Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• stewie2stewie2 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, so one should ideally get a moonroof only and get speaker system from outside?
    How much did you buy the car for? Can you please breakdown the cost and let me know?
  • pats1fanpats1fan Member Posts: 18
    I have no idea what they charge for the roof alone, and again it isn't worth it to me. As far as what I paid...it was an s-plan lease so I wouldn't be of much help to you there.
  • arcadianwingsarcadianwings Member Posts: 5
    I've had my 6 iSport for three weeks now. The car had to go back for a quick fix after a small part of the dashboard insulation (that prevents two plastic pieces from rubbing against each other) was found exposed. There is also occasional rattling noise from the roofliner behind the driver side visor, mostly when going over rough pavement.

In addition, some of the interior parts seem to be loosely fitted together. My overall impression over the build quality is that it is lower than my other vehicle, a sub-$15k Nissan Versa. Adding to what little concern I have is the fact that the 6's are built in Michigan alongside Ford Mustangs.

Otherwise, this is a fun vehicle to drive -- exciting and practical at the same time, something I couldn't find in Altima or Accord. I surely hope mine will at least give me a few trouble-free years.
  • lpmillerlpmiller Member Posts: 27
    See, and compared to my Forrester, the build quality on my 6 has been better. It's a surprisingly quiet car as far as rattles go, all my trim pieces are solid, etc. I did notice a very tiny tiny flaw under the paint on the pillar over the winter, about pencil lead sized. But other then that, nothing.

I also think it's better then my wifes 08 6.

And I didn't even need any of my door handles replaced under the recall.
  • snoopy316snoopy316 Member Posts: 12
    I have had my Mazda 6 sGT for about 6 months now and I'm thinking about getting my windows tinted. Has anyone had their windows tinted on their 09 6?

About what does it cost, and how does the car look with tints. My car is black and i want to get 35% all the way around.
  • karenmb45karenmb45 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, so I bought the new Mazda6 i grand touring in Feb., and so far, other than a few fit/finish irritations, I'm loving it. ....However, today I turned on the auto sensing wipers, and the wipers worked properly for a bit, but then began going in "high" speed and wouldn't stop no matter how I turned the dial. I then lowered the arm to the "high" speed and back up, and the wipers again worked properly for a bit before engaging in high speed once again.

During the glitch with the wipers, the BSM off warning light began to flash and wouldn't go off no matter how many times I pressed the bsm button. The flashing light finally went off by itself, only to come back on shortly thereafter. It stayed on flashing for about thirty seconds, and went off again.

I did so much research before buying this car, and now I'm getting apprehensive about my purchase. I owned an old Camry before this, and had very few problems over 18yrs. of ownership.

Does anyone know what could have caused the glitch, and do you offer any solutions?? Thanks...
  • millertime99millertime99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a black 2009 Mazda6. I got 35% on the door windows and 20% in the back. Looks great. I live in Los Angeles and it ran me $165 for all 5 windows.
  • darkmanrob85darkmanrob85 Member Posts: 30
    Mine is black with 35% tint all over. It looks dope. My girl got it done for me thou so idk how much it cost. Just go to a reputable tint shop and you should be straight.
    Oh sweet, im glad there is someone out there that did their windows too..
    Can you post a picture of your car? Im curious on how it looks.

Also, do the tints effect the auto dimming mirrors? I was concerned that when i tinted my windows, my outside mirrors would no long dim. I guess it doesnt matter thou.. cause my windows would be tinted.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    ...Outside mirrors...

Shouldn't affect them at all. The mirrors react to the light that hits them. The tint on the windows doesn't affect headlight glare from behind the car hitting the outside mirrors.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Has anyone seen (or purchased) a Mazda6 'Touring' with Convenience Package? The Convenience Package replaces the standard cloth seats with cloth/leather combination. In theory, it sounds like a great alternative for folks like me who aren't fond of full leather interiors. I wish they were heated (like the leather seats in the Grand Touring models), but that's a minor issue.

Any thoughts/opinions on the combo seat trim?
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    Does anyone else find the 17" alloy wheel design unappealing? It looks very similar to the 16" wheel cover on i SV/Sport models.

