Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• Options
    austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    In my test drive of a V6 grand touring, it was lower than that -- about 2100 at 70 mph, I believe. Rupre has posted here and owns one -- he would know better.
  • Options
    mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    For those that care, the IIHS frontal offset tests are in.
    Click Me
  • Options
    kapaaiankapaaian Member Posts: 39
    Government testing is also in. In it's class, it is the only vehicle to achieve a perfect 5/5 on all FIVE crash results including rollover. This is also the only vehicle to my knowledge to achieve this period.

By comparison, the accord only has 3 stars for rear side impact, and the camry, altima and malibu all have 4 stars for rollover.
  • Options
    maximusrtcmaximusrtc Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the heads up on the safety ratings - I guess more good news for potential owners..
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
  • Options
    frag235frag235 Member Posts: 81
    Thanks Kapaaian, that is good news.

I have a question that maybe you could answer...does the new 6 engines operate with a timing belt or a chain?
  • Options
    Timing chain. Mazda's haven't had belts in years.
  • Options
    I stopped into my local dealership today (central Ohio region) and inquired about s-plan pricing on the '09 M6. While they were willing to participate, when asking about the $400 s-plan rebate the salesman looked puzzled and said there was no rebate. He went on to say that he's only heard of Mazda doing that "once in the past few years"??

I'm not sure if my region is eligible for this rebate or not, but thought it was strange that the salesman hadn't heard of it. I also just called the Mazda customer line and inquired about the s-plan rebate and of course, the customer service guy hadn't ever heard of that either and just said "there are no current rebates on the 2009 Mazda6".

Can anyone help confirm or deny this for the Ohio region?

On a side note, don't think this has been mentioned yet, but checked out a iGT with gray leather interior. While I hated the two-tone appearance of the beige leather, I thought it was very good looking on the gray (more interesting than the monotone black).
  • Options
    rupbrerupbre Member Posts: 12
    At 70 mph, my v6 is turning 2100 rpm. The car is smooth.
  • Options
    gfogfo Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a 2009 I touring in Northern Ohio and used the S plan. I also received an additional $400 dollars for the S plan rebate. Plus I received a $1,000 private launch cash that I received from Mazda via email. So in total I was $2,800 under invoice.
    I asked the salesman about the rebate and he checked with the sales manager and said yes we also have the additional $400 rebate for the S plan.
  • Options
    Thanks gfo - I'll go back in this weekend and I guess I'll keep asking until they give me the rebate!
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    So in total I was $2,800 under invoice.

So you are saying S plan pricing is about $1400 under invoice, before the rebates you received? I always thought S plan was right at invoice, or maybe a little bit less.
  • Options
    rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    how did you get the private launch 1000 rebate. did you own a mazda previously.
  • Options
    The private launch $1k rebate was emailed out from Mazda - I assume to get this you had to have signed up for Mazda's email update/special offers. I signed up on mazda's website several months ago, when there was a mailing list to subscribe to "send me updates about the upcoming Mazda6". I'm not sure if signing up now on their website will work, but it's worth a shot. link

If that doesn't work you could always try calling or emailing them directly and asking for this.

As for the remark earlier regarding $2800 below invoice - I'm assuming he meant $2800 below sticker. The 6i touring under s-plan sells at an approx. $1400 discount to sticker, +$1k private launch rebate + $400 s-plan rebate = $2800. If purchasing 6i GT or 6i touring w/convenience pckg, your total savings should be approx. $3100 off sticker.
  • Options
    dman24dman24 Member Posts: 11
    I have been waiting for this car since I saw pictures of it a year ago. I want this car but I am trying to be patient and do my research (thus this forum). Here are my thoughts. I love the s gt. The only thing that I am not crazy about is the mpg. I see a lot of people in this forum think that the real world mileage will be higher than listed, but the car has only been around for just over a month so I'd like to see what experience people have. I have driven both, and with the salesman in the car I was a little timid to actually see what the car was made of. The i GT seemed to have enough kick for me. I am used to my 2001 Grand Am GT which only has 175 HP. I definitely like the mpgs on the i. The only things that I am not crazy about are the rims and I wish they had the dual exhaust as they do on the 6. I think thats a very appealing look. If anyone has any advice let me know. Hopefully I will get through this stage quickly and have one of these great cars in my driveway soon!
  • Options
    I tested the radio presets thing today. No dice. Salesperson either misheard the instructor or is making stuff up.

Most people will be more than content with the I model. The power is adequet, it passes well, cruises quitly and will only get better with time. Also, eventually mazda will offer Mazdaspeed accessories for it so if you still want a little more oomph, you could put a cold air intake and sport exhaust on it (and no, Mazdaspeed exhaust are not the angry swarm of bees. Just a slightly deeper note). In the old car, those two items picked up 10-20 horse depending on chaos.

The S model will, based on all early data, return mpg at least in line with EPA estimates, and well in line with that of other cars that don't nearly live up to theirs. The allure of the S model is downright intoxicating. There is so much *&*&ing power on hand that.... yeah. But it is only slightly quieter than the 4 cyl once up to speed (yes, acceleration is different). And the V6 just by nature of the price and difference in residual is 60 dollars more per month on a 24 month lease, 50 on 36. For that amount, I can get the nav system very easily (about 30 bucks on 24) which integrates with the bluetooth very nicely (automatic download of phone book from phone. VERY cool.)

Now, if there comes up a stick shift v6 with the 2010... that's different.
  • Options
    shelby500krshelby500kr Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am hoping someone (especially from a Mazda dealership) can shed some light as to why the two Mazda lease payment estimators I have used have returned much lower monthly lease rates than I was quoted recently at a dealership. I do get the S-Plan and, if I have read correctly (and also according to the estimator at Mazda American Credit), there is also an additional $500 rebate currently being offered. I realize these are just estimates but both are reasonably consistent with one another yet both are somewhat far off the dealer's quote. Without getting into too much detail, the one estimator sets the MSRP according to the base MSRP and does not allow options/packages to be configured in addition to the MSRP so I've been using a slightly up level trim package to bump up the MSRP.

What I have been doing is searching the Mazda dealership inventory and selecting a Mazda 6 with the packages I am interested in. I then click on 'View Details' and the estimated monthly payment. I take the Edmunds invoice estimate (for the S-Plan price) for the same car/package and plug that into the 'Estimated Sale Price'. I would also think this is where I take the additional $500 rebate off of?

Here's an example for the Mazda 6i Touring with the moonroof/Bose package:

MSRP: $25,035
    Invoice: $22,974 ($23,169 according to the dealership I went to and both are before adjusting for any rebate)
    Dealer quote: $346/month with $0 down
    Estimator quotes: $318/month with $0 down (avg. between the 2 estimators)

I read there may be different charges (document charges, assessment fees, etc) involved based on location but are they that much to make almost a $30/month difference? Perhaps the 'Invoice' price I am getting off of Edmunds is not the same invoice price that the S-Plan pertains to?

I called and spoke with the person who quoted me the price but he was with someone. He said there was a logical explanation that he could not recall at the moment but would speak with his sales manager and get back with me. I haven't heard back from him but it has only been a couple of hours. Again, I realize the calculators are just estimates but I was hoping to get a little more realistic quote if, in fact, I am putting the correct information in.

I am just hoping to find a way to get a rough idea of what the realistic payments would be around with the S-Plan and any rebates without having to go to the dealership and have them run every possible combination. I hope this all made sense and someone is able to help me better understand it :)
  • Options
    The difference you're talking about, 26 dollars a month, seems about right. Sounds like you're checking out a dealer with an assessment fee, so that's the extra bit on the invoice. They're not messing with you there, and yes, it is something real and no, S-plan doesn't exempt you from it.

So that's 195 dollars which on a 24 month lease is about 10 dollars a month. Increases to invoice without an increase in msrp work straight up. This is why accessories that residualize increase the msrp and invoice, while ones that don't, only increase the invoice.

The other 16 dollars a month is likely in the money factor or the calculation of tax. Different states calculate tax in different ways so the estimators can't take all of them into account.

Are you buying this car in Ohio by any chance? That's our exact invoice for an I Touring with roof.
  • Options
    mackrelmackrel Member Posts: 4
    dman,

I've had my S GT since Aug 8 and have put 1,500 miles on it. That's not much, but the EPA mileage estimate is holding out to be pretty close. I've done the put-put driving around town, and it's been on a 800 mile round trip in two days. I think it's fair to say that someone shouldn't buy it for the great mileage. It's just decent. But, isn't that okay when you consider all the other cool things the 6 does? Heck, it's still better than my ol' SUV.

Mack
  • Options
    sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    Got my V6 GT with Bose package for $27,400 including the $1000 private launch cash. The car is Sangria red with black interior and the car looks ultra sleek. Enjoying the drive so far. Interesting, though the car doesn't excel in handling or even the steering feedback etc, the overall drive feel is extremely satisfying and even exciting to me now. Apart from the nice driving characteristics, the car comes with quite a good list of features. I already like the blind spot monitoring system and I can see me finding this very useful soon. The bose system is nice but doesn't perform as good as I expected though it appears strong on paper (330+ watts, bose, subwoofer etc, etc). Siruis comes with this package with 6-month subscription, but looks like I have to call Sirius to activate it - I get only one - some sirius emergency channel now.
    The whole interior lighting, especially the welcome lighting thing is uber-cool in the night. The smart key is also cool with the way it senses your hand under the handle and unlocks. The smart key also works fine for unlocking the trunk as it senses when you are in the rear of the car too and unlocks when you press the release button on the trunk. The only annoyance is when there is a passenger you have to enter the car and then unlock all the doors for the passenger to enter. The double-click-unlock-all-doors is gone with this. But the car can be programmed to unlock all 4 doors by default it seems and that's the first thing I would be doing I think.
    Overall the car is just awesome, especially for the money.
  • Options
    webwarmillerwebwarmiller Member Posts: 20
    Semund,

Did the dealership you bought your car from not go over the user options that the service department sets for you before taking delivery? One of the options is for all the doors to unlock when you touch the driver's door handle and I have mine set to do so. Another cool feature is the smart turn signal that can be program to flash 3 times with a simple tap of the turn signal. It's great when you want to change lanes as you only have to give it a quick tap intead of holding it down or fully engaging it only having to disengage once in the other lane.
  • Options
    sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    Webwarmiller, yes the dealership did hand me a small list of customizable features and let me know that I can set the option that I want for each of those features. That's how I found out that all 4 doors unlocking is something I can get if I want. As this customization will be done only once free of cost, I am going to wait for a couple of weeks so that by that time it would be clear to me what I would like as the default setting for all the list of those customizable features, and get that done at one shot.
  • Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Does that mean the end user can't make these changes themselves?
  • Options
    tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    As this customization will be done only once free of cost,

That is pretty cheap of them. Obviously all they need to do is attach a computer and with a few key strokes make the changes. Or if you have the Navigation use a hidden screen. All in all should take no more than 10 minutes.

I am impressed from what you said about the keyless (and buttonless) entry. Sounds just like my $52K Lexus. I put my hand on the handle to open the door and it senses my hand is there and unlocks all 4 doors. The driver vs all 4 door option is user programmable. That was one of the first things I changed (to all 4 doors).
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    That is pretty cheap of them.

I'm sure the dealers would do more for free or be paid by Mazda to do it, if they were able to soak buyers for $52K for the car, ala Lexus.
  • Options
    gfogfo Member Posts: 9
    Yes, thanks that is correct. $2,800 below sticker.
  • Options
    snoopy316snoopy316 Member Posts: 12
    What do you guys think about the colors that Mazda Offers in the new 6?

I recently ordered a 2009 mazda 6 s GT in comet gray but i think that was a bad color choice. I went over to the dealer ship this evening to see the comet grey he had on the lot, and i think it looks really purple to me...

They had a Kona Blue there should i switch to that... What do you guys think?
    The comet grey looks great in photos, but purple in real life..
  • Options
    jayp130jayp130 Member Posts: 4
    Honestly I would switch to the blue if the price you agreed to doesn't change.
    I also was told by my salesman via e-mail he has a mazda 6 available with my specifications in comet gray even though I wanted black, so before I agreed to anything I drove by the dealership since its close to home, to take a look at the color and even brought 2 friends and my sister and all agreed that color wasn't that attractive. And your right it doesn't look anything like the pictures in brochures or online, it its like a bluish gray to me. However my friends and sister said if you can use it as bargainning chip its acceptable. Unfortunatley the 6 I want only comes in the Gray, Red, Black, and Silver but your model has way more options of color. I also think mazda selected some poor colors for the 6. I only like the blue, black and even the red (not for me personally)... I'm also a fan of the white as matter of fact I would select white, but for some reason Mazda won't allow manual transmission drivers own Mazda 6 in white, according to the brochure and online the PERFORMANCE white is not available with M/T go figure. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Hi kapaaian, thanks so much for your reply. I figured it was either something I or the estimator was leaving out or that I misunderstood how to get a 'ballpark' number when calculating the S-Plan price. This forum has already been a huge help to me and your replies have been extremely helpful to me. Thanks again!

I am in neighboring Michigan although, if I were in OH, you'd be the first person I'd come talk to! :)

Someone else had mentioned the radio and I agree, it does look a little better on paper. I currently have an Explorer with the 'Audiophile' system and, while its far from true audiophile standards, it does sound better to me as far as the lows and overall volume. The Mazda 6 Bose does have more watts but that total is divided amongst more (10 total?) speakers. I was a little surprised because I thought the smaller cabin space would make up for it but, to me, the Bose package didn't seem quite as loud as my current (200-something watt I believe) Ford. I turned the bass up in the Mazda 6 Bose system and was surprised that it seemed almost non-existent compared to what I am used to hearing. The mids on the Bose are like night and day when compared to my current radio though; they are very tight which was good to hear. The Bose clearly wins in overall clarity as well and is still a very nice system.

I was trying to concentrate on the test drive so I wasn't messing around with the radio too much but, does anyone know if there is a seperate adjustment for the subwoofer output (besides the overall bass) on the Bose package?
  • Options
    Sedmund, I now envy you :) Thanks for the info as well.

The 6s Grand Touring is what I wanted if I could do it, I'd be quite happy even with the 6i Grand Touring with the Bose package. It's amazing how much some more power and two SWEET looking exhaust ports on the back can add to the 'I want that!' factor. haha I love my music so the only one that I have found that comes close to a comfortable price for me is the 6i with just the Bose package.

Glad to hear you're enjoying driving it so much!
  • Options
    I wish there were some more color options that appealed to me, but I know that's a subjective area. I'm interested in the s sport, which eliminates the beige and light blue exterior colors. Of the remaining colors, black cherry is my favorite, with silver as second choice. The red is okay, but I'm not a black or white fan, and that leaves only the dark blue and gray. I agree about the gray -- my brother went with me and pointed out the purplish hue right away.

The interior colors are more disappointing to me than exterior. I don't care for an all-black interior, and Mazda is big on black. I'd say 75 percent of the inventory at my local dealer has black interiors. The s sport model I want has a cloth interior, so the only other choices are gray and beige. The gray is far too light, while the beige may be liveable, but still pretty light and prone to show any little spot, like coffee, etc.

What Mazda is missing out on, in my opinion, is offering cloth interiors in shades like medium gray, taupe, stone, etc., a la Camry and Accord, that are much more practical for everyday use than the very light gray and beige they offer.

The whole color thing may wind up being a moot point for me, since the s sport model, regardless of color, is practically non-existent so far, at least in my region. I live in the Louisville/Cincinnati/Lexington area. Using the Mazda website system for checking dealer inventory, not a single dealer in that region has even one s sport model on hand. I'm beginning to think Mazda is seeing that as a loss-leader model -- put it in the catalog, then make availability so scarce you discourage the buyer. They're certainly succeeding with me. Of course, my local dealer has offered to order one, but only at a non-negotiable MSRP. :sick:

I like the car a lot and have made up my mind about buying one. I've shopped the other V6 sedans and the Mazda6 is much more appealing to me. But availability of the model I want is discouraging enough that I may wind up keeping my servicable 4 cyl. Accord a while longer until something more accessible comes along.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    And I've voiced my opinion about Mazda's limited color selection since I first heard about it. I was orginally wanting the Dark Cherry color and was upset because Mazda does not offer that color on the manual transmission models. After seeing Dark Cherry and Comet Gray in person I was not impressed. If there were two colors I wish Mazda would add for mazda6 models would be the Kona Blue and Performance White..and I wish that gray cloth and leather was at least available. I can do without the Beige....but a gray cloth, cloth/leather and leather combo should be available to those of us who prefer a stick shift and some color variation.
  • Options
    The interior color thing has a lot to do with volume. When you sell significantly more cars (accord, camry) you can offer more colors and interiors because there is more to draw upon. Considering 97% of customers here won't even glance at a sedan with gray or beige, that's what people stock.

I do agree that the gray is too light, the first gen gray was significantly darker. As the volume grows, more colors will come along.

We have an S-Sport up here in akron. Black with beige.
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I'm a little disappointed with both the gray and beige interiors. First, it's really just the seats and door inserts that are beige or gray, then rest of the interior stays black. It looks funny. Plus, the seat belts are black, and that really looks weird with the beige. Since this is the consensus with most dealers around here, I am expecting to see mostly black interiors.
  • Options
    smallcarsmallcar Member Posts: 39
    I would like to see white offered on the manual transmission too. Does anyone think they may add more color options in the near future or is it not likely until the next model year?
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I don't see any more interior colors for Accord or Camry than for Mazda6: Black, Tan, and Gray for Accord and Camry apparently has two interior colors with confusing names.

Considering 97% of customers here won't even glance at a sedan with gray or beige

I'm a typical in customer in that regard...black (or at least a dark gray) is about the only interior color I'd consider. I once had a Contour with a dark blue interior, I bought it used but really liked having the unusual (but still dark) interior color.
  • Options
    I had a 91 Celica with a dark blue interior (dash, seats, floor) and it really looked nice, especially with the white exterior.
  • Options
    kapaaian, aviboy97,

Thanks for your insights on cloth interior colors. I think I'm settling on silver exterior/black interior. Can't really get comfy with that light of a beige interior-- would make me nervous with a cup of coffee. Silver/black seems like a combo more likely to show up sooner or later in my area, especially based on what you all are saying about customer preferences. Hope it's sooner. If I do compromise with a black interior, at least I'll be in good company with lots of other Mazda owners. ;)

BTW -- Others have noted the helpful input the two of you are offering on this thread, I'll add my own thanks to both of you for offering comments that, while often showing your enthusiasm for your product (nothing wrong with that -- I like the car, too), also contain realistic takes, such as what you are both saying about the beige and gray cloth interiors being somewhat disappointing in certain ways. Instead of always giving us a positive spin on whatever comes up, you are both willing to be realistic and see the pluses and minuses. That's refreshing. Keep it coming.
  • Options
    derfhderfh Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me a run down on how good the nav. systems is in the new 6. How it integrates with their phone and the A/C controls etc.

I am trying to figure out if I should get a V6 GT with or without NAV.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    The nav system actually has nothing to do with the HVAC controls. The nav will influence your audio controls, and your audio system (Bose) is controlled via your touch screen on the nav system.

The Bluetooth system is also separate. It is controlled through the phone buttons on your steering wheel.

As for the nav system overall, it is a vastly improved system over the previous one. It is more user friendly, and the map has a higher quality of graphics. The voice command is much more clear, and has better voice recognition software. I used it on my trip to NJ last week, and it worked great.
  • Options
    Hey Aviboy, scroll down on the nav screen ;-)

All of the bluetooth controls are integrated into the touch screen as well as being able to use the voice commands and steering wheel controls. The best part is, you can download your phone book straight from your phone with it. As he said, it is a much improved system. The bluetooth thing is probably the main reason I'll get it ;-)

As for the rest of the system, there are 2 things I'm unsure of. How the ipod integration works because there is a seperate source for it, so it may work very very well, and the second aux input is both audio and video.
  • Options
    yankeekm91yankeekm91 Member Posts: 15
    I want to buy a new 6, probably an iTouring or iGT and I cant decide on a color. So far I like black, the dark gray, and kona blue. The only problem is that the kona blue in the brochure is really bright while mazda's website shows it to be much darker. If anyone can confirm this or has any pictures of a 6 in Kona Blue, I'd really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Kona blue is fairly dark and a good color. the two "bad" colors are smokestone and icy blue. everything else has looked very sharp irl. The Kona blue is about a half shade darker than the old "lapis blue" on the first gen 6.
  • Options
    Yankeekm91

I would be a little leary about the comet grey. I ordered my sGT in coment grey two weeks ago, and i called my dealership today to change it to black.. The grey looks purple under some lighting. During the day, the car is greyish blue, at night or under any sort of non natural light the car is totally purple.

I was in full blown panic mode when i saw the car at night.. Black is gonna be hard to keep clean, but ide rather have a car that looks black all the time than a car that looks purple 50% of the time.

THe blue is nice too.. But that too is iffy color in alot of light. Go check these cars out in person during different times of the day, you will be in shock, esp. with the comet grey
  • Options
    No $%^&! I didn't know that! Even I can learn something here!
  • Options
    The Kona Blue is my favorite color, besides Onyx Black. I have a Lapis Blue Mazda6 now, and I like the Kona blue much much better.

I will agree with the Smokestone and light ice blue, they are just ugly. I wish the Performance White had pearl in it. It would look so much nicer.
  • Options
    rupbrerupbre Member Posts: 12
    You guys are making me feel bad with my comet grey.....Anyway i like it. It is blueish grey. The purplish color is probably due to street lights like high pressure sodium. However it will effect every color car. Mine is in side at night anyway. That is why they make different colors thought, something for everyone... :)
  • Options
    I like the comet gray, it looks really nice in the sunlight. We order a lot of them because it's a safe color. Can't go wrong with gray or silver, they always sell!!!
  • Options
    heybroderheybroder Member Posts: 78
    I think the Sangria Red Mica looks awesome! I wish they had a beautiful blue. Oh well. lol tc all :shades: :shades:
  • Options
    I loved the way that comet grey looked in the sunlight.. But once it was dusk or early morning. It looked slightly purple. For a guy... U cant have a car that looks purple.

Its too bad they didn't make the car in a slate grey. Oh well, black is nice too. Just alot more maintenance.