Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Is it because it has not yet been tested by the Insurance companies for collision ratings? Or do they know something we don't?

Simple economics. Your 4Runner has been around for a few years. Parts are easy to come by at a decent price. The '09 6 is brand-new, and although some parts are carry-over from the 1st gen, the body shell and structural/chassis parts are not. Fewer parts = more expensive to fix (or in other words, insure.)

Mazda parts have always seemed to be a few $$$ more than comparable automakers as well, since production numbers don't even approach Honda/Toyotas.
  • 4rman4rman Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for your responses. I am sure replacement parts availability has something to do with the insurance costs being higher... to clarify, I was comparing the quoted rate for the i6 with the 4Runner when it was brand new and not my current rate.

This is a great forum. Love reading others experiences and advice. Thanks!
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    When I picked up my 6s the salesperson said she would schedule the 30 day inspection for me if I decided to have it serviced there. I declined because I wasn't sure where I was going to take it.

It's now been 30 days and I'm going to get the oil service done next week.

The comment about the "30 day inspection" has me wondering. Is that something Mazda recommends or is it a dealer thing? I don't see anything in the Owners Manual or Warranty Information booklet about a 30 day inspection. :shades:

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

I would bet if you traded your 2008 Rolls Royce for a Yugo they would increase your rates. An exaggeration to prove a point. ;)

Why? Because they can.

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Most Mazda dealers are a "Full Circle Service" dealer, meaning every time your car is there for routine maintenance, they will do an inspection on your car for brake wear, tire wear, air filter, wiper blades, battery charge and many many other things. Then they will hand you a copy of the report. It has a bunch of red, yellow and green boxes on it that state the condition of your Mazda. I'm pretty sure that is what he meant.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I owned a 1988 Mazda MX-6 that required a driver seat frame after 9 months of ownership. I caused the failure by reaching for my wallet at a toll booth and stretching back against the seat back so hard that I fractured the seat frame. When I brought it in for replacement (at no charge) the dealer delivered the car back to me at the end of the day with a new muffler and a new alternator belt. Also no charge for either. The Service manager said that the muffler had a little rusted area on it and the alternator belt was making a whining sound. I was really impressed with their thorough service... I had never experienced such dealer care with any other car I have ever bought other than a used Mercedes with the Starmark warranty where they have replaced batteries, etc. because they tested them and found they were getting weak..

10 days ago, I picked up a 2009 Mazda6 i GT, AT, black with beige interior, 6 CD changer, but no sunroof ( I'm too tall for it) and no navigation (I'll get a Magellan or Garmin for Christmas). So far I'm really happy with it but in another week or so I'll submit a mini review..
    Zoom, Zoom........
    :):):)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Did you buy it from the same dealership you serviced your MX-6 at?

I'm looking forward to hearing how you like your new 6!
  • xyz123xyz123 Member Posts: 18
    It seems I can't keep my foot off the accelerator. The first tank was about 19 mpg combined 70(city)/30(hwy). The second one was mid 18's for 60/40. It's definitely capable of more, but the quick acceleration is fun!

It was known from the beginning that the refinement of the engine would never approach that of the Toyota 3.5. Still, there's a very slightly rough rumble from the engine when cruising in the mid/high 1000's. Is this being experience by any other S drivers?

Hopefully Weathertech will have winter mats for the 6 soon. I bought them for a 2008 Toyota Avalon, and they fit perfectly.
    Still, there's a very slightly rough rumble from the engine when cruising in the mid/high 1000's. Is this being experience by any other S drivers?

I haven't noticed that, but I'll listen for it and let you know.

I assume you mean between, say, 1500 and 1900 RPM more or less?

She specifically said "the 30 day inspection". Not as related to any other service. It must just be that dealer.

• drosadrosa Member Posts: 24
    I have had my S Touring for 2 weeks ~500 miles and I am feeling some Roughness and harshness at crusing speed. It definately feels unrefined. I am going to take it into service to evalute. I also have a hum coming from underneath when the car is in nuetral in the garage. I hope these are not sign of things to come. My '04 S was rock solid and quiet. It is really bothering me to the point that i am rethinking not going for the '08 Acura TL I was comparing the 6 S to.
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    barry626,

Do you know if the splash guards you got from mazdagear are the same type as the ones sold by the dealer? The dealer is quoting much higher for these. I would expect the dealer cost would be in general higher but this one is like 70% more ...
  • trinitywolftrinitywolf Member Posts: 8
    I am getting less than a 20 mpg avg with the 4 cylinder??? Yes I romp on it some but this is dismal. :(

However I do not have even a thousand miles on the iGT.

IF I had of known it was going to be that bad I would have gotten the S with the 6 cylinder.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    So far my I4 mazda GT has been problem free. However, there are 2 behavioral quirks that I noticed, and maybe someone can shed some insight on a workaround or solution, or is it just the way it is.
    1. When accelerating on the freeway and after reaching standard cruising speed of 60mph, the RPM is at 2,500, however if you let go of the gas slightly it drops back to 2,100 and stays there. It does not seem that it is because the transmission needs to shift one more gear, because I tried it with the manumatic and it behaves the same. The car is actually in fifth gear. Unless you keep accelerating to 70 mph, the RPM does not drop down by itself without letting go of the gad pedal slightly. At 70mph it is at 2,500 which is reasonable for a 4 cylinder. But at 60mph why does it stay at 2,500 if I do not let go slightly of the gas? Does it think I am still accelerating? I think it maybe, because it seems very responsive to input from gas pedal. Almost instantaneous.
    2. Second issue is related to steering and road feel. I drove yesterday on an older road with a lot of uneven areas on the surface (not potholes or straight bumps) but simply a surface which is not flat but has some small bumps and dips in uneven places, and the car felt like someone else is holding the steering and turning it. Almost like it is possessed. I had to hold the steering tightly to make sure the car keeps on going straight. I thought it must be the DSC, so on the way back I tuned DSC off, but it does not help, once I got to that bad area of the road, the steering started turning left and right by itself, as if it is tracking the exact surface of the road. Way too much road feel, and felt kinda dangerous.

Any ideas?
  • barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    Yes they are exact ones you would get from the dealer!
    I know they are big time cheaper very reason I got them.
    Don't know if u have 4 or 6 engine? be sure to select according for the rears.
  • ohblueohblue Member Posts: 39
    Just to answer my own question and give everyone a heads-up, I took it in for my 1000 mile oil change and told them about the smell. Turns out it they had to "replace improperly installed hole plug on back of transmission - was leaking gear oil due to o-ring torn."

Consequently, they gave me an '08 Audi A4 loaner for a couple days. Lets just say I'm happy to have my 6 back and hope/expect to not have to take it back again.
    I've had my s GT for a month and 1200 miles now and I don't have any roughness and/or harshness at cruising speeds - or maybe I just don't notice it. I'm a little unrefined so maybe that's why. ;) I traded a BMW on this Mazda and have to say that I am very satisfied with the Mazda.

No hum either. Maybe it's something loose underneath and it's vibrating.

These things will drive you crazy if you let them.

• runningdocrunningdoc Member Posts: 32
    Thanks barry! You said it was easy to place the flaps - I assume you did both front and rear flaps? Lastly, did you or anyone else consider the front mask for the Mazda 6, and if you did, how was the experience putting it on?

Many thanks for all your constructive and helpful information sharing. We just purchased a Mazda 6, 6i, in Red with the convenience package. Got it at invoice thru SLIST and 0% financing to boot... not a bad day :) Willl be picking up the car Monday!

:)
  • barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    Your very welcome!
    Not a clue & had no interest in a bra.

Best of luck with your new ride!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I had the pleasure of taking out a s GT and an i GT (6 spd).

I took the s GT first and was taken by the looks...really is a beautiful automobile. The interior had the all dark look; not my favorite but definitely well done and more pleasing than Altima and Accord. A huge back seat too...more room that I really need.

Once underway I noticed that the steering felt a little too light, but the road feel and response was there...just wanted more heft to it. The surprising part was the power. My current auto has much more power but weighs more and is muted. The s easily broke the front tires and I even squealed into 2nd (manual mode). I was also able to break them loose in 1st once underway...say driving at 4K rpm --20mph then gunning it

Not to give the impression that I drive this way all the time...or condone it, but it was just a lot of fun :) Last time I drove a car that broke the tires loose like that it was in a late 60's Challenger; and we spent $40 in gas for a couple hours of cruise time (and probably much more $'s for tires).

The disappointing thing was the handling. Too much body roll and a too heavy front end. I took the car through an area here with very winding roads and elevation changes. I would say it was better than the Altima and on par with an Accord coupe (4cyl) I drove. Wasn't 'bad' but I was expecting a 'wow'.

The i GT manual resulted in mixed emotions...I LOVED the 6spd but the power felt lacking (It could have been the perspective of first driving the V6 beast). The throws were about perfect, the shifter was the right size, the gear ratios were perfect. The clutch was a little light (who needs a hydraulic clutch anyway) but most are to me; the take up was nice and high on the pedal so after about 10 mins I was shifting perfectly with a tap to the clutch and a quick throw of the wrist.

I enjoyed the handling better than the V6 and achieved better 'times' on the little road course I set up for my self (public roads of course). If the i 6spd had 50 more hp...or 300 or so less lbs it would have been an easy choice between the two.
    Thanks barry626,

Mine is a 6-cyl. BTW, I stumbled upon mazdaparts.org - they had the exact pricing but had free shipping for > $100 (mazdagear's shipping for what I wanted was around $30). I've ordered my all weather mats, splash guards and touchup paint from mazdaparts. Hope I get them soon in proper shape.
    I have 3K miles on mine and I haven't felt the car to be unrefined though the engine is definitely slightly on the rougher side under hard acceleration. I don't get the hum in neutral but there is a noise that comes in idle (this comes on and goes off) and I had already contacted the dealer and even Mazda about this. They know what this problem is and is not isolated to my car alone (I checked out another car and it too had the same issue) and they claim that they are working on to fix this. The road noise on some surfaces is also higher as I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts. But all these don't bother me much - I would think any car I buy would have some annoyances like this.
    Today I had gone for a long drive and loved the way the car drives. It feels planted, stable and quite fun to drive for a large family sedan. Even under heavy rains today I was impressed at how easy it was to drive it and to point the car to where you wanted it to go.
    Venture and Drosa - Maybe it has a bit to do with sensitivity, as I am may be overly aware of every sensation. Even during the test drive, a relative lack of refinement was noticed, but comfortably tolerable. Compared to the Toyota 3.5, and to a lesser extent the Honda 3.5, the Mazda 3.7 doesn't feel as smooth, refined, or quiet. Historically speaking, that's to be expected. After putting 800+ miles on the car, I'm just more familiar with the harshness.

Yes, I was referring to the 1500-2000 rpm range. The rumble/perceived lack of refinement isn't just noticed only within that range. But, since that's often the rpm the engine is turning at during uneventful cruising it's easier to notice. It's much more understandable during acceleration, but I imagined cruising at low rpms wouldn't exhibit this characteristic. Engine harshness and noise is present during acceleration, and is actually a bit more pronounced in a similar rpm range. Maybe 1500 to 2500 rpm.

It's a little confusing, since it feels slightly rough/rumbly with an accompanying roar. Almost as if it might be due to a deliberate attempt to have a sporty tone. It reminds me somewhat of the Nissan 3.5, but thankfully less grainy, less buzzy, and without the contrived engine note.

My last Mazda with the supercharged Miller cycle V6 engine was silky smooth during acceleration, when the damned thing wasn't malfunctioning. The 3.5 in the Toyota Avalon is exceptionally refined. The inline 6 of the BMW may be an unfair comparison, since engines with this configuration are inherently balanced and of almost incomparable smoothness. It's possible I'm spoiled by recent models with unusually refined engines. But, it's still a curiosity.

By the way, further driving at around 70 hwy/30 city has yielded 19 mpg.
    Hi Sedmund. Would you mind expanding on the noise that you mention experiencing at idle? And was there any further explanation when you contacted your dealer and Mazda? I admit, it might be nitpicking for me to be concerned about this. But, if it's actually issue that is recognized and can be resolved, I'd like to take advantage of it.

You're assessment sounds great. For a practical, front drive family sedan it's quite stable and enjoyable to drive.
    I understand what you are saying. I've owned many cars that were unrefined. The DOHC Monte Carlo I had comes to mind, as well as some of the old Corvettes I had, but they were still a blast to drive.

I guess I just don't worry about things like that. I just drive them for all they're worth.

I'm still getting used to the nose heaviness of a front wheel drive car and am learning what it takes to get around a corner as fast as it can go. It may take a while.

One thing I didn't expect - this s GT doesn't ask to be driven hard. You have to want to do it - if you know what I mean. It's a little too civilized for me.

• philitusphilitus Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help me out. My lovely bride seems to think that a price of $4000 below invoice is a realistic expectation on an iGT. If I am not divorced by then, I plan on buying at the end of this month. Does anyone mind sharing where their price was in relation to invoice so that I can call the dealer or my lawyer depending on your answers?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    There is an easier solution than divorce: let your lovely bride negotiate with the dealer, if she thinks $4000 below invoice is realistic. :)
    Do you have a trade?

Assuming you do - the dealer I bought mine from asked for $100 over invoice and gave me Kelley Blue Book "Good" condition for my trade. They could also have asked for $4,000 under invoice and given me $4,000 less for my trade.

If you don't have a trade - If you can get anywhere near invoice, grab it.

Haha, the way you describe it is hilarious! Just like Backy said, if she thinks 4000 below invoice is reasonable, let her do the negotiating. You'll either have very understanding salespeople who will realize her perspective on car pricing is unrealistic, and they'll try to be educate and accomodate her. Or, you'll never be able to step foot in there again. One great thing you can count on is that you don't have to argue with you wife about what's reasonable, in terms of pricing. The dealer staff will be burdened with that task. Another possible outcome is that her genuine belief that such a low price is possible may help in negotiations and get the salesperson to give you the lowest number he or she is comfortable with. Good luck.
    Compared to Corvettes, any mid-sized sedan will feel civilized. You're right, it doesn't beg to be pushed. But when you do, it feels more capable than most of its competition.

Experiences with other cars definitely affects our perspective. But, this is a brand new, modern car with improved refinement as one of its main objectives.

Another peculiar thing that came up is this dull little clunk that occurs a moment after breaking and coming to a complete stop. Like something has momentum and is shifting and coming to a rest after the rest of the car.

I finally saw another Mazda6 on the road! It was fun having such a "unique" car. Now that bubble has burst. The good thing is that it looks great moving on the road. It's great that Mazda has come up with a decent, practical four door with cool style that normal people can afford.
  • philitusphilitus Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the responses. I am glad you could tell my sarcasm from my frustration.

I do have a trade, but it is a 2000 Grand Am with 131,000 miles. Not exactly a great bargaining chip. To be honest, the only reason I was looking right now was because of the economy, I thought I could get a good deal. Not to mention that I loved the car when I test drove it. But I am realistic at least as to what a good deal is. Right now, I am so frustrated with my "bargaining coach" that I may say the hell with it and just drive my current car until the wheels fall off.
  • soulcoughingsoulcoughing Member Posts: 1
    Philitus, I paid 24900 + tax, etc for IGT w/ moonroof/bose and all weather floor mats. Ebony Black. I didn't get in on any of the Maxda cash that others have been talking about in here, you may look into that.

I do have a question regarding a roof rack. Anyone have info or recommendations on a roof rack for my 09 Mazda for Mtn bike, snowboard, etc? Also on the smart key settings it states that you can turn off the audible beeping noise that the car makes when you dont fasten your seatbelt. I have had the car in twice and to have this turned off. It still beeps, anyone had any luck with this? Thanks in advance.
    xyz123, the noise I'm talking about is like a faint knocking noise just barely audible. Not many people may even notice it - I could hear it every-time but my wife didn't notice for a long time even after I told her about it!
    A Mazda technician took a look at it and, if my memory servers me right, told me that it was caused by the purge solenoid. I will confirm it when I take the car in for the first service. This noise comes on when the car is idling, stays on for 30 seconds or so and turns off. When this noise comes on I can in fact feel something on my foot on the brake as if something is tapping the bottom of my feet! Again keep in mind all this is very faint - I'm just trying to describe it as best I can.
    The Mazda technician was quite friendly and didn't pretend, even for a moment, that this noise didn't exist. He acknowledged the problem and said they are aware of it and working on a fix. Let's see ...
  • chriso7chriso7 Member Posts: 34
    Hi Sedmund -- is this only an issue on an 6s 6cyl or does it also affect the 4cyl 6i?
    Also on the smart key settings it states that you can turn off the audible beeping noise that the car makes when you dont fasten your seatbelt.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that has anything to do with the key personalization settings. It's listed, separately, in the seat belt information part of the manual.

Maybe the dealer is confused. :confuse:

• mantoastmantoast Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at new cars for a while now and mazda had not been on my list of contenders. Mostly due to a lack of mazda dealers conveniently located. After reading/studying up on them I see that it might be a good option. The question I have is: does the bluetooth allow for 2 devices to be connected at the same time?
    I don't want to have to buy a crap phone with a built in MP3 player when I can get a good phone and a good MP3 player for next to nothing.
    Thanks
    All the 3 Mazda6's I saw that had this problem happened to be 6-cyl. So I don't know if this issue is present in the 4-cyl or not.
  • darkmanrob85darkmanrob85 Member Posts: 30
    Has anyone had problems with fluctuating MPG readings from the info button. At one time it read i was getting 21 AVG MPG. Now its reading 18 AVG MPG. I've had my 09 Mazda S for about two months so I know the engine has been broken in some what. :confuse:
    Maybe you're just consuming more gas per mile traveled. That would be the simplest explanation. Is that for one trip or for the duration of your ownership? If you're talking about from the time you brought it home until now, that's a big change. You can reset any particular display category if you hold down the trip button while it's being shown on the little screen. Then maybe you can monitor each tankful, and compare it to the calculation you make at the pump. Neither one will be completely accurate, but at least you'll get a good idea if the computer is working properly.

21 miles per gallon sounds really good for an average. I averaged low 19s for the first tankful, mid 18s for the second, and it seems like it's going to be mid 18s for the current tank. That's for around 1/3 city, 2/3 hwy.
    Yes you can pair as many devices as you like. And you can configure everything using voice commands.
  • darkmanrob85darkmanrob85 Member Posts: 30
    Its for the duration my ownership. I have 2500 miles (give or take a little) on it now. I do drive 1/3 city and 2/3 hwy. It just seemed so strange how at one time my the info button read 21 AVG MPG then 18 AVG MPG. I reset the info button every time I fill up. Are you suppose to rest the info button every time you fill up or every once and awhile? IDK but I'm just gonna calculate the AVG MPG after I fill up again :confuse:
    You can reset it whenever you'd like... or never. The chances are that your driving habits or routes are just requiring more fuel at different times. If you notice that it's really too erratic, get it checked out. Otherwise, that mileage isn't too unusual.
  • drosadrosa Member Posts: 24
    Yesterday I drove at least 15 miles after the INFO screen said 0 to empty. I pulled up to Valero on route 130. Only had $16 in cash. $16 took it past the 1/2 tank mark. woo hoo. Having a hard time keeping my S below 75mph. The speedometer is small and its hard to note 65 vs 75. It still feels a bit rough when accelerating but the Noises are either going away or I am getting used to them. Really haven't seen another 6 on the road on my daily commutes
    I sure would appreciate if someone with factory fog lamps would be able to check their passenger side lamp for more play than the drivers side. It seems that it could rattle some due to the extra play it has with respect to the movement of it.

Thank you in advance... :)
    I checked mine. The passenger side is a little looser than the drivers side. Weird, huh?

Doesn't seem like a show-stopper.

Does anyone have the factory remote starter installed on the 2009 Mazda 6 with the advanced keyless start system? I would like to know how it works in conjuction with the keyless start system.
    The fog lamps seem to have the same security/tension on both sides for me. Is the passenger side fog lamp on your car so loose that you really think it'd rattle? Have you heard it rattle yet?

This is sort of trivial and admittedly immature, but I just had an impromtu in motion acceleration contest with an older Audi S4. I guess the engine note of the Mazda is quite noticeable outside of the car even with moderate acceleration. This apparently encouraged the other driver to egg me on. Surprisingly, the Mazda won.

Now for the somewhat applicable part; mysteriously, some of the engine noise and harshness diminished while driving around immdediately afterwards. It seems that the aggressive engine sound was noticeable to the S4 driver, and friends have mentioned an audible "roar" from the outside. So, maybe part of the perceived lack of refinement is due to a deliberately engineered rumble and exhaust note? And possibly, with more use, it'll further subside? I hope this is the case.
    Gas mileage continues to be middling. I knew fuel economy wasn't going to be a strength with this car, but there was still a sliver of hope it would be better. With 40% city driving and 60% hwy, my last tank calculated to be in the mid 18's again. The situation in the above post was really an anomoly, so that shouldn't factor in. However, I generally tend to keep a brisk pace, which surely contributes to the less than stellar numbers. Plus, when I say city driving I mean downtown Chicago. That's lots of lights and traffic. Does anyone know what the EPA's "city" testing actually involves? How are other people doing with fuel efficiency?
    I was looking inside my engine compartment yesterday and I noticed a suspicious looking yellow cap with kind off a half moon opening in the middle sitting on its side on top of the transmission. I did not want to attempt to move it or remove it just in case it is actually meant to be there, but it does not seem connected to anything and it is sitting on its side so it does not seem to be actually covering anything.
    Could it be something that dropped into the engine bay during manufacturing by mistake, or is it supposed to actually be installed somewhere and was missed? Any ideas?
    Also my niece who also bought the same car as I (Mazda 6 GT), says her radio channels seem to change by themselves. I thought it might be the RDM button, but that seems to be related only to the CD player. Did she press something by mistake to cause that behavior or should she get this issue checked out.
    Thanks for any insight
    I have noticed the "rattle" or I should say potential to rattle under the following condition:

When I press on the passenger side lamp, gently pushing it backwards (I press on the furthest right handside middle) the lamp goes back further than the other side and when I let go, I hear it hitting something upon return (as if it was hitting something plastic) but what is strange is I don't see it hitting anything visible from the front outside, like the frame around it. If I press on other parts of the lamp, the mounting seems firm as would be expected.

What part of the lamp did you push on?

It again is a small thing, but I am thinking that driving on roads a rattle or vibration would most likely occur maybe causing the lamp to prematurely go bad.

Thanks all for your input.