Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    you could make the pressure 35psi and you will get better mileage but the car will ride harder.
  • hoysum81hoysum81 Member Posts: 5
    thanks for the answers guys, but it happened again just before. it took me 3 tries to start the car. i had my foot on brake the whole time too. I just found out another thing. for some reason, the car temperature, the pin was all the way up, on top, and then it went slowly back to the middle. I wanted to know if this is normal? thanks again for answers
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Just to be sure, buy your own quality tire pressure gauge. The gauge at the local gas station could have been thrown around a thousand times and should not be trusted.
  • heybroderheybroder Member Posts: 78
    Does anyone know for sure which is the better engine: the 2.0 or the 2.3 that comes in the Mazda3? No one in that forum knows much. tyvm guys/gals :shades:
  • rvsecarvseca Member Posts: 3
    there is not a better engine! there both very well made but its do you want more power or more MPG even though the difference is not much 2 miles per gallon i personally would go with the 2.3 5 dr.
    Yeah, that is what I was thinking......got to go with the 2.3. tyvm! :shades:
  • maximusrtcmaximusrtc Member Posts: 17
    Picked up my new 2009 Mazda6 on Saturday - wanted to share my thoughts for those interested:

First, the deal - 2009 Mazda6i Touring w/convenience package AT. Onyx Black exterior, black leather/cloth interior.
    MSRP $24,885
    S-Plan Price $23,049
    S-Plan rebate ($400)
    Private Launch ($1,000)
    Net Price - $21,649 (+ttl +$250 doc fee)

Impressions:
    Exterior: Went with the black onyx which (IMO) looks awesome and very sporty, although obviously will be tougher to maintain. All of the chrome and silver Mazda accented the vehicle with really stands out with the black which I love. 17" alloys are growing on me, they look much better up close than in pictures or from far away. I've had several complements on the looks in the few short days I've owned it.

Interior: I was tempted by the gray interior choice, but they were just far too light and some strange choices by Mazda (i.e. black seat belts) really were the clincher to go with the black. The leather/cloth combo so far is very nice - - gives you the look of upscale leather but with a little more uniqueness and comfort with the cloth inserts. It'll be interesting to see how much the cloth inserts warm up the feel this winter (contemplating after-market heaters). I really like the look of the glossy-black inserts on the console area (SOOOO much better than the faux wood used by many competitors). The stereo area is somewhat confusing with the myriad of buttons, this is helped though by the steering wheel-mounted controls. Omission of the mute button (which is replaced by the bluetooth 'call' button on the wheel) is a downside.

Features:
    So far the bluetooth works very well. The voice recognition so far has yet to fail and incoming calls are clear. I've had some complaints from people on the other end having problems hearing clearly, but that could be a phone or signal strength issue. I like how Mazda includes "auto" features like climate control, lights, wipers, etc. but doesn't force the user into it. Xenon lights are great at night, as is the very cool illumination the 6 has (gauges, stereo, etc. are all lit up nicely). The advanced keyless entry works very well, I love how it 'senses' your hand on the door handle and immediately unlocks the door. Blind Spot Monitoring is a great technology and has worked very well.

Ride/Handling/Performance: Went with the 2.5L I4 and so far I think I made the right decision, saving me ~$2,500 upfront and likely $500 a year on gas. MPGs so far averaging 26-27 in about a 50/50 mixed driving. I hoping this improves with engine wear-in and with me being a little less aggressive on the pedal. I'm no car expert, but so far I've been impressed with the handling. Acceleration is good (for a 4cyl) and road noise is almost completely eliminated in the cabin.

Negatives: the steering wheel mounted audio controls make a very high pitch "beep" every time the volume or station is changed, which is very annoying. For example, if you have the volume set low for some reason (lets say volume '5') and want to turn up to the average listening volume (between '15'-'25') you will hear a beep for every notch you do. Even if you hold up the volume button, you will then get one continous loud beep until you reach your volume destination. Does anyone know if this can be turned off/reduced? Also, wind noise has been an issue, as I feel like I'm hearing a consistent wind noise over my left shoulder - almost sounds like an issue with a gap in the sealant in the door or something - - if it doesn't improve I might get it checked at the dealer.

Overall:
    I would highly recommend the vehicle for those looking in this class - the combination of style and features are a class above the competition in this segment. It really feels like I'm driving a luxury car which is amazing considering the $21k purchase price. For those on a budget, the 6i Touring w/convenience package is a great deal, as you get nearly all the features of the GT for $1,600 less (plus it's nearly impossible to find a GT without the $1700 Moonroof/bose package-so if those features aren't that important to you, you are really saving $3k+)

I'd be glad to answer any questions -
  • kapaaiankapaaian Member Posts: 39
    Go through the menu where the bass and treble are. There is an option to turn the beep off. This menu is accessed by pressing the tuning knob (each press goes to a new item, bass->treble->balance->fade->Welcome->beep.... I think in that order or close). I don't know why they come with the beep on from the factory. First thing I disable when I test drive a car.

As for lack of mute, this has always bugged me too, but the one saving grace is the mode button does pick up the ability to turn off the stereo complety and to turn it on. This isn't the case without the Bt. So you can "mute" the stereo by pressing mode about 2 times depending on where you are in the stereo.
  • yankeekm91yankeekm91 Member Posts: 15
    I got a S Plan pin number from WorldKarting and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the S Plan pricing is in New York (Long Island specifically). I called MazdaUSA and they told me that the pricing car specific and they couldn't tell me.

Basically, I want to know if there is a S Plan rebate in my area and what the regional assessment fee is. Also, how did you guys get the $1000 private launch cash. I signed up for email updates and never heard back from them.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    The 2009 Mazda 6 is the one to beat. Amazing looks, amazing value for the money. Signed for a new one on Saturday. GT-I4 with luxury package, Dark blue with grey leather. Can't wait to pick it up.
    I am very picky, I truly love what they did with this car. Nothing currently comes close. But I did find 3 things to complain about.
    1. The outside mirrors do not fold.
    2. The dash uses the soft nice to the touch material on the passenger side, and uses hard plastic on the drivers side.
    3. The clicking sound of the turn signals drove me nuts when I was test driving the car. Can that sound be changed?
    Other than that, I have nothing bad to say.
  • webwarmillerwebwarmiller Member Posts: 20
    The volume of the turn signals can be reduced. This is one of the options the service dept will set for you after filling out your 'preferences' card.

Others have mentioned the dash issue, but can you think of the last time you ever touched that area of the dash as a driver (other than checking to see what it was made of)? My only concern is whether or not the two sides will age the same and still look the same.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    My only concern is whether or not the two sides will age the same and still look the same.

I think it will.

My 2003 Mazda6 (non-garaged), parked in the sun, has the central cubby cover made of hard plastic, and the rest of the dash made of soft touch material. After 5 years, they still look new, with no color change whatsoever.
    jkobty2,

You say you got it in dark blue? Do you mean Kona Blue?

If it is, any chance you could post some pictures of the exterior and interior of the car.

I'm undecided on what color I want and I've been thinking about the kona blue, gray leather combo. If you can't post pictures, if you could please post a description of what the car looks like with that combination.
  • gfogfo Member Posts: 9
    In regard to the $1,000 private launch, I signed up via the website before the car was "officially" launched. About 2 weeks after the dealers started received the car I received an email from Mazda that included the private launch cash.
    Yes, I believe it is called the Kona blue. The color in real life is a bit different than the picture in the brochure (read darker blue). the color in the picture looks lighter and shinier. I have not taken delivery of the car yet, I placed an order and probably have to wait a couple of weeks. I am in Canada and the cars just started trickling in.
    I can describe it though. ITS AWESOME. The darker colours look nice on this car. More so than the lighter ones. The best color on it is the Black, but I have been driving a black car for 10 years and I wanted a change, plus I am not a big fan of black leather interior. Not enough contrast for me, especially that the wood trim is also dark (You cannot call it exactly would trim, but it is really cool looking).
    Basically the dash is the same as the other colors, the doors have grey leather section in the middle, sandwished between 2 dark areas giving great contrast, The seats are grey leather with black leather on the back of the seat. Probably so it does not get dirty from people sitting in the back. The grey leather is really light grey almost similar to a lighter tan color. That is it looks more white than brown. Looks like a really rich persons car. Champagne taste on a beer budget, that's me
    Thanks for the info...would you consider kona blue to be as dark as navy blue?
    No, it is a bit lighter but very close. Some blue colors can make a car look cheap. Especially if they were too bright. This one is not like that.
  • maximusrtcmaximusrtc Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the info about the settings - as of this morning my beep is officially off (I would have figured that out myself if I would have known pressing the tuning knob got you to the audio settings, I couldn't figure that out either (the stereo was set with both the Treble and Bass maxed out which sounded pretty horrible..)

I tried Pressing the mode button which will get the volume off - but I believe this is by switching to the bt audio/aux mode, so my guess is if you had those hooked up it would just switch to that...?
    Press it a few more times. It cycles.
  • m4bamam4bama Member Posts: 1
    How does the two non black interior colors look in person on the website they look far to light for my taste.

thanx
    They are light yes. The tan one does not look as nice as the grey because it does not match the rest of the interior pieces especially the door accents, wood accents, etc.. Looks out of place.
    Black or grey is the way to go. The grey is light. if you do not like light colors, then black is the other option.
  • thisguy10thisguy10 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2009 Mazda6 iGT, and I'm having trouble with the Bluetooth hands-free phone connection. My friends on the other line all say that they can barely hear me and it sounds mumbled. Anybody else have a similar problem? Is there a fix to this?
  • weathergirlweathergirl Member Posts: 35
    Hello All,

I have been reading your tips and advice for a few weeks now. I really appreciate all of the reviews and information you have shared. I've been car shopping for over a year and couldn't find the right car. I saw and drove the new Mazda6 and was instantly hooked. I have read the comments on here about getting the S Plan price from the World Karting Association. For those of you who have done this, how long did it take to receive your S Plan info once you submitted your membership application? Do they email you your membership number (as it is required on their online form for the Mazda S Plan application)? Does it matter if you are not a racer?

I'd appreciate any information that can be shared! Thank you!
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    As to the question about interior colors -- the gray and beige cloth interiors are far too light for me. They don't seem practical, prone to showing dirt very early on. I've seen both in person.

In addition, they're not color-coordinated with the rest of the interior, as seems to be the case with most other new cars. Beige seating in other cars is normally coordinated with similar carpeting, doors, and at least part of the dashboard. With the Mazda6, the beige or gray seating is basically floating in a sea of black. Even the seatbelts are still black.

That's why, even though I'd like a lighter interior, I've settled on the black. At least it's color coordinated with the rest of the interior.

All of that is about the cloth interiors, since I'm looking at an s sport. On the other hand, the gray and beige leather seating didn't strike me the same way, and I've seen both of those in person. I think I'd be okay with either of those in terms of practicality, even though they're still not color coordinated with the rest of the interior. If they were an option for the s sport model, I'd probably go with one of them.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Crashcourse23,

I live in MA too and am within a couple of days of making a purchase of a new 6i.. Can you tell me who the dealer was so that I might contact them? My dealer only offered $1000 off invoice...

:)
    I was said to hear that only those who have owned a Mazda are eligable for the $1000 Launch Offer! I wanted it badly! :shades:
    Not true. I've never owned a Mazda, and received the $1,000 launch bonus.

I did sign up very early on the Mazda website to receive information about the car. I'm thinking that was the reason they sent it to me. Don't really know.
    I registered with WorldKarting for S Plan and it took about 5 or 6 days from when I first mailed the application. There are no requirements (you dont have to race) and all you have to do is pay $55 as a registration fee.

Just a tip, write that you are interested in Mazda S Plan and tell them to email you your membership number on the application. This way, they can send you your membership number via email and you can then send another email to the person in charge of S Plan.

After mailing my app, it took about 3 or 4 days to get membership number and from there another day or 2 to get my Mazda S Plan certificate. I just got this done and I'm going to the dealership this weekend...hopefully all goes well.
    Thank you for your quick reply! Good luck at the dealership! Which Mazda 6 are you getting?

So far I've been to my 3 local dealerships. None of them have been able to show me the Welcome Lighting System. I thought I read somewhere that there was more to it than just the lights under the mirrors on the doors. Is there anyone on here who can explain it to me?
    I received the $1000 discount too, and I never owned a Mazda before.
    I think the Welcome lighting system has to do with lights coming on sequentially and not all lights at the same time or something like that. I have not seen it either.
    Anyone here owned a Mazda 6 for longer than 5 years? although this car is totally different, it helps to know their prior track record. Basically I was looking at the mazda repair forum, and noticed people having electrical and engine start troubles for 4-5 year old cars. Got me kinda worried.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    I have owned Mazda from 1999. Started with a Protege ES and then moved to the 2003 Mazda6s. Reliability wise it has been no different than any other car in the near and distant family members. Both cars aged very well. The 2003 Mazda6s is still with me and as of now no intentions of giving it away :shades:
    Im probably gonna get the i Touring or i Grand Touring.

Since you've been to several dealerships, could you give me some information on colors? Have you seen any 6's in Comet Gray or Kona Blue? If so, how do they look? If you have any pictures, could you please post them? If not, a description of the colors would be awesome.

What I'm especially interested in is the Kona Blue. The pictures on mazdausa.com show the color to be almost navy blue. The brocure, however, shows a very bright (and in my opinion) ugly blue. If you've seen one in person, how would you describe it?
    Me too. I have not owned a Mazda before but received the $1,000 private launch cash. I also signed up a couple of weeks before they released the cars to the dealers. It took about 3 weeks before I received the offer via email.
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    the kona blue is very in your face blue. at least my impression. in other words it is very very blue.
  • webwarmillerwebwarmiller Member Posts: 20
    Just figured I would post what the onboard computer says my avg MPG's were for an interstate trip from Dallas to Baton Rouge last night. I own an iGT and had the cruise set at 78-79mph and the computer shows a 29.2 mpg average for the trip. This is about what I expected given the EPA rates it a 30 mpg and that is based off a speed closer to 65-70 mph. Had I set the cruise at 70 mph I'm sure I would have gotten at least 30 mpg.
    The Kona Blue is not a navy blue at all (I would've loved a navy 6i!). It is a brighter blue than navy. I think it is similar to, but not exactly the same as, the bright blue that Pontiac and Nissan (350Z Altima coupe or new Sentra) use. I think it also looks brighter than the 09 Mazda 3 blue. I read the comments from people who thought the Comet gray looked kind of purple at night. I saw a Comet gray one in full sun, and it was very pretty. It's a bit lighter than a charcoal gray. It reminded me of a gray crayon. When I saw one at night on the lot, and with some light reaching it, it did look a bit different. I'm not sure I'd call it purple, but perhaps more blueish gray. Your best bet might be to walk the lot on a Sunday to see for yourself. Sorry I can't be of more help!
    My apologies if this question has already been addressed. I noticed on the Mazda 6i Touring (with the push button start) there seems to be a cover over where the normal key ignition would be. The salesman pulled a key out of the keyfob that could be used to unlock the doors. Does anyone know if you could use that key to start the car if the battery in your keyfob dies? Is the cover removable? Forgive me, I'm sure it's covered in the owner's manual, but I haven't bought the car yet.
  • jayp130jayp130 Member Posts: 4
    I have seen a couple posts already mentioning there is no mute button on their steering wheels, and I noticed that everyone who mentioned they dont' have it, own the touring model (not sure about GT). I have the '09 i sport model and have the mute button on my steering wheel (the greatest thing ever). But all you guys with touring models or better have other cool things esp. if you have conv. package (like push start and door handle sensory), I guess they couldn't let you have it all! but sorry to hear that there is no mute button on the steering wheel, sometimes its the little things.
    The cover is over the "ignition" is removable. You put the "dummy" key in there if the battery in the fob is dead, then press the start button. NEVER turn the key in a touring or grand touring. It can damage both the key and the column.
    Thank you so much for clearing that up! Especially the part about not turning the key. I wish you could give a class to the salesmen out here. I know they work hard, but they don't seem to know anything about the Mazda 6. One guy I did a test drive with even admitted he was gone the day they introduced it to them at the dealership. You seem to know the vehicle very well, I hope your customers appreciate it as much as readers on this forum do!
    I have an I-Touring model and have the mute button. I think I read that for those that have the blue tooth feature it replaced the mute button on the steering wheel.
  • drosadrosa Member Posts: 24
    I am coming off my '04 6s lease next month and looking to buy an '09 6s.

