because of the great price and I am in the area quite often.I also bought 7 other cars from them over the years.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    In addition to, obviously, the title, he'll need a temporary plate. Call whatever office issues license plates for details.

Don't forget to ask them whether your buyer needs to present proof of insurance when he applies for the plate. This is VERY important because here in Ohio we don't need to present such proof and your buyer might not think about it.
  • jasoneustacejasoneustace Member Posts: 2
    thank you
  • masterncmasternc Member Posts: 14
    I live in PA and am looking at a certified used car in NJ. I would need financing for the car and would therefore have a lien on the car. I would be getting a temp tag from NJ that is valid for 20 days. My problem is because there is a lien I technically don't have possession of the car. When I apply for PA registration, it says I can't even get plates unless I have the title on me or the bank sends the title to PennDOT (if the bank sends it to PennDOT, the plates are issued from PennDOT, which may take weeks). Given all the red tape, I am afraid I might have a car with expired plates sitting for a while since this surely would take longer than 20 days.

Anyone have experience with this type of purchase? I am curious to hear how you did it. Do dealers hand you the transferred title with a lien note on it for when you register the car yourself?
    i live in nc and bought a car in pa. I received a certificate of origin(not the title) which had the loan information on the back. the pa dealer put a 30-day intransit temporary paper plate on my car. when I registered the car in Nc I turned that certificate, plus a odometer statement, sales invoice from the dealer, showed them my insurance card, paid all the fees sales tax (highway use tax) of 3% plus the reg. fees. if the nj dealer is close to pa they might take care of getting the car registered.
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    The way we handle them is I would call your County/Parish/who ever handles it in your government and the tax rate and cost for tags and fees. I would also get there address. I would then sell you the car and charge you all the appropriate taxes and fees for your state.

Then I would mail all the paper work the office where you live with contact info for you so they could contact you when the tags come in.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    When buying a car from out of state just look in the back seat. If you find catfish, it was in a flood down south. If you find lobster, it was in a flood in Maine.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

that is very nice of you but not all dealers do that. I did not have any trouble with getting my out of state purchased car registered. It took less than 10 minutes and the place is near where I live. I transferred my plates. I did not have to wait to see when they get all the paperwork..
    Another case of state to state thing. I wish we could just hand the customer the paper work and tell them to register it when they get home but here I am required to "Record the Lien" if there is financing involved. The way you record the lien is to pay the taxes and apply for title with ABC Bank shown as lien holder. If the lien is not recorded within 30 days the bank can call our loan if they wish.
    I purchased my car on 11.17.06 but waited until 1.17.07 to register it. the car becomes another year older saving me some money on the personal property tax. I guess honda finance did not call my loan so i must be lucky. you are with ford aren't you. I see a lot of freestyles in my travels-must be a good seller.
  • mintjulepmintjulep Member Posts: 28
    Could someone define LIEN for me, as related to car stuff?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    A lien means that someone else can take possession of your car unless you discharge some obligation. For example, if you borrowed money to pay for the car then the lender files a lien on your vehicle which can only be released when you pay in full.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • anyabxanyabx Member Posts: 6
    I reside in Somerset County, NJ and I am looking to buy a used Nissan Sentra in Pennsylvania. More specifically, I looked at Singh Auto World in Allentown, PA, where they seemed to have fairly low prices (compared to similar models in NJ/NY).

Does anyone have experiences with this particular dealer? Any advice/suggestions on buying a used Nissan over in PA? Thank you!
  • grizfangrizfan Member Posts: 7
    Even though this is a question on a new car purchase, it was suggested I post here.

I just purchased a new car in the next state (better deal/selection) and drove it home. I paid in full with a cashier's check, but I want to make sure I have all my paperwork lined up so I don't run into any hassles trying to register it. How long does it take for the title to arrive?

In order to register the new car in my state, I need 3 things:
    The vehicle with me at the DMV
    Signed bill of sale (I have that)
    Title or certificate of origin

It is the last item that confuses me. I looked through the paperwork I received from the out-of-state dealer, and as far as I could tell, it didn't include a certificate of origin. But, the dealer did say they were sending some docs over to my local DMV.

