Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I agree that the new Mazda6 should be a very much in demand and should satisfy the midsize buyer that wants the room of a average midsize car but wants a sportier driving experience.

Mazda tried to be different but for the last couple of years they have been selling the Mazda6 for $5000 below sticker. If they could have sold them for sticker, believe me, you would not be seeing a vehicle that is a lot bigger. They would have stayed with a smaller vehicle, smaller market but huge profits. They couldn't do it so they went a little more mainstream. Hopefully, they'll pull it off.
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    They've been selling the Mazda6 for $5000 below sticker for the last couple of years? Wow, it's no wonder they dumped such a loser! You can't make any money selling them for that.
    I have an '07 Mazda6 and I certainly don't think it's a loser and I'm sure you were referring to overall sales numbers versus the car itself. It wasn't and probably isn't selling for that much off MSRP everywhere but it seems in larger markets it is. I bought mine in Chicago area.

I agree, they can't make money like that and that's why they are changing the car substantially. If more people would have bought the current version which some people seem so passionate about they may not have had to go as mainstream as they apparently are.

I'm withholding judgement on the new model until I can drive one. I like the looks and what I've read about it so far but it would be nice to have increased the mpg a little though.
    With only a 6% increase in interior volume (according the Motor Trend mag) I think it will still be too small for all the big-butted American midsize buyers. And, if I was a typical midsize buyer, the fuel mileage numbers wouldn't look that great to me compared to the others.

This is looking more and more like another Camry-Accord-Altima wanna-be train wreck, just like the last gen 626. Seriously, the lack of success for the first gen Mazda6 shows that the American consumer doesn't really care about things like superior handling.

Let's face it, Mazda just doesn't have the resources or experience to make a mainstream midsize winner. People aren't going to buy it just because it handles better and looks nicer than a Camry-Accord-Altima.
    It depends a little on where the 6% is. Two cars with the same exact interior volume can certainly feel different where the butt meets the seat. I'm not into making definitive statements about how bad or good the new Mazda6 will be or do in the marketplace until, like I said, I drive it.

Part of the problem is getting people to put the Mazda6 on their list of midsize cars to look at when they go shopping. When I did my shopping last year the wife said "go ahead and boil it down to two cars you like and then I'll get involved and tell you which one I like". When I did and the two finalists were the Sonata and the Mazda6 she said "Mazda6, I thought that was a compact car". They are a little smaller but they look even smaller yet because of how low they are and the general sportier shape. Anyway, she ended up loving the handling of Mazda6. That was the specific thing she liked about it over the Sonata so we bought it.

So, IMO if they can get people into test driving the new Mazda6 that may generate a lot of sales. It's just like the recent MT comparo.....where was the Mazda6? Out of ten midsize cars they HAVE to test the Hyundai/Kia twins instead of bringing in the Mazda6. It really would have been great to have had the new Mazda6 available for that test especially since one of their catergories was the "fun to drive factor".
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    What on Earth are you talking about??? The 09 Mazda6 has the same amount of interior space the 08 Accord does! If that is too small for people, then they need to look at a Maxima or Avalon. Also, the 4-cyl FE in only 1-2 mpg's off on the highway,and off only 1-2 mpg's in the city of the most fuel efficient car in it's class. Also, the V6 is right in the middle of the pack.
    Maybe the Motor Trend numbers were wrong, but if they are right then the gen 1 Mazda6 had 94.34% of the space of the new one, yet buyers seemed to think it was too small. That was one of the major complaints (if not the biggest) and a big reason why they dumped it, right?

Lately it seems that 1-2 MPG in fuel mileage IS a big deal with consumers. It's not a big deal with me, but if Mazda wants to play with the big boys then 1-2 MPGs is significant.

So will buyers go for the new Mazda6 because it handles a little better and has cooler styling than the other midsize sedans? They won't be buying it because it's the only affordable midsize 5-door available, or because it's the only affordable midsize car with a MT-V6 combo, because those are gone. Or will they just say WTF and just go buy a 2009 Malibu?
  • socal2006socal2006 Member Posts: 44
    Of course it's too early.

But, I'm making a prediction based on the way fuel prices are going and the vehicle that they could've had and had already developed.

I really doubt they couldn't have engineered a way to fit a v6 into the world 6. If the first gen (which is smaller) could fit it, I'm sure they could've found a way to stuff the v6 in there perhaps with more modest adjustments.

Let me clarify, I think the new 6 will do reasonably well but not as well as it should have. In the second year of sales, I expect sales to be flat compared to the old 6, although hopefully without the need for huge rebates and incentives.
    I agree. I think sales will be about the same, and I also think they could have had the same sales by focusing on enhancing the sportiness and economy of the gen 1 model, rather than making another "me too" midsize sedan.

No maker in this size class has a 5-door, yet they DO have 2-door models of the Accord, Camry, and Altima which account for only a small fraction of their sales. I don't have the numbers, but I'll guess that the percentage of sales of these 2-door models are lower than the percentage of the Mazda6 5-door sales, yet they make them anyway. These models enhance those maker's model line-ups and are a great marketing tool.

For the new Mazda6 I guess Zoom Zoom Zoom has become Snooze Snooze Snooze.
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    It has been noted that the increase in passenger volume from the previous generation Mazda6 to the new generation 09 model is 6 percent. True enough. But the implication seems to be that 6 percent isn't much.

I think this is a case where the actual number (an increase from 96.1 cubic feet to 101.9) is more impressive than the percentage. An additional 5.8 (almost 6) more cubic feet can be significant in the relatively small overall space of a mid-size car's interior, depending, as someone else noted, on where it's applied.

There was also a comparison with the Accord. I'm driving an '04 Accord with 102.7 passenger volume. That puts the new Mazda within less than 1 cubic foot of the Accord's interior, which I have found to be plenty roomy.

If it's applied in the right way, I'm guessing this additional (almost) 6 cubic feet will be very noticable in the new Mazda6. We'll see.
  • milkman1milkman1 Member Posts: 80
    It is a huge difference inside, mostly in the back seat, but throughout. When you finally get your hands on one you will see it's a huge change inside.
    That was my original point. If you add a couple of inches in seat width and a couple of inches in shoulder room it makes a huge difference in percieved roominess. If you add a couple of inches in legroom in back(where a test driver spends little time) or in headroom(not really noticed much unless one is very tall) the percieved increase in spaciousness(even though the same % increase) would be a lot less. So it depends where the size increase is and it sounds like you have sat in it and definitely noticed the difference. Are you the guy who was on a business trip to Colorado and just happened to crash the dealer meeting??? I liked that story.
    When I think of roominess I think of a fun-to-drive and fun-to-look-at car that will fit 5 people, or two mountain bikes, or two kids and two strollers.

Sort of a combo of ZOOMINESS and ROOMINESS. Yeah, I thought that one up myself. :shades:
    Thats good. You should send that in to Mazda. It would fit right in with where there going with the 6.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    When I think of roominess I think of a fun-to-drive and fun-to-look-at car that will fit 5 people, or two mountain bikes, or two kids and two strollers.

That describes the 2008 5 Door Mazda6.
    yep, that's me
    Yeah it would fit if they brought back the 5-door.
    Hey everyone,

I just got some info to my store about the 2009 Mazda6, all redundant information, however, there is a picture of the Mazda6 development team, and the vast majority of them happen to be of Asian decent! I guess this really answers who designed and built the car, to those who still think Ford did.
    I don't know, there's quite a large Asian community in Detroit. ;)
    That does not mean they are employed by the auto manufacturers!
    I think I should have said they are all Japanese, however, there is know way I could know that! I guess I was trying to be politically correct!
    Just a feeble attempt at humor. Never mind.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I have a quick question for you again Aviboy97 and I think we've gone over this before.

I was on Mazdausa.com building an 09 6 (since it is up now for everyone now instead of by special e-mail) and I'm still noticing that if you choose a 6spd manual for the i Touring model you are forced into the Moonroof and Conv. pkgs but if you get the 5spd automatic you can get either or. Is Mazda limiting the i Touring's options when equipped with the 6spd manual? its seems u get either all or nothing on that particular trim.
    According to my order sheet, yes, that is the way Mazda is doing it right now. However, the order sheet I go by still says "preliminary" on top. There is an extreme possibility that might change. I have the Mazda6 i Touring 6M on order in base form and fully loaded
    The price of a 2009 Mazda6 Touring with packages will be more than the price of a WRX w/premium package and the WRX would run circles around the Mazda6.
    okay, cool. so for the price of the i Touring that I'd be forced to get (with Moonroof, Conv. pkg and 6spd manual) I might as well move on up to the i Grand Touring.
    A WRX with the Premium package is $27,000. The Mazda6 i Touring, loaded with both packages, is $26,600.

A Mazdaspeed3 GT for $24,500 does run circles around the WRX.....that is more of a direct comparo....
    I would give it time. I really don't think that is going to stay that way for too long.
    Actually I was referring to the Mazda6 s Touring. Sure, the Mazda6 s V6 has more HP, but a FWD car can't put that much power to the front wheels effectively anyway, without some wheel spin or torque steer. IMO, in a FWD car any power beyond 200HP is pretty much wasted anyway.
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with that. There are plenty of 200+ hp FWD's on the road that drive just fine. The first gen Mazda6 V6 had 220hp, Accord V6's have generally had no torque steer. Even the Mazdaspeed3 (263hp) connects with the road quite well.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
    tru...but I'm just looking for any excuse to make getting the Grand Touring over the Touring seem rational...lol
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    There are plenty of 200+ hp FWD's on the road

Yes and the vast majority of drivers accelerate at about 2500 rpm in them. They neither need nor use anywhere near the full available HP. For some reason they are afraid to go with a 4 cyl instead and rev it up to maybe 4000 rpm.
    gotcha ;) Just ignore my updates if Mazda does change their mind!
    I keep getting this feeling that this will just be another nice mid-size sedan. The styling looks nice and I'm sure the handling will be better than most of the others, but will that be enough? Or does Mazda think they can just ride the wave from the success of the Gen 1 Mazda6?

How many times did we hear Mazda6 buyers say they selected it over the other mid-sizers because it offered something the others didn't? It was different, and it attracted a different sort of buyer. Though Gen 1 was less mainstream, it had a solid group of fans whose preferences were not being addressed by Toyota, Honda, or Nissan. By abandoning the formula responsible for the success of the Gen 1 Mazda6, Mazda will be in effect trying to replace this core group of Mazda6 buyers with a similarly-sized chunk of the mainstream midsize market. Will this work? It didn't last time.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    How many times did we hear Mazda6 buyers say they selected it over the other mid-sizers because it offered something the others didn't? It was different, and it attracted a different sort of buyer.

Whether or not they're "a different sort" of buyer, there simply isn't enough of them to make $$$ selling cars to them, especially when Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and even Ford and Chevy are selling 2-3x as many (or more) every single year. Granted, I guess you can say I was "a different sort", and I still am (to a point), but from a business sense, I see where they're coming from.

By abandoning the formula responsible for the success of the Gen 1 Mazda6, Mazda will be in effect trying to replace this core group of Mazda6 buyers with a similarly-sized chunk of the mainstream midsize market.

I don't feel they're "abandoning" any 1st-gen buyers, they're simply improving their product to try both to satisfy them, and any other "mainstream" buyers that liked the 1st-gen, but were scared away by either 1) it's smaller size 2) the lack of power, especially with the V6, and 3) it's perceived lack of quality. Of course, you can't satisfy everybody all the time, and I can see why some first-gen buyers would be disappointed, but to say they're "abandoning" then? That's a little much IMO. (Except if you're a 5-door owner, then I can definitely sympathize.)

Will this work? It didn't last time.

This does remain to be seen. I do vividly remember the 626, and can fondly remember why it did fail (Mazda's lack of $$$$ as a whole, and the 626 itself being very bland with next-to-no marketing didn't help). Call me crazy, but I don't sense this with the '09 6, since every first-drive I've seen still raves about the precise ride-and-handling that the 1st-gen enjoyed, with more power, space, and features/quality that Mazda needs to remain competitive.

To tell you the truth, I love my 6, but if I had to replace it today, it wouldn't be with another one. The midsize market has exploded and became more competitive since '04 (when I bought my 6), and today, my $$$ would be on an Altima 3.5SE with it's advantage in power, gas mileage, size, and features/quality that makes for the ideal combination for me. If the '09 6 does all that, and retain the excellent handling that it's had since Day One, sign me up! :)
    With the 1st gen Mazda6, Mazda did not go after the group they are going after now. The first gen Mazda6 was about being different, as you said. Now, they are banking on retaining a good amount of those 1st gen owners and stealing some more between Honda / Toyota / Nissan. Now, Mazda is offering a more competitive mid sized sedan that appeals to just more then the people who are looking to be different. If there were going to appeal to the same market, the car would sell 60K units a year, again. I highly doubt this will happen. Mazda apparently fixed the negatives of the car, and now the Mazda6 should be on the list of those who passed it over before. It worked for Nissan with the Altima back in 2002. No reason it wont work for Mazda in 2009.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    today my $$$ would be on an Altima

Have you driven or sat in one? Despite the unappealing (to me) styling, I was intriqued enough by the CVT, etc. to test drive one, but as soon as I sat in it I knew I would not want it. Maybe it is just me, but the seat was very uncomfortable, too low, hard, and flat. There is more to cars than numbers on paper.
    Just curious, what were the annual sales for the Gen 1 Mazda6? I'd be interested to see it broken down by body style (sedan, 5-door, wagon) as well.
    Have you driven or sat in one?

Yes, and it was liked so much that we bought one. :) In 2007, after two months of research and test-drives, my wife picked out a Majestic Blue 2.5S with 6-speed and Convenience Plus package, and she loves it so much that she's actually washing the car herself on weekends (something I only did with her previous car), and actually is concerned with the maintenance (see above).

The seat was uncomfortable for me at first, but after finding the perfect settings, they're actually comfortable on long trips. The passenger seat, OTOH... :)
    Can any of the dealers on here confirm if any mazdaspeed parts will be available and what parts for which engine? If I could get a warranteed intake, exhaust and fly wheel like on the old 4 cylinder that might keep me away from the altima and the 6 still in the contest.

I agree, the seat makes or breaks the relationship. It's like the first kiss with a car, and it's real important to the chemistry. Can't even begin to enjoy what isn't comfortable. The altima's seat works for me, but even my Dad doesn't like the feel, it seems to be a legit issue with the Altima, but opinions are like.... everyone's got one and we all want it comfortable.
    No Mazdaspeed anything for our new 6 as of yet. I just found out what regular accessories are available.
    I just found out what regular accessories are available.

Such as?

A list of them would be nice... :P
    It sounds like maybe they widened the seats a bit on the new Mazda6 for the big fat American butts. Makes it more comfy for those trips to McDonalds.
    Same stuff as last year, with the addition of auto-dim exterior side mirrors and splash guards.

Good news is, we get a rear wing spoiler too!

Oh, I also have official pricing too. What Mazda has posted on their web site is the official pricing with the destination charge included ($670)
    I hope that American bashing is coming from an American.

American for skinny cars
  • altimatealtimate Member Posts: 74
    I was wondering whether Aviboy could answer this. I'm seriously thinking about a 09 Touring i automatic with no options. I do want Satellite radio however. Not interested in paying $1800 for a bose moonroof package to get it. I see it listed as an accessory on the 08 M6. Is this available as a dealer installed option and is it
    fully integrated into the radio rather than some sort of add on device?

I would appreciate any info on this.

Also, any more updated info on when cars will hit the dealers?

Thanks
  • altimatealtimate Member Posts: 74
    Sorry to be a pest. I have one more question. Will S Plan (X Plan) pricing be available on the new M6 on introduction. Given all the deals out there right now that may be a necessity for me to go with the M6.
    Yes, you can get SIRIUS radio as an option, since all Mazda6's are SIRIUS ready.

Dealers are expecting the 09 Mazda6 to be on lots in early August (only a month away!!)

As for X-Plan, for Mazda is it S-Plan. I'm almost positive there will be S-Plan on the Mazda6, however, it is up to dealer to accept it.
    Yup, 100% American. I hate it when they widen the seats for the fatties (too many cheeseburgers) and then I have no lateral support. Almost makes me want to buy a VW and pray for mercy from the god of repair costs. :shades: