Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• jw_rjw_r Member Posts: 10
    >$4700.00 to fix

The price is way off. The warranty dealera pricing is $2800 + Fees + Taxes in California and this should be extended to you since Honda has known about these transmission failures for a decade or so.

Honda has no shame.

Good luck.
  • rfreitasrfreitas Member Posts: 63
    See page 85, post #838. There is a link with the info of an attorney that is taking everyones information. Call them and give them your information. You might ask how many people they have now and post back to us. Thanks.
  • angelpn74angelpn74 Member Posts: 3
    I dont know why but the first transmission that was put in a year ago was only given a one year 12,000 mile warranty. Now a little OVER a year later I need another transmission. After being very assertive with Honda dealer, customer service reps, and case manager I was told that if I agree to "participate in the cost of a new transmission" even though I am past the warranty class action suit wise and from the second transmission Honda would offer me "finacial help". I thought I had all the information I needed from hondatransmissionsettlement.com but I think my case manager was in actuality a lawyer. The case manager and I argued the law and went in circles with him offering help but not telling me what he was offering to him taking away the help to him offering again. I felt like he was trying to get me to say certain things and he had me on speaker phone and was recording of course. The whole conversation was surreal actually. The highlights of the conversation were when he told me I WAS LUCKY he called back on friday with the information he was about to present me because he wasnt scheduled to call me until monday (even though he knew i was renting a vehicle at almost a $100 dollars a day). I told him that was "big of him" since Honda decided to cut corners and save money by putting a 4 speed transmission on a 6 cylinder engine without the proper ability to sustain itsself and that everything was all better now that he called before he was scheduled to. I feel SO LUCKY. He also told me "hey listen, failures happen". Yeah. Im sure they do. Especially when you KEEP putting that 4 speed transmission back on the same engine so you dont have to spend money to create the right version and hoping that with enough lawyers that the consumer will be stuck with the problem and not the company. I still dont know how I got out of it paying only $675 plus tax though. Seems like i keep reading about people who were still under warranty paying for labor but not parts which still added up to about the same Im paying. I wonder if it was because I kept quoting parts of the settlement agreement from the 2006 class action lawsuit and saying I was just looking for a new personal cause haha. I feel like theres something Im missing though. Why wasnt the first transmission covered with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty? I also was not aware that the last settlement passed was in year 2007. The case manager and I were going back and forth reading lines from what we had and finally i asked what year his information was passed in and his was later. Mine said it was the Final ruling and it was the latest i could find online but he had one dated later (of course). I feel like this is big business at its worst. There really is no accountability when a corporation gets this big. Its a shame. How can something have a warranty that is a flaw to begin with in the first place? Isnt that called a lemon? No one is saying that mistakes dont happen but any good business either has to give money back or give unbroken/unflawed merchandise as replacement for unreliable damaged goods. Its a matter of safety and condusive to not being "a fraudulent entity". :lemon:
    Where and when did you get your car serviced? I got a quote of 2800 + fees + taxes + freight. I have to pay 50% of the total. So in reality, I'll end up almost paying the full amount you listed above and Honda will not lose a nickel.

Thanks, JW_R
  • angelpn74angelpn74 Member Posts: 3
    Honda cars of Boston in Everett MA. But as they pointed out after I was extremely assertive with them...they are just the middlemen third party people when it comes to the actual decision of what you have to pay. They gave me a super hard time the first time I had to fix the transmission a year ago and I didnt know any better and let them. The mechanic basically made ME feel like a jerk for even asking what if it happened again (at that time I didnt know much about the recall). He told me at that time that the replacement he put in had a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty but that hes NEVER EVER SEEN ANYONE BRING ONE BACK FAILED AGAIN (and yes he said it like i typed it). I feel like thats why I got "a deal" this time around because werent the replacements supposed to have a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty(if you can call a warranty on a "new" faulty transmission and getting stuck paying for 675 plus tax for a old faulty transmission a year later as a deal). This time I researched the law, the specs on exactly what was going on with the failures, and why, and came at them aggressively and angrily. They said they would report their findings to Honda and would just have to await the decision and I said I would also be speaking to Honda as well. I called corporate and was given a case manager and the story goes on from there. Your paying more than just labor costs it sounds like JW R. Was your vehicle within the parameters of the class action suit and thus under the extended warranty of 109,000 miles or 93 months (which ever came first)? I have been reading about consumers who are still having to pay for labor even if they do fall under the warranty. Also, there seems to be a few stories of those who are paying less to nothing. It doesnt seem consistant but it is skewed towards Honda faring waaay better than the consumer in most cases. Like i said before...when you make something that fails and can be a safety hazard isnt that a lemon :lemon: ? Bad business.
  • sparkysparky Member Posts: 1
    We have approximately 31,000 miles on our 2006 Odyssey. We recently noticed that the transmission was slipping when putting the van in reverse. In was then determined that the transmission needed to be replaced. In reading this thread it seems that Honda has long been aware of transmission problems and its seems like this continues to be an issue. Fortunately, our van was still under warranty. The bad news is that they will not extend the warranty with this installation.

On a separate note, we have had a continued problem with getting the van to start on the first turn of the key. This has been a problem since we hit around 10,000 miles. To this point, our dealer has not been able to give us a fix with this.
    Paul,

I have a 2001 doing the same thing as yours, except mine has a leak as well. What can be done to fix the leak or is the leak caused possibly by the sludge build up or is it coming out of the half shaft seals? I crawled underneath and looked at it but its such a mess I couldn't tell where the leak is coming from.

Thanks in advance and congrats on a job well done. I am very disappointed in Honda's response.

+JW_R
  • cindy0345cindy0345 Member Posts: 6
    HELP! When my 2002 Odyssey goes from park to reverse the first time of the day there is a loud thud and vibration. The colder the day, the worse the thud, but only the first time each day. Dealership is stumped: replaced all motor mounts, replaced transmission, torque converter, and computer.
    I saw a post from 2 yrs ago with same problem, so it is not just me - small consolation! Any ideas out there?
    Cindy,

Is your fluid low? Any engine lights on?

My 2001 has a tranny leak and when the fluid is low does the same. When I replace the fluid the problem is goes away.

Was your tranny replace for free? How much were the motor mounts? Where did you have the car serviced?

JW_R
    No - everything seems fine. The van has only been serviced at the Honda dealership we purchased it at. At first we were charged and paid, thinking the problem was resolved, but next day . . . we have all decided to try to resolve the problem first, then review the original charges.
    I have to assume the fluid is not low - this would have been addressed during the trans replacement and subsequent visits. I go to a NJ Honda dealership - although they have not resolved the issue, and it has been very long, they have been good to us and recently upgraded our loaner vehicle.
    JW-R, does your 2001 make the thud only the forst shift of each day? And is it louder when colder outside?
    Just curious.
  • 00odyssey00odyssey Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I see that the people on this forum are knowledgeable Honda owners. I have owned my 2000 Honda Odyssey for about 7 years now. Prior to owning this Honda I owned an Accord for about 6 years. My Odyssey is becoming less of an Odyssey now that I am having transmission problems. I have taken good care of the car, but in the last year and a half the missing in the transmission has repeatedly gotten worse and the engine light stays on all the time now. I cannot even pass emissions because of it. I noticed in some future posts some of you have had Honda replace the transmission. How? I received no communications from Honda or the dealer of such problems. Is there anything I can do now to get Honda to honor any previous recalls to this problem?

- 2000 Odyssey
    - Approx 138K miles on the vehicle

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Check the transmission issue section
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Odyssey#Transmission_issues

then go further to find settlemet by input VIN no. to check if your car is in the list.
    http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com/php/login.php
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I think most examples of a transmission failing after a fluid flush, is due to the high mileage on the fluid before it was changed. Change the fluid every 30-50k miles and you should be okay.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • 00odyssey00odyssey Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. I spoke with Honda and they agreed to help with the repair suprisingly, but I am not sure if it is help. They are telling me it would cost me $2700.00 to install a new transmission at the dealer. Is this a good deal or should I press the issue further? The dealer misdiagnoised the issue from the beginning and I feel they should participate in the repair. They want to charge me $732.60 to install the new assembly. Should I try to get them to participate in the repair?

Thanks!
    What did the settlement say? Did it include labor, car rental? If your VIN is inside the settlement then read the fine prints before calling.
  • transprobtransprob Member Posts: 11
    Honda Odyssey and Pilots from 2000-possibly 2005 or 2007 have had numerous transmission problems and can lock up and cause crash. See NHTSA-ODI. If you have a problem with your Honda transmission you can report it @ www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov and report it to Honda at 1800-999-1009. If they will not replace a defective transmission then report to the Better Business Bureau.
    Have you heard back to Honda? I talked to Jose also. He would not offer any help. Honda is aware of their transmission problem, but apparently unwilling to make it right. You can report the transmission problem at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov. and also to the Better Business Bureau. If there are enough complaints, maybe another class action law suit will make Honda do the right thing--replace all the defective transmissions. I have 2 Hondas and I was a loyal Honda customer, but with one failed transmission and a 2nd on the way, I will never buy Honda again. When Toyota realized that one of their vehicles' body rusted prematurely they showed INTEGRITY and bought back all of the vehicles affected regardless of their milege or wear and tear. That is what I want a company that stands behind their product and is willing to make it right when there is a problem. Honda knows there is a problem with their transmission, but wont do anything to make it right.
  • mdkeplersmdkeplers Member Posts: 1
    We are seriously considering a 2009 Ody. I currently drive a 1999 Ody. Honda paid for two new transmissions in it. One at 25,000 & one at 121,000 miles. The Ody currently has 233,000 miles on her. She ain't pretty but she still gets me where I want to go. I commute over 100 miles round trip in her daily. Honda stood by the faulty transmissions. 2005 and beyond transmissions do not seem to have the problems the 99-04 models did.
    Any more info on the lawsuit? It is so wrong that Honda will not replace all of these faulty transmissions. You can file a complaint at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov and the Better business bureau, maybe someone will do something about Honda's lack of integrety.
    Honda would not stand behind my 2003 Honda transmission problem. I am contacting an attorney about a class action lawsuit. Honda may have in the past helped, but even though I had my serviced by a dealer they would not do anything to help. If they continue this there reputation will decline. They just need to replace any of the faulty transmissions.
    One at 25K and one at 121K? Wow Honda is less reliable than GM- not reassuring.

What kind of warranty did you get on your transmission replaced at 25K?

JW_R
    Too bad Honda still will not fix these transmissions. They are dangerous and can lock up and cause crashes. Toyota owned up to a rust problem that didnt even pose a safety issue like the Honda transmission. They bought all the rusted vehicles back for more than they were worth to keep customers happy and keep their good reputation. At least they care about integrity. Honda has much to be desired in the area of integrity. I'm looking into trading both my Hondas in for Toyota, since they are willing to go beyond their obligation to the customer and care about their customers.
  • pinewoodpinewood Member Posts: 3
    I am also a victim of the transmission issue. In 2004 recall, Honda changed my transmission for some other issue. Now I have a transmission issue. The engine goes off whenever I wait for a signal or stop at stop sign. I have owned so far 2 accords, one odyssey and one civic. I tried to reach out to Honda for this problem and they were ready to change transmission for $2800. Even if I change, the problem may not go away unless Honda gives me 5 year/100,000 miles warranty on transmission. Hence I have changed my plan. No more Honda's in my life any more. I went and bought a Ford Fusion instead of civic. No more odyssey. I will run this odyssey until it dies and think about changing the transmission and selling it. One workaround for my problem: Change it to Neutral or Park when you stop. Technically you need to drive like a semi automatic. Good Invention Honda. You deserve an innnovation award of the year.
  • rfreitasrfreitas Member Posts: 63
    I had my transmission replaced about 9 months ago in my 2002 at the dealership, you can find my story in this forum, so I won't repeat it. But I paid $3000 and they said it included a 3yr/36k mile warranty. My wife just called and said the transmission stalled. Sounds like I am on my way for my 2nd replacement.
  • badhondaownerbadhondaowner Member Posts: 1
    I am joining the club too. My Honda Odyssey broke down after 97K miles on my trip to Charlotte, NC. I drove @350 miles from Detroit and TR failed on I77 Near Parkersburg, WV. Very dissatisfied by the Dealer Service who first told me that it is under warrenty. Took advantage of my situation and end up paying $3200 total.. I called few friends who owns Odyssey.. they reported the same issues on their vehicle too. One was broken down @27K and the other was @78K miles on Vacation trip. Just called the customer care but no help... NO MORE HONDA IN MY LIFE NOW..
  • dzturtledzturtle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Odyssey with the same issue; died this weekend. They are offering me 25% and now I am having to send documentation, etc. Did you have to fight to get the 60/40 split??? I had complained in 2003 twice and then again in 2007 and 2008. I am so frustrated! I am about the 6th person I know that has had issues. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
  • fuhondafuhonda Member Posts: 1
    Single owner of 2002 Odyssey, have kept up on ALL mantinence. Three weeks ago learned our transmission has suffered a "total failure" and needs to be replaced. It failed just shy of 80,000 miles! I was so pissed, called dealer and arranged a meeting with factory rep. as the fix was going to be around $5,000. Factory rep was a tool and a total weasel who said verbatim, "...if I pay 100% on your replacement, I will have to do it for everyone." Well, isn't that the point dude, you have a nationwide issue, stand behind your work! I told him that one way or another I will get this covered, either by him or once the NEXT class action goes forward. Just tell me where to sign up. Until then, it sits in the garage, I refuse to spend a cent of my money of this crap.
  • billybuddbillybudd Member Posts: 2
    I just discovered this Honda Odyssey transmission issue today as my 2003 Odyssey started having problems this weekend. The transmission is slipping and stuttering like many others have described in this forum. Took the car to the local dealer and I'm told that it will cost me $4,202 (labor $968, parts $2,737, alignment after the work $104, replace motor mounts $392)! I don't have the extended warranty. :( However, I did do the scheduled transmission fluid replacement at 31k and 65k. In addition, it was included in the 04-021 Transmission recall and the Oil Jet Kit was added. I'm going to start calling the different Honda dealers in the area and American Honda to see if I can get it replaced. I am so glad that I found this forum. It will give me some ammo for my "discussion" with the dealer.
    Still so many consumers buy this van. I traded in 07 Odyssey after 7 months ownership. Tansmission failure in less than 100k is a joke. Though the tranny did not act up in my short 7 months owned the Ody, soft brake issue, different kind of noises (wind, road, accelerator) are 2 major things on my decision to dump my Ody. Anyway I feel you guys pain.
    I forced Honda to pay 50% of everything because I found the leak at 105K, but I didn't take it to Honda until 113K. I didn't know the warranty was extended to 109K and thought it was already out of warranty-rats!!!! Otherwise I would have taken it in at 105K and I would have forced them to pay the whole thing.

You just have to be really persistent- I was for the last 2 months. Honda offered 0% at first, then 25% of $3400, then 25% of $2800, and now 50% of $2800 (see below).

Costs Honda gave me:
    Tranny + Torque Converter: = $1801.13
    Fluid = $65.82
    Clips = $8.72 + $1.22
    Labor = $925

Total = $2801.89

After 50% discount

Total = $1400.95

I am really annoyed at Honda's inferior to Toyota quality and perhaps this is the last Honda I will own.

JW_R
    .... You just have to be really persistent- I was for the last 2 months. Honda offered 0% at first, then 25% of $3400, then 25% of $2800, and now 50% of $2800 (see below). ....

This shows Honda was trying NOT TO PAY for failure of Honda product(s).
  • billybuddbillybudd Member Posts: 2
    As an update to my post #1025 ...

I spoke to my local dealer and complained about the number of problems I've found online, mentioned the talk of class action lawsuits and that I've seen posts that Honda has offered "Goodwill" warranties. I also explained that I have my records showing that I flushed the transmission fluid at 31k and 65k. The dealer said that he would call Honda for me to see if they would pay for the replacement. A few hours later he called me back saying that Honda would cover 75% of the replacement. So I will be paying $1,155 for a re manufactured transmission and a new "computer". This is much better than the $4,202 that they quoted me first.

In addition, my good friend who has a 2002 Honda Odyssey took their car in today with transmission problems. I told them about what I found on this forum and they got the same deal as well - Honda is paying 75%.
    billy...

Good For You!

Hope the other Ody owners have the same luck dealing with this tranny problem.
  • vanmom6vanmom6 Member Posts: 12
    I had no idea about the Honda transmission problems or ext. warranty UNTIL my Odyssey started having trouble last week. PO 740 code. TCS light on. Check Engine light. Slipping. Now they tell me I need a new transmission. Asked if I qualified for the "silent warranty". Who knows about "silent warranties"? Sounds like Honda is trying to get away with a design problem that should have been recalled..... Called Honda American. My car has 94k miles (under the 100K) but I've had it 6 months past the ext. warranty. 99 months- (warranty for 93 months and/or 100k). I bought a Honda so I wouldn't have these kinds of problems. Honda said I can file a claim and then be assigned a case manager, but I have to get the car to a Honda dealership, pay them to diagnose it, and then wait for an investigation. My husband is starting a business after having been laid off recently, we have 4 kids! Has anyone been successful at getting Honda to do the right thing AFTER the ext. warranty has expired??? Do I have a chance or should I just pay at the local transmission shop?
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    If you go back through the thread you'll find a lot of useful information on this topic.

I don't know the answer to your question, however many people have had good luck with Honda paying for some if not all of the transmission after the warrantee expires.
    Honda still needs to do it on their pace, not yours
    so go ahead to follow the proper procedure, file a claim and then be assigned a case manager... and see what Honda offers

Did you check the VIN# whether your Ody is under the Honda transmission settlement?

You can borrow or rent a car for the time being.
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, my "01 Odyssey is under the transmission settlement. I just hate to have to fight for Honda to take responsibility. I've read the thread... do using words like "class action law suit" "design problem" "goodwill warranty" help?
    After 3 weeks (last visit only) and 2 transmissions (and 4 other visits to the dealer) I have now been told this thud is "normal" in 2002 Odysseys. Does anyone else have a 2002 Odyssey? Please tell me if you get a loud thud (as if the trans fell out of the car!) from park to reverse the first time you start the car each day.

I need some info to fight with.
    I did take my Odyssey to the Honda dealership. Tech told me what I already knew- need new transmission. Kept asking if I'd had it serviced by Honda. Kept telling him "no, but here are all my records." I now have a case # with Honda American and waiting to see what they say... in the meantime I'm borrowing other moms' vans to carpool my 4 kids around. They don't mind- I've let them borrow my Honda while there Fords, Town and Countries, Mercury ...vans were in the shop. I'll post when I hear from Honda!...
  • jmd08560jmd08560 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Odyssey. It has 196,000 miles. I also get this thud occasionally. I have had very good luck with the car until now. It was just diagnosed with code 0420 (Catalytic converter) and 0740 (bad transmission). The check engine light has been going on and off for about 3 or 4 years. The car still runs generally great. I want to know how long I can drive like this because I don't intend to get the work done. It would not be worth the money. Will it die all at once or will I have time to drive it to the donation center?
  • dragonlady3dragonlady3 Member Posts: 5
    I also have a 2000 Odyssey. I have loved this vehicle, however, at about 187,000 miles I noticed that when the van was in reverse, it was not moving when I pressed the gas pedal, and my mechanic (not at the dealer) said it was the transmission. I replaced it for about $3,000.00. Since I was out of the warranty and had enjoyed 187,000 miles without an issue, I did not push Honda for any reimbursement. I am the only owner and have had the maintenance done on a regular basis. I also have the catalytic converter problem. I replaced it with a non-Honda brand, and it only worked for about 3 months - then the light came back on. The Honda brand is expensive. I have not decided what to do at this point.

When your transmission goes out, you will just stop in your tracks. At least that is what I was told. Kind of a dangerous situation.

I expect my van to last another 50,000 miles at least.
    Honda has offered to lower the price to $2100 and then $1700. I still feel this is not right since it is obviously a design problem with the transmission. I paid top dollar (when you had to get on a wait list for an Odyssey) so that I would have stellar reliability! To have to replace a transmission at 94k miles sounds like a Ford! I gave the case mgr all of my service records (had changed trans. fluid 2x already), and spent the last week on the phone about 2 hours a day. Terrible customer service from American Honda. Don't get me started!!! I opened my case last FRiday and it took them a whole week just to get me a decision from the cm. I could've have gone to local transmission shop for $1800.
    What is status of any law suits? Where do I sign up?
    how did your story end? My Odyssey is at the shop now and they wanted to charge me $3200 and after a week of stressful debate they've agreed to come down to $1700. Was your covered? My car has 94k and 99 months.
  • epipkoepipko Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 / 86K miles Odyssey's transmission needs to be replaces. Dealer told me that they're willing to split the cost 50/50. That means that I have to pay $1750.
    I called American Honda and asked them about the settlement as my van falls right into it. Honda's answer was: "The settlement is for extended varanty and nothing more". I told them that dealer is willing to split the cost and the answer was: "Take it. They most likely contacted American Honda we authorized it". What else can I do. I really don't want to spend that money. Maybe it's time to switch to Toyota?!
    The settlement is for extended varanty

Are you within extended warranty?
  • odyssey01ownerodyssey01owner Member Posts: 4
    I would take the $1700. The dealership said that it would cost us $3200 too, they wouldn't come down or help even after we talked to them about the honda transmission settlement. We took it to a different place that was recommended to us and they could only do it a little cheaper... $2800... I would do the $1700 that is a good deal.
    I paid $1385 or 50% of $2800 for my 2001 Odysseey Trans replacement. For some reason is came out a bit less than $1400. You should not pay a penny more than this.

I got my car serviced at Anderson Honda in Palo Alto, CA- the priciest place on the planet.

+JW_R
  • epipkoepipko Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for your replies. Even though I am very pissed, I took your advise, called the dealer and scheduled my transmission replaced. They said that the price may come down a bit bellow $1400 (hope so).
  • marniekmarniek Member Posts: 1
    Yes! I get that sound every AM as I back out of my driveway. Also starting to experience transmission problems - gear slippage, sudden loss of power - at 90K. My mechanic put in new transmission fluid after the first power loss and the old fluid was discolored and full of metallic particles (bits of my transmission?). I brought it in to the dealer from whom I bought it in 2004 for the recall service and they installed the oil jet. I have been going through my records and I see that they did this even though it was at 35K. At that mileage they should have done a photographic inspection and only installed the oil jet if there were no signs of discoloration in the transmission. Otherwise they should have replaced the transmission. When I called this dealer Sat AM they said there was nothing they could do for me. I will be calling back Mon AM to ask for copies of the photos and then I will be calling Honda NA. This forum has been so helpful. I wish I had read it earlier!