I got $1000 MAC Bonus Cash card in the mail I got a private launch card in the mail but it did not have any discount stated on it (kinda pissed bout that). Does anybody know if these are stackable? $1000 MAC rebate and $1000 private launch ( I am going to contact Mazda about getting the private launch offer w\out the discount)
    At the end of a test drive yesterday, after the engine was turned off, a smell came into the cabin (after the doors were opened, I believe) that seemed like the new engine smell someone else mentioned earlier. I don't recall noticing it during the drive itself. It was nothing like the new car smell we've all experienced that comes from the carpeting, plastics, etc., inside the car. It seemed like something that had been produced by heat.

I believe someone said earlier that this is normal with Mazdas and that it disappears after the first 100 miles. Have any of you owners experienced this, and has it gone away?

Documentation fees at the two dealers in my area I'm in negotiations with are $489 and $591. This seems high, especially based on some earlier posts that were more in the $250 range. Anyone else seeing fees that high?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    That burning smell you smell is normal. It goes away long before 100 miles. It is cosmoline that coats the exhaust, and the smell is it burning off.
  • billybeartkubillybeartku Member Posts: 1
    so I went to a local mazda dealership yesterday in so.cal. this is the 2nd dealer I was trying to work with cuz the first dealer was trying to sell me the car i don't want and the deal was horrible. So i went there, car was okay, it was what i wanted and we finally got down to biz. However, when he pulled the price out, i was shocked. I want to get v6 GT w/ moon roof/bose sound system. I know the invoice for that car is $278xx, msrp $30790. so he ran some numbers and used $29790 as the agreed upon value + additional items in gross cap: $595 - total cap cost reduction = net cap cost $29844. Then he gave me 500 rebate (i told him about the 1k private launch cash and he said he's never heard of it). for leasing, since i'm at tier 2, so the MF is really high, something around 0.003x, 24 month lease, 12k miles and came out to be monthly payment of $589 which is worse than what the previous dealer offered. He then said the previous dealer made a mistake that that offer was for 4 cy (wtf! you think i'm an idiot or what?)

I told him that the car price is way too high, I told him i'd work w/ him if he uses the car price around $28500 and i want to get both private launch cash 1k and 500 rebate, he refused to do it.

I don't think I want to work with this Galpin mazda dealership anymore. They are evils, trying to get every penny they can even when they know that you know the invoice price.
  • live4techlive4tech Member Posts: 24
    A doc fee in the range of ~$500 is insane. $250 is high, but very common. S-Plan still charges the doc fee to Mazda employees, sadly.
    I went to a Mazda Dealer today (Wantagh Mazda in Long Island, NY) and bought a 6 i Touring with Convenience Package under the S Plan

Overall the experience was smooth, the salesman was pretty nice and the test drive went well.

I got the car in black because it looked terrible in comet gray. Some people have posted saying that it looks purple in some conditions and I wholeheartedly agree. Overall, it is NOT a manly color. They had two comet gray 6's on the lot parked on opposite ends. One looked purple and other looked a mixture of purple, blue and gray. I've seen the car at night and it looked much better. Under cloudy and drizzling conditions, the car did not look gray at all.

That's all I have to say for now cause I still don't have the car...delivery should be around Tuesday
    Is the $1000 Private Launch sent through the mail only or is it sent either email or regular mail? From what I can tell, it seems as though Mazda sends the card via regular mail. I just wondered if anyone received it through email. I sent an email to Mazda a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything. I am worried that they may have sent me something via email, as it may have landed in my spam. When I receive spam, I delete it immediately. My wife told me this morning, "The Private Launch may come into your spam." oh oh I sent another email to Mazda and asked for it again stating that Toyota is offering a $1000 cash back. Hopefully, this does the trick. lol tyvm :shades:
    The private launch cash was mailed out randomly via email. To receive it, you had to subscribe to the email alerts well before the car was released. I subscribed a few weeks ago and got nothing. I called Mazda USA to find out if why I hadn't gotten it and they said it was random and that there was no way I could get it now. So, telling Mazda that Toyota is offering $1000 isn't gonna do anything. Firstly, the mailing occurred about a month ago. Secondly, the 6 is a new model which is in pretty high demand...if you try to "threaten" them, the dealer will probably tell you to walk.
    Yeah, "threatening" the dealer is a no win idea, to say the least. tyvm for the information. The best I can hope for is the S-Plan and the local Dealer already informed me that they would go along with it. :shades: