Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• fliegerflieger Member Posts: 14
    I have the '09 Mazda 6 with the Bose/Moonroof package, and I am very happy with it. As a musician, i care about good sound quality, and this system has it. It is very clear in all frequencies, has a lot of power, and is well balanced throughout the car.
    The only improvement I wish for is an integrated iPod controller.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    The sound quality from the Bose is good, but like the others said, it does not get loud. In other words I wish the volume can be increased. But it is clear. Note that because of the size of the car, the rear passengers get a better sound from the rear speakers. The only reason I got it is because it is packaged with the push button start, and bluetooth here in Canada. On its own, it would not be worth it.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I've never understood why Mazda has such differences in the trim levels and option packages between the US and Canadian markets! For example, you guys (Canada) only have four trim levels of the Mazda6- GS I-4, GT I-4, GS V6 and GT V6...compared to seven trim levels here. The Canadian GT I-4 even has the 18" alloy wheels standard- not offered on ANY 4-cylinder MZ6 in the US! :(

It's much the same with the Mazda3. In Canada, the 5-door can be had with the 2.0L or 2.5L engine. In the US, all 5-doors are 2.5L 's' models.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    We have had our Mazda 6s GT for 6 weeks and have put 3,000 miles on it including a 1,200 mile road trip vacation. The car is certainly a comfortable cruiser. Cruising 80 mph for 6 hours on the interstate was comfortable and not nearly as tiring as the old Dodge Intrepid was. I really enjoyed the satelite radio on the trip and the nav worked flawlessly over 7 days through 5 states. Being able to open the sunroof and front windows remotely from the fob was nice on hot days when the car sat parked in the sun. We got 27 mph with the cruise set at 75 mph on the flat Illinois interstates. Through the entire week, I only saw 2 other 2009 Mazda 6's on the road.
  • ianmaticianmatic Member Posts: 10
    I had the car since December, and have found the inteior quality of the 6 to be poor. The driver side area behind the visor keeps rattling when going over bumpy roads, so does the center console. Also found rattling noise where the seat belt is hinged. The problem is getting worse and worse. thinking of taking it in but afarid they will not do anything about it. Anyone else having this problem?
    I have an '09 Mazda 6s Grand Touring. We have had it for only 3 months and have 3,000 miles.

I have noted no problems with the interior so far. Everything is tight and quiet. What trim level do you have?
  • fliegerflieger Member Posts: 14
    Sorry to hear that. Rattling is one of the most annoying things in a car.
    I have the '09 with convenience pkg/moonroof, and have no rattling noises at all (7k miles).
    I would have this issue fixed asap under warranty.

Christoph
    I have the 09 I Touring model
    Yeh i will have the dealer look at all the problem. if they cant fix it hopefully i can swap for a speed6! that would be sweet. thanks for the input guys
  • pats1fanpats1fan Member Posts: 18
    Sure do. Have a very annoying rattle from the center console. I would also consider taking it in if I didn't know it would be a complete waste of time.
  • chriso7chriso7 Member Posts: 34
    I have an I Touring with conv pkg, ~ 1800 miles. I have heard a few times a rattle above the driver's sun visor. However I have been noticing a more persistent "clicking" type noise (one click for each bump in road) coming from the center air vents, then after so many of those clicks it changes to a rattle whether moving or not. Pressing down on the "shelf" above the vents seems to stop it for awhile and pushing up the overhang of the readout display also helped it go away today.

Do any of you use the drivers door armrest? The indentation from my elbow NEVER goes away, even if I don't use it. You can't see it so much due to the thick vinyl covering but rubbing you fingers over it you definitely feel it. Does anyone have this problem too? :(
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,875
    Do any of you use the drivers door armrest? The indentation from my elbow NEVER goes away, even if I don't use it.

Funny you should mention this. I was thinking about it today and reached over and ran my hand along the arm rest. There is a small indentation where I rest my elbow at times. I also must say that it really doesn't bother me.

I've had my 6s GT since October and not a rattle, squeek, gurgle, or click anywhere.

I am having the passenger rear door handle replaced on Tuesday from the recall.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

Yeh i wonder what the dealership would actually do to fix the center console rattle problem. i have a feeling they will just ignore it and gave me an bs excuse. I shall keep you guys updated on tha stats.
    I got mine in October too. I wonder if the earlier production models had a wrong formula of foam made?

The last 5 digits of my VIN are 3XXXX. I noticed on earlier produced cars at my purchase time that the 3 was a 1 or 2. Does anyone else have the armrest indentation??
  • ZoomZoom6GTZoomZoom6GT Member Posts: 2
    Got the same rattle noise checked out during a service appointment a couple of weeks ago. They initially denied any rattle whatsoever - said they went for a drive and didn't hear anything - which I know was a complete lie as I checked my mileage before giving the car in.Anyways, they finally agreed to take a look and gave me another appointment.

It took them 3 hours to do the job. The mechanic had no idea what he was doing - I had to go in and tell them exactly what the issue was. They did some patch up work on the console with some sealant and it seemed fine for the first couple of days, but now the rattling seems to be back.

I'm at the point where I want them to change the console, but I am waiting as they scratched my stereo while removing the console so not too sure I want to go through that again. I'm also starting to have some rattling in the rear of the car, not sure if it's from the roof or from the entire plastic rear.

Let us know if they actually change your centre console and if it makes a difference.
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    I've had my GT since last Sept and I haven't heard a single rattle or squek yet in my car either. But I'm having an obnoxious stench issue in the car - this has happened like 2 or 3 times in the last week. The odor is quite bad, is emanating from the ac vents and when it comes on it stays for a while. Has anyone else faced this - this isn't going to be easily reproducible so don't think I have a chance of "showing" it to the dealer.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    This (smells like a) is a common problem that affects certain models of car, especially if you use the a/c's automatic setting. My theory is it's from parking the car with leftover moisture inside the a/c. Sometimes it smells like old gym socks (and plastic cement) in a closed plastic bag. Peeew.

It is possible your evaporator drain is not effective, connected, or plugged, however stinky a/c most commonly comes from the a/c pulling a lot of moisture from the air, and then parked and the moisture is allowed to brew. If the evap drain is not working, after a long drive you might notice puddles on the passenger side under the a/c evaporator cowling.

If I'm careful I can avoid the smelly a/c in my Lexus RX. But if I leave it on cold or automatic with the compressor engaged and the vent closed ("recirc") it develops the plastic gym socks smell I don't care for. Try shutting off the compressor with the fan still on for the last minute before you park, leave the a/c exterior vent open (opposite of recirc?) and cracking the sunroof or window, so the moisture drys up a little and can vent. Let us know if it works or not, or what does.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,875
    No strange odors here in my Mazda.

Some BMW owners say they have a similar smell from the climate control at times. I never did.

la4mead has excellent suggestions to try.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• SeegarzSeegarz Member Posts: 11
    Odd that I just ran across this post. I experienced a similar hesitation while driving just this AM. I must have been in a daze... i noticed the hesitation going on about about every 10 secs for a few minutes and what was wondering WTF!! i just spent two weeks getting the right front bumper bracket replaced. i was getting PO'd to say the least. I looked at the dash, the low fuel indicator was lit up yellow, i flipped to the fuel remaining indicator on the dash which read zero. Luckily, after a few more nervous minutes I made it to the nearest gas station. i took 17.1 gallons. Yeh Mazda!!
    I have a dodge Ram that smells like a wet dog after it has been driven in the rain. The remedy is to park it in the garage with the windows down for a night and let it dry out. Then the stench goes away. Something in the fresh air ducting just doesn't drain correctly but the dealer has never been able to figure it out.
  • lpmillerlpmiller Member Posts: 27
    I have almost 13,000 miles on my 6, which I got at the end of august last year, and the only real rattle I have is when the wife doesn't put the seat belt back. It's been the most solid car I've ever owned, and I've logged a lot of miles in it.
    I noticed a smell running the AC the other week. It didn't last long but did smell bad. I always run my fan without compressor on for a at least two minutes before shutting the car off. I read that helped dry up any condensation. I run the fan using the recirculate or inside air only. I only have a few thousand miles on it and will be watching to see if it occurs again.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    The 2010 Mazda6 Touring Plus with V6 will have 17 inch wheels standard, with 18 inch wheels only for Grand Touring.

I would think the 17 inch wheels on the V6 would give a somewhat less firm (some would say less harsh) ride. I think I would prefer that size myself, with its wider profile than the 18 inch wheels. Thoughts?

I may have to wait until the 2010 models arrive..
    Upgrading your stereo system is one of the easiest things in the world. And a little bit of money goes a long way in the stereo upgrade marketplace. Go down to your local car stereo shop and see what they recommend. The main thing is to hide the upgrade so that it still looks factory. You can keep the original head unit and just upgrade speakers , amp and subwoofer.

I upgraded my Honda Accord stereo with JBL speakers, bazooka sub woofer, amp, etc.,, but to look at it, it still looks like a factory system, which helps in re-sale. It sounds great, btw.
    Not correct. The 17" wheels carry 215 mm tires. The 18's are 235's. With a car this large, the wider 18's offer better grip and are more up to the task of the V6.
    Reliability

The 2009 Mazda Mazda6 reliability score of 4.0 out of 10 is the Predicted Reliability rating provided by J.D. Power and Associates. This score is based on trending the past three years of historical initial quality and dependability data from J.D. Power's automotive studies, specifically the Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) and the Initial Quality Study (IQS).

Mazda protects buyers with a three-year or 36,000-mile limited warranty. The powertrain is also covered for five years or 60,000 miles. Though most midsize cars come with a corrosion warranty as well, Mazda doesn't offer one. Interestingly, Mazdas had a 4-year/50,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty, but that was reduced with the 2007 model year. Why would they get rid of that for?

I recently test-drove the V6 Grand Touring , and was very impressed with its power and ride quality. And all of the features in that model, which you don't expect to see in a Mazda. I do have some problems with the Mazda reputation for reliability and quality, which is below average.

In reading some of the comments on this board, I am seeing a lot of reports of rattles, and paint peeling, etc. That hurts re-sale of course. Are most people happy that they got the Mazda9? I guess the first year of a model is always the most problematical. I expect there to be a huge discount of these cars come October. I would like to buy the V6, but they will have to lower the price to generate a lot of interest in the leftover cars.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    When they reduced the b-t-b warranty from 4 years to 3, they increased the power train from 4 years to 5. I was shopped when both 206 and 2007 model years and bought a 2007, to me the warranty change was a non-issue, I'd just as soon have the extra year on the power train instead of 4 years for everything.
    Hyundai and Kia give you five years bumper to bumper, and ten years on the drivetrain, and look what has happened to their sales recently. Through the roof. It also shows that they stand behind their product.
    Misubishi also has the same warranty.

If the length of the standard warranty is what you care most about, then I guess you should buy a Hyundai, Kia, or Mitsubishi. image
    It would make me more comfortable to have a longer warranty. I guess I could pay extra for an extended warranty.

Have you had good reliability with the Mazda6?
    Mine is the prior version, so would have little to do with how the new one is. in addition to being a completely different design, it was the last year for that design while it is the first year for the 2009. I also have only 20,000 miles on mine,

But...the only warranty repair so far is I had a check engine light once, which was (I think) a purge valve that was replaced. They also updated the ECU one time, when I said it seemed like the automatic shifted too early under light acceleration and this change also seemed to fix a problem with the A/C cutting out at idle with the brakes on.
    For fun, I checked the price of a top of the line Hyundai Sonata with Leather, moonroof,
    Infiniti stereo, bluetooth, fully loaded V6 is selling now for $21,529, with rebates.

The comparable Grand Touring V6 is at $26,483.

And of course a 3 year warranty vs. a 5 year warranty.

Mazda6 sales are down 50 percent from last year, and that was with the old model that was on its way out. Mazda will have to cut their prices I think to compete in this very competitve segment. The consumers have spoken.
    That is a big price differential, if it reflects actual selling prices.

At the time I bought my 2007, which is on pretty much the other end of the trim spectrum, I got a total discount with all rebates of about $5000 and price (bought for about $16,000) was pretty comparable to the equivalent Sonata.
    Mazda6 s Touring Plus: $26,450
    Chrome dual exhaust finishers, 17" alloy wheels, 215/55 R17 V-rated a/s tires, Power moonroof, Ground illumination, Electroluminescent gauges, Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio operations, Global open/close function (front windows), Carpeted floor mats and cargo mat, Anti-theft security system, Blind spot monitoring system.

Mazda6 s Grand Touring: $28,390
    18" alloy wheels, P235/45 R18 W-rated a/s tires, Leather-trimmed seats, Heated front seats, Dual zone automatic climate control, Bose audio system, Welcome lighting system.

The 2010 Mazda6 s will give you a choice of 17 or 18 inch wheels. I honestly think that that the 17 inch tires might give you a better less bumpy ride than the 18 inch version. It may not handle as well on the racetrack, but for day to day driving, the 17s might be more comfortable. That has been my experience, anyway. Some reviews have said that the 18 inch low-profile tires give too firm of a ride, feeling every road imperfection. ..
  • aspen8aspen8 Member Posts: 5
    Hello to all:
    Let me say that part of the reason Mazda 6 sales are down is because Mazda cut back on production due to lessing of demand. My dealer told me just a few weeks ago that they cannot get enough cars to sell until Mazda revs up production. What I am saying now is the damand has gotten stronger, there are very few on the lot because they are now flying out the door.

Also: I bought my Comet Mazda 6 last September and have had zero problems with 8400 miles on the car so far. It is very solid, no rattles, nothing wrong.
    The only thing was a false light telling me the tire pressure was low, but the sensor never came on again and I never checked the pressure. Just a fluke.

