Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    since the Mazda6 under goes numerous quality check point through out the production process, I highly doubt there is a quality problem, but rather an isolated incident. Remember, you have a metallic paint. It will shimmer in the sunlight.
  • oceana143oceana143 Member Posts: 38
    What colors do you think this car looks best in? What colors don't work as well?
  • maxamillion85maxamillion85 Member Posts: 78
    Colors that work well:
    Brilliant Silver, Kona Blue, Sangria Red (on V6 models) and Dark Cherry.

Colors that don't work well:
    Comet Gray, Smokestone and Light Ice Blue...
  • trinitywolftrinitywolf Member Posts: 8
    For sure not the light ice blue. How do you spell u g l y?

It is hard to keep clean but I dig my black 6.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    These are the best colors in my opinion, in order
    1. Blue (2 tone interior is great)
    2. Black (If it comes in 2 tone interior would be even better).
    3. Dark red (I am not sure what it is called)
    4. Red
    5. Grey

Worst colors
    1. White
    2. Silver
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    I went with hankook w409 winter i pike snow tires on 17" maxim wheels couple of weeks ago. Snow handling of these tires is awesome. We had about 6 inches of snow today and my 6 went up my un-plowed steep driveway with ease! Amazing what a difference snow tires can make! These tires also have decent dry handling and pretty quiet on highway driving. Very happy with them so far.
  • darkmanrob85darkmanrob85 Member Posts: 30
    Yeah i have a black 6 too. I try to wash it every other week. Especially since I just got some 20" rims put on ;);) . I need lowering kit now to make everything look straight ;)
  • Boricua6Boricua6 Member Posts: 1
    what are the specs of the 20" rims that you put on your 6? is it a 2009 6? did you have to do any mods for them to fit? Im looking to get some 20" rims but it seems that it is not recommended!! do you have pics?
  • fliegerflieger Member Posts: 14
    Black on Black!
    Hi,
    can you tell me which transmitter you bought for your ipod classic?

Thanks
    Congrats! I got the same car with the same options. Black on black!
    I love it!
    I paid 23,791 + TTL.
  • ZoomZoom6GTZoomZoom6GT Member Posts: 2
    Anyone notice a rattle in the front centre speaker when you drive through little road bumps with models equipped with the Bose system?
    Yeah I got the 2009 mazda 6. The size of the rims are 20x7.5. You can get 22s but they'll rub(I might get 22s in a year...maybe :P ). If you decide to get rims get either 20x7.5 or 20x8. Honestly I think it handles better with the 20s than the 18s. I'll post pics tonight since I'm at work right now
  • lpmillerlpmiller Member Posts: 27
    Bah, my grey looks great, and it's a beautiful paint just as the sun is setting and the blue comes out. Plus, it's bit easier to deal with in a dirty winter then black.

I've seen mostly black and greys on the road, and one white. Nothing else.
    09 Mazda 6 with 20" rims (may get 22s next year :P ). I need lowering springs now.

According to Automotive news, some 29,000 '09 Mazda6's (which I think would be all of them sold at this point) are being recalled for a possibly fault in the outside door handle. Something about the fit not being quite right, causing the handle to not close all the way with the potential being there for the door to fly open on it's own. There is one case of that, in Canada.
    Thanks for the heads up. I just checked my car (6i Touring) on MyMazda and did not find any recall notices on it. This recall seems to be model specific.
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Member Posts: 28
    I have just purchased an 09 Mazda 6 Grand Touring and have put 850 miles on it and am loving it. However, the back shelf where the speakers are rattles all the time. The dealer has ordered a new back shelf. Hopefully this will solve the problem. Everything else is tight with no rattles. Any car can develope rattles from many different sources. I hope your dealer can fix all of the rattles.
    yeah, I dunno about that. It was just announced, they may not have updated mymazda yet. Since they are supposed to send out letters to owners of the affected cars, I'd just wait for that, or use the contact info below. There is only 1 reported case - in Canada - of it happening, so I don't know how many cars is actually affects.

Make: MAZDA Model: MAZDA6
    Model Year: 2009
    Manufacturer: MAZDA MOTOR CORP Mfr's Report Date: FEB 03, 2009
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V043000
    N/A
    NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:DOOR:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 29000
    Summary:
    MAZDA IS RECALLING 29,000 MY 2009 MAZDA6. THE OUTER DOOR HANDLES MAY STICK WHICH MAY PREVENT THE DOOR FROM LATCHING. THIS SITUATION MAY ALLOW THE DOOR TO OPEN WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION.
    Consequence:
    DRIVING THE VEHICLE WITH THE DOOR UNLATCHED COULD LEAD TO AN UNBELTED OCCUPANT BEING EJECTED AND COULD RESULT IN DEATH OR INJURY.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE DOOR HANDLES AND IF NECESSARY REPAIR OR REPLACE THE HANDLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 13, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MAZDA AT 1-800-222-5500.
    Notes:
    MAZDA RECALL NO. 5209A. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869
    The recall affects the 2009 Mazda 6 with VIN Range of 1YV HP8**95 M00057 - M36656 (the * can be any letter or number) and Build Date from April 8, 2008 through November 7, 2008.

Some vehicles have already been repaired at the Ports.

My 6s GT is within that VIN Range so is one of those affected. I have not had the problem described though - yet.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

Thanks for the info & link.
    gah, mines in that range. I haven't noticed anything either, but then, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Every thing SEEMS just fine.
    Mazda sent me a recall notice. I have to take my car in to get the door checked out :cry::cry:
    Yeah. I got mine today.

I'll just have them look at it the next time I go for an oil service.

• vfontjrvfontjr Member Posts: 9
    I took my car to the local car wash today. As I pulled out I noticed water dripping on the inside of the car at the top of the door just opposite the driver's side mirror. I have a little grill there. It might be a microphone or a small speaker. The water was dripping from directly under that little grill. It wasn't a bad drip, but I know it shouldn't be there. The car is a 2009 Mazda 6i Grand Touring. Anyone else have this problem?
    I don't have that problem.

Have your dealer take a look at it before it ruins the speaker.

Before I would do that though, I would try to duplicate the leak. Sit inside the car and do it again. If it was a hand spray wash, have someone else do the wash. Watch for the leak. Make sure the window is all the way up too (but it doesn't appear that it could be from a slightly open window).

Yeah, I had mine waiting for me when I got home.
  • aspen8aspen8 Member Posts: 5
    I have 4300 miles on a Comet Gray Mazda 6 (2009). Just received a recall notices and took care to dealer on 1/21/09. Found rear passenger door handle in need of replacement. It is color coded and will take maybe 3 days to arrrive. Told it is a very quick procedure. Love the car, feels very solid and 4cyl is power enough for me in Maryland. Ride is not as soft as would like but overall a fine high quality car and would be one again in a second.
  • scsethscseth Member Posts: 7
    FYI - got my recall notice last week for a 2009 Mazda S-GT, but MyMazda.com still does not show any recalls.
    Ride is not as soft as would like ...

See? That's interesting. I have the s GT with 18" low profile stone-clunkers and I wish the ride was a little firmer with a little less body lean.

That's why it is futile to argue about suspensions. Everyone likes something different.

Just got a call this morning from Mazda, that my replacement color coded door handle is in. This was ordered last Sat.or Monday of this week. It came in very fast and I am very pleased. Also, I have a I Touring Mazda 6 09. It has 17" alloy wheels. In response to the last entry. The ride is very firm with little body lean. I love that part.It feels solid. To be more specific, let me just say that the ride itself over less than perfectly smooth roads produces a ride that does not absorb the imperfections of the road. The car produces a little more feedback from the road surface than what I am used to. Could be the tires themselves. Other than that,(a minor annoyance), I love the car. Not one problem with it.
    I'm glad to hear that you've got prompt service. Please let us know how long the installation takes, and whether they were able to fix the problem while you waited.

I came over from a '95 Accord, which BTW has been a great car. The ride in my 6i Touring (17" alloy wheels) is definitely stiffer, but i like it. It feels sporty to me. I do feel every bump in the road. I had to be extra careful when driving my wife home from surgery the other day, as each bump in the road made her wince. Now that she's better, its not a problem anymore. I love my 6! :shades:
  • trinitywolftrinitywolf Member Posts: 8
    I love my 09' GT6 I but I could do with a little less road noise. You want a feel of the road though and that you get. It handles well, especially in it's class. However I had a 07' Mazda 3 GT and IMO it handled much better but you feel almost every pebble in the road. I loved my 3 too.
    Don't get me wrong. The 6 has a very able suspension IMO.

I traded a BMW on this Mazda so I am used to a little firmer, more agile drive. For a big, nose-heavy car though, it's very adequate.

It's amazing how they almost eliminated the torque steer. :surprise:

• SeegarzSeegarz Member Posts: 11
    I too, came over after owning an '89 and '02 Accord. I was intially concerned about quality and reliability.... so far so good. i like my 6i Touring
    To Flieger.

Went to my Mazda Dealer this morning to replace the one door handle under the recall program. Remember, it had already been inspected Sat. before and it took less than 15 minutes to replace the handle. Was even offered a free rental for the day. How do you like that for customer service. I said I would rather wait, talked to the service manager and before I knew it, the car was done and ready to leave.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    You should see how I push my 03 6-v6 with 18" tires around a turn. You wouldn't be able to figure out it was a FWD car when you accelerate out of the turn. On a slightly sand covered road, I actually had my rear slide out. Amazing dynamics.

You should see the videos on Youtube from the Middle east where they drive the 2003 Mazda6 drifting and sliding on the road. simply awesome.
    @aspen8
    That's great news. I'm glad it went smoothly.

I had a problem the second day of driving my car (6i Touring, 4 cyl, convenience pkg): it wouldn't start!
    I called my dealer and they told me to call their roadside assistance. I contacted them and an hour and a half later i was at the dealership via tow truck.
    They had to keep the car over night to figure out the problem. They gave me a not-so-nice old Mazda 3 for rental.
    They got the problem fixed the next day. It turned out to be two problems at once:
    1. The remote key "lost its programming"
    2. The shifter didn't make contact correctly when in park, so it wouldn't allow the engine to start.

Anyway its fixed now, and i'm loving the car.
    I'm starting to take a few corners and curves the way I used to with the BMW (now that the snow-covered roads have subsided). This thing is amazing me every day with its abilities.

Can't wait for real summer weather to appear.

• stewie2stewie2 Member Posts: 6
    Hey Guys,
    I am planning to buy the new full size sedan this march. The two vehicles that I have finally decided on in this category are Honda Accord 2009 and the new Mazda 6 2009. I have test driven both these cars and found them very similar. however I have a love for Mazda's interiors and exteriors. So I had planned to buy one soon.
    I have a couple of questions that still are bothering me.
    1. Honda Accord is said to have no scheduled Maintenance until 100k miles. (Couldnt find that on their website but I have read blogs where people have mentioned that)
    2. I have the new Mazda has transmission problems when its COLD, does anyone know about this?
    3. Overall, how has your experience been with the Mazda 6. Would you recommend buying it?
    Thanks
    I faced the exact same issue: 2009 Accord vs. 2009 Mazda 6.
    I can't imagine that the claim of no scheduled maintenance for the first 100k miles is true. But that should be easy enough to confirm via Google.
    I've had my 6 for 6 weeks now, and although we only had one day of freezing temperatures here in Texas, I've had no problems with the transmission.
    I really like the look of the 6 and it's interior (convenience pkg + moonroof/bose pkg). I also feel the engine (4 cyl) is a little spiffier than the Honda's 4 cyl. The Honda felt a bit underpowered to me.
    Although I loved my 95 Accord, which i sold to make room for the 6, I didn't have a problem switching to Mazda. I really enjoy the car and recommend it.
  • scsethscseth Member Posts: 7
    I haven't heard about any transmission issues. FWIW, I live in CO and have had my '09 6 since Jan and haven't had any problems with the transmission.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I can't imagine that the claim of no scheduled maintenance for the first 100k miles is true.

Certainly oil changes, which are scheduled maintenance, must be required prior to 100K mi.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I believe they are referring to plugs and timing belt of the 'ol days.

Most cars now do not require these maintenance items.
  • stewie2stewie2 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate all the inputs that you all have given. So I have decided on a Mazda 6 now and I am looking to talking to dealers for deals for M6.
    I have posted a question already in Buying and Pricing forum but I thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys here. I have decided on M6 - i- Touring (auto) with Moonroof and Bose Package. I am sure about this car and I am looking for some good deals. How much did you guys buy you mazda for? what should be a good price for this car? I would really appreciate any help!
    Thanks
    I paid $23,800 for the 6i Touring with convenience pkg, moonroof/bose pkg, spoiler, mudguards. Plus 2.9% financing.
  • crasht51crasht51 Member Posts: 9
    I got the recall notice too. Do you know which doors this applies to (drivers, front, all)? Also, did they need to remove the door panels to do the fix? To me that might set the stage for future rattles/squeaks if they need to tear into the doors.

Thanks - JP
    To my knowledge, it applies to all 4 doors, but not 100% sure. Was having breakfast next door when inspection was made.My replacement was on the rear passanger door. If I remember correctly, the part itself might have been ok, but there might have been additional paint inside the part which cause a slight problem latching. They replaced the part as I was standing beside it and it was done so fast, I do not recall anyone removing door panels. Also refer to # 1947 # 1950,and # 1955. After over 4,000 miles, still enjoy the car, it feels very solid. I live outside Baltimore and temps do go below freezing. I have had no transmission problems period. Hope this helps you and others with transmission concerns.
    i live in Minnesota, and this winter it has gotten as cold as 22 below zero. On that day, as on every other day during this miserable, misbegotten hell of a winter, I've had zero problems with the tranny. Or anything, other then snow getting stuck in the wheel wells.
  • pats1fanpats1fan Member Posts: 18
    For what it is worth, and it won't be worth much if you don't care about stereo quality, I found that the price for the moon and tune was not worth it. However, that is also because I care far more about a quality stereo than I do a moonroof. If I could do it over again, I would have skipped that package and paid for an after market stereo, speakers, etc.