Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

1383940414244»

Comments

• microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Not only Ford and GM who need to be told about this issue, but in my experience also Mercedes and Chrysler... But DON'T tell them..!! Let's convince the others to separate the fogs from the headlights... ;););)

How could I have forgotten about "blinding" snow and headlights vs. fog lights ?? I've been driving in NE for more than 40 years !!!! Yes, snow is even worse than fog and most cars I've owned with fog lights work quite well.. Must be because they had factory installed fogs ??

Would you care to give some hints on what needs to be done with the wiring to separate the fogs from the headlights on your '04 Mazda6 to see if it translates to my '09 Mazda6 ?? :D
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    edited June 2010
    After 6 great years and 92K miles, it was time to move on from my '04 Mazda6. So after months of test-drives, the finalists were the '10 Mazda6S GT and the Fusion Sport.

Mazda 6
    - The 272-HP V6 is simply a gem. Smooth, quiet idle, but throaty and aggressive when pushed. Power is both abundant and intoxicating, and the 6-speed works well with it.
    - Interior that's IMO one of the best-in-class in terms of layout, fit-and-finish, and quality of materials (and miles ahead of my '04).
    - Available features (HIDs, LED tails, memory seats, Bluetooth, Homelink, etc.)
    - Still handles and drives like it's on rails.
    - Size has grown, but it's roomier in the back seat, and the trunk is huge!

Ford Fusion Sport
    - The 3.5L is also very smooth and has plenty of power.
    - SYNC. 'Nuff said.
    - Impressive interior, with nice materials and good fit-and-finish. The center stack is a little busy, but controls can be easily memorized after a few drives.
    - Back-up camera is cool.
    - Ride and handling is also one of the best-in-class (but IMO one notch below the 6).
    - Exterior styling is nicely aggressive and sporty, similar to my 1st-gen 6.

After going back and forth for a week straight, I choose the 6. I still contend that the Fusion Sport is an excellent choice in this segment for a "sporty" midsize sedan, and the features, powertrain, and overall quality are top-notch. But in the end, the 6 still felt more tied down when cornering, the interior is immaculate, and after 6 trouble-free years and 92K with my last Mazda (only needing a new fuel filler cap), I'll gladly take another one without hesitation.

So I picked one up last Thursday. It's a 6S GT, Brilliant Silver Metallic with black leather, with Tech package (HIDs, keyless start, auto-dimming and heated mirrors, driver's seat memory, etc.). Have already put over 300 miles on it, and I've been loving every minute of it!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    edited June 2010
    greyghost-

Congratulations on your new 6!!

I say to myself almost every day that the second gen Mazda6 is way too over looked, especially in regards to build quality and ride / drive. The interior is really superb, and rivals even luxury vehicles in terms of how well it is put together and the abundance of soft touch materials.

From what I have seen in terms of reliability in the Mazda6, the V6 has been a little better then the I4, to my surprise. As you are well aware, the drivetrain is directly from the CX-9, which it it's own right has been pretty flawless since they started using the 3.7L in 2008.

Why this car does not get the love it deserves is mind boggling to me. The only real knock I have on it is how the 17" wheel look and the lack of dual exhaust outlets for the I4's. The car in s GT form looks the best with the 18" wheels and dual exhaust.

Again, congrats on your purchase. Keep us posted as to how you enjoy it!

p.s. I drive one as a demo, and I absolutely love it! My wife now drives my 2005 on a daily basis.
  • rdm925rdm925 Member Posts: 46
    Congrates on your new 6. I'm planning to keep my 07 6i 5-door a long time. It already has 63,000 trouble free miles. I plan to keep it at least 10 yrs like my 90 Civic Si (which was a great little car). A new Mazda 6 will be first on my list if they make a 5-door available in the USA Mazda 6 again. :shades:
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    You can also be proud that you purchased an American-made vehicle, which (ironically) the Fusion is not!

The Mazda6 is built in Flat Rock, Michigan and the Ford Fusion is built in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    "The only real knock I have on it is how the 17" wheel look and the lack of dual exhaust outlets for the I4's. The car in s GT form looks the best with the 18" wheels and dual exhaust."

I hate the 17" wheel design...it takes away from the overall look of the car, to say the least! On the 2009 model, the 18" alloys were standard on the s Touring and s Grand Touring trim levels. But for 2010, the s Grand Touring is the only model with the 18s. I think all 's' models and the 'i' Grand Touring should get the 18-inchers standard...or at least redesign the 17" to look more like the 18"....

2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    I hate the 17" wheel design...it takes away from the overall look of the car, to say the least! On the 2009 model, the 18" alloys were standard on the s Touring and s Grand Touring trim levels. But for 2010, the s Grand Touring is the only model with the 18s. I think all 's' models and the 'i' Grand Touring should get the 18-inchers standard...or at least redesign the 17" to look more like the 18"....

Couldn't agree more. In fact, had I got the i GT, I'd probably insist on swapping out the 17" stock wheels for the 18s.

It's funny. According to my wife, the wheels on my 6 remind her of the wheel design on her '00 Neon.

Well, they're close, anyway... :)
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Couldn't disagree more. Larger wheels mean less rubber, rougher ride, and more expensive replacement costs on low profile tires. I'd take 17 over 18 any day.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    There was a 'future' product display...I think by Mercedes that showed a low side wall on the outside and a large side wall on the inside of the tire.

Supposedly you'd gain the benefits of both.

I haven't heard anything further on this so maybe it wasn't technically feasible.

I think it would be ideal...a comfortable ride while looking 'gansta' (or pimpin...if you would)
  • numb3rznumb3rz Member Posts: 15
    Had the identical experience. Owned an 04 6S, V6, 5spd, and loaded. Never had a problem with the car but was stolen out of my garage, keys in it. Totaled in a police chase. Headed back to the Mazda dealer and bought an 09 Grand Touring, again loaded, V6, nav, leather, Bose, climate control etc. Same experience, smooth shifting, power, handles great. Took a road trip, four people, and got almost 28mpg and I wasn't driving slow. (epa rated 25 hwy). Love this one more than the first. Had it 15 months and driven 16k miles, not a problem of any kind.
    Sorry to hear that num3rz. I live in East Detroit and was doing yard work in the Fall of 2006 and got held up by 2 kids w/ a small pistol in the garage. They took my car and when it the police spotted them, they totaled it in a police chase also.
    The only good part was I was able to replace the old 6 with the 5-door model and blue color I really wanted.
    I'm glad you are loving your new one too. I only wish they still made the 5-door in the current series 6. :shades:
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    edited July 2010
    I have the 2009 s GT/V6 that has the 18" wheels. I also have a 17" snow tires and wheels. Sometime back I started noticing the car started doing a shaky rocking motion during braking and when I took it to the dealer he told me that 2 of my wheels are bent! Now I have around 26K miles on my car (5K of which are on the snow tires) and so about 20K miles are on the stock Michelins. And boy have they become noisy! It's growing intolerable day by day.
    So it got me thinking: if I go for replacement 18" tires it puts me in a hole of around $800 (for a Continental extreme contact DWS or Michelin MXV4/Sport A/S) plus around $300 to fix the bent wheels. Instead, if I get 17" Conti DWS's I save money, and supposedly get a quieter tire and I have heard people say the 17" inch wheels actually are most optimal even for handling. I can use my 17" inch wheels and put on the Conti's on those enjoy the quieter summer drive and try out the winter this year to see if they can handle a few inches of snow (tirerack reviews for the DWS seems to give some hope that this is possible). If they hold up then sell my snow tires on craiglist/ebay (and just throw the stock wheels/tires in the attic for some future use).
    Any opinions on this? Has anyone gone down from 18" to 17" wheels and have any positive or negative feedback?
    Going from 18" to 17" wheels will help with a smoother (and possibly quieter) ride, but having driven both models, I bought the 18" wheels because the handling IMO was more accurate and felt more secure through the steering wheel. Also, buying a lower-size wheel never guarantees a quieter tire, I've experienced some loud 16" tires compared to brand-new 17" and 18"s.

As for snow driving, I can tell you from experience that once you drive in ANY snowfall with winter tires, going back to all-seasons is equivalent to throwing on bald summer tires. I think you'll be sacrificing too much traction and control just to save a few $$$ with one set of tires.

Before writing off the 18" wheels, shop Tirerack.com for a few more tire options, since there are plenty of good choices that have a smoother and quieter ride than the OEM Michelins, as well as better traction, longer treadwear, and a lower price (the Yokohama AVID ENVigor, and Goodyear Eagle GT come to mind, and after owning a set of Yoko Avid W4S for over 24K miles before selling my car, I can vouch for 'em).

If you do go for 17" tires, I'd still keep the winter tires and swap them out. To me, the benefits of them far outweigh the cost savings.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Tires on my 2007 will need replacing within the next year and I was just looking at what is out there for replacements and saw the great winter performance reviews for those tires and thought that when the time comes I may try those.

