Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester Brake Questions

13»

Comments

• ziggy15ziggy15 Member Posts: 2
    The problem of screeching brakes occured almost right away with the cars, maybe after 10,000 miles. I took it to the brake chain place, and they replaced the pads, cleaned and lubricated the other components.They also took care of the glaze. However, the screeching continued. they told me there was a manufacturing defect and that replacing the pads won't take care of the problem.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    There has been no reported "defects" in the brakes. I'd find a different brake place and get Pads, Rotors and a Flush of the brakes before doing anything.

-mike
  • sethjwsethjw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05' forester XT. 26K miles. Recent brake inpection revealed brakes at 15 to 20 percent left.
    I have some experience with brakes but all on older vehicles.
    Will I need any special drives or tools to change the pads on this car?
    14mm wrench and a C-Clamp and about 1-2hrs of free time and you can swap the pads easily.

-mike
  • 2subarufam2subarufam Member Posts: 2
    My inspection was just about overdue so I took my 2006 Forester to Monro. They called me at work at said I needed new rear breaks (about 43,000 miles). I felt a little in a bind because I wanted to use subaru parts, but the guy convinced me the replacement parts they had were compatible. The cost was ~$190 for rear brakes.I know the manual specifies subaru breaks. Should I be concerned that I did not get subaru breaks?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Just use a brand you trust. The Magnussen-Moss Warranty act says that as long as the parts meet the OE specifications there is no effect on the warranty for the caliper and braking system.
    Never use Subaru parts for brake replacements. There are lots of better or cheaper parts out there.

I'm sure the ones that monroe used will be acceptable, especially for the rears.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • phil2000phil2000 Member Posts: 195
    I buy my pads from Pep Boys and they last me a couple of years and 30K + miles.
  • elkmik1elkmik1 Member Posts: 2
    I just put new brake pads on the rear of my 07 Forester. I did not do anything to the rotors. When the brakes have warmed up they make a low squealing noise when the brakes are initially applied or when "feathered" Is this part of the normal break in? If not does anybody have an idea of what I may have done wrong?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    did you add an anti-squeal compound to the backs of the pads where they contact the pistons? If not, that may be what's causing your noise.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • elkmik1elkmik1 Member Posts: 2
    No I did not. i will go get some. Thanks for your help