Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Subaru Forester Owners - Give Us Your Report!

Comments

• p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Well there you go. Just one more reason to trade in for a newer model!

Oops... don't tell Sandy I said that ;)

-Frank
  • hilihili Member Posts: 7
    I recently had to have all four wheels aligned - supposedly tires were badly worn. Only 14000 miles! Dealer was good about it - also replaced 2 front tires, free. Is this standard?
    What causes alignment problems? Is this a standard problem with Foresters?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    it hasn't been a common complaint. I have 62k on my original tires, and they are very even all the way around.

Alignment issues usually originate from bad road conditions (such as significant pot holes, etc.), accidents, and abusive driving such as off-roading at high speeds.

John
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    I was told that everything was there in the 03's forward (base X models) and all you had to do was buy the air filter and put it in. They didn't from the factory just so they could point toward one more thing the "better" models had that the base X didn't. The dealers could "install" it and charge you two maybe three prices or install it as a selling point or just so they could show you how nice they were so you'd come back...

They got over it by 06.
  • hilihili Member Posts: 7
    I used to have Audis, and never had to have the wheels aligned. Is it something with Subaru that the out-of-the-factory alignment doesn't hold? I don't go off road, and haven't hit any significant potholes.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    again, I don't believe so as we do not commonly hear this as a problem.

Alignments can get tweaked easily without really knowing it happens. One of the most common is hitting a parking lot stop a bit too hard. It can throw that wheel off its track.

Regards,

John
  • jefbakjefbak Member Posts: 19
    I decided to lease a Forester X with premium package on Jan 2nd. I find the car to be quite sporty despite not having the turbo (I couldn't find an xt in MA at the time).
    I will say that the ride is not very refined and very truck like on city streets. On the hightway the ride is fine.
    The heated seats are great (it 12 degrees here right now).
    I really wanted the full time awd system so that put most of the contenders out of the race.
    I am hoping when my lease is up (in 24 months) that:

A hybrid version is available.
    A 5 or 6 speed automatic is available.
    A better supension is available.
    Stability control on all models.
    memory seats and mirrors would be a great option for me (I'm 6'4 my wife is 5' 5)
    How about a tent option for camping with the hatchback up?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Brr. You must be enjoying those seats. Heated mirrors and wiper de-icers are nice, too. The heated mirrors clear them even in the rain.

-juice
  • jefbakjefbak Member Posts: 19
    I did not know what all the de-ice features were. Thanks.
    I just move to western mass from CA so the heat seats have been a life saver.
    I was suprised that they were offered on fabric seats, I had not seen that before.
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Okay, only about 5 hours of ownership. 05 Forester X. Not many options. I sure like the auto dimming mirror though. Hidden hitch will be nice for hauling yard stuff. Stock stereo better than my Protege. Need to pick up an arm rest extension, cargo mat, maybe the tweeter kit and rubber floor mats. Any good online sources?

Looking forward to many years of happy ownership.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Congrats on your new ride! Be sure to put some pics of it on your CarSpace to show it off! :P
    Heated cloth is the best combination.

-juice
  • benmbenm Member Posts: 8
    I picked up my first ever Subaru in urban gray Tuesday night. It came equipped with the following options: an auto dimming mirror w/compass (a little disappointed it didn't include the homelink upgrade), STI metal pedal kit, rear bumper cover, cargo tray, splash guards and wheel locks. Before buying I also test drove an LL Bean Edition for comparison. The turbo gives instant power at the slightest tap and provides very strong low-end torque. The extra cost and required premium fuel on the XT are well worth it, in my opinion. Exemplary fit and finish. The black leather seats could have been softer especially in the rear. A practical car to enjoy with abundant power to add to your driving pleasure. Its not bad looking either.
  • dfpinedfpine Member Posts: 9
    Just picked up our Forester 2.5 X last week. Less than 100 miles on it. This morning we couldn't open the car doors with either remote key fob that came with the car. No response whatsoever from the car with the lock or unlock button. Tried to open the car manually with the key and it didn't work either.

It was extremely cold this morning in NYC (7 F temp and -10 F windchill), but I didn't think it would cause a problem. People here on the forum live in much colder places... My other car worked just fine.

Does anyone have similar experience? Could it be a dead battery? I'm pretty sure I turned off all the lights when I left the car yesterday afternoon... Doesn't the car have automatic shut-off on daytime running lights too?

I'll probably call roadside assistance either tonight or tomorrow to jump-start the car and/or tow the car to a dealership for repair.
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    So ultimately you were able to get into the car, and it didn't start?

If you did eventually get in and try to start, did it turn over at all? If not, sounds like a dead battery. If so, I'd make sure you're letting the fuel pump kick in (turn ignition to penultimate position and wait to hear a little "whirring" sound). Also read your owner's manual -- there are detailed instructions on how to start and whether or not to pump accelerator, etc.

All of the lights have auto-shut-off, yes, with one exception -- the parking lights, which are controlled by a little rocker switch right on top of the steering column. Always make sure to check it if you go to a car wash and have the interior done, it's real easy to unwittingly turn it on if you're cleaning the steering wheel/instrument panel with a big towel.

Good luck.
    Sweet, congrats. Join us in the Subaru Crew threads under owners clubs. :shades:

-juice
  • bzribeebzribee Member Posts: 27
    I'm forgetting the name of the company--will look-maybe Campmor--but there is a camping company that makes tent extenders for all different vehicles. It may be the same company that manufactures then for the Element--gotta look, but they are out there.
    I bought a little teardrop camping trailer last night. Weights about 650 lbs. No problems towing with the Forester. Biggest challenge is backing up!
    I know what you mean, everything kinds works double-backwards. :D

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Also the smaller the trailer the harder it is to backup. I used to have a tiny little utility trailer and jacknifed it often, same with jetski-trailers. With the 22' car trailer, rarely a problem, with the 26' boat trailer even less, and with the 43' tri-axle boat trailer even less than the other 2.

-mike
    At least with the small trailer, if you really screw up you can unhook it and do by hand. Also don't have to worry about backing it down a boat ramp with other boaters waiting.
    Tis true. On a side note if you live anywhere near a boat ramp and are bored on a Saturday morning. There is always ample entertainment watching folks launching their boats.

- Oh no, I forgot the plug, wife pulls boat up the ramp, but it was unhooked and blamo the boat ends up on the concrete

- boater launches boat and it blows away in the wind

- backing up for noobs

Tons of other entertaining things going on!

-mike
    I've watched the boat ramp entertainment when launching my kayak. Always interesting.
    I love FWD wheelspin. This one guy I knew hauled 2 jet skis with a Prelude. It was comical. :D

-juice
    Forgot to mention... teardorp sellers partner works for SOA and knew Patti. Said she was one or her favorites from Subaru corporate. I said her presence at Edmunds was missed. She gave me some cool Subie stuff.
  • dfpinedfpine Member Posts: 9
    You are absolutely right. I shut off that rocker switch the wrong way ;) I did remember the guy at dealership who said that this is the most useless feature of the car he's ever seen. Anyway I actually had to call roadside assistance twice. It seems that we didn't keep the engine running long enough the first time around to charge up the battery. The next morning the car wouldn't start again because the battery was very weak. Hopefully this episode won't damage the battery. After driving for about 20 miles today, I checked the battery and it did have 12.5V on it so it should be ok.
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    Well, I learned about the tendency of drivers to accidentally trigger that switch and run down their battery right here on Edmunds, so thanks to everyone.

I think that Subaru should probably send out a TSB reminding dealers to point out and explain the switch when doing a delivery tour. It's not just the placement of the switch -- how many other makes even have a dedicated parking light switch these days?

I guess the Subaru considers it a safety feature -- for those rare instances where you want to leave on parking lights and take the keys with you?

Anyway, I hope your battery's almost as good as new and that this is the last problem you have with your Forester.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Take the caps off the battery and check the water level.

I was surprised when I decided to check mine right before the cold snap, only to find the water level way down in every cell. I just had the car in for service, surprised the dealer didn't check the levels.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I just bought an '07. I like the car (although the steering is way too light), but I am very disappointed with the tires. We got hit with a snow storm and then freezing temps right after I bought it.

The car slid all over the place in turns. I understand AWD canna change the laws of physics. But my '86 BMW 535 and the '96 Taurus SHO the Forester replaced both handled the snow and slippery conditions far better.

I have to assume the issue is tires. Both the BMW and Taurus rode on Goodrich Traction T/A's and worked great through several major snow storms here in Chicago. It is very annoying that my new AWD car can't outperform a 20 year old rear wheel drive car famous for poor performance in the rain and snow or a 10 year old car that put 40% more horsepower to the front wheels only. I shouldn't have to spend $500 for new tires a week after I spend $26 grand for a new car.

Fortunately winter is almost over so I will tough it out and probably replace the tires next winter before the snow hits.
    Regarding the arm rest extension. On my '07 the arm rest is adjustable. push in the black button on the front and it slides forward.
    Keep those tires for summer, and just get winter tires mounted on steelies. A package like that from Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct probably will cost less than $600, and it extends the life of your OE tires significantly (25% if you use the snows for 3 months).

I have snows on my Forester and they've been fantastic in the freezing rain conditions we've had lately.

I think that's probably safer and more cost effective than just tossing out the brand new tires for a new set of all seasons, which are still a compromise.

-juice
    I could do that; but my point is I shouldn't have to. I didn't buy an Audi or even a Forester XT. I bought a standard Forester and it should come with good quality all season tires. Isn't that it's primary market and appeal? AWD stabiity in the rain and snow, not improved canyon carving performance.
    OE tires are always a compromise. FWIW, most people here find they're OK all-around tires, and we don't see that many complaints about them. A few owners even replaced them with the same tire the 2nd time around.

I'd recommend the ones I have, Falken Ziex 512s, but even those aren't good in snow. They're great in the dry, and even when it's wet, but not in the snow.

I'm sure the tires you liked had some trade-offs as well, perhaps extra noise, rolling resistance, or durability.

-juice
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    I'm thinking of buying a leftover 06 Forester from a local dealer in northern Va. I've never owned a Subie before and have been reading these posts for a couple of weeks. I got the info below off the local dealers website and this looks like a fair deal to me. What do you experts think?
    Thanks.

Leftover New 2006 Subaru Base Forester auto, blue
    X Wagon, Auto. Trans. Regal Blue Pearl, Gray Cloth.
    Options: tweeter kit, floor mats, cargo net rear vertical, rear bumper cover, cargo tray, auto dimming mirror/compass
    MSRP $23,740, Invoice $22,169, Internet price $18,564.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Good price *IF* that includes freight.

If they charge extra for freight, the fitzmall.com price is better. It's in Rockville, MD next to White Flint, not far from NoVA.

If you go there look for Maurice, tell him "juice" from Edmunds sent ya. My family has bought about 5 Subarus there.

-juice
    I don't find my OEM tires bad in snow. Juice is right, if you really want good snow performance get some snow tires. AWD doesn't overcome the limitations of all season tires.
    Thanks Juice. The price does not include freight, so I'd add another $625 on top of that. I may go to Rockville on Sat. My son plays soccer at the Sportsplex in Frederick. Hopefully, I can swing by before or afterward.

And yes, dedicated snows make a huge difference. I have dedicated snows on my '05 Scion XB and it pulls great in the snow. I passed by the hulking SUVs that were spun off the road in last weeks storm.
    Can you give me some Subaru info? This is the 1st Subie that I've researched. How will the Forester do as a daily commuter vehicle? I drive about 115 miles daily down to the DC metro area from the Winchester, Va. area, so I guess the auto tranny is the way to go for the stop and go traffic situation. How is the ride, reliability, MPG, regular maint. costs, etc.? Thanks for any info you can provide for my research.
    Rob
    I have a '98 Forester and work in DC, so I think I'm uniquely qualified to answer that question.

Mine has averaged 25 mpg in its lifetime, though yours is an auto the EPA ratings are actually higher.

It's a comfortable vehicle, you may even want to splurge and get a model with heated seats, since it gets cold in DC, and you also get heated mirrors to melt away the ice and even keep them clear in the rain.

Ride is good, and the wheel travel is great for pot-holes. I take Canal Road and the Clara Barton Parkway and the pavement is in poor condition due to the snow/ice, so I've been using the Forester instead of my Miata that I use primarily in the summer.

Maintenance is like any other vehicle, the only difference with AWD is that you have a rear differential that needs its oil changed every 30k or so (60k at most). Not a big deal, just 2 bolts to remove, one quart of 75w90 oil that you can get at the local parts store for a couple of bucks.

e-mail me and I'll give you some more details. Use my handle and then add @ifc.org to the end of it. I think you'll be happy with one.

-juice
    Juice
    Thanks for the feeedback on the Forester. I'm not sure if I want to go with the manual or auto tranny yet. Since my wife is totally loathe to driving a stick I may opt for the auto. How do you fare with the stick in the DC traffic? II commute from Winchester to Chantilly straight down RT 7 to 28. Once a week I go to Arlington. Is the Subie seat comfortable for long periods? I feel that I need a vehicle more substantial than my Scion XB. Pot holes and mounded snow have beaten up the Box in the past, but I really do like the MPG.
    Anyway thanks for your input and assistance with the Forester.
    Auto is better for city traffic. My left knee can get sore on a really bad commute, gotta admit.

Plus, if the wife ain't happy, noone's happy, right? ;)

-juice
    I second the auto. As much as I loath autos I went with one for my 05. Much nicer for commuting. Portland traffic isn't far behind DC traffic. I've still got my Miata and truck for rowing my own gears.
    A Miata and a Forester make a nice fleet, don't they?

I have the same thing. :shades:

-juice
    I hadn't thought about that. I had a Outback/Miata combo before and I'm not planning for a bigger car like you, since my girls are older and I don't have a nanny. I could use a housekeeper though. Trying to keep up with teenage girls is a bit of a challenge.
    We could all use a little help! :shades:

We have a property on the beach, and my kids are reaching the age where they'd like to bring a friend along. I'm just planning ahead and getting a vehicle that can accomodate that.

The last 2 vehicles I've owned, I kept one for 7 years, the other for 9 years and counting. So I have to think WAY ahead.

-juice
    I saw that Subaru has increased it's customer cash for the 07 Forester's. Since I've been researching the Forester for several weeks I have question on the fog lights. Does anyone use them extensively? How would you rate them? I'm asking because the 07 Forester X Sport has $2000 customer cash back, but the new bumper style is minus the fog lights.

I'm trying to decide if I really need the fog lights in lieu of the extra $1000 Subaru is offering. How would you rate the new Sport X front end?
    Thanks to all.
    OEM ones are useless. For well under $1000 you can get some very high quality Hellas for your Forester!

-mike
    Or just buy them as accessories. They're not that expensive at all. I'm sure your dealer could install them for a couple hundred.

-juice
    Thanks gang. I'll look into the Sport X this weekend, although I could really learn to appreciate the moon roof and heated seats with the Premium package.
This discussion has been closed.