I've been happy even with the regular contiprocontact Continentals on two other vehicles, but I have never done snow tires, so that does not tell you much. A nice extra with Continental is they give you a free 1 year road hazard warranty.

The OEM, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, tires have always seemed excessively noisy on anything but perfectly smooth pavement. If you do get the continentals please post what you think about them with regard to noise compared to the OEMs.
    Thanks for the reply. I saw the review for AVID Envigor on tirerack.com and it seems generally positive. But looks like 235/45-18 isn't available, at least doesn't show up on tirerack.com? Also in the same review Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 was rated above and reviews though not many are promising. But 235/45-18 doesn't show up as an available size for that tire too on tirerack.com.
    Double-check Tirerack.

I found the Yokos here.
    I will also have to replace the OEM tires soon on my 07 6i 5-door at 65,000 miles. I also saw the same tire tests and reviews at Tirerack. I like the test results, reviews and price of the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 and they are available in my size of 215/50-17. The local Belle Tire chain's prices beats Tirerack's. I can't complain about the original Michelins, although they are also a bit noisy, but I don't want to pay there prices.
    Does anyone have another opinion :shades:
  • khabichkhabich Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get resolution on the Noise (piston slap sound) that you were experiencing? If so, what was the solution?

Ken
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    Nexen N5000. My '05 6i came with Michelins, which I usually like, but these were a big disappointment and wore out in 25Kmi.The replacement Nexens on the other hand have been amazing. Very affordable, fabulous handling in all conditions, and tremendous treadwear.Still going strong with 94K on the odo. Will not consider any other tire when these wear out (unless they stop making them).
    Thanks, for the input. I'll check to see if they are available in my area of Metro Detroit or if Belle Tire sells them. :shades:
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    I found that no dealer sells Nexen in NE Ohio, so I ordered them in. There are many reasonable sources on the web, some with shipping included.
    edited August 2010
    Oh Ok thanks. What I saw on TireRack was for H&V rated which didn't have the size 235/45/18. But the W rated version is available in this size. TireRack has their review only for the H&V rated tires for the ENVigor - is it reasonable to expect similar characteristics for the W rated tire (which in fact falls in to a different "ultra" HP All Seasons category)?
    The differences between the H&V and W-rated tires isn't much more than the speed rating itself. The W-rated will offer a SLIGHT advantage in traction, as well as a SLIGHT reduction in treadwear.

Having said that, I bought a set of Yoko Avid W4S for my '04 6 (the Avids are the predecessors to the ENVs), and they were nothing short of excellent IMO. The ride was smooth and quieter than the OEM Michelins. Traction was simply outstanding, showing a HUGE improvement over the Michelins in the wet. When I sold the 6 (replaced with a '10 6 BTW), the tires had over 20K miles on them and could easily go another 20K safely.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    I have the same model year mazda6 GT-I4, similar mileage as yours and with exactly the same problem. How the heck do 2 wheels end up bent? my tire store told me the same thing. The tire noise now almost sounds like a wheel bearing gone bad. I did notice that if I put the bad ones on the rear, the noise is reduced but not eliminated, but when I rotate the tires it is back. I bought bridgestone blizzak snow tires when I bought the car 2 years ago, and I get them mounted on the same 18 inch rims every winter, but I cannot see how that could have caused the issue. It sounds more like a bad design either on the rim or tire. Rims and tires are expensive, I do not want to have to buy new rims. Would mazda cover something like this by the warranty?
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Surprised to hear that some are not happy with the Michelins that came on their 6's.. My '09 now has 27K miles of which the Michelins were on the car for approx. 24K and they are wearing just fine; they should last for another 8K or more.. But I've owned Yokohamas in the recent past and was very happy with them regarding mileage, quietness, and snow traction. I'll definitely look at Yoko's first when the Michelins are worn out.

Re: snow tires, I opted for Bridgestone Blizzaks with aftermarket alloy rims for the 6 prior to last winter. I also went down one inch in rim size, from 17 to 16 (205/65-16), to get a slightly larger contact patch as well as possibly a slightly less harsh ride. Maybe because the snows are a little thicker/harder, they didn't seem any less harsh than the OEM 17's.. The Blizzaks worked really well although they aren't the best for long life. In going to that size there aren't many choices.

