Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Frankly, I'm lost as to what kind Americanizing the vehicle needs.

The current rumor is that the North American-market 2009 Mazda 6 will look very much like the European-market Mazda 6 that came out recently, but will have slightly longer bumpers to meet NHTSA regulations and a slightly longer hood/engine bay to accommodate the V-6 engine (essentially a modified version of the V-6 drivetrain found on the Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan models).
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    (essentially a modified version of the V-6 drivetrain found on the Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan models).

I think it is safe to say that the Mazda6 will get a version of the Duratec. Either Fords 3.5 (263hp / 249 tq) or Mazdas 3.7 (273hp / 270 tq). Either way you look at it, its the same overall size as the outgoing Duratec 30. Personally, I hope they go for the 3.7. If they have a 6 speed auto, there is no reason they can't get near 30 mpg's out of it, provided they gear it right.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    The 2008 Lincoln MKZ is rated at 18/28 with the 3.5 and a 6 speed auto. Presumably the Mazda6 will get a similar rating.
    Good point. Remember, Mazda and FoMoCo do not share tranny's. I would say it is safe to say 28 mpg's would be fair, and right on with other V6's in it's class.
    Well, it seems we are getting closer to an expected date for the 2009 Mazda6. Final allocations are due in February for MY2008, and that allocation will be produced in March / April. I suppose manufacturing transition will take place after that, and the new 2009's will start production. What does this mean? I am guessing, yes guessing, that the 2009's will start production in May / June / July and be on dealer lots by August / September. This is assuming that the NA Mazda6 will be built in the same plant it is currently built in, Flat Rock MI.
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    Aviboy -

Any guesses on when they might start to release the specs on the US version?
    As soon as I get any official spec's, I will let everyone know. Right now, all I have is speculation. I have heard a good amount of buzz in regards to AWD being offered. Confirmed? No. But, my sources with Mazda seem to think AWD will be offered as an option late in the first model year. If it's true, I hope AWD will be offered in both 4 cyl and V6 models. I would prefer a 4 cyl AWD myself.
  • vincepvincep Member Posts: 12
    AWD V6 wagon would make all my dreams come true.
    agreed! I have a dog and on occasion go skiing. This would be the "perfect" combo - much more fun to drive than an SUV, but able to get around in the snow when needed.

Really like the pictures of the wagon as well! :shades:
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    There's a preview (a short driving test) in a respected russian magazine with gorgeous shots of the car. In a brief, the car is better than a previous version in every respect and looks stunning. Also, aerodynamically superior to the most cars on the road (Cx=0.27) http://www.autoreview.ru/archive/2007/20/mazda6_2gen/
    I don't know, I can't help thinking "Camry" every time I see a front or rear view.
    Funny, every time I see the Camry, I see the current Mazda6...lol

They do have similarities, however, I think the Mazda flows better, and did a better job in the design department
  • hokiedoghokiedog Member Posts: 24
    I love the new car, and it's good enough I may trade my 2004 Mazda6 Hatch for a 2009 Hatch.

My only concern is that the N. American version of the car will remove the coefficient and weight advantages the European car has, without really bumping up the horsepower in the 4cyl model.
    I really don't think there will be much difference from the Euro model
    Yeah, I see that too...
  • bdwbdw Member Posts: 2
    Car will be launched in April of 2008 and customer deliveries will start in early September of 2008.
    Where did you hear this?
    Car will be launched in April of 2008 and customer deliveries will start in early September of 2008.

Come to think of it, isn't a launch date when deliveries take place?? I think you meant to say "unveiling date"?
    If this is true, it means an all-new car to be produced locally, just like Avi was saying... Do you see my (implied) reasoning?
    hmmm...

Just got the current copy of C&D - again they are describing the american version as being bigger and different from the European version. Hope they can keep the good looks...
    No doubt in my mind that the new 6 will be built in Flat Rock, MI. The real question that is yet to be answered is what v6 engine it will get.
    I was trying to say that it's not going to be a deep refresh (like with Focus), but truly a new generation model. C/D also shed more light, citing the actual designer of the car, who said that US model is going to be slightly bigger than a Euro-version.
    was trying to say that it's not going to be a deep refresh (like with Focus), but truly a new generation model.

I knew that. Its been a big topic in my Mazda store.

citing the actual designer of the car, who said that US model is going to be slightly bigger than a Euro-version.

I hope they put emphasis in slightly
  • ppellicoppellico Member Posts: 4
    Let's all hope we can soon see the US version of the 09 6. Has anybody heard if they will show in Detroit or Chicago at the shows>
    Also, I see that many have been discussing the 2010 3...here it is.
    Hope you like it as much as I...
    ppellico
    http://dikarockz.blogspot.com/2007/12/hot-news-2010-mazda-3.html
  • ppellicoppellico Member Posts: 4
    Oh...and one more thing as long as we are discussing the new Mazda6.
    I wonder if anybody has heard that they might put the newest Ford Twin Force engines into any of the newest Mazdas???
    These are supposed to be wonderful and really have high power AND MPG!!!!
    http://www.autosavant.net/2007/07/turbo-happy-ford.html
    The 2009 Mazda6 is not scheduled to appear at the Detroit or Chicago Auto Shows to my knowledge. My guess is we will see it in New York in April. This being because this is when the production will start, and we will see it come early fall 08. It's too early to showcase it because Mazda just entered MY2008 for the current 6.

Since I am in the NY area, I really hope it is in NY come April.
  • rlyonrlyon Member Posts: 57
    Early fall? I was hoping for an earlier release (assuming it resembles the euro version) Man I hope they don't bloat it for US buyers like Camry, Altima and especially Accord. Bigger than the current is fine, but the eruo version looks more than adequately sized.
  • milkman1milkman1 Member Posts: 80
    What kills me is how it is obvious as a consumer why the American car companies are filing. You loose loyal enthusiasts because there old version is falling apart by the time the new model is developed and rolled out. They have to keep a 5 year cycle time. This 6 year thing is going to almost force me to go with a VW or Nissan. I am not enthused about those options, they are better than buying exactly what I'm driving a second time. Mazda needs to put the zoom zoom in their product development. I now here an RX8 update will be here before the 6. That's awesome, but I can't imagine the RX8 is more significant to the business than the 6.
    I now here an RX8 update will be here before the 6.

Thats not true. What we will be getting is a 40th Anniversary Edition of the Rotary engine. It has special wheels and special colors. Have you seen the spy pics labeled "2009 RX-8"? Thats the 40th Anniversary edition. If anything, the RX-8 will be getting a "fresh" face for 2009, but, not a redesign.
    I am guessing early fall, perhaps September. Remember, these are going to be built here, and usually take 8-12 weeks from time of order until they are on dealer lots. We are not going to start ordering them until April, at the earliest! 2008 Mazda6s can be ordered until February.

Remember, the factory needs time to switch over to the new production process since this is a totally new car.
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    Since the 2009 Mazda6 will not be introduced at the NAIAS in Detriot, I'm taking that as a sign that the release will be later rather than earlier.
    Look for it in New York come April
    I need to correct myself. We will not see the North American version on the 2009 Mazda6 in New York in April. Mazda is holding an event for dealers in late April, and that will be the first public showing of the 2009 Mazda6. The rest of the public is going to have to wait.
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    Hopefully one of the dealers invited will get some photos and have some first impressions.
    It's open to all dealers. I am assuming that upper management and or ownership will represent the dealers there. I would not be suprised if photos and specs were leaked out before hand.
  • milkman1milkman1 Member Posts: 80
    I'm in Columbus Ohio and the 3 dealers have a whopping 10 6s in inventory right now put together. I mean I know it's on it's way out, but that seems a little low given the timeframe posted on here for a release late in the year.
    That's surprising to me. I have close to 50 in stock, and not worried about selling them, either.

Allocations are closing in February, and I need to make sure I have enough to last until the new 6 comes out. In my area, they are a good seller. Actually the North East is the highest selling region for Mazda, where I am located.
    After reading your post, I took a look at my area using mazdausa.com inventory search. At first I thought it was showing the same thing, only 10 Mazda6 sedans within 50 miles of me. But then I noticed all 10 were at one dealer, which did not seem too likely. I picked a dealer that had none according to the list and it then showed 10 vehicles at that dealer. I found that no matter what you do it always shows no more than 10.

Either Mazda changed that feature, or it is broken.
    According to media.mazda.com, the new Mazda6 will offer AWD. The Mazda6 (Atenza in Japan) goes on sale today in Japan. Their press release stated Mazda's electrically-controlled Active Torque Split AWD will be available. I wonder if this is a hint that we will be getting it over here?
    Old one used to have AWD too, but never made it to the States (except for Speed6). I wish they'd bring AWD wagon - Subaru has that market all for itself.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Mazda6 for US is completely different.

Japan's New Mazda Atenza Does Not Hint at 2009 Mazda 6 for U.S

I like the Euro Mazda6 and the Japanese Atenza, I suspect I'll be VERY disappointed when the US Mazda6 debut.
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    As someone who sells thse things for a living I am hugely disappointed by this news. The Atenza and 6 for the European market are stunning. :cry:
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    They've been touting the "completely different" line for months now, ever since the 6 was introduced in Europe.

It's Mazdas way of trying to keep the element of surprise for the '09 6 AFAIC. EVERY other indication, from actual NA Mazda dealers that have seen the second-gen already, to the hundreds of spy shots of NA test cars, to some of the technical details that have been leaked, tells us that the NA version will essentially be the SAME modified first-gen platform that the rest of the world uses, very similar styling (with modifications for crash standards in the US market), and a slight increase in size.

I'd wait to see/drive the car IN PERSON before I'd form an opinion on it...
    In April we will know exactly what it looks like. There is a dealer meeting in Denver, and the new Mazda6 will be showcased there.

I find it hard to believe that we have not seen a single spy pic of this vehicle undergoing testing, if in fact it looks nothing like the Euro/Japanese model. Why did we see numerous pics of the car driving around the country if we are not going to get it??

Also, why would MazdaUSA post a picture of the new Mazda6 on their site if we are not to get it?

BTY, Mazda has certification tests for all sales employees, and the 2008 Mazda6 test show pictures of the up comming Mazda6 in them.
  • harddrivetharddrivet Member Posts: 90
    I hope it has manual transmission with a clutch, good powerful air conditioning, plenty of power, good gas mileage,and no increase in price. :surprise: Does anyone know what the list price will be?
    I hope it has manual transmission with a clutch, good powerful air conditioning, plenty of power, good gas mileage,and no increase in price.

Considering Mazda does not have a CVT or DSG, I would suspect a manual tranny, possibly 6-speed, in addition to their 6 speed auto through out their lineup. The Mazda6 has always had good A/C. Fuel economy apparently has been improved with their new 2.5L as well as power. As for price, we are all still waiting.
    A little birdy told me the front end of the Mazda6 will be the same as the Euro one. It will be bigger and the rear end will be different. Other then that, basically the same thing. The new Mazda3 however, is just HOT. WOW.
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    Aviboy, is the new 3 going to be a 2009 release or will it be 2010. i am ready to buy a new 3 of course the new release.
    I have no idea when the new 3 will be out. I don't know specs either. I was privied to the design, which is just unbelievable.
  • harddrivetharddrivet Member Posts: 90
    What is the new design of the Mazda3 ? :surprise: