Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    and don't leave out the memory seats!!! That's a class exclusive!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    "I've never sold a B-series truck, and only one tribute "

It's those vehicles that bring the Mazda brand image down.

Most people don't even know the B-Series truck even exists. It is ridiculous to correlate the B-series with negative brand image for Mazda.
    Mazda has a long history of selling compact trucks. Mazda heritage includes the REPU in 194-1977 with rotary engine. REPU is still sought out by enthusiasts.
    Mazda BT-50 is sold globally with the exception of North America. It is a nice truck with good quality and it fits with Mazda brand. It would be a welcome addition to Mazda in North America.

It would be great if Mazda would develop a small SUV or Crossover to compete with Tiguan, RAV4, CRV size vehicles instead of using Ford's Escape.

Mazda6 is a decent effort. My criticism is that it is too large, too heavy, too expensive and there is no hatch or wagon. I simply prefer the Japanese and European versions of the Atenza/Mazda6 compared to the one offered in U.S..
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Class exclusive? No. Not if you are thinking about V6 sedans at around $30k and about the same size as the Mazda6.
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    It would be great if Mazda would develop a small SUV or Crossover to compete with Tiguan, RAV4, CRV size vehicles instead of using Ford's Escape.

Rumor is the CX-5 is coming...built off of the Ford Kuga platform (from Europe of course) Check out the Mazda Kazamai concept unveiled at the Moscow show. Add two doors and tone down the styling.

Dave
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I have been a so-called naysayer about the V6 epa mgp ratings and still believe it is not good for Mazda to be several points under in that category. I have lauded the new Mazda6 in this forum many times but still feel that this hurts from a marketing viewpoint as the average midsize buyer doesn't spend time on these forums but do see the window stickers.

I hope other professional reviews come up with higher than epa averages for the Mazda6 V6 as well as customer "real world" feedback. It would make me more comforatable in considering the purchase of it. However, the vast majority of people still look at and compare vehicles by the EPA ratings and I still believe it was a mistake to from a marketing standpoint not to place more emphasis on being more competitive in that area.

Before anyone starts beating their chest....let's wait to see other examples of this much better fuel economy we can gather.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    It is not ridiculous to correlate the B-Series in the brand image, because organizations take into account all the vehicles the brand sells. The B-Series sells about 1,500 units/ year. While I think it's pointless to even consider them in a reliability survey, they are always included, especially with CR and JD Powers.

Mazda does have a crossover that competes with the Tiguan, RAV and CRV, It's called the CX-7. It's less expensive then the Tiguan when comparably equipped and the CX-7 has far more power and more features.
    I also believe that the EPA estimates on the window sticker could hurt potential sales. However, I am stunned at the fact that it got better "real world" fuel economy then both Accord and Altima. While Edmunds testing may not be what many owners may experience, it is a fair and balanced test because all vehicles were tested in the same conditions and went through the same tests and Mazda came out on top.
  • rupbrerupbre Member Posts: 12
    I'm getting 25.5 to 26.5 mpg with my v6. 70% hwy and 30% city.
    Can't complain about that!
    It would be nice if the 2009 Mazda6 owners would post in the "real world mpg" thread as well.
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    Keith,

Good luck on your purchase. I've had a CX-9 for a year now and I'm perfectly happy so far with it. Especially every time when I get to drive it on the back roads :-) I know it's too early to talk much about in terms of reliability, but no problems what so ever till now. Both my sales dealer and the service dealer (two different ones) have been quite friendly.
  • jason777jason777 Member Posts: 56
    Actually it is not true that I think every Mazda is junk, I wish people on here would stop making assumptions about what cars I have or haven't test driven or what I think.

Jeff are you are dealer? Just curious.

It wasn't a question of me having been unlucky, there are lots of Mazda customers in the same position as me, why do you think CR took years before they even rated the Mazda6 average, or are they just imagining things?
    That is great information on transmissions, I didn't know that.

So who makes a reliable transmission? Is there such a thing?
  • heybroderheybroder Member Posts: 78
    Awesome information aviboy97. tyvm :shades:
    CR recommended the Mazda6 in 04, 06-08. The only years omitted were 03 and 05.

If you look at the reliability history, you will see the 4 cyl engine has been flawless, and had a few tranny issues in 05.

It got an average rating because there are owners who have had no issues, and some who have had more then their fair share. Think of it as inconsistance. Mazda has stated that was a major priority, and have implemented better quality control measures to eliminate that.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    Right u are Sir!

The v6 block is common among Ford products. It is the head which is different between the Ford Taurus, theMazda6 and the Jaguar. I remember in2003 when Mazda came out with their 3.0 Duratec V6, it was better than the 3.0 v6 Duratec used in the Jaguar in terms of refinement :) :shades:
    That seems like a reasonable explanation. I am feeling better about it now.

Just to clarify Jatco means "Japanese Automatic Transmission Company" Sorry to be a stickler!
  • jeffb1124jeffb1124 Member Posts: 13
    Jason, first let me apologize, I didn't mean to word it as negative as I did. Sometimes what you think and what you type don't match.

2nd, I don't work for Mazda or Ford or any car dealer/maker. I understand where you are coming from, if I had issues with my Charger I would be upset too. It's much easier to say get over it when it doesn't happen to you (I'd probably be in the Charger forum pressing the issue as well, ;) ). As has been noted though Mazda has been getting better with reliability on the 6 and hopefully it is even better on the redesign. It won't be know for sometime but it seems as though Mazda has been noting the better quality in the press releases so hopefully it holds true.
    Jeff are you are dealer? Just curious

Oh gee, is that an assumption? Maybe you're the only one on here that doesn't work for Mazda and this is all a conspiracy. I have had great luck with many brands and also had some very bad examples of those same brands. I don't assume the brand is terrible unless I have had several of the same brand and had bad luck with all of them. You seem to make a lot of assumptions about the quality of materials going into Mazdas and like to accuse anybody that disagrees with you that they are just too emotional about their cars to have an objective discourse with you. Have you ever considered that you might be the emotional one because of a lot of bad things that went wrong with one car. Every single brand has it's lemons and a lot of people have worse horror stories than yours.

CR recommends many of the Mazda vehicles and has for several years....probably a larger percentage of their total model offerings are recommended than a lot of other manufacturers.

Give us a break please.
  • moveovermoveover Member Posts: 31
    So who makes a reliable transmission? Is there such a thing?

The transmissions made by ZF tend to be very good. My 335i has the ZF 6HP which is the best auto I ever owned. They tend to be used for higher HP RWD European cars, like BMW's. The V8 version of the Genesis also uses a ZF tranny.
    Had the ZF 5HP on my 04 Passat and it had no issues. VW went with the Aisin on their B6 Passat which gets a lower score according to CR on Minor Transmission Repair.

But you can't go by what CR tells you. My wife had a 1991 LeBaron Conv. with their infamous 4 speed and the Mits V6. No problems at all. When it came time to buy a Dodge Caravan in 1996, I followed CR's advise and bought it with the good old recommended 3-speed and the Mits V6. Tranny blew at 9 month old. :mad: Got Dodge to buy it back :lemon: and replaced it with a 97 with their infamous 4 speed and the 3.8 engine. No issues with that one, had it for about 70k. Replaced it with a 2001 Odyssey which needed a new transmission around 55k. :sick: Did not like the Honda Reliability and replaced it with a 06 MPV at around 90k.
    Actually the Mazda6 S Grand Touring comes standard with xenon headlamps, LED taillamps, rain sensing wipers and memory seats(two class exclusives), auto dimming outside rearview mirrors with puddle lamps (a class exclusive as only the Malibu and Aura have auto-dimming o/s driver's mirrors) and other exclusive features such as the blind spot monitoring system for an MSRP of about $28.9K. It only gets up to $30,690 when you add in the BOSE/Moonroof pkg. Even at those prices the Mazda6 is still comparable with the Nissan Altima 3.5SL/SE, Toyota Camry SEV6/XLEV6 and Honda Accord EX-LV6. As a matter of fact, with the way Nissan does it packaging the Altima 3.5SE fully loaded has a higher MSRP and Invoice than the Mazda6 does! So that indeed makes some of the features available on the Mazda6 class exclusives. Also, you don't have to step up to the Mazda6 s Grand Touring V6 to get these features, you can also get the Mazda6 i Grand Touring I4 which packs every feature of the S models minus the 18 inch alloy wheels. The MSRP for the i GT is around $25.9K without Moonroof pkg and gets to around $28K with that pkg.

Name one midsize family sedan in this class that has those features for 2009 with a starting MSRP around the same price as the Mazda6 i and s Grand Touring. I'm not talkin full-size or near-luxury sedans, I'm talking midsize family sedans which have similar MSRPs to this new Mazda6. The only car in this class that had these features off hand was the Passat 2.0t Lux and VR6 models, which have been discontinued for MY2009. Other than that, you'd have to step up to a Maxima SV with Sport or Premium pkgs., an Acura TSX or TL or a Azera...basically something in another class. The Mazda6 is neither full-size nor near luxury...so thus many of its features are indeed class exclusive.

When you factor in discounts, I can understand, but I'm more than sure you'll be able to get a Mazda6 at a discount price eventually, which would make it even cheaper than the "V6 sedans around $30K" that you mentioned ;)
  • leowinleowin Member Posts: 18
    I am a current owner of Mazda 3, the lease is ending sometime early next year so I am keen to continue my association with Mazda...Mazda 3 has been great, sporty, no problems / rattles, however the A/C performance is below par, infact very very weak. Does anybody know if the 09 Mazda 6 has better AC compressor? Also wondering if anti-whiplash headrests are standard on the 6?
    Lemme guess, you have a 04, 05 or 06 Mazda3? The A/C issue was solved for MY07. As for the Mazda6, I've never really heard of anyone having an issue with them. Mine still blows really cold at 45,000. They might use a different unit, remember, the 6 is built here.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I had thought my A/C was weak in my 2007 Mazda6. I eventually noticed the problem was that it would sometimes cut out when stopped, like it is supposed to do under hard acceleration.

The last flash update of the ECU mostly eliminated the problem...it has recurred only once. After the update it seemed like rpms would drop more slowly after stopping.

That said the A/C is not all that great, our '97 Ford Windstar is much colder as is my wife's '05 Jetta. I have to leave it on recirculate more than I think should be necessary.
    I stand corrected. There is the first complaint I have heard! :sick:
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I've heard read a few others
  • leowinleowin Member Posts: 18
    Lemme guess, you have a 04, 05 or 06 Mazda3? The A/C issue was solved for MY07. As for the Mazda6, I've never really heard of anyone having an issue with them. Mine still blows really cold at 45,000. They might use a different unit, remember, the 6 is built here

Yes, I have 05 Mazda 3. I really hope the AC has been given an upgrade on 6. Thanks for the answers.

btw I also hope that there are active headrests on the front seats on Mazda 6. I just dont recall reading about them on any of the reviews of the 6, so just curious..
  • jim1504jim1504 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know of a Mazda build site where you can build your Mazda 6 with options and get the S-Plan price? Thanks
  • webwarmillerwebwarmiller Member Posts: 20
    All you need to do is use Edmonds to get the Invoice Price. There's a regional assesment that will be added based on where you are located.....it's $255 here in DFW. So Invoice + Destination + Regional Assessment = S-plan price.
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    Kapaaian,

Do you know if the $400 rebate for S-plan (ie 400 off dealer invoice) is supposed to be available in New England area? Also the invoice price of Edmunds for GT V6 with Bose for the 2009 Mazda6 including destination is $450 less than my dealer's. Any idea why this could be?

Thanks in advance.
  • gfogfo Member Posts: 9
    I just picked my new I-Touring Silver 6 speed from the dealer and love it. I was able to get a total of $2,800 off the MSRP through my S plan and the additional $400 rebate as part of that along with the $1,000 private launch cash. The car handles great. I love the push button start system. The electroluminescent gauges are awesome. It could use a little more pep, but other than that this car is a winner.
  • maximusrtcmaximusrtc Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know if the $400 extra S-plan rebate is only applicable on purchases, or can it also be used towards a lease? (There's a $685 private launch lease rebate to go along with the current $500 lease rebate)

Also are you still required to pay the dealer doc fee under s-plan? I know many other plans from other manufacturers that only allow a $75 fee (such as gm supplier discount)

thanks
  • gfogfo Member Posts: 9
    Not sure if it applies to a lease or not. I was charged $250 for doc fees under the s-plan.
  • ncmazda6ncmazda6 Member Posts: 8
    I traded in my 2007 toyota camry two weeks ago on a 2009 mazda 6 I touring and love this car every minute. For the people thats looking at the 09 mazda 6, trust me its a good car because this is my 3rd one. The toyota carmy is a mess, trust me because I had one for a little over a year.
    post some pics. I have yet to see a stick shift model Mazda6!
    Your dealers invoice is higher because Edmunds does not account for the regional assessment charge Mazda charges to the dealer. Edmunds clearly states this in their pricing section.
    The dealer is allowed to charge a "reasonable documentation charge" to all transactions, including S-Plan. The customer does not determine what exactly "reasonable" is, the State that the dealer does business in has to approve any doc fee in order for the dealer to charge it. So, basically, whatever the doc fee is, you are going to pay it, regardless if you are s-plan or not.
    I drove from CT to NJ yesterday for a Mazda function and I had the liberty of taking an 09 Mazda6 i GT automatic. I filled it up with gas and set out on my drive to NJ. Since these new 6's have the on board fuel computer, I decided to test it out and see what these 6's get for highway fuel economy

I reset the computer as soon as I got on the highway. I also set the cruise control at 70mph and had the a/c on a low fan setting. During my 222 mile trip, the Mazda6 recorded a 31.3mpg average for the whole trip!. About 215 miles of the trip were highway. This was an 09 Mazda6 that also had no miles on it, and was not broken it. I was a bit surprised. I wonder if it's possible for the FE to go up after the engine is broken in? Possibly to 32 or 33 mpg highway?
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    I hope that's not the real mileage - it doesn't get any more ideal than that. I would hope the mileage would be at least 35 under those conditions.
  • kapaaiankapaaian Member Posts: 39
    A/C has been improved for 2009. Along with an entirely new system that is colder, the new one is noticeably quieter than my 2007.

S-plan rebate would apply to a lease.

I can't access new england programs. They are outside of our region which is how programs are done. Early on, I can't imagine there being big differences across the country however as it being a new car, there aren't differences in taste.

RE: Biker4: 70 mph is ideal for fuel economy? Wow, considering that most companies cars supposedly get their best fuel economy at 55, and the drop off is supposed to be steep over that for every 5 mph, I'd be really intrigued to see what you'd get from something like an accord with it's hearty .31 cd vs. the 6's .27.
    No other I4 in this class gets that. I would be highly shocked if Mazda, a company with FE as it's 3rd priority, could accomplish that.

BTW, rpm's were at 2,500 at 70mph. It was also very easy to pass when needed. The engine responded very well. The ride was also very very quiet. I was very impressed. The more and more I drive these, the more and more I want one.

I also caught a few people glaring with a "what the heck is that?" look on their face....in a good way.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I got just over 35 on an I4 Milan 5AT rental at 65-70 cruise. I've also gotten that kind of FE with I4 Sonatas, and those were pre-2009 (FE went up for 2009). So it is possible. Considering the 6 was brand new, mid-30s seems possible after break-in.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    I have the mpg computer on my 06 Mazda3, and I have found it to be conservative. I calculate my own mileage and compare it to the computer. Pretty much every time, the mpg computer is 1-2 mpg below my calculations. I fill my tank (no topping off each time) each fillup, so I know my calculations are fairly accurate (of course there are slight variations in when each pump would auto shutoff).

I am getting more intrigued by the new Mazda6. I got the $1000 rebate through email, plus I can use s-plan. If I would get one, I would probably step up to the V6. To me I would probably be spending an extra $20/month in gas vs my 3 now (I regularly get 30-31 mpg). The extra refinement and power would make up for that added cost. (of course the monthly payment would go up a bit too :sick: ). Quite tempting, but I may just wait to see what the new 3 will be like...anyone have updated info on it (when it will be out, specs etc?)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    No other I4 in this class gets that. I would be highly shocked if Mazda, a company with FE as it's 3rd priority, could accomplish that.

I can easily obtain 35 mpg in my 2007 Mazda6 i automatic given the conditions described. 33 mpg for an entire tank from pump to pump including some city driving has been replicated many, many times on trips.

If 2009 truly has better fuel economy than previous 6 as many have stated (not me), then it should obtain at least 33 mpg on highway.
    I can't get over 32 on the highway in my 05 Mazda6 5-speed manual. My guess is because I an turning 3,100 rpm's at 70mph.
    I guess we will see if it is possible to get mid 30's highway. Seeing over 31 with an unbroken in engine was quite a surprise. If it got 33 once broken it, I would be happy.

I have looked in the Accord FE threads, and it varies. Many get 31-32, some a little more, some a little less.
    I too have posted on the "real-world mpg" thread re. my 07 6i auto that I consistently get 31-33 mpg on a hwy only trip at 70mph avg speed(who drives 55???). That is on an engine EPA rates currently at 28 mpg hwy. So I think the surprize is that the new engine being EPA rated at 30 hwy, the actual hwy mpg would be even higher than the 1st gen I4. Something more like 34-35mpg was a little more expected for a straight hwy cruise.
  • kapaaiankapaaian Member Posts: 39
    Excuse me, we just got in our first I Grand Touring Manual transmission car... I need to go drive something....

*cackles*
  • tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    I see the 4 cylinder turns 2500 @ 70.
    Does anyone know what the V6 turns at 70?
    Obviously the lower the better !!!
  • crasht51crasht51 Member Posts: 9
    Throughly enjoying my new 09 Mazda6i GT with Navi. My salesperson mentioned that the audio presets can be tied to a given advanced key (like the seat position) so that each driver can have different presets. Did not see anything in the vehicle or navi manual about this. Anyone know if he was perhaps overstating the Advanced Key features?