For those who have mentioned Continentals, 6 years ago we bought a Toyota Matrix XR that came with Conti's and in just 11K miles I had to replace 2 of them due to tread wear. Since the other two were like new, I bought two more Contis. Big mistake. They also wore out in 11K miles. I then tried another brand, which I forgot, which only lasted 16K miles. I then bought Avons from Tirerack and they already have more than 20K and still have 1/3 of their tread and have better traction and steering response than the Contis for about a third LESS money..!! What gets me is that the Matrix is NOT a performance car and tires should last FAR longer than 11K miles. And the Contis cost the same as Michelins... I'll never buy them again.. :(:cry:
  • DBM89DBM89 Member Posts: 2
    I just recently bought a new set of tires of my mazda 6 '09, they worn out quickly, they only last 18K, I just paid 300 dls for the set of 4, the rest Michelin paid it. I think, the roads in Mexico were the reason the tires worn out quickly. Michelin energy MXV4 S8 are too noisy and doesn't have the grip needed for the car. Now, the new set of Michelin MXV4 ( not energy) are a lot better, more grip and more quiet.
  • ohblueohblue Member Posts: 39
    I actually had to have the front, driver's side wheel bearing changed a little after 1,000 miles on mine last year. You might want to have it checked out...
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Actually the problem turned out to be a bad alignment on one of my front tyres. The dealer where I bought my car (Erin mills mazda in mississauga) offered a free alignment under warranty before my car reached 20,000 km
    so I let them do it (bad idea) and they messed up. one of my tyres now has what is called scalloping and is the reason for all the noise. Now that I switched to my winter tyres the noise is completely gone. I also switched dealerships, QEW Mazda is the best, they fixed my alignment for free. Moral of the story is, pick your dealer carefully.
    Checking back here to see if there are any experiences that someone can share regarding the Continental DWS or the Yoko Envigor's as those are the two in my short list now. I rode one more winter season on my snows and it's time for me to replace my regular tires. I asked my local tire dealer and he doesn't recommend DWS as he says that quite a few people complain about that tire (vibrations, too soft etc). I would appreciate if anyone can share their positive/negative experiences about the above 2 tires.

Thanks.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    I put the DWS on my 6s GT about 2,000 miles ago and am completely satisfied with them.

They track straight, no vibrations, fairly quiet, and pretty good in the snow for an all season tire. Very good in the rain.

They handle great. Too soft? Time will tell I guess.

For what it's worth, they are a good looking tire too.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

Thanks venture. I presume you bought the 18" tires for your s GT, may I ask where did you buy from and how much did you end up paying?
    Yes, they are 18". Same size as what came on the car. I got them in central PA.

I paid approx. $940 (I have the receipt here somewhere) mounted, balanced, new valves, tax. They put nitrogen in them too; which they do with all their tires. I didn't care about the nitrogen, but it was part of the package.

The best part, to me, is the handling.

I would absolutely buy them again based on the 2,000 miles that I have had them. Obviously I will have to wait to be able to say that after 10 or 20,000 miles. The reviews at Tire Rack are favorable.

Thanks venture! I ordered mine, will post feedback here when I get 'em installed.
    Ok, got mine installed and after having driven them only for 1 day I see that are definitely much quieter than the OEMs on local roads. But on the interstates they are somewhat noisier than I expected (especially after reading reviews and seeing that they were very quiet on local roads). The steering feel however is definitely lacking compared to the OEM Michelins when they were new. I will try increasing the tire psi to see if it helps. Will post more later.
    Ok they should be scuffed up a little by now. How's it going?

I found them to be even better than the Michelins after getting a little wear on them. Bend a few corners to see what I mean.

I actually ended up swapping the DWS for the Yokohama Avid Envigors and found the Yokos to be a big improvement in the steering feel department and very happy with them. Enjoying my car once again.
    heh...I just got Envigors on Monday for my IS350...huge improvement all around.

Of course they're new...they may fall apart in 10k (they do have a 45k warranty)...but right now they're amazing :)
    If the Envs are anything like their previous versions (the Avid), they'll be fine.

I got 25K on my last set of Yokos (Avid W4S) before selling my '04 Mazda6, and there was at least 3/4 tread left. Getting another 40-50K shouldn't have been an issue. These were the W-speed rated versions, I've heard the V- and H-speed rated versions do just as well if not better in treadwear.
    again...you're copying me :)

I had the Avid put on my min-van a few years ago (80k warranty)...made a huge difference over the OEM; which is why i looked at the Yokohama's for my car.
  • mazda6hyymazda6hyy Member Posts: 7
    (Sorry for my poor English...)
    Last Thursday night leaving work my 2009 Mazda6 iGT wouldn't start. When I press the push button, all the gauges turned all the way to the right and back to 0 right away. I tried to push the button 3-4 times and suddenly the brake was locked out/stuck/jammed! All the lights were on including both headlights and dash lights. Tried the actual key, press the push button, still same thing. My coworker jump started my car and I was finally able to go home.
    Friday morning it happened again. This time the push button stayed in ON mode, there was no way to turn it off whatsoever, it also did not allow me to pop the trunk open, my jump start cable was in the trunk:-( Had to flag unknown neighbor down to borrow his cable. Jump started again and drove the car to dealer immediately.
    Dealer did the test on battery and said it's GOOD. Then they did DRAW TEST and also turned out GOOD...They had me pay for the new battery replacement claiming "IT HAPPENS"...so far 3 days passed and car is OK.
    I googled it Thursday night and someone mentioned about LOCK-OUT MODE? Dealer knows nothing about it and told me there is NO WAY TO POP THE TRUNK OPEN. Any expert knows how to deal with this kind of situation? I found it very irresponsible...Thank you. Car was bought brand new in Nov 2008 in bay area, currently 38700 miles. :cry:
    When you jumped the car and it worked, my first thought was the battery. Battery terminals do get corroded. If the dealer tested the battery on the battery posts, as opposed to testing it on the outside of the terminals, it may have tested good and not exposed a poor connection. A dealer should know this. I think the dealer just wanted to sell you a battery.

I would have pulled and cleaned the terminals and put an overnight charge on the battery. Two years out of a battery might be normal if you live in Phoenix. You should get five years, give or take, in a cooler climate.
    Two years out of a battery might be normal if you live in Phoenix. You should get five years, give or take, in a cooler climate.

I know when I used to live in a cold climate 5-7 years was the norm for a battery...actually can't remember changing one.

Now in central TX...2 years and the battery is done.
  • 626gt626gt Member Posts: 15
    I have the exact same car that I bought new in Oct 09 - - 3 days after it was delivered I went out to start car and the exact same thing happened except I was unable to jump start car (had to get to my hockey game) & when I came home car still was lit up like Christmas tree but lights all dimmer. Could not start - did not think to jump start. Next AM all power dead, car was towed to dealer and they put in new battery. They claim that the car had been in showroom for months w/ people playing w/buttons etc but not driven much so original battery had died and caused issue. Other 09 driver in CT. had similar battery issues. I think the batter was the cause not sure how else this could happen. Can't speak to trunk release - older cars had cables to electronics would not be issue but new cars with electronic locks maybe trunk won't open. I have not heard about a lock out mode though it maybe an anti-theft process they program into car, not sure what you did to cause that?
  • trinitywolftrinitywolf Member Posts: 8
    I just got the DWS's on my 09 i GT after doing a lot of research. So far they handle very well. I would say about the same as my OEM Michelins.

They do seem to have a quicker turning response. They also seem to roll down the road better, with less resistance but those two things could be my imagination. :)
    Thank you all for your kind reply. Not sure if anyone wanna duplicate the lock-out mode and if you are able to. ;)

Basically what I did was as usual, stepped on the brake first, press the push start button, a little noise, gauges moved all the way to the right and back down to 0, Shocked!...Then I attempted to start 3 or maybe 4 times, then it locked up! Brake completely jammed and not step-able.)

Husband did this again next day AM and he said he tried maybe in 3-4times neighborhood, and same thing happened. The only difference was, I was able to switch it OFF the day before to pop the truck and grab my jumpstart cable, but we failed to do so next day AM. The push button stayed at ON.

I'll try to find that artitle from other forum that someone said his dealer told him about lockout mode. Will post later.
    Hi 626gt and all,

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123738682-HELP!-09-Mazda-6-Won-t-S- tart-Push-to-Start

This is the link that pointed out "lock out mode". (See 4/7/2009 posted by Rave_Noodles)

We did not mess with anything. I was able to drive the car to Walmart 5 hours before the 1st incident happened that night.

I live in San Jose, CA. The weather has been pretty mild.
    Living in Minnesota, replaced the original battery in my 03 Accord in 2010. 5-7 years is a pretty accurate window up here. Starting up your car on a twenty below zero morning in January will tell you in a hurry what the condition of your battery is.
  • tcl1999tcl1999 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Aviboy97 - Did this issue get resolved? I just bought an 09 Mazda6 and I'm experiencing the same issues. I know it's been like 3 years, but if your wiring harness and throttle issue fixed the problem, that would be good to know.

Thanks!