Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
Rumors about this car is it will more interior room than the current model. It will have a 263 HP V6 engine and its shape of the exterior body will resemble the Mercedes Benz E-Class.

Comments

• d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    All I've seen so far is a stretched version of the current car, which can be a way for Mazda to fool spies. I really don't want it to grow, though beyond an inch in each direction.
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    The car doesn't have to grow much, but the leg room in the backseat is way too small for this class. It's my only complaint about the current 6.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "I really don't want it to grow, though beyond an inch in each direction."

I don't think in inch in each direction is going to cut it in this segment. They need about 2-3 more inches in the backseat than the current model has in order compete with the Japanese Big 3 mid-size offerings. The current 6 is just not a big seller. As a matter fact the 3 outsells the 6. THe CX-7 almost outsold the 6 last month.

As far as my wish list for the 08 6 it needs a little better quality of interior materials than the current model has.
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    The size is supposed to be relatively similar to the Ford Fusion, although the 6 gets a more powerful engine. It probably gets the same Aisin transmission the new CX-9 uses, which from what I've heard, is a good thing.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Well, the current Mazda6 get's the Japanese transmission (manual and auto). I would not look for that to change.

I have heard of them also producing a 2.5L I-4. Hopefully around 175hp?
    Do you happen to know if Hatch / Wagon stays? Thanks.
    Too early to tell. I would think at least the 5-door will stay.
    So it seems. I hear AWD will become available (in Europe it is an option already). It looks to grow 5-7 inches in length. Also, since spy-photos are from US, does it mean we'll get a different car than the rest of the world?! I think only US drivers could complain about car's size. Honda Accord (TSX in US) is even smaller. Oh, too much analysis...
    Dear host, this forum keeps disappearing from Mazda6 list quite often. I didn't figure out why, but it is hidden more often then not. Thanks.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    How much power in the 2008' Mazdaspeed6 suppose to make ????

Rocky
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    New 3 and 6 models should appear in 2008 as 2009 models.

Don Romano, President of Mazda Canada

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=75558&pg=1
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    Thanks for the news. I hope the 6 hatchback and wagon body styles survive in the U.S. It would be a shame if they try to go too "mainstream" like so many other makes.
    The text is in Russian, but you may scroll through the pictures using ">>" button http://www.gazeta.ru/auto/2007/02/28_a_1423358.shtml
    Or try this one
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    Just got my new Motor Trend today. There's a small snippet on pg 22 in the "We Hear" section about the new Mazda 6. All three body styles remain, rear headroom is sacrificed for styling, fenders take on a CX-7 flair and a new 2.5L 4-cyl.

Compare the taillights of the CX-9 to these new spy pics and you can guess what the 6's will look like, 'cept for the smaller clear reverse element.

As for the headlights, take a look at the CX-9's then notice where the black camo tape is on the 6's.

Should be a killer car.

Dave
    The Detroit news had a photo of the 09 Mazda 6. I'm upset 09 Mazda 6? I thought an 08 6 would be out in September at the same time probably a new Honda Accord would come out. A new Altima has come out already, and a new Camry has already come out already as well. I'm hoping a new a new 09 6 comes out for early 08 release and not a september 09 release.
    "Just got my new Motor Trend today. There's a small snippet on pg 22 in the "We Hear" section about the new Mazda 6. All three body styles remain, rear headroom is sacrificed for styling, fenders take on a CX-7 flair and a new 2.5L 4-cyl."

Rear room is sacrificed? Thats not good the 6 needs to have close near the head room that the Accord, Altima, and Camry have in order to compete competitively in this class. Remember headroom or a lack there of was one of the reasons why people didn't buy a current generation 6.

I'm surprised all 3 body styles are going to remain for a next generation 6 since the wagon didn;t sell very well in my opinion.

"Compare the taillights of the CX-9 to these new spy pics and you can guess what the 6's will look like, 'cept for the smaller clear reverse element."

The Headlights are going to look like the CX-9's great the new 6 will even have a greater resemblance to the Camry than it already has. I;m being sarcastic but serious at the same time wiuth my following comment.
    I'm hoping a new a new 09 6 comes out for early 08 release and not a september 09 release.

I think it is planned to be out in spring of '08 as an '09 model.
    Thats not good the 6 needs to have close near the head room that the Accord, Altima, and Camry

According to CR measurements, the current Mazda6 has same rear headroom as Camry LE and 1 inch less than Accord EX or Camry XLE. How close is "close"...to me it is pretty close already.

Not sure why rear headroom apparently varies with trim level in Camry and Accord, though :confuse: .
    Look for this car to be a 2008 model. It should debut at an auto show in the late summer.

Expect the car to be here late fall.

I wonder how much power the 2.5L will put out. I am hoping for at least 175hp, and 160 lb-ft.
  • integradude_4integradude_4 Member Posts: 4
    Odds are since the the 3.5V6 has yet to be matched to a manual in any viehicle( as far as i know) i wouldn;t be surprised that the V6 manual option will dissapear for 08 which will be a shame since this is supposed to be a company that buids cars with the "zoom zoom" attitude. guess i'll have to stick around for the SPEED6
    I highly doubt that the 5-speed manual will be tossed for the 3.5L V6. If anything, Mazda can use the 6-speed manual they have, currently matted to the more powerful 2.3L MZR Turbo. So, they do have a tranny that can take the power...
    Sweet. Set it as a background - we'll see if it grows on me. It's also reported by our humble Edmonds.
    I set it as my desk top yesterday. I like it. I would just like to see how the whole thing looks. It will be showcased in about a month.
    The front of the 08 6 looks like a 07 Nissan Altima but it also has a resemblance to the 04+ Mazda 3(in the grille) and the CX-7(headlights) but I just don;t how close in resemblance the 08 6 looks like a 07 Altima from the front view.
  • 99tcamry99tcamry Member Posts: 15
    I posted this in the sedans 2.0 section. However, it's an artist rendering. What do you think?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/6070730.001/new-mazda6-latest-artists-renderings
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    it has an uncanny resemblance to the new accord sedan, just smoothed around the edges.
    it looks ok but it doesn't look as sleek as the current 6 but sedan buyers want understated exterior styling so I guess Mazda had to dumb down the looks of the 08 6 from its current model. I would definately buy the 08 6 over the 08 Accord though.

I got upset though when that poster on Worlcars.com said that they miss the days of the Millenia, 929, and MX-6 and said its too bad Ford owns Mazda well the current 6 didn't really sell well so Mazda had to do something else I guess from my viewpoint. Why do people always say when Mazda makes a mistakes or they don't like something that Mazda does they say well too bad their owned by Ford. However, I still don;t like the front of the 08 6 though and the grille needs some work in my opinion on the 08 6 it looks like a mess(the grille.)
  • 99tcamry99tcamry Member Posts: 15
    I hope the back of the new 6 doesn't have that dumpy look that Avalons have. From that one picture it looked Avalon/Solaraish. I guess we'll have to see when the final pics come out. I also hope Mazda keeps the sport grille. I prefer that on current 6's as opposed to the mesh grille.
    well the current 6 didn't really sell well

That's not the case at all. The Mazda6 is Mazda's #2 seller, right behind the Mazda3. It sells quite well. The Mazda6 is going into its 5th year, so, it is in need of a redesign.
    The 2008 Accord was unvailed today. I hope Mazda can compete with the new Mazda6!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    MAZDA6 Sports Sedan & 5-Door*

The MAZDA6 set new standards for performance, driver appeal and styling when it was launched four years ago. As a vehicle that married sports performance with refinement and practicality, it has proven a huge sales success and picked up more than 70 awards for automotive excellence.

For 2008, the MAZDA6 gets even better with a new standard Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), BOSE ® stereo system (Touring models) and 17-inch alloy wheels (i Sport models).

New or enhanced for 2008:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) standard on all models
    Standard BOSE ® stereo system (Touring models)
    Standard 17-inch alloy wheels (i Sport models)
    New exterior colors – Volcanic Red (4-door model) and Silver Metallic
    Standard security alarm system (Sport VE and Touring)

*To better meet customer demands for the MAZDA6 Sports Sedan and 5-Door, the MAZDA6 Sport Wagon will be discontinued for the 2008 model year.
  • tgkoenigseggtgkoenigsegg Member Posts: 52
    Does anyone know if this is a new platform or is it on some Ford platform, maybe the EUCD?
    Reports are the new version which will be a 2009 model (time to change the name of this discussion???) will be on the Mondeo platform.
    The 2009 new model Mazda6 will have a new 4 cyl and the 3.7L V6 as engine options and will indeed be based on the Mondeo platform.

2008 Mazda6 is simply a continuation of the current model.
    It will be a short model year with the 2009 arriving by summer 2008.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    2008 Mazda6 is simply a continuation of the current model.

If your post # 37 is accurate, then you must be (unfortunately :( ) correct. Whenever they update the 6, the 1st thing they need to do is give it an engine option to bring hp at least up to 250hp and torque of at leat 200. Otherwise, it won't be sporty enough to compete with the sporty cars, and won't be luxurious enough to pull people away from stallwarts like Honda and Toyota.

IMO (and I'm no expert), you've got Honda Accord and Toyota Camry setting the standard, with Honda being sportier and Toyota being more comfort/convenience. I think VW tries to compete by exceeding those two on luxury. I think the 6 is Mazda's attenpt to give people more sport and maybe a little less amenities, but it definitely needs more HP and torque to do that.
    The new Toyota Camry is way sportier then the upcoming Accord. The new Accord is also very blah looking, besides the 2 door. The current Accord is nothing special. I have no idea why it is the bench mark for vehicles in its class. Besides good reliability, the car really sucks.

Rumor has it, the new 3.7L engine that is built in Japan w/ 273hp and 270tq will go into the new Mazda6.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Aviboy97 - You work at a Mazda dealership, is that correct? When are you being told the '09 Mazda6 will be available? I've read everywhere from late '07 to the fall of '08.
    Yes, I do. I have heard absolutely nothing about the 2009 Mazda6. I still have not yet received any 2008 Mazda6's. All I really know is that the 2008 MY will be a short production run. My guess, which is as good as anybody's right now, is I think we will see the 2009 Mazda6 in June of 2008.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Thanks. I need to get something, but have a bit of flexibility on time.
  • kenseykensey Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure why you think you know so much about the Mazda 6, however, the Mazda 6 is NOT built on a Ford platform. Ford built thier Fusion on a Mazda 6 platform. Ford uses Mazdas ideas and Mazda makes parts for Ford.
  • kenseykensey Member Posts: 2
    Ford doesn't own Mazda!
    Ford doesn't own Mazda!

Ummmm...so then why is Mazda listed at ford.com under "our familiy of brands"?

Ford owns about 1/3 of mazda...pretty sure that it is considered to be a controlling interest.
    09 6 gonna be built in Flat Rock, Michigan like the current 6 is or alongside the Ford Fusion in Mexico?
    "The new Toyota Camry is way sportier then the upcoming Accord. The new Accord is also very blah looking, besides the 2 door. The current Accord is nothing special. I have no idea why it is the bench mark for vehicles in its class. Besides good reliability, the car really sucks."

No, its the way that the Accord drives that makes it a benchmark not the way it looks. The Camry has a softer ride than the Accord. The Accord has alot of going for it but I just don;t care for the looks of the last 2 gen Accords(03 and 08 models.)
    No, its the way that the Accord drives that makes it a benchmark not the way it looks

It does not drive all that great,IMO. My father has a 2004, which I have driven numerous times.
    At AutoAlliance International in Flat Rock.
    Ford owns 33.4% interest in Mazda. So, Ford does have some say so in what Mazda does.

Ummmm...so then why is Mazda listed at ford.com under "our familiy of brands"?

Because Mazda is considered a "partner" or "global partner" with Ford.
    As the largest shareholder Ford has much more than "some say" in what Mazda does.

The 33.4% is apparently considered to be a "controlling interest" because a 2/3 super majority is required under the corporation's rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlling_interest