Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• musicman5musicman5 Member Posts: 9
    I think you meant the "dealer" is offering below invoice, not Mazda. Either way, good news if you live in that area.

Actually, the dealer's wording was the offer was from Mazda. If I give you the dealer's web address, maybe you can correct them.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    They won't listen to me...lol

It could be a mistake from the company that powers their web site. I know the company that maintains ours has goofed from time to time.
  • 1stmzda1stmzda Member Posts: 9
    Hi, this message is for aviboy97. Would you be able to provide any insight into when the next delivery of Mazda6's might take place? There's 69 vehicles accross 3 dealers in my area but I'm interested in a 6s Touring of which there are only 9. I'm also considering the 2010 Mazda3 which I understand may be arriving in Feb? Also, any insight into whether Mazda will continue the S-Plan pricing should Ford drop out of the picture? Thx.
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    My 2009 Mazda6 s GT saw the first snow and the car wouldn't climb up my driveway (I have a short but steep driveway). I thought I could get away at least this winter with the new tires and all but clearly I need snow tires - what we got today is just 2 inches of snow!
    Thinking of either going with the original size tires (18") or smaller tires+wheel package (16"). If I go with the smaller wheel+tire package do I need to buy TPMS sensors or can I just use the original ones that I have?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Go with the small wheel+tire package and save some $$$. As for TPMS, if you don't mind the light on the dash, you can get away WITHOUT the sensors and save some $$$ there as well. If you check tire pressure once per week, like I do, you'll do fine without the sensors.

If you go with TPMS, I'm not sure if they're interchangeable between certain types of wheels, and it may cost extra to swap them twice per year. Even if you get a different set for your winter wheels, prepare to pay extra to calibrate the sensors to the car twice per year as well.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    clearly I need snow tires

...or a snow shovel and some salt :)
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    since you have the mazda s check the tires and see if you have all seasons on it. you might just have summer tires. they will go nowhere . the all seasons should be fine with it being front wheel drive.
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    I disagree. All seasons are junk. Nothing like a set of grippy, confidence inspiring Blizzak WS-60's.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    "I disagree. All seasons are junk"

I disagree with you....they are not junk. I don't disagree that snow or winter tires will give you better traction in snow, etc but I've found all season tires to be adequate in the Midwest area and that includes rear wheel drive only pickups. The hassle, expense and handling on dry roads(90% of the time in winter in the midwest) of snow tires are just not worth it in my opinion. If someone lives way out in the country and is constantly driving on unplowed or seldom plowed roads I can understand the need. Otherwise they are more trouble than they are worth.

And yes I've lived in the Midwest my entire life including 20 years in Michigan and have never been in a ditch or became stuck in snow. I do tend to avoid driving unless absolutely necessary when the weather is really bad though.
    Would you be able to provide any insight into when the next delivery of Mazda6's might take place?

Job 1 is just finishing up production for the 09 Mazda6. Inventory is pretty heavy with the 09 Mazda6 because total 09 inventory was mainly ordered during Job1. Job 2 does not begin until after the new year. I had the opportunity to tour the AAI plant in Flat Rock, MI, where they build the Mazda6, earlier this month and the factory will be dark for most of the holiday season from what they told me.

I'm also considering the 2010 Mazda3 which I understand may be arriving in Feb?

With the struggling world economy, I believe Mazda is going to hold off on 2010 Mazda3 production until 2009 inventory slims out a bit more. I expect the 2010's to be here in late March / early April.

Also, any insight into whether Mazda will continue the S-Plan pricing should Ford drop out of the picture?

That is a great question! One I have asked myself, and for now, there is no plans to discontinue that partnership. Now, Ford still owns a bit of stake, only 14% I believe. Technology sharing will continue, however, many of MNAO exec's who were placed in the company by Ford will be phased out, and Mazda will replace them with people of their choosing. This translates into faster response time to issues, design and R & D will happen a a bit more swift, and Japan will have more influence of daily opperations. Ford also loses their seat on the board as a member of Mazda Motor Co.
  • lpmillerlpmiller Member Posts: 27
    Do you have traction control off or something? I have a very steep, very long driveway that would occasionally give my forrester problems, and it's been snowing pretty much every day this week, and I've had no issues. Granted, I think the all seasons they put on these cars are kind of crap in the snow (give me some triple tread all seasons any day) but I've been surprised at just how well the car has been doing in the snow and ice.
  • 1stmzda1stmzda Member Posts: 9
    Hey, thanks avi. I check out this site to research models and I appreciate your contributions. Last answer sounds great if it happens, sounds like it will allow Mazda to have more control over their products (for the better).
    I'm glad I could help!

sounds like it will allow Mazda to have more control over their products (for the better)

There won't be much change over product control, but, rather how the company is run. Think of Mazda being more efficient with daily operations.
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    No I don't have traction control off. In fact when I was trying to drive up the snowy driveway I saw the tcs light/icon on the dash come on a few times but it didn't help. BTW apart from my driveway I didn't have any traction issues with the 6 anywhere else even when on some areas where the roads weren't fully clear and had some snow on them. It's basically the slope of my driveway that's causing issue here with the 6.
    BTW the awd CX-9 that we have went up the driveway unflinchingly, just before I tried the 6 and failed. I used to be skeptical of awd's till I got to see the ease with which our CX-9 climbs up our driveway under low traction conditions.
  • barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    I have a 09 Mazda6 S Grand Touring.
    I drove in over 10 inches of snow today with no issues!
    I also had a small problem getting up my high driveway.
    I switched off the traction control & was easy able to get in my garage!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Perhaps, while the Mazda6 comes with all-season tires, they are more performance oriented and less all-season-ish than what some other vehicles come with.
  • matthew_bmatthew_b Member Posts: 1
    I bought My Mazda6 in October and got my remote Mazda remote start put installed in November. The shop had a tough time installing it taking them two days and they needed to give me a car rental, but anyway the remote start is not that great. My issues i have with it are, 1)the remote start key is one button. you need to hold it for one second then push it quickly again for your car to start. if pushed wrong it will set off your car alarm and not start your car, so when you go outside your car is off but your alarm is on. 2) with advance key less system, when you open your door it turns off the car. it is a safety feature. so you will have to restart your car after you open your door. 3) the key fob does not tell you if your car was started, im kind of picky on that one but it would be nice to be able to tell if it started or not other than walking outside to see if it worked or not. so I would probably pass on it unless those aren't much of an issue for you. OH and one other thing, you can not have your rear defrosters turned on with your car, so you will have to turn it on after you get in your car.
  • snoopy316snoopy316 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2009 Mazda 6 S GT.. I was pulling out of a parking lot today, and there was about 6 - 8 inches of snow at the end of the parking lot. I stopped to make sure no cars were coming down the road and hit the gas. the TCS light began the flash.. I wasn't moving very far. then out of no where my car turned off.. I looked at the start button and noticed that just the accessories were on. I press the start button. Turned off the TCS and got right out.

Has anyone else had this problem.. or knows what might cause this?
    I also live on a steep hill and have not had an issue getting up my driveway.

I was mildly concerned when my car turned off thou...
    I was pulling out of a parking lot today, and there was about 6 - 8 inches of snow at the end of the parking lot. I stopped to make sure no cars were coming down the road and hit the gas. the TCS light began the flash

First, your TCS should be turned off when starting from a dead stop and you are in snow that deep because you need wheel spin to get your car moving forward. The TCS light was flashing because the car was letting you know the TCS was activated (preventing wheel spin by reducing engine throttle and utilizing the brakes). The TCS system was working properly.

I wasn't moving very far. then out of no where my car turned off.

My guess is that since the TCS was engaged for so long, the throttle was reduced for too long and the engine starved itself of fuel.

Again, when starting from a dead stop, turn off the TCS until you are actively moving forward, then turn it back on. Your salesman should have told you that. You can also read about it in your owners manual.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2009 Mazda 6 who are parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jwahl@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 26, 2008 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks,

Jonathan Wahl
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Again, when starting from a dead stop, turn off the TCS until you are actively moving forward, then turn it back on. Your salesman should have told you that. You can also read about it in your owners manual.

or...

just don't floor it when in 6-8 inches of snow ;)
  • darkmanrob85darkmanrob85 Member Posts: 30
    I've had my 09 M6 for about 2 1/2 months and I noticed over the weekend, while looking under my hood, that my engine coolant is low. My car is new, so why is my engine coolant level low? :confuse: Nothing is leaking, so should i take back to Mazda to have them look at it or just put some more engine coolant in it? :confuse:
  • rnmomrnmom Member Posts: 32
    My husband drove the car today 6cy we want it loaded theonly thing not include is navi. Leasing for 36 monthe 10,5 miles 2000.00 down includes tax first month and fees. for 419 a month I live in NYC any idea if that is a good n7umber the I was told the car listed for 26,000 and we would get it for around 23,00 Help
  • danxpdanxp Member Posts: 47
    does the M6 have this option? you know, when you put the car in reverse, the side mirrors tilt downward so you can see the curb so you don't mess up your rear rims?

this is pretty standard on the higher end cars such as acura, bmw and lexus, but have yet to see it on any mazda or toyota/honda...

thanks.
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    mazda was offering the base 6I listed for 19,920 or so for 199.00 a month so if you are getting the car for 23,000 .00 then over 400.00 is grand theft auto. do the math you pay over 7200.00 more in the less than the base car which is only 4000.00 less.find another dealer.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869
    No. I just leave the switch over to the right mirror and adjust it down when parking. That's one thing I definitely miss. Not a deal breaker though.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

I highly doubt you are looking at a "loaded" Mazda6 s GT for $23,000. It lists for $30,000.

Did your payment include sales tax, fees, etc? How much money are you putting down?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Hopefully you're looking at the overflow and not the radiator. If the overflow is low just add water and check it again in a month. If the overflow is empty and the radiator is low, then get it to the dealer (have it towed if it's running HOT).
    Thanks. It was the overflow. I had the Technician check it when I went in for my oil change. He said every thing was good.
    If I change the speakers will my Bumper to Bumper Warranty be void? :confuse:
    Do you mean if you change out the stock speakers with aftermarket speakers will the warranty on the original speakers be void?

Yes...you should have a new manufacturer's warranty on the new speakers.

Unless the part you changed out adversely affect another part it should not void any warranty.

Generally you can change any component; as long is it doesn't affect anything else it should not void any warrant...not being an expert of course...
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    My Mazda6 i GT w/AT is now two months old and has 1900 miles on it.

Good points:
    - very roomy and comfortable and quiet
    - very responsive engine, transmission, brakes, etc.. (also all are very linear so control of them is easy)
    - superbly solid and precise steering control although a little too light on the steering effort for me
    - excellent cornering and handling w/little body roll
    - very good traction on snow with standard all-season tires and electronic stability program
    - very good gas mileage according to the built-in computer (haven't had a chance yet to do the manual calculations especially after one recent tank fill where the automatic nozzle didn't automate.. and sprayed my pants and shoes with much gas ! Not Mazda's fault!) Got a reading of over 28 mpg on a 220 mile trip of 80% highway driving with 1000 miles on engine.
    - excellent ergonomics on the controls and dashboard layout and excellent switch/control feel
    - excellent standard audio system (previous car was a Mercedes with Bose and I haven't noticed much difference)
    - excellent fit and finish inside and out.

Nit Picks:
    - Outside mirror and steering wheel not included in automated settings for each driver
    - Mazda engineers never drove in New England coastal fog or they would have allowed use of fog lights WITHOUT headlights..!!
    - Didn't expect to get a Grand Touring car with super low-profile tires. Ride is a little harsher than I had expected for the Grand Touring model. Super lo-profile tires are OK for Grand Sport model, not Grand Touring.!

Overall I am really pleased with this car and if it is as good as my 1988 MX-6, I should have it for at least 9-10 years with no serious problems.. Zoom-Zoom!

:):D:)
    Yeah I wanted to change my stock speakers with aftermarket speakers and get subwoofers w/amp.

When I called the dealership they said if i change the stock speakers the warranty towards my speakers and radio would be void. :confuse: Your explanation was the same I got from a lot other people I spoke to.

I'm still going to get the audio system changed but I'm just hearing a lot of stuff.
    Does anyone know the size of the door speakers? :confuse:

I can't find the size anywhere online.
    - Mazda engineers never drove in New England coastal fog or they would have allowed use of fog lights WITHOUT headlights..!!

It's not very common to find a car come from the factory where it allows you to use the fog lights with the headlights off. My wifes Subaru does the same thing.

Didn't expect to get a Grand Touring car with super low-profile tires

The 17" alloys are not really "low profile" tires. Check out the 18" alloys on the s model and you will see what low profile is!

I guess if those are your complaints, you must really like the car! I have a few nit picks about my 2005 as well, but, the positives far out weigh the negatives.
    I meant the rear speakers not the rear door speakers :confuse:
  • scsethscseth Member Posts: 7
    FYI - I just bough a fully loaded Mazda6 (all options including nav). Invoice on the car was $29,977. After a lot of haggling, I was able to get it under invoice but not by much.
  • pamnpamn Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2009 Mazda6 i-touring three days ago. This morning I noticed a dark spot on the upper front bumper. Thought it was probably a leaf or piece of debris. Much to my amazement, the paint is chipped!!! Called the dealership immediately and brought it over. The body shop guy looked at it and said it was a rock peck and there was nothing they could do about it because it's not a "design flaw". I have friends and co-workers who drive Hondas, Nissan, GM products, etc. None of their cars have paint flaking off because of a rock peck. Called Mazda and was told basically the same thing. "Get with your insurance company". What's going to happen the next time a rock pecks it?? Pretty soon the entire bumper will be black. I'm so angry right now. You cannot make me believe that paint flaking on a three-day-old car is not a factory defect or design flaw. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me???
    Nothing much you can do (your opinion doesn't matter to them).

Flaking does sound odd..a chip can happen at any time...but flaking :confuse:

If a 3rd party paint shop agrees with you this may sway Mazda...good clear coat...clear nose mask (aka car bra).
    Without seeing it myself, I cannot be of any help or give advise. Sorry :sick:
  • mustangman911mustangman911 Member Posts: 7
    Aw, jeez. That sounds like a problem that would frustrate me, too. Unfortunately, I can't see it for myself so I can't diagnose a problem. Does sound suspicious, though... :confuse:
  • mustangman911mustangman911 Member Posts: 7
    Sorry to crash your thread, but what's the top speed on the 09 6? It looks like it would go pretty fast with the new styling, but I've only been in one once, so I'm pretty clueless :) .
    It looks like it would go pretty fast with the new styling,

Not sure what you mean.

Do you mean the styling has a low drag coefficient...therefore it will have a high top speed?

I'm not certain that drag coefficient has a large role in these vehicles top speed...most are electronically limited.
    I feel for you, I got a rock chip in my windshield not a week after I got my car.

still, depending on how the rock hit the bumper, I'm not sure what mazda could do about it. Sucks that it happened so soon after you bought the car, but that doesn't mean there is a flaw in the car itself.
  • chriso5chriso5 Member Posts: 8
    pamn,

I am sorry to hear about your new car's paint issue. I also own a new Mazda6 and noticed just a couple weeks after driving that a small paint chip was on the hood. I am told it is more likely to happen during cold weather. It is not down all the way to the metal thankfully.

How big is your chip? Or is it more of a flake (larger than a chip)?
  • drosadrosa Member Posts: 24
    So pissed off! Snowed here in Central Jersey this morning. Had choice of picking up my co-worker or getting picked up. My wrong choice is costing 2K+ worth of Rim and suspension damage to my new 6. I turned onto his street which was not plowed yet and could not make the sharp left. Ended up side swiping the curb with both right rims. At first I thought I just needed a alignment and could find rims on ebay to replace the scratched ones. I went straight to the dealer driving at 20mph and my steering wheel turned all way to left. Dealer calls me back $2300 worth of damage. Tie Rod, strut, Rim, etc. :sick: I am so pissed. I have to file an insurance claim for that kind of $ .
    Aw that's terrible. Just another reason to fully support global warming.
  • pamnpamn Member Posts: 2
    The flake on the front bumper of my car is probably about the size of a dime. Underneath the paint is hard plastic. After a few days of back and forth with the bodyshop guy and Mazda, I was able to speak with the owner of the dealership and have him look at the car. He's agreed to repair it correctly (the body shop guy wanted to mix paint and apply). They're going to put a pressure washer on it to make sure that no other paint will come off and then feather out the spot, repaint and apply clearcoat to the entire bumper. Couldn't have asked for more. He understood my frustrations and did the right thing. We'll see how it turns out.
  • DBM89DBM89 Member Posts: 2
    My dad bought me a Mazda 6 2009, s Grand Touring, and has a several paint problem. The paint of my car, has stains on all the car. The only thing that accept Mazda, is to re-paint all the car, free, but, i wanted to change it to a new one, because i do not trust the quality of the body shop of Mazda here in Mexico. The most surprising thing, my best friend bought the same car, in the same color(silver), and has the same problem, unless than my car. Where is the quality of Mazda? Please check your car, if you have a Mazda 6 09 silver color. This stains, are like white, only you can see on the sun, in certain angles.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Since something like this hasn't been reported widely, I would venture a guess that this happened during shipment of the vehicle between Detroit and Mexico.