To further complicate things, the dealer was robbed the next day, and the robbers took the dealer's safe with, you guessed it, the cashier's check I used to pay for the vehicle. Now, the check was made to the dealer, the dealer took possession of the check, provided me with a signed receipt for the check, in addition to the other paperwork I received. So far, I trust the dealership, and have found them to be honest and straight-forward. But, I'm still a bit nervous about this situation. The dealership would like me to cancel the cashier's check, and I'm working with my bank to see what we can do, but I'd feel a lot better with title in hand

So, if anyone has any insight, I'd greatly appreciate it!
    i will share what i know. I bought my car in PA and live in NC. the pa dealer, sent me the certificate of origin. when I registered the car in NC i turned in that certificate, along with the bill of sale and showed them my insurance card. a few weeks later I received the title from NC.
    Griz, it sounds like you may have to be patient with the robbery and all.

In the past if someone brought me a cashiers check we would close the MSO and give it to them at point of sale. In todays crooked world you can't even be sure cashiers checks are legit, so now we hold the MSO for 10 business days after the cashiers check post to our account.

The only way you leave here now with a title/MSO is if you pay with in by god we trust $100 bills.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Not knowing what state you are in, but everything seems on the up and up. I would definitely cancel the check and have another re-issued. It protects you and your interest in the long run. And as joel and nj2 suggested, you'll have to be patient. As long as you have the signed paperwork and the dealership gets the re-issued check, you should not have a problem.
    My take is that it is the dealer's responsibility to ensure that the owner receives a title to the vehicle. It sounds like that's what will happen here - they will send the certificate of origin to whatever office in your state issues titles (after they've been paid).

Even if there had been no robbery, this can take some time.
  • grizfangrizfan Member Posts: 7
    Thanks everyone for the answers. It sounds like everything is moving forward. In fact, I had contacted my bank to see what they could do to help out, but they couldn't easily cancel the check since it had already been given to the dealer, making it the dealer's responsibility, not mine. My local branch is willing to help out, but they need sign-off from corporate, and corporate needs evidence of a crime, such as a police report. Its been over a day now, and I haven't heard, so I think the dealership is no longer looking to us to cancel the check, due to the nature of how cashier's checks work.
  • anandhydanandhyd Member Posts: 1
    I am resident of Georgia and I want to buy a car in Delaware or Pensylvania and register the car also in DE or PA. Can I do that. How?

Thanks for your help.

Andy
    :confuse:
    Only if you have a physical address in that state. If you have a GA Drivers license and you register the car in another state you will get a ticket if the police pull you over.

In most states once you declare residency (get a drivers license) you have 90 days to tag your car in that state.

Why would you not register it in GA? They have killer low sales tax.
    in order to register a car in some states you have to show your driver's license from that state. It happened to me in NC and also to my daughter when she moved from Pa to NJ. she could not get her car registered until she got a jersey license.
  • 1kreationz1kreationz Member Posts: 3
    hello, im having alot of frustration with all of this registering car from out of state. I traded my car with a private owner from georgia for his car with a GA title signed over to me, and i signed my title over to him, im just wondering do i need to notorize the title under his name and my name for both titles, in order to register my car in NC with my tags. this would be a great help guys thanks....clueless right now :sick:
    the car was in both my name and my husband's,therefore we had both our signatures notorized. Took the title to our bank was done free. Where are you going to title this car. NC will require the original owner whose name is on the title to have their name notorized. You are having your signatures notorized so it does not matter which state it is done in.
    when we sold our car in NC we had to have our signature notorized on the title in order for the new owner to be able to get it titled and registered in their name. The title we had was a PA one. Hope that helps. If you need more info go the the license plate agency. The one I went to in Hampstead was very helpful.
    nj2pa2nc, when you said our signature, meaning both seller and buyer signature on title when notorized. because im not buying a car, i'm going to trade my car for his car, i was just thinking that we just had to sign over title to title..correct, or do i need to be in georgia to notorize his title and him to be in nc to notorize my title..if its that hard then *Ohhh Looord, Give Me A Miracle... :sick:
    okay, so really me and the guy that did the trade, like for example doesnt matter if its georgia or nc, as long as we get the title notorize either in GA or NC, i could still register the car correct..!
    correct the owner of the vehicle and has their name on the title gets their signature notorized. You then get insurance on the vehicle and off to license plate agency you go. You have to show them you driver's license. Oh yes do not forget the title.
  • jsprout73jsprout73 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone advise me what to expect if I decide to buy a used vehicle in Texas, but I live in Louisiana? I can get better deals/selection in TX, but I want the vehicle to be registered in Louisiana. I'm curious to know what I should expect on sales tax, and any different laws I may not be aware about a transaction such as this. I guess it helps to mention I plan to trade-in and finance the remainder.
  • lotusgirllotusgirl Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone, I'm trying to buy a car in California (I live in Pennsylvania)
    I want to have the car shipped because I can't take the time off of work to drive it back. My credit union is concerned about me getting the title because it is from a private seller with a lein on the car.

Are there any legal documents that I can have him sign so I am legally guaranteed the title after I pay him?

thanks in advance :)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    It should all be spelled out in the Bill of Sales that you both sign. Of course, I'm wondering what is so special about this car that you are shipping it from 2500 miles away?
    Sure, your credit union simply needs to work this out with his lender.
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    Except that with E-bay, once you agree to a deal, it's like signing on the dotted line. I have never had a problem with E-bay and I have done several transactions, but never one as big as a vehicle. I also have never had to back out of a sale except once and that was a pretty amicable process so I haven't had any "bad exeriences" with me not willing to pay, or some one not willing to pay me.

If I remember the rules and regulations you agree to when you sign up with E-bay, an accepted bid is a promise to pay. However, I am not sure how "binding" it is. I don't know that you can be pursued in court for not honoring a winning bid, especially in a situation like this, where two parties have interpreted an "OTD" offer differently.

So, in short was the bid accepted? Yes, it sounds like it was. The buyer is obligated to pay the seller the 15K. He agreed to it and it is supposeidly (sp?) a legal binding agreement (Read the fine print in E-bay's rules and regulations to be sure). The hard part comes trying to come to an understanding of the OTD price. The seller apparently thought that OTD didn't inlcude tax, title licensem, which in AZ could be pretty exorbiant, depending on the original MSRP and the value of the car now. Title and registration is based off of that, taxes are based just off the sales price. If you do not live in AZ than you do not have to pay AZ sales tax, but you may have to pay sales tax when you register the car in your home state. If the car is being shipped directly to Missouri, than there is no need for a temp tag either. Just a signature on the title (preferably notorized, just in case. Probably not required, but I would do it just in case).

What is comes down to is being able to arbitrate between the two parties on what was understood when the "OTD" offer was given. E-bay can help with this, but I would try to work with the seller first and hope that he would be understanding.
    sativo - you should be able to provide a link by going to the page from your My Ebay page. Not knowing how much you know about E-bay forgive me if I say something that you already know.

From your My E-bay page, on your items won, or items list, or items awaiting payment list should be a link to the list of the vehicle. Clicking on it will take you to the original ad, although you will see that the auction is now closed. By copying and pasting the link if you so wish, those who want access to the ad, can veiw it.

Anyone can view these pages, but since the auction is closed they cannot be modified. Also you will not be releasing your E-bay ID or password, just the link to the ad.
    oops.. I misread. It's Missouri to AZ, so reverse the thinking on the tax and title issue. Check with the DMV. I don't remember paying sales tax on the vehicles I registered in AZ when we moved. But then again we already owned them and we were just transferring registrations from OR to AZ. You may not have to pay sales tax at all? You will have to pay registration though. That could be a bunch depending on what kind of car it is.

Althoug no matter what it still comes down to arbitrating between you and the seller and hopefully coming to an agreement. Good Luck :D
    okay - one more comment and then I'll shut up :D....

I just did a quick search and while I couldn't find a "legal" meaning of "OTD", every place I found the term "Out the Door" used, it was used in the context to mean everything, including tax title license. Basically Out the Door means, that's all I pay. I didn't find anywhere to say "OTD", plus tax title license.
    The dealership you are buying the car from should handle all the registration paperwork???
  • mannyljrmannyljr Member Posts: 20
    I'm currently shopping new and used cars. I've narrowed what I want to a Porsche Boxster S or a Corvette. I've been using e-bay and other national listing sites. After a couple of weeks of shopping, I've come to realize that California emission standards are tougher than any other state. Any new car (less than 7500 miles, regardless if previously titled) must meet these stringent standards before it can be registered. My question is, has any other Californian who reads this post gone through an out of state purchase? If a car is new, can my home town dealer install the California required equipment?
  • mannyljrmannyljr Member Posts: 20
    I've been shopping for a late model Boxster and after some phone calls and e-mails to dealers and Porsche mechanics in California and beyond, it's been guaranteed that every US spec Porsche is emission legal in every state. So for me in California, it keeps the market area large.
  • ppidori2ppidori2 Member Posts: 6
    Hello Everyone
    I am shopping for a used car (nissan 350z) and i have come across this one used 350z from a private seller in a different state. I live in California but the car is in Ohio. I have contacted the seller and the seller has explained that the car will be shipped to me through das auto shippers. This is my first attempt at trying to buy a used car and was wondering what i needed to do to make this transaction complete without any hassels and avoiding any kind of scams.

1. What documents i need to receive?
    2. how do i pay?
    3. Are out of states purchases reliable/safe?

Thank you!
    This can be tricky. It's not so much that it's an out of state transaction as it's a blind deal that hinges on trust, particularly yours. The seller will assign the Ohio title to you but s/he's only going to do so after your bank check clears.

As the buyer, you should be the one selecting the shipping company unless that's part of the deal.

Frankly, if I was you, I'd spend the money to fly in to look at the vehicle and close the deal in person (bringing cash or a check drawn on the seller's bank).
  • ppidori2ppidori2 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the advise. After thinking about it i have decided to wait to see if i can find a used car closer to me or just from a dealer. Thanks once again for your input.
  • leonfamleonfam Member Posts: 21
    We are looking at a pre-owned Acura. Many available in Northern CA seem to be from outside the state. NC, SC, NY... And these seem to be slightly cheaper than "local" vehicles. What is that about? Salt? Corrosion? Am I being paranoid..?
  • jg35jg35 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Tennesse teaching for a semester and I want to buy a used car here. My residency is Brooklyn, NY but I have not owned a car since living in NY-- for 10 years -- to make matters more confusing my license is from TX! Does anyone know if I can register the car in NY and get new plates without actually taking the car there for another few months? - i'm not going to be in NY for another 4 months, I'm actually going to be traveling around the south.
    Thanks!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I'm not completely familiar with NY law, so much of what I'll say is based on NJ. But for registering a car, you don't need to have the car present. However, you do have to do it in person. I'm not sure if you could get away with someone else doing it for you as long as you fill out all the paperwork. The big problem is inspection. You wouldn't be able to do it. So you'd be driving an uninspected car, risking tickets.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

If it's anything like Ohio, they'll want to physically inspect the out of state title and car before issuing a NY title. Best to call Albany and check for sure.
    I work at a dealership in Tn and just a couple months ago I went through nightmare of registering a car in NY for a customer.

No you cannot do it without a NY DL

You also have to have a NY State insurance card, and a boat load of other crap. It took me 2 months to get the damn thing registered there.

I would highly recomend that you title the car in TN. Taxes are less and it is easy as can be.

ny dmv
  • siclonesiclone Member Posts: 2
    I live in Iowa and am thinking of buying a Tahoe from Cal. What affect if any would the Cal. emission standards have on the fuel economy of this car or any other for that matter? Is there quite a bit more clutter under the hood?
  • melb_1021melb_1021 Member Posts: 1
    I am buying a car in Michigan and I live in Utah. The dealership told me they had to pay part of the tax and will send it to Utah for me, but they can't pay the whole amount. I suggested that I would just pay all the taxes when I get back to Utah, but the dealer said I had to pay some through them. Is that correct?
This discussion has been closed.