The 18" alloys on the s Touring/Grand Touring fit the look and size of the car perfectly, IMO. The 17" doesn't have a lot of open space, which the 18" does. The 17" alloys from the Mazda3 s would look very sharp on the MZ6 instead!
  • 4rman4rman Member Posts: 30
    I am very much interested in finding out from new owners if your Insurance rates went up with Mazda 6? Trying to understand why my agent claims my rates will go up by about $20 a month even though my current car when new, is about 8K more than a Mazda 6.

I would really appreciate any responses... Thanks. :confuse:
  • scsethscseth Member Posts: 7
    My rates went down ~$100/6 months from a 2006 Acura TL (Progressive Insurance)
    My insurance also went up approx $30/mo in a very similar situation. The 2 claims the insurance company made to me were...That although they are aware that the final safety rating set for the Mazda was the highest it could be, the data wasn't there when they set the rate and it wasn't given a high rating (therefore higher cost). Even after this acknowlegement, they refused to allow me to challenge it and told me I would have to wait for my renewal in a year to realize a decrease. Sencondly, although my prior vehicle was purchased at significantly more $, the replacement parts for the Mazda would be more costly than my other car. For every question I asked, I received a lot of uncomfortable silence before I got an answer. I conclude that I am just getting scre#$%.
  • runningdocrunningdoc Member Posts: 32
    Yes, I have a Mazda 6 Touring with the convenience package. I like the seat trim and have no complaints. We got a tan interior, with a black trim, and the color combo of the black and tan looks nice. Other pluses included the blind spot monitoring, the dual climate control, and bluetooth. Also, like the Xeon lights...
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    A couple months ago I called my agent and received quotes for a number of vehicles...the Mazda 6 was one of the highest (VW CC lowest); State Farm.

The overall price wasn't very significant and didn't influence my decision.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    The premium you pay will always be higher on a new vehicle than one a model year or two old given all the same other factors.

Things like what you paid, crash test data, etc. are not usually factored separately, they are already figured into the "symbol" for that car, and mostly based on loss experience of that model based on VIN.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    I'm leaning toward the 6ST with Conv. pkg. myself, and the seats are nicely done IMO. I'm not a big leather seat fan, but the combination is appealing to me. Heated seats IMO are needed with leather, especially in the climate I live in, but I still wouldn't use them anyway, another plus for me.

The other options with the package are nice to have as well...
  • rj_atlrj_atl Member Posts: 4
    It sounds like you need a new insurance company. My cost only went up $10 a month compared to a 2002 honda accord exV6 sedan (~$70-$80).

Insurance companies often have index levels for different liability categories. i have progressive, and it has a collision, a comprehensive, and a bodily injury for each car. My 09 mazda6 scored well in the collision and bodily injury, and very well in the comprehensive (because they're not targeted to steal as often). The bodily injury index is also much better than my CRV, probably because the CRV often has children in it, raising the chance of injury in a crash. the collision is simply higher because the insurance company has a greater liability due to the greater value of the car.

Truth is that you should really shop your policy every couple years, because the insurance companies are always trying to get new customers, and may be evaluating your risk profile differently. It sounds like your current company isn't evaluating you correctly now.
    I would highly recommend getting some quotes from other insurance companies! You can change insurance companies any time, not just when your policy expires. Unitrin Direct gave me the best rate on my Mazda3 and I cancelled my GEICO policy mid-term.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    We switched companies recently and it made a huge difference. Reduced total cost of insurance on 5 vehicles by about 30%. Most of the savings was on the rate for the youngest driver in the house...a 19 year old male. But even mine went down by a significant percentage, though dollar difference was not all that much, since my rate is only about $25 per month (that's with $1000 deductible but also $500,000 liabilty).
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I'm leaning toward the 6ST with Conv. pkg. myself

Gen an '09 then. Mazda is eliminating the Conv. Pkg for 2010. Mazda is also altering many features and levels of trim. The new trim levels are as follows:

Mazda6 i SV, i Sport, i Touring, i Touring Plus, s Touring Plus, s GT.

No 6-speed mtx on i GT's.

There are so many changes, all to do with content. All trims lose content except a Grand Touring w/ tech package (new for 2010). I will post once I carefully read through the spec sheet.

Mazda is doing this to reduce the cost of the Mazda6. IMO, Mazda has been losing sales because the Mazda6 with all the features it has costs more then a Camry or Accord. I have seen frist hand people tell me all day "Well, I know the Mazda is more of a car, but I can get an Accord for $XX,XXX which is $X,XXX less then the Mazda6. I'm buying the Accord"
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    There are so many changes, all to do with content. All trims lose content except a Grand Touring w/ tech package (new for 2010). I will post once I carefully read through the spec sheet.

Please do, since a new car isn't in the cards for me until a year from now at the earliest...
    Sorry for the delay, but, here you go...

Mazda6 i SV:

Stays the same (carpet floor mats deleted as standard content)

Mazda6 i Sport:

Adds retractable key, remote keyless entry, cruise control, Steering wheel mounted controls.

Mazda6 i Touring:

17" alloy wheels, 215/55 R17 V-rated a/s tires, Fog lights, 8-way power driver's seat, Center console sliding armrest with dual storage, Leather-trimmed steering wheel, Leather-trimmed shift knob, Premium trim, In-dash 6-disc CD changer, Trip computer.

Mazda6 i Touring Plus:

Power moonroof, Ground illumination, Electroluminescent gauges, Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio operations, Global open/close function (front windows), Carpeted floor mats and cargo mat, Anti-theft security system, Blind spot monitoring system

Mazda6 i Grand Touring:

Leather-trimmed seats, Heated front seats, Dual zone automatic climate control, Bose audio system, Welcome lighting system.

Mazda6 s Touring Plus:

Chrome dual exhaust finishers, 17" alloy wheels, 215/55 R17 V-rated a/s tires,
    Power moonroof, Ground illumination, Electroluminescent gauges, Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio operations, Global open/close function (front windows), Carpeted floor mats and cargo mat, Anti-theft security system, Blind spot monitoring system.

Mazda6 s Grand Touring:

18" alloy wheels, P235/45 R18 W-rated a/s tires, Leather-trimmed seats, Heated front seats, Dual zone automatic climate control, Bose audio system, Welcome lighting system.

Technology Package (available on GT models):

Auto on/off headlights, Mazda advanced keyless entry system, Push button start, Auto-dimming exterior mirrors, Heated mirrors, Auto-dimming interior mirror, Homelink system, Sirius satellite radio, Multi Information Display (audio & Bluetooth), Xenon headlights, LED rear combination lights, Driver's seat memory, Passenger power seat, Rain sensing wipers.

Moonroof & Bose Pkg deleted

Convenience Pkg deleted

6-speed manual on i GT deleted

Smokestone color deleted

Now that I look at it, it seems that the changes were needed. Was it nice to have all those features standard/offered? Yeah, but, in reality, people wanted those features for free and didn't want to pay. Now, Mazda gives you the choice of either having a comparable equipped car to Honda/Toyota/Nissan at a similar or less price, but, if you want the added content those manufacturers do not offer, you can pay for it. Price has not been announced, however, I know this was don't to reduce cost, and be more competitive price wise. I think it's smart.
  • smallcarsmallcar Member Posts: 39
    Are those changes for the 2010 model? When is that due?
  • maxamillion85maxamillion85 Member Posts: 78
    What about Color combinations? Are the manual transmission models only going to be available in the Red, Gray, Silver and Black colors for 2010? I stopped by my local dealership in Spartanburg, SC a while back and I noticed they have two stick shift Mazda6 models...a dark burgandy one and a "smokestone" one...both are used...and both are manuals. Strange. :confuse: Can you elborate on that for me Aviboy?

I guess if i want a loaded Touring or Grand Touring with a stick shift I'd better act before all the 09s are gone...or else get an Accord b/c I don't want an Automatic GT and I'm not crazy about the cloth inside the Mazda6.
    Yes, those are the preliminary changes for 2010. It is subject to change. The car won't be available until roughly August.
    Moonroof/Bose is being deleted? So the Grand Touring trim level will be the only way to get the Bose stereo?

What about the cloth/leather combination trim, is it a goner, too?
    unless its part of the Touring Plus trim level I'd say yes....

Looks like if I want a "Premium" Mazda6 with a stick shift I'd best head out and get a 09 6.
    The '08 i Grand Touring was automatic only, wasn't it?

In all fairness, I'd be willing to bet that the '09 i Grand Touring had the lowest 'take' rate on the 6MT. It still surprises me that Honda offers the Accord EX-L with the 5MT. 2008 was the last year you could get a Ford Fusion SEL 4-cylinder with the 5MT, too.

I just keep imagining how much fun a 6-speed manual would be with the 3.7L V6 in the MZ6 s models! I doubt I'll ever see that happen, though.

While they're shaking everything up, I wonder if they might redesign the 17" alloy wheel pattern? Am I the only one that just really doesn't like it? Especially compared to the gorgeous 18" on the s Touring and Grand Touring!
    Especially compared to the gorgeous 18" on the s Touring and Grand Touring!

I agree about the design. Those 18" alloys are beautiful!! However, if you read my post a little closer, you will see that the 18"s are now reserved for the s GT only...bummer...

If the 17" design were the same as the 18", I would be thrilled....but....we are stuck with the "Snow Flake" ones...
    To be honest I never paid much attention to the previous generation Mazda6 after say MY2005. Didn't like the facelift and by that time I'd already bought my Altima, but I do get your point about the lack of manual transmissions on upper level trim levels.

I'm not crazy about the 16s or 17s on the Mazda6. I'd be inclined to go aftermarket or see what kind of deal I could get on the 18s at the dealer.
    I was disappointed when Mazda stopped offering the 3.0L V6 with the 5-speed manual. It seemed rather anti-"Zoom-Zoom" at the time.

They introduced the MAZDASPEED6 with 6-speed manual at about the same time...hardly a coincidence! They didn't want the V6/manual to steal any SPEED6 sales!

On new mid-size sedans, the Altima SE is the only major player offering a manual with V6! I'd love to see the 272hp 3.7L V6 in the '09 Mazda6 s offered with a 6-speed manual....it'll never happen, though...

Honda really surprised me when they introduced the Accord EX V6 6MT Sedan in '06! I recently ran across an '07 with 20k miles for about $3k under TMV and it was tempting.
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    Thanks for posting all this information.

So the S Sport model is gone? Only the S Touring Plus and S Grand Touring remain?

The push-button start is not available on the S Touring Plus, and only with the Technology Package on the S GT?

Moonroof is standard on both S models?

Thanks.
  • chriso5chriso5 Member Posts: 8
    I noticed that my driver's armrest has an indentation in it where I rest my elbow during driving.

I only have a little over 1100 some miles and haven't driven it in a 3 days. You can't see it much, but if you rub your fingers over it the depression is certainly there. I realize this is a minor issue, however I am concerned what it will be like in another 10,000 miles.

Does anyone else have this?

Thank you.
  • fliegerflieger Member Posts: 14
    I have 4k on mine and no such issue. You may as well get it fixed while it is under warranty.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    I went with hankook w409 winter i pike snow tires on 17" maxim wheels couple of weeks ago. Snow handling of these tires is awesome. We had about 6 inches of snow today and my 6 went up my un-plowed steep driveway with ease! Amazing what a difference snow tires can make! These tires also have decent dry handling and pretty quiet on highway driving. Very happy with them so far.

I have the exact same tires on MY RX-8 that I drive in northern winters, and have had no problems in snow as deep as 7".

That's saying a lot since the RX-8 is low profile and rear wheel drive.

When I say no problems, I mean none - the iPikes are amazing.
  • chriso5chriso5 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for checking your armrest Flieger.

** Could others please check their driver's armrest by "feeling" it for an indentation from your elbow? Mine has one and it never goes away, even if I don't drive it for days.

I sure would appreciate the feedback.
  • aray3aray3 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2009 Mazda 6 I touring with the 2.5 4 cyclinder, and it only has about 300 miles on it. I noticed today while driving that the transmission was jerking while in stop and go traffic on the highway.

Is anyone familiar with this? Should I be doing something about it? or is it normal?

Thanks for the help.
  • fliegerflieger Member Posts: 14
    I have the same car as you. Now that i have > 4000 miles on it, i noticed that the engine performs better, and the transmission is not so jerky anymore. However, in stop-and-go traffic, flooring the gas pedal will still cause some jerkiness. It may just be the nature of this type transmission.
    It should improve over time.
    I recommend putting 3-4k miles on it and see how it feels.
  • waterbuck1waterbuck1 Member Posts: 11
    I am close to buying a Mazda6 iTouring.

I tested the base model speakers and thought they buzzed a bit, although they were not awful.

Getting Bose speakers would be nice, but with the moonroof (which I don't need), it's rather pricey, as a $1500 add-on.

I am not the kind of person who can wire up speakers myself.

The question is what to do:

a) go with the Bose/Moonroof package for better sound, at the price of $1500 extra or whatever,

b) take the car to some audio shop and ask for installation of "high quality speakers" (I don't know if the average shop knows what is safe to install on this system, and I don't really know what an "improvement" in audio quality would cost---can anyone make a suggestion here?)

c) Stay with the basic speakers that come with the base model and perhaps swap in better speakers when audio shops get more familiar with the 2009 Mazda 6.

By the way, I posted this separate, but if anyone has an opinion on whether the iPod integration module adds sound quality vs using the aux input, let me know.
  • waterbuck1waterbuck1 Member Posts: 11
    Hi-
    I'm close to guying a Mazda 6 iTouring (2009) with Convenience Package.
    I wasn't planning on Navigation package.
    I do use an iPod a lot.

Adding the iPod integration unit in would cost extra.
    Does it sound much better than using the auxiliary-in jack?

I read several posts saying that this works well if you have a Navigation system but leads to greater difficulty controlling the iPod in non-nav cars, because you are compelled to control the iPod through the vehicle, but you can't really skip through the menus easily.

Do you agree?

Thanks
    waterbuck1
    :confuse:
    The upgrade to the Bose audio system is much more extensive than simply installing Bose speakers in place of the standard units. The head-unit (built into the dash) is upgraded with an amplifier and subwoofer. The base stereo also has only 6 speakers, while the Bose system has 10 speakers.

The Moonroof & Bose upgrade will work in your favor at trade-in time, so I say go for it!
  • nissenisse Member Posts: 1
    I also would like to know how to improve the audio quality from the standard system installed in my new 2009 Mazda 6. Unfortunatley the Bose system was not an available option for my model which is called Advance.
    Now I have driven the car for one week and cannot accept the low-fi performance of the built in audio system. No clarity of sound at all.

Perhaps it can be possible to add two tweeter loudspekers on the dashboard in some way plus a filter between the tweeter and the standard loudspeaker.
    Anybody got a suggestion ?
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    When I got my 6i GT in November (8000 miles now) I had the CD changer dealer installed. It worked just fine until the weather started to warm up this past few months and now when each CD gets to about the 5th or 6th track, the music breaks up and that CD won't play any more except for the first 5 or 6 tracks. When I change to the next CD, all is well until it gets to about the same point. But each CD will play OK the next time I use the car, IF I jump right to the 7th or 8th track. This does not happen consistently which is why I've delayed going back to the dealer. I am waiting until it becomes so consistent that I can drive into the dealer's shop and demonstrate the problem to them. Has anyone had this kind of a problem yet?

Regarding a comment I made months ago re: using fog lights without the headlights, I have owned 3 or 4 other cars where the fogs could be used with just the parking lights, not the headlights. It is not uncommon.
    Conversely, I wish there were a way to build cars so that the fogs could NOT be turned on unless it were actually FOGGY.. Many cars have "fog lights" which are in reality "driving lights" which do not have the flat beam cutoff that good fog lights have such as on the Mazda6 and the Mercedes I traded toward my Mazda6. Those other "fog lights" are tend to blind oncoming drivers and are used indiscriminately by too many drivers. Besides, most states ban "driving lights" on roadways and restrict them to off-road activities. (Just had to do a little venting..!)

:):):)
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Agree totally. Seems to be a problem with the male of the species especially when driving big 4X4 trucks. It's kind of like the plumage that male birds show off to attract a mate. Sad thing is that in the human species this only attracts shallow females. If the attraction becomes a union and offspring result it just adds to the problem.
    Does anyone have the Bose Audio system in the 2009 Mazda6? I'd be interested to hear any opinions from those who have it...

The Bose system in the 2010 Mazda3 is a bit disappointing, as far as upgrades go. The standard audio system in the "s" models is quite good, for a standard setup. The Bose upgrade just doesn't seem to improve sound quality or volume significantly, IMO. I'll probably end up getting it (if I decide to buy another MZ3 instead of the MZ6) because it's packaged with the moonroof, which I want.

Anyone care to share?
    I have it, and I can sum it up in one word, "shallow." The speaker system is unimpressive at best. If you enjoy clear, crisp, music with any base whatsoever, you will disappointed. If I could do it over again, I would have skipped the moon and tune and put in an after market system for less money.
    I have a 2009 mazda 6 with bose and i think it sounds great. I wish it went a little bit louder, however, besides that it sounds awesome. It has clean crisp audio, plenty of bass.

If your listening to FM radio, then yea it might not sound great. Throw a new CD in the 6 disc changer, it makes all the difference.