To be quite honest, If I had to buy the car again, I would 100% do it. The 4 cyl is plenty power for around the Baltimore and surrounding areas. When increased power is needed, it really gives the power necessary.

My only, and I mean only negative would be the harshness of the rides. I am told this just might be the tires, not sure. But overall, my wife and I really do love this car.
    I don't think that dealers are going to want to order any more 2009 models this late in the summer, so inventory of the 4-cylinders could be quite low. Also the i version of the Mazda6 is eligible for Cash for Clunkers, so I bet people will be snapping those up very rapidly.

However, the six-cylinder is a very hard sell in this economy and with the mediocre gas mileage it gives. I have a feeling that those are going to be difficult to clear. It is unusual when a car company lowers the prices of the next model year, so Dealers will have their work cut out for them in terms of clearance sales.

Glad to hear your experience with your new car is a good one! If the only problem you have had is with one tire pressure warning, this is very good indeed!!!
  • ncmazda6ncmazda6 Member Posts: 8
    I have 35,000 miles on my 2009 mazda6 i.....the problems I had was the fuel gauge stop working and they had to replace the belt.
    I've come to the conclusion that the Mazda6 may be too large for my needs. I am single, so don't have a lot of passengers in the back seat. Am now thinking of getting a late mode Honda Accord V6 Coupe instead.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    If you're going to do the single guy coupe thing...I find G37's for under $30k (autotrader).

Agreed, it is a very nice large car.
  • maxamillion85maxamillion85 Member Posts: 78
    so I see the 2010 Mazda6 pricing is up on certain websites...and I've noticed that the I GT is unavailable with a manual but I've also noticed that the only models available with the stick shift are the i SV, Sport and Touring. The Touring Plus is automatic only too...so that means I can't get a Mazda6 with a sunroof and a stick. I'm sad :( the Touring doesn't have any available options...its basically a Sport with Alloys :(
    if what you say is accurate, just jump on a 2009 . . their price will keep going down as the weeks go on . .
  • jmoneyfhjmoneyfh Member Posts: 2
    The problem is that the only remaining 09's have manual transmissions. Talking to the salesman, I guess they have a crapload of those all over the country but no autos. The 2010 appears to be the exact same car, right down to the ugly (IMO) zebra pattern on the cloth seat and console. I was hoping they would change that.

Basically a 2010 model has different packages but is the same car with less discounts. What is the point of buying one right now?
    the person I was responding to only wanted a manual transmission. I think there are quite a few v6 left over, too.
  • jmoneyfhjmoneyfh Member Posts: 2
    Oh, I know. I was complaining more for myself as I am in the market for a car as well. Personally, I would want an automatic and the V6's gas mileage would not be good enough for me. I test drove a '2010' the other day and it wasn't any different than the '2009' I test drove a month ago. Except in price I guess. :(
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I just checked on the MazdaUSA website (using the 'Search Inventory' function) and found-

31- 2009 Mazda6 i Touring AT
    49- 2009 Mazda6 i Sport AT
    54- 2009 Mazda6 i Grand Touring AT

All within 250 miles of Atlanta (my location)....so it looks like there are still quite a few 2009 models with automatic transmission here in the Southeaat! :)
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    if you want a good deal, you will probably have to wait until cash for clunkers is over with. I would say buy at the end of September or October would be better.
  • t_ridert_rider Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a 09 i Touring w/ automatic and convenience package. Do you think $20,700 before TTL is a good price?

Secondly, my current car (Accord) has been so problem-free I feel spoiled by it. In 8 years it has needed only 1 unscheduled repair, and it remains rattle-free to this day. Am I going to be disappointed by the Mazda6's reliability, fit and finish given this experience?
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    Bay Area mazda dealers are offering $7,000 MSRP on the remaining 2009 Mazda6 inventory...is this a good price?
  • gpb59gpb59 Member Posts: 106
    Do any of the 2009 MAzda 6 models come with the ipod interface thru usb port?
  • scsethscseth Member Posts: 7
    There are 3 ways you can use your iPod with a Mazda6,

1) Opt for the ipod dock. This addon is a built-in USB interface that will display song/artist titles on the radio display when playing ipod music.
    2) A headphone mini jack inside middle console. Just need a mini to mini cord, works with any MP3 player, but doesnt display song titles.
    3) Bluetooth. If you have a bluetooth-enabled MP3 Player, opt for bluetooth in the car. The Mazda6 supports wirelessly streaming music to the radio and display song/artist titles on the radio display besides hands-free phone use.

FWIW, I use option 3 with my iphone rather than getting the dock and have been pretty happy about it.