Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    Have to be done by the dealer. There is a bunch of settings which the dealership will set once, based on your preferences, free of cost and this is one of them.
  • jimmychejimmyche Member Posts: 1
    Hello, for those with Leather steering and leather shift knob.

Does your leather hand brake seems like Plastic?
    Mine from Canada certainly does. The surface finish of the hand brake is totally different than the steering and the shift knob.
    Just wanna make sure that it's not leather before I elevate my concerns onto higher levels.

thanks.
  • charliebrown6charliebrown6 Member Posts: 1
    have a 6i touring and have noticed the same thing. Hand brake isn't leather it's plastic material like on the dash. Still nice interior, though.
  • weathergirlweathergirl Member Posts: 35
    I received a response from Mazda regarding the key replacement program. It is not backed by Mazda, it is a 3rd party offer, good only through the local dealership. Still waiting for more info from the dealership on the details. So, it's probably just another scam. Funny thing is, when I asked how much an extra smartkey would cost, the salesman and the F&I guy gave me two different answers.

Does anyone know how much an extra smartkey costs?
    Thanks!
  • 4rman4rman Member Posts: 30
    Sounds like a dealer scam all right! I can't imagine it is more that $200 max. Key fobs usually are in that price range. Just keep the spare in a very safe place and should be fine.

Congratulations on your new car! I still have not pulled the trigger. What kind of a discount did you end up getting on your i touring? I mean from the sticker price?
    What are you waiting for? :) j/k I'd been car shopping for almost a year. I just couldn't find anything that wowed me until I drove the 6. And which trim level you test drive makes a difference! Make sure you get to drive the exact car you're thinking of buying, with whatever packages you like. I was the first one to test drive my car and I immediately put down a deposit to keep it that way. :)

I got the S Plan through WKA ($55), so that was the price they sold me the car for. Actually, the S-Plan price was about $500- $800 over the invoice shown on Edmunds.com. I thought it sounded high, but it was right there on a printout. I'm assuming that the difference was those extra fees everyone talks about. I think it saved me about $2,000 off the MSRP. Sorry, I don't have the exact numbers in front of me. If you really want an exact figure let me know.

I've heard of other people on here getting online price quotes below invoice. I inquired with 4 different dealers in Chicagoland and none of them offered a price below MSRP, let alone invoice. So, for me, the best deal was with the S-Plan. Perhaps you'll find a better deal in your area. I highly recommend getting online price quotes. It's quick and painless. They will still match you up with a salesman on the floor for test drives and things. Just so you know. I wish you luck! Let us know when you make your purchase!

I like to think I got a good deal. Mine has one of those auto-dimming mirrors with the compass. I didn't want to pay extra for it, so I told the guy that I didn't want the mirror and I really didn't like it. I spent alot of time walking around the car that morning and discussing it with my boyfriend. (I used him alot for distracting salesmen and moral support). Since that was the only thing slowing me down, the salesman eventually deducted it from the price of the car, making it free. As it turns out, I don't mind the mirror so much, but I still wouldn't pay the extra $200 for it.

Good Luck!
  • b0nzaib0nzai Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a new sports sedan. I like the size and the look of the new 6. For those of you who have the 4 cylinder does that feel powerful to you? Do you feel like you get the "Zoom zoom" in a 4 cylinder. I like sports sedans because they seem more useful than coupes, but I want my car to be fun to drive as well. What are your impressions of this car?
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,874
    Did you say the instructions for accessory installation is on the Mazda website? I looked but only found the parts, not instructions.

I meant the instructions that come with the net. I should have been more explicit. Sorry. It's easy - just hard (mentally) to drill that first hole bigger. :surprise:

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

Thanks you very much for your detailed response. I wanted to test drive a few other models from other car companies. And I did. The interior of the 6 is the best in class. I really like and want this car except two things keep holding me back; Excessive brake dust and high revving engine at normal cruising speeds (Don't mean to sounds negative about your new ride...)

See I have a 05 Toyota 4Runner that drives like a dream :D . But it just came out of warranty and would like a little better MPG.

Did you trade-in a car towards your new i6? Based on the last offer from the dealer, I'll get about 3.5K off the sticker but I have to buy it by the 31st. The model is an i touring with the same pkgs. as yours. I would like one in silver, grey or red. I am in MN and winter is coming so may be that's why a larger discount is available.
  • jsanders3jsanders3 Member Posts: 2
    The online price quotes are the way to go. I was able to get the i grand touring w/ bose moonroof and door sill lights for 25800 - 1000 private bonus = 24800. They actually offered 25650 for i grand touring bose/moonroof but they didnt have the car with these exact features in black.

All I did was email all of my local dealerships (st louis, mo) until dealers would no longer go any lower on price.

I couldnt be happier with the car so far. Not the best MPG with average 22 mpg but really the car only has 150 miles on it so far. i am sure this will only get better. Bluetooth is great. People dont even know that I am using it instead of being directly on my blackberry.
  • chriso7chriso7 Member Posts: 34
    Hi Jsanders3,

Sounds like you got a great deal! Congrats on your purchase. :shades:

Were those OTD prices?
    Did you make your purchase on Halloween or did you wait to see if they'll extend their offer? I totally forgot that I did get the $400 rebate for using the S-Plan (grudgingly). I also had an 02 Dodge Stratus Coupe with 148,000 miles on it that I traded in. I loved that car! Never had a problem with it ever (except for the paint)!

The MSRP on the Black 6 i Touring with Conv. and Moon/Bose packages was over $26k, I believe, and S-Plan price on mine was $24,715. Minus another $400 for the rebate and the invoice price of the auto dimming mirror ($160). With TTL and doc fees, the out the door price was $26,164. When I was with the F&I guy, he said that since I'd put down cash on the car, I had 1 month to decide if I wanted the extra warranties and stuff. No pressure at all. I'm not sure if there's a limit to put down to get that option, but it was nice to not be bullied.

I haven't noticed any brake dust build up yet (it's only been a week). I don't drive like granny, but I'm still taking it easy. Gotta be careful in this Chicago traffic!

I got to use the bluetooth today and it was really neat! The caller ID displayed as the actual number, not the name in the phonebook. Anyone know if it can be changed to display the name instead of the number?

Good luck!
    I just got my package from Mazdagear.com. I ordered the splash guards, touch up paint, and zoom-zoom lanyard on Monday (10/27). It was delivered on Thursday with no problems at all.

Good luck on your purchase!
  • xyz123xyz123 Member Posts: 18
    Hi everyone. I'd like to thank everyone who has taken part in this forum. Because of all of you I received insight that helped greatly in my car buying decision.

I just picked up my Mazda6 S GT, and am pleased with the choice. Again, because of the members of the forum I was able to take advantage of the S-plan, the $400 S-plan rebate, and the $1000 Private Launch Bonus (which was applied for and received post launch). *Signing up for the Mazda updates costs nothing, and will make you eligible for e-mailed coupons for potential future incentives.

In this category of automobile, there are many competitive and deserving choices; The Camry SE V6 is silky smooth, a supreme cruiser, and especially powerful for a mid-priced family sedan. Miraculously, there is almost no compromise with the power and fuel efficiency. The Toyta V6 drivetrain provides great acceleration, smoothness, and relatively miserly gas mileage. But the ride benefits cost the Camry in the way of handling and perceived stability. The peculiar lineup for the options packages are also a bit off-putting. And the interior was bland with a mixture of very solid fixtures amongst flimsy ones.

The Accord EX-L V6 is the best value, in terms of features for asking price. The ride and handling balance was pleasingly calibrated, and the quality of construction, if not materials, was best according to initial personal perception. However, the VCM V6 didn't feel as though it had the power that its displacement and horsepower ratings would suggest. And with VCM and lower responsiveness, the hope for better fuel economy wasn't met.

Nissan's Altima SE V6 had a ride that was a bit too stiff, without a commensurate benefit in handling. And the interior, though made of good materials and seemingly good construction, had an "injection molded" design that looked less than mature in comparison with the others. The engine sounded nice at first, but had a coarse quality that could be pleasing and energizing to some, but may feel unrefined to others.

But, already being the owner of a Mazda Millenia S, I was biased toward the brand. And a personal preferrence for the styling and handling of the S GT tipped the scales. The car seems no better than the other "big three" Japanese sedan offerings, overall; better in some categories, worse in others. Mostly, the Mazda was just more appealing to personal taste. Plus, with the incentives and S-Plan, the value was pretty good.

These observations are just echos of what others here have written before me. It's necessary to try everything out in person. But, seeing how informative and accurate some of the posters have been was great.

If possible, I'd like to return some of the favors in the forum.

Weathergirl, I was informed that I could purchase a warranty extension before the first 3/36,000 was up. The finance manager suggested that it be purchased a couple of months and/or a couple thousand miles before it actually expired. You do forfeit the feature that refunds your payment in the case that nothing happens during your warranty extention period. But, at my dealership (Chicagoland area) it was an option to be had at almost anytime within the original warranty coverage.
    Congrats on your new car! Thank you for the clarification :) I LOVE the look of the dual exhaust on the S, but couldn't swallow the lower mpgs. What color did you get? I'll keep an eye out for you!
  • ohblueohblue Member Posts: 39
    I had the dealer throw in the winter mats, but I'm not sure I'd have bought them after seeing them. The treads (for lack of a better term) are not that deep. Thus, if you live in a snowy area, as I do, the melted snow may overflow the grooves and end up on the floorboard (to be determined). I suspect they'd be fine for cars in the the south, but I've seem better ones (for cheaper?) that would probably do a better job. They do look pretty nice, though. I'll report back when appropriate...hopefully the snow holds off as long as possible.
    "For those who have an 09 Mazda 6, have you seen anyone else driving one in your city/neighborhood (besides yourself)?"

I bought my black '09 Mazda6 i last Friday. Last night I saw another black 6 (s, I think) 3 blocks from my house. :)
    Sounds like you are really enjoying your new car!!! I called the dealer on Friday but they were closing early so could not make it over there. He did not say if he will extend the offer into the next month.

I have been looking for one on the streets but have not spotted one yet. What kind of millage are you getting so far? Since it has a stereo bluetooth, you should be able to sync up a MP3 player with it (of course the device has to transmit in BT).

This is a great forum. I enjoyed the xyz123's commentary. I think he is right on the money with his analysis of the other brands.
  • runningdocrunningdoc Member Posts: 32
    I wanted to take a moment to ask if anyone had done a side by side comparison of the Mazda 6i Touring vs. the Honda EX. I am considering both, and have come up with some observations and wondered if anyone else had done similar, and what their experience is/was. The following are things I have reviewed:

1) Engine - the Honda has a 2.4 V4, rated at 190 HP; the Mazda 2.5 V4 at 170 HP. The Honda engine is clearly reliable, being used a great deal over the years. Does anyone know if the Mazda engine is new, or an engine that has a track record of success in other vehicles?

2) Price - amazingly close. To pick up a Mazda 6i Touring with SList, one is looking at 20895 Invoice, plus sunroof at 1408 invoice, plus various fees (transport, local assessment) which in my area add 900.00. Final total just about $23K (give or take a little). Looking at the Honda, 22744 Invoice, about 500 for gos, and similar for transpo and fees, gives one about $23500 - a difference of $500 or so.

3) Economy - similar; EPA estimates are almost identical.

4) Financing - Honda is offering 0.9% for 36 months, 1.9% for up to 60 months, Mazda 3.9%.

5) Crash Safety - in the four door, NHTSA gives the edge to the Mazda, giving it five stars in all areas. The Honda appears to be weak in the back seat side impact only getting 3 stars.

6) Reliability and Resale - Honda regularly, regardless of which source one reviews, comes out on top. See Consumer's Reports latest reviews.

Please take this as someone doing research and trying to consider all factors, who would be interested in others opinions of things that I am missing. In advance, I thank you for your help!
  • heybroderheybroder Member Posts: 78
    Can anyone tell me if Mazda will continue the Private Launch Bonus into Nomember? I received it in October hoping that I'd have the cash. However, I will be obtaining the cash to buy, in a week or two. The email statement I received said that it expired October 31. I'm hoping they will still honor it. tyvm :shades:
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    1) Engine - the Honda has a 2.4 V4, rated at 190 HP; the Mazda 2.5 V4 at 170 HP. The Honda engine is clearly reliable, being used a great deal over the years. Does anyone know if the Mazda engine is new, or an engine that has a track record of success in other vehicles?

One minor correction: both engines are I-4s, not V4s. :)

The 2.5L 4-cyl is basically a newer version of the Mazda MZR 4-cylinder class, which has basically been around in one form or another since 1995. It's been used extensively in most of Mazda's overseas markets, as well as in the Mazda3, Mazda5, the MX-5 Miata, and previous-gen Mazda6. In fact, Ford dropped their 4-cyl Zetec cylinders in 2004 and has used the MZR design ever since. The DISI turbocharged version used in the MazdaSpeed 3 and 6, as well as the CX-7, has been rated one of the Ward's 10 best engines for the past three years straight.

Having said that, I haven't heard of any major issues or recalls that the 4-cyl has had, and owners I've heard have nothing but praise for the 4-cyl as well.
    Just a heads-up. When I spoke to my dealer initially, I told them I thought I was S Plan, but wasn't sure, and he told me if I wasn't (I was), they'd still give it to me for S Plan, less the $400 rebate. Give it a shot.

Make sure you test drive both. The seats are known to be uncomfortable to some in the Accord (there's a thread over on the Accord forum). I tested 3 Accords in one day and each hurt my (previously injured) back (then I found the Edmund's thread). No problems w/ the 6. I do like the pattern of the cloth seating in the EX better than the Zebra pattern in the 6, but if you get the convenience package, you get lots of leather in the 6.

I think the 6's manual is WAY better than the Honda's. The handling and quietness are better in the 6 as well. I think the Mazda has a little more pickup in standing starts, even though it's 20 hp less. I can't stand the center stack in the Accord, either. I was shocked..40+ buttons? If you are getting the moonroof, you'll get the upgraded stereo, which is much better than the one in the Accord. The keyless features are pretty cool/convenient.

You are right though, Honda's are pretty much bulletproof. We have a 5 year old Pilot w/ not one problem. I have about 500 miles on my 6i roof/stereo/conv. package and I have NO regrets. My wife smiles every time she drives it. We went through a Taco Bell drive-thru Friday night and the girl told my wife, "Cool car! What kind is it?" :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Re crash safety, the Accord is one of a very few mid-sized family sedans (2009 Fusion/Milan with optional ESC, Legacy, and Passat being the others) that is an IIHS Top Safety Pick. In order to get that distinction, the car has to score "Good" on frontal offset, side, and headrest (simulated rear impact) tests and offer ESC as at least a widely-available option. The IIHS' frontal and side tests are more severe than the NHTSA's tests and the side impact test accounts for head injury, which the NHTSA's "star" scoring system does not. So if I were you I would not discount the Accord for crash safety just because it got 3 stars in the back seat on the NHTSA's test--but it is very surprising given its "Good" score on the tougher IIHS side impact test. :surprise:
  • darkmanrob85darkmanrob85 Member Posts: 30
    My OTD Price:

2009 Mazda 6 s Touring

$25,700
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    runningdoc-

The Honda Accord EX 2.4L is a wonderful car in many areas. The 2.4L 190hp engine on paper looks impressive, in reality it's not as quick as Mazda's 2.5L with 170hp in the Mazda6, according to Motor Trend. They observed a 0-60 time of 8.2 sec in the Accord, and a time of 7.8 sec in the Mazda6. Remember, with VTEC, the power is at the top of the RPM range. They are not really balanced for optimal power delivery in a broad power band. They are usually tuned for fuel economy.

Currently, I would give the edge in resale to the Accord. You need to ask yourself how long you intend to own your new car. Are you looking to own it past 100,000 miles? If so, they are virtually worthless after then anyway.

Where the Mazda6 will have an advantage is in the drive. It will handle better, brake better, and have a more precise steering feel. The interior is also more user friendly then the Accord. The Mazda6 has a driver focused cockpit, and the Accord is a cluster of confusing buttons.

As greyghost said, the Mazda 2.5L is from the MZR engine family which has been around for quite some time. As an owner of a Mazda6 with the MZR 2.3L, I have nothing but great things to say about it. Mazda sure does know how to build an engine. I will say that Mazda did make many improvements to the MZR motor in refinement and fuel economy. The 2.5L is a very smooth, and free revving engine. I don't see much of a difference in smoothness from Mazdas 2.5L to Hondas 2.4L
    Weathergirl, thank you very much! The car looks very sharp, and the dual exhausts give it a tiny bit of extra visual snap. You're right about the mpg's... if you're looking to be genuinely frugal, forget the V6 and go for the I4. In the one day I've had it, I've driven 130 miles and the gas mileage is looking less than impressive. Hopefully things will improve appreciably after break in. It's black on black. How about yours? Honk if you see me.

Runningdoc. The 2.5 in the Mazda6 is not completely new. It is a bored out version of the 2.3 used across the line in late model Mazdas. The 2.3 on which the 2.5 is based is very reliable. You could say that the engine on which the 2.5 is based is as reliable as the Honda's engine. The chances are good that the bored out version will also be reliable, but that's still minor speculation. The I4 Mazda felt better off the line, but the 190 hp version of the Honda I4 felt like it had more power from mid range and up.

Purchase price is very close between the two vehicles, which definitely makes it tough to decide between two great cars. There is no competition in resale value. The Honda will win, barring any unusual occurrences. The only way the Mazda could meet or beat the Honda in resale is if the current Accord had some production catastrophes that caused it to drop steeply in reliability while the Mazda concurrently proved to be one of the two or three most reliable vehicles in its category... or something like that. It's unlikely that Honda will be knocked off its high resale value perch.

3.9% for Mazda is over, as of the 31st. The rate is supposed to be 5.9% now. It may change again in the future to help spike sales. 0.9% is amazing, if you can manage to pay it off in 36 mos. 1.9% is also great for up to 60 mos. You'll save quite a bit of money over the 5.9% (or even the 3.9%), especially if you do not choose to prepay.

You have a very tough decision.

Heybroder, the Private Launch Bonus which expires on the 31st won't be usuable in a week or two. A few days after might be possible, but longer than that would be very hard to manage. The coupons have to be submitted in a timely manner for reimbursement, with the appropriate signatures and paperwork (from sale) for it to be deemed legitimate and eligible.
  • runningdocrunningdoc Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the correction and the information! I appreciate it!
    ohblue-
    Thank you very much for your review! I had been checking out the winter mats online. I wondered if they would be able to handle the snow, and you've answered that question perfectly! Thanks again!

I saw a red mazda 6 in September, but have not seen it or any other since then. Kinda cool, huh? :)

I caught a guy who'd just parked his corvette checking out my new 6i in a parking lot today. :blush:
    xyz123-

I also got the black on black. I love the zebra stripes on the combo seats and dash :) I haven't had to stop at the gas station yet (woohoo!), so I haven't figured the mpgs. I know the computer will show it, but I'd like to double check its accuracy. Hopefully yours will get better!
    Yep, I suspect the "all weather mats" are truly "3 season mats." ;)
    Hi RunningDoc,

I had been settled on getting a 2008 or 2009 Accord 4cyl since I heard about all the details of the redesign. As Backy replied the Accord has proven safety as shown by the IIHS tests in all categories. The Accord also has something called the ACE body structure. This helps level the playing field if you had a front crash with a vehicle weighing more. All IIHS Front test results are only valid for an equal or similar weight vehicle involved in the accident. I believe it will help after researching the design, however there are no tests to quantify the magnitude of enhanced protection. The Mazda IIHS complete test results should done by January.

One thing that bothered me, a small thing while test driving the Accord was the lack of padding on the armrest of the driver's door. My elbow actually hurt after taking an extended drive. The Mazda's is not as padded as an Altima, however it was not uncomfortable and has a solid piece underneath. The Accord seemed to have two support pieces underneath and gaps between them.

The main thing that deterred me from buying the Accord that I had long been waiting on was the City MPG (I drive 85% city). Even though it is rated at 21mpg city several owners, many who had been Honda Accord owners mutlipe times and professional reviewers noted the car did not achieve the good mileage it had been known for in past years. Consumer Reports has a city simulation that is more demanding than the EPA tests. It was interesting to see that the 4cyl Accord scored a 15mpg city, the same as the 6cyl Accord! The Altima received 18mpg City in their tests. During my extended test drive of the 6i, I found the computer calculation of mileage to be within 0.2 mpg of actual and achieved 22mpg City.

Good luck on your decision.
  • lpmillerlpmiller Member Posts: 27
    i suspect how you feel about it depends on what you are driving now. I came from a Forrester, so I think it's plenty fast with a decent kick. If you drive something sporty now, I dunno.

It's zero to 60 is around 8 seconds, and feels plenty fast to me. I will say the older 6's seem to have a touch more 'zoom zoom' to them, but the new one is very well behaved, and kicks in when I need it to. Passing speed kicks in nicely.

I've had my i Touring for about 2 months now, and I love it.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    2nd tank, drove all city driving, including lots of stop and go traffic commuting to work.
    Mileage: Exactly 25.56 miles per gallon
    Comparatively my wife's Acura TSX with the 2.4L Honda engine is getting 21.38 miles per gallon in mixed city/hwy (70%HWY, 30% CTY).
    So yes, comparatively the Honda's 2.4 seems much worse in fuel economy than the Mazda's 2.5.
    2nd tank, drove all city driving, including lots of stop and go traffic commuting to work.Mileage: Exactly 25.56 miles per gallon

That's damn good. I manage to get around 22-23 city in my 2.3L after 46,000 miles.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Driving habits will drastically affect city driving mpg performance. If he and his wife switched cars for a month it could be the other way around. I'm not saying it would be....just could be. Maybe she's a closet Mario Andretti or something.
  • b0nzaib0nzai Member Posts: 2
    I live in New England and have asked different people about how cars manage in snow. I know the new Mazda 6 has the "stability control" and other features that help out in winter conditions. Some people swear by snow tires, others say "oh the 'all weather' tires that come on the car are adequate. For those of you who have and use snow tires, do they help out considerably? If so, what kind are a good choice to invest in?
    I also live in New England and I have all-season tires (OEM) on my 2005 Mazda6 and I do just fine. However, many of my customers do buy Bridgestone Blizzak's. Those are a pretty damn good snow tire.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,874
    Some people swear by snow tires, others say "oh the 'all weather' tires that come on the car are adequate. For those of you who have and use snow tires, do they help out considerably? If so, what kind are a good choice to invest in?

I just traded a BMW in for a Mazda 6s GT. I drove the BMW in snow with the standard all season tires for a few weeks before I put a set of Michelin X-ice on the car. The difference was day & night. The winter tires are far superior - not only in starting traction, but also in handling and stopping. The BMW also had stability control and traction control.

I am going to wait for the first snow to see how the Mazda does, but I am expecting I will be on tirerack.com ordering up a set of winter tires and wheels.

A good choice? I put Blizzaks on the wife's Forester in the winter and she can go anywhere.

As I said, I had the X-ice on the BMW and they were also great in the snow when new - not so much the third winter. One thing I can tell you about the Michelins - in warm weather, in the rain, it's like driving on ice. :surprise:

As far as cost - If you use winter tires your all-seasons are going to last longer and when you sell the car you can also sell the winter tires, if still good, and you can also sell the extra wheels.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

Hi b0nzai. Winter tires make a very noticeable difference. All-season tires make compromises in almost every category, but in return they offer versatility no other type of tire can match. Not everyone is willing or capable of spending the money on two or three sets of tires for optimal traction and perfomance the whole year round. So, all-season tires are a near perfect solution. Adequate in light snow, and hopefully okay in anything heavier.

However, in New England, winter tires may be well worth the price. Even in Chicago where winter isn't as lengthy, though it's occassionally just as severe, it's a reasonable investment. You'll probably encounter enough unplowed roadways to justify the expense.

Stability control and traction control primarily serve to keep drivers safely within their traction limits. Traction control will not allow you to accelerate any faster than if you had modulated your throttle skillfully. Stability control will not alter physics to keep you from oversteering, etc., but will keep you from getting too close to your chasis' limits. Winter tires raise those limits, providing a wider envelope of ability and thus potential safety. You will notice more traction accelerating, more roadholding in turns, and more grip in braking. It won't transform your car into a studded tired Subaru, but you'll feel a difference nonetheless.

Bridgestone Blizzaks are the most famous of the road worthy winter tires, and are still near the top of the class. But, Michelin's X-Ice tires are garnering even better reviews, including a recent one done by the Tire Rack. If you're really serious about driving in snow and ice, look into snow tires and studded tires!
    May I ask how the V6 drivers are doing on gas mileage?

Admittedly, I drive somewhat aggressively. On top of that I only have 250 miles. The trip computer claims 18.9 for the 2/3 highway 1/3 city driven thus far. Fuel pump comparison to come.

I4 drivers seem to be doing quite well. Congratulations!
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    i would look at nokians for winter tires. i have them for four years now and never ever rregretted it.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >18.9 for the 2/3 highway 1/3 city driven thus far.

my 3.0L v6 (2003) did the same in the first year.
    5 years later, I have consistently got 23.5 -24.5mpg since the last 4 years.....
    Wow, 23.5 to 24.5 for mixed driving is really good for a V6. Do you drive conservatively? I can see how the first year could be lower with fuel efficiency. But, it's great that your mileage is doing well even five years in.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I had an old fashioned pushrod V6, 3.8L in a Buick LaSabre that consistently year after year got average of 24-25 mpg. Used to get 30-31 on long trips. When it got old at about 12 years the mpg dropped down to 23-24 mpg average. V6s used to get that kind of mpg routinely until they started to up the hp to over 250 and added a lot of weight to the cars.

The 09 Mazda6 V6 at 272 hp could have been geared a little higher to enhance mpg but they wanted the zoom-zoom instead. I think if they were more competitive on with the other V6s in midsizers they would sell a lot more of them. When someone sees a Hyundai V6 sticker at 29 mpg EPA hwy and then a Mazda at 25 mpg, it really sticks out.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    When someone sees a Hyundai V6 sticker at 29 mpg EPA hwy and then a Mazda at 25 mpg, it really sticks out.

Perhaps…but that is just the sticker. I can get easily 28mpg (straight highway) in my 4.5L V8 (high hp); under the new ranking it’s 16/23 mpg.

Many years ago I had trouble breaking 26mpg (mixed) in a civic; I needed to red-line it all day because of the low hp…it didn’t have the oomph I desired.

If one vehicle requires full (3/4) throttle all day for a similar driving experience then I doubt you’d be achieving EPA numbers.

I’m placing less and less confidence in EPA; although I supposed its one of the only ways to try and compare mileage between different automobiles.
    I just picked mine up a few days ago. It had ~ 250 miles due to a dealer transfer. Does anyone know the best way to break the engine in?

I have searched a little here and found that the factory oil should be left in for 5000 miles and I should vary my speed somewhat. I also read during the first 20 miles or so one should floor it, then go easy I think for the cylinders (that is of course not possible on mine).

I really don't know what to do but would like to make sure I maximize the mileage the best I can. :confuse:

Can anyone help me?

Thank you
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    This is how I know it should be done.
    For the first 1000 miles
    1. Vary your speed. In other words do not use cruise control or stay at the same speed.
    2. Do not go above 60 mph.
    3. This means city style driving with frequent acceleration and deceleration is the best way to go.
    4. If you drive on the open hwy outside of rush hour, make sure to vary your speed.
    5. I would do the first oil change at around 3000 miles. Also watch the oil level during this period.'
    I do not think Flooring it is a good idea at any time :)
    Mazda recommends a break in period of 500 miles.

Drive at variable speeds and try to avoid constant speeds for long durations. Going over 60mph is ok.

Avoid extreme braking at highway speeds.

Avoid WOT from stop.

No break in oil needed.

First oil change at 3,000 miles.

Every other oil change at between 3,000-5,000
    That's it.
    I thought I was told by the dealer that oil changes were every 7,500? I guess I'll have to get the book out.

In any case, I was told years ago by a Toyota mechanic that the best thing you could do is change your oil after 1,000 miles, then after another 2,000, then whatever the manufacture recommends. I've did it for my last 3 cars and I'll be doing for this car as well.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >Wow, 23.5 to 24.5 for mixed driving is really good for a V6. Do you drive conservatively?

Conservatively???

Ha!....If I wanted to do that I would have purchased a Camry.....