Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• aafilsoofaafilsoof Member Posts: 12
    Spent about 8 hrs at dealer yesterday and this is best figures I came up with. Picking up car on Monday.

Mazda 6 Touring (4 cyl) w/convenience Package in white

Didn't have S plan or anything. Credit was Tier 2 but they got me qualified Tier 1 somehow. How does this sound/]?

MSRP 24985
    Sale Price 21850
    Down 600
    Monthly: 335 Including taxes
    2 year 15k

This was in Orange County CA.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    That's well over $1,000 below invoice. Are you not including any rebates that you took advantage of? If it were a lease, you got a $500 rebate. Did you use the owner loyalty ($1,000) or private lease conus cash ($1,000)?
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Just out of curiosity, what in the world took 8 hours?
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    I'm discussing an offer for an s sport with my dealer that is invoice plus a certain amount, and am using what Edmunds says is the invoice price -- $22,969. my dealer has come back to say that's not accurate, it's actually $23,178, a difference of $209.

Any one know what's the accurate figure here?

Thanks.
  • kapaaiankapaaian Member Posts: 39
    That's the accurate figure (from the dealership). The difference is the assessment fee which is not nationwide, but in certain markets. No, it's not easy to go outside the area as they are usually very wide.
    If you read closely on Edmunds TMV pricing you will see where Edmunds states the following:

"The invoice price does not include any fees that may be charged by the manufacturer to dealers in a particular area of the country, such as local advertising fees, dealer association fees, or docking and storage fees. Edmunds.com does not track or provide such local fees.

If a local fee appears on the invoice, it is an actual cost that the dealer paid to the manufacturer when buying the vehicle. In other cases dealers may choose to write in their own ad fees on the consumer sales contract. However, in either case these local fees are a part of the dealer's cost of doing business."
  • 4rman4rman Member Posts: 30
    Hello everyone, I test drove one last week and here is what my impression was on a scale (1-10);

Handling = 9
    Features = 9
    Fit and Finish = 9
    Looks -font = 9
    Looks -rear = 5
    Engine = 4
    Breaks = 4
    Value = 8

Let me explain the 4's. The Engine revved TOO high (2500 @ 62MPH) as if it was trying too hard. I noticed on one of the testers at the dealership, **excessive** break dust on the front wheels. I like to keep my car clean and on a previous Mazda Tribute 2003, it drove me nuts to have to clean the wheels every week. I know these breaks are suppose to perform better (i.e. BMWs and Benz are using it) but I would rather not have to clean the wheels every week.

All you current (new owners), have you noticed excessive dust from breaks on the front wheels? I really like the car compared to the Accord and Camry SE but before I pull the trigger, I wanted to check a few things out to avoid buyers remorse later.

Thanks
    4rman
    What engine/transmission were you test driving?

When I drove the I4 atx, I was turning 2,500rpm's at 70mph.

About the brake dust, I have a 2005 Mazda6 and have never noticed any excessive brake dust. In fact, with 45,000 on the odo, I have yet to even cut the rotors and have never changed the pads.

SUV's, like the Tribute, typically produce more brake dust. Plus, the Tribute uses Ford brakes.

It is very common that test drive vehicles will have excessive brake dust, especially Mazda's, because the manufacturer wants you to really drive the vehicle, and test out the brakes, hit corners hard because those things show you what Mazda's can do that other manufacturers cars cannot.

If you drive the Accord or Camry as hard as a Mazda, you will see excessive brake dust.
    Thanks aviboy97 for your response.

I tested the I4 with AT. I double checked the gear selector to make sure it was not in manual mode etc. I asked the dealer about it and his response was that most new cars with large bodies and smaller engines rev high. Not the case with our 06 civic ex or the Toyota 4Runner or any of the previous cars I have owned (excluding a 92 Honda Prelude).

My favorite features are the adjustable head lights and the blind spot monitoring system. Just wondering about the break dust because some of the Fords have the same problem.

Thanks
    No problem!

That's very strange. I was turning 2,500 rpm's at 70mph.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    Break[sic] (Brake) Dust issue is easily overcome by switching to ceramic brake pads. and it does not cost an arm and a leg.
    Completely missed the spelling... Fixed it in this heading. Thanks. :shades:

I did think about the ceramic pads but I am not sure the dealer will make it part of the deal. It may impact the warranty. By the way, does anyone know if the engine used in the 09 is a Mazda engine? The dealer told me that it was a Mazda 3 engine bored to 2.5. Thanks.
    Yes, it is a Mazda engine. It shares similar architecture to the 2.3L and has a reworked intake and exhaust system and a few other little changes to make it more fuel efficient and smoother.
    >I did think about the ceramic pads but I am not sure the dealer will make it part of the deal. It may impact the warranty.

Dealer may very well not make it part of the deal.
    However, it does not void the warranty whatsoever if you replace it with matching ceramic brake pads.
    Another loop test. Did a dealer trade between akron and cincinatti today (about 250 miles each way). Mileage averaging 68 mph was 33.1

EPA be damned.
  • smallcarsmallcar Member Posts: 39
    was that a 4 or 6 cyl?
    4 Cyl automatic.
  • ohblueohblue Member Posts: 39
    Anyone know if the Xenon lights can be added as an option to a Touring, w/o out buying the convenience package? Any other suggestions if not? Thanks...
    Nope. Only if you buy an aftermarket Xenon kit. There are plenty out there. I bought the Apexcone DDM ones for my 05.
    To add Xenon lights to a car will cost about 600 dollars (unknown if there are compatible kits yet or not). The cost of the convenience pack is 1400 or so and comes with a lot of neat stuff. for 800 you would get Dual climate zone, auto headlights and 4 positions for the headlights, blind spot monitoring, upgraded interior, welcome lighting, BLUETOOTH and rain sensing wipers. plus the headlight housings and such would be under warranty. For 800 dollars more it's worth it. Also, you may want to try driving the 6 at night first to see if you need the Xenons. Mazda's normal headlights are pretty good and cast a distinct line if that's what your'e going for.
    I purchased mine for $150, and had my techs install them. Plus, they are brighter then Mazda's stock Xenons. Mazda's are 35w 4200K, mine are 35w 5000K.

I am unsure if there are compatible kits out there yet, though.

Personally, I would just get the conv. package. I like all the other features, and it makes it worth it.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    As mentioned before...Blind Spot Monitoring is very addictive: you may not think you need it, but once you have it, you are hooked.
    You can say that about a lot of features. I, for one, think that the keyless ignition is very addictive.
  • minarets2minarets2 Member Posts: 11
    what do the adjustable headlights do? and how do you adjust them? the dealership has to?

and i have never had xenon lights, does this option even make a diference...the adjusting part. lights always light up what they light up for me with ever car i have owned....is it necessary?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    what do the adjustable headlights do? and how do you adjust them? the dealership has to?

The Xenon headlights have a small rotary knob that allows the driver to adjust the height of the beams as they shine down the road. It allows you to adjust the beam height in the case that you have a higher load of cargo/passengers, they allow you to lower the beam height to not blind oncoming drivers.
  • ohblueohblue Member Posts: 39
    Thanks, guys...
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    EPA be damned.

Why? Because you did not get the EPA numbers when you drove the car in a way that differs from the EPA test?
    Malty.....howdy my friend!!!!!! Long time No see
  • arkane8arkane8 Member Posts: 1
    I really want to purchase a Mazda6 i Touring with the convenience package.... I know I can get the S-plan by joining the World Karting Association, but I believe it's too late for me to sign up to get the $1000 private launch coupon.

Do you know if the Private Launch coupon is transferabble? If so, does anyone have an extra one they are willing to sell to me! I am willing to pay $$$$.

If you can, please send me a friend request and leave me a comment! Thanks.
  • sherebashereba Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone...

I'm looking to buy an I-touring with the Convenience and Moonroof/Bose packages very soon.

I have the S-plan, and the breakdown listed on the Ford employee website.

However, I was wondering if the additional $400 S-plan incentive has expired or not, and if anyone knows if that is available in PA.

Thanks in advance.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Hey Chikoo! Still doin what i do, where I do.

Are you looking to get a new 6 or still having fun with the old one?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I think he meant that he got better than the EPA and was remarking about how the Mazda6's "real world" mpg is a lot better than the EPA numbers. I also get better than EPA with my 07 Mazda6 but I can usually do better in most any car if driven right. I don't think Mazda is that unique in beating the current EPA numbers.
    Well. I checked with the dealer and they do not offer/have low dust ceramic brake pads for a car this new. I double checked a few 09 M6s on the lot and the excessive brake dust is definitely a problem for me. Went through it with a Tribute and don't want to go through it again.

I think I am going to go with a 09 Camry SE.

09 M 6 is definitely a beautiful car!!! Thx.
    I am thoroughly enjoying the 6s....to the hilt. Just got a new throttle body, and it purrs like a kitten all the way to 6K. I am running 235/40/18 on them and pushing through turns is pure joy due to the minimal understeer. It is bordering on neutral if you turn hard and quick in the turns, with the tail following like a well obedient slave :).
  • dman24dman24 Member Posts: 11
    Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could post their experience thus far on the mileage on the 6 s (6 cyl). I will probably be getting an 09 Mazda 6 sometime this month. I like the look of it more than the 4 cylinder (nicer rims and also the dual exhaust looks really good) plus it drives really well. The salesman was definitely pushing the 6 on me. "You know you love how this car runs and the boost...." I really didnt need convincing that I liked the power. but he even told me that the mileage was really good with 17 and 25 EPA! Thank you for your responses.
    You put a new throttle body on it already? What was the reason?
  • live4techlive4tech Member Posts: 24
    I'm also interested in hearing what the S-plan rebate will be for October. Does anybody know if it changed or is it still $400? I know it jumps around. In August it was $500, September $400, now October ??? I'm in the Ohio region, if that makes a difference.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks.
  • rupbrerupbre Member Posts: 12
    I now have over 4000 miles on my v6 gt. I'm getting from 25 to 26 mpg. It is 70% highway and 30% city. Usually drive the speed limit or a little over.
  • dman24dman24 Member Posts: 11
    25 or 26 over all? I would definitely go for that, but when I saw 17 and 25 on the EPA on the window that made me doubtful. I love the car. Driving it is so much fun!
  • barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    I can assure u that sticker is on the $ with 17/25 MPG.
    I have s Grand Touring with 1500 miles on it & city is only 17 & highway 25.
    I baby the car & keep RPM's @ or below 2000 so I doubt others are getting better?
    Give it time.

My '04 6 with V6 wasn't getting decent mileage until it was fully broken in (about 4-5K miles). Now I easily exceed the EPA mileage.

Same with the '07 Altima 2.5S that's my wife's DD, the mileage improved greatly after the engine was broken in.
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    I am interested in a straight highway trip going 75-80 mph with little to no city/traffic driving. If 25 is it on the 6 s I will go elsewhere. I get 30-32 on my '06 TL 6 speed and I would not give that up to get 25 in the Mazda 6. Thanks
  • barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    I just came back from NJ from Rochester NY 350 miles each way.
    I got exactly 25 MPG with my s Grand Touring. I hear it should get better?
    >You put a new throttle body on it already? What was the reason?

I was talking about my 2003 Mazda6s.......after 5 years.
    You should not compare your actual mpg on the '06 TL to the figure on the EPA sticker, the EPA highway test is not based on a straight highway trip going 75-80 mph.

I'd go to fueleconomy.gov and do a side-by-side comparison of the '06 TL and the '09 Mazda6 to get an idea of what the difference in mpg would be.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm
    I think he meant that he got better than the EPA and was remarking about how the Mazda6's "real world" mpg

I understood that, my point is that it is silly to criticize the EPA number because you exceeded their highwy figure on freeway cruise, as that is not what the EPA test is designed to mimic. I think any car will beat the EPA highway figure by a similar factor when driven on a freeway cruise at steady speeds.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Everybody has their own list of desirable items a vehicle should have.

But I’m having trouble comprehending passing on a vehicle because of brake dust; especially for a Camry.

Brake dust, for me, would be about the 99th item on a list of 100…maybe the 100th being undesirable valve stem caps…
    Brake dust, for me, would be about the 99th item on a list of 100…maybe the 100th being undesirable valve stem caps…

My 100th is actually which side the gas cap is. :)

Seriously, brake dust IS annoying, but not nearly annoying enough to ditch a car that I really like, let alone for a coma-inducing Camry. There are plenty of excellent products on the market that specifically remove brake dust, some without scrubbing by hand.

Another trick: if your wheels are painted (such as the 6), put a coat or two of car wax on them. They not only help them shine, but it helps in repelling/removing brake dust as well.
  • heybroderheybroder Member Posts: 78
    Agreed totally, ivan :shades:
  • drosadrosa Member Posts: 24
    I took a S-GT for a test drive today. I am coming off an 04 lease. The '09 feels big. It still corners nice but leans a bit more. 18" tires are rough. It has GREAT power and some nice new tech toys. It will be a great family hauler for 5. Silver or Black are best colors. Comet has a DR Jekel - Mr. Hide effect.(It changes colors plays tricks on your eyes).

I am down to a 09 S -GT or a 08 Base Acura TL. The TL felt very similar to my 04 6 with more needed zoom.

09 S-GT
    + Newer, nice looking, feels alot more powerful than '08 TL, more room, new tech toys(push button start, IPOD port, blind spot monitoring, No lean breaking)
    - Feels a little too big, less European tightness that previous gen and more American big car feel, Hate the Tiger Motif shift console, Interior design is ok. First Model Year bugs, $$ fully loaded no Nav is 30K - need to bargin a bit since its's new. No financing deal

08 TL
    + nice combo well rounded, amazing interior just right power and size (2nd car mostly commuter), Fully loaded in Base Model. Great discounts + financing on what is left
    -Last Model Year ('09 on the lot looks a little quirky but superior), no ipod jack, maybe a little tight, small trunk (but this is not the family hauler) no push button start(no biggie - just fun). Not overpowering. Premium fuel

any thoughts?
    I am getting final price on both tomorrow