Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• auroraodysseyauroraodyssey Member Posts: 1
    Does sound like a good price given the mileage, but the transmission issue is a concern. We bought our 2001 Odyssey used in 2004 with around 25k miles. Transmission failed at around 60k, replaced by dealer under warranty, new one failed at around 99k miles, replaced by dealer again under warranty. We're now at 128k miles and no problems so far, but just waiting for this transmission to go bad, knowing that this time we won't have the warranty coverage to pick up the bill.
  • pgnagelpgnagel Member Posts: 60
    Your 2001 has the same transaxle as my 1999. Service the transmission at least annually. Install an external cooler and filter. If you do this and don't drive it like a race car the transaxle will live a longer, happier life.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    " 2004 with around 25k miles. Transmission failed at around 60k, replaced by dealer under warranty, new one failed at around 99k miles, replaced by dealer again under warranty."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------
    Honda just doesn't get it on this a/t problem, never did and apparantly never will.

Rather than replace the problem parts in the thing with upgrades that last, they just keep putting OEM rebuilds back in with the same unreliable parts until you run out of warranty or 'Good Will' then the dealerships $woop in for the kill with a/t repair bills worth more than the Van..

Too bad anyone who is thinking that the Honda brand stands for quality, misses reading these forums first!

Find an independent re-builder who understands the Honda a/t problems and can gaurantee a proper re-build, or get rid of it, cut your losses and move on. :sick:
  • john_m_daleyjohn_m_daley Member Posts: 1
    I just had my second transmission fail on my '01 Ody. Basically Honda USA said "Too bad, the warranty has expired". If anyone has advice on how to get any kind of help from Honda I would appreciate it.
  • kazmazkazmaz Member Posts: 13
    Having scoured the Internet there is no doubt Honda has a real design problem with several transmissions (accords, civics, pilot) in addition to the Odyssey. Replacement transmissions don't solve the problem, as judged by subsequent premature failures. What to do? I plan to sell my 2002 Odyssey, despite its' 67K reliability to date. That's a pity cos it's otherwise a great van to drive, that's why I selected it over all others. I'll likely replace it with a Toyota, which at least has a decent reliability record. Bottom line: NO MORE HONDA's FOR ME. I HOPE HONDA IS LISTENING! Their reputation will ultimately suffer.
    Check out Jasper transmissions:http://bkstest1.com/Automatic Transmission/Honda_rebuilt_remanuf- actured_new_transmission_informations.html Ask them what is the problem and what do they do to fix it. Can't find the link where I read a list of changes they make, but they seem to know more than Honda is willing to tell.

This reminiscent of my Subaru SVX that similar tranny woes (shared by Nissan Pathfinder, same tranny), and needed extra cooling. Like Honda, Subaru never stepped up to help. And it was a terrific car to drive. Independent mechanical shops thankfully brought out modifications, including a popular manual O/D tranny. Never thought it could be so hard to select a reliable car. The faster we move, the worse it gets.

Good luck!
    Does anyone know the % of Odysseys that have actually reported tranny failure?
    Also, are failures less common in Odysseys mostly driven on the highway? I'm trying to determine whether the tranny fails in stop-go traffic type driving. At least it's a start.
    edited November 2010
    For many years Chysler/Dodge/Plymouth Mini Vans also had biodegradable automatic transmissions that regularly fried and failed. The Indy shops that did re-builds figured out where the problem areas where in the things and came up with a "Repair Kit" that had all the parts for a re-builder to install in the weak spots.

I had a problem 1992 Dodge Mini Van tranny done with the "repair Kit" parts and I'm still driving it today... December 2010. In a Class ACtion Law suit against Chysler for knowingly producing disfuntional a/t's, the "repair kit" was used as evidence against them.
    (Chysler blamed 'user error' or any other lame excuse their lawers could dream up to continue the a/t farce and deny deny deny) I think they wrote the book on how to stall and fight warranty claims on their a/t's.

Honda will at least cut you some slack on an OEM re-built if you had a warranty claim, and they extended the milage under coverage, BUT without a re-engineered pile of replacement parts the Honda re-built is just as likely to die of the same causes as the old one.
    Hopefully some Indy re-builders will come up with better aftermarket parts that will really fix the Honda a/t's and not just patch it up until it breaks again.

I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey AND a 1992 Dodge Grand Caravan, so I'm well aware of the consequences of owning these rolling time bombs..
    For more than you ever wanted t know about Honda Odyssey a/t's look here....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APC9JS6DdSo&feature=related
  • lweyandlweyand Member Posts: 2
    I'm also on my second transmission w/a 1999 Odyssey; put in the new one this past June for $4000, but the dealer refused to give any kind of warranty. Now 5 months later I'm starting to have problems shifting out of Park, and can't shift into anything lower than D-3. I think the outcome is that dealerships are making some big $$ replacing transmissions in these things, so there's no problem as far as they're concerned. For those of us who own them, it's a BIG problem. One that they're not willing to address with a long-term solution?!?
    Would you please post the reply you get back from customer support? Thanks.
    Here's the response from Jasper Engineering, and I quote:

"We have found through many failed units inspected that these have a high failure rate due to cooler issues. We provide a larger stand alone trans cooler with our units.
    This is info we advise the shop on the unit you are asking about....

****IMPORTANT INSTALLATION INFORMATION****

Due to overheating & bluing of the torque converter, 100% of these units will include the required transmission cooler (P/N LPD4490). Installation instructions will be included along with the unit & cooler. NOTE: Please allow an additional 2 hours for the installation of this cooler."

Jasper seems have nailed the problem, as expected, to overheating due to lack of cooling. Although obvious to all Odyssey owners, why has Honda so little to say except replace the defective A/T with the same A/T that ultimately fails again?

Anyone had experience with the Jasper replacement A/T??
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    simple. They won't come out and say it, or start putting these coolers on replacements, since they would effectively be admitting it was a design flaw all along, and create a flood of people looking for free coolers.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited December 2010
    >effectively be admitting it was a design flaw all along, and create a flood of people looking for free coolers.

...people looking for free coolers along with replacement transmissions since theirs had already been damaged by running how with the lack of proper cooling.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

When you read this it's a wonder any A/T lasts at all:http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/transmission/ques123_0.html

It doesn't take much to overheat an A/T, be it stop-go city driving or high speed highway driving in hot weather. Best thing you can do, however, is to add a larger cooling unit to keep the temp down and reduce wear. All you Odyssey (and Civic, Accord, etc)-owners out there take heart: there may still be time to save your tranny with this simple "fix".

Give me a manual 5-speed tranny any day!
    Does anyone know of a 5-speed manual transmission for the Odyssey? It's been done for the Subaru SVX.
    well, if they had offered one when the 2005 redesign came out, I know they would have sold at least one. And I wouldn't worry about putting miles on the van, trying to nurse it through a full life span so I can trade it before getting stuck with a big bill!

still annoyed I waiting too long at the beginning to get an extended warranty, when there were people over at odyclub selling them at almost dead cost.

oh, if you want to try it, it may not be possible no matter how much money you want to invest.

the powertrain is there, from the Accord V6 6 speed, but I would not be surprised if there isn't enough room in the footwell for a clutch. But, I will check that out this weekend!

could be interesting choice though in 1-2 years when it is time for new wheels, if I can get the wife to consider the ford C-maxx, if that is offered with a stick (or the Mazda 5 which is).

I would appreciate whatever you find. Never thought of the Accord V6. Funny, I was recently looking at the Mazda5 for the 5-speed stick option. Trying to convince my wife it's big enough after the huge Odyssey.
    the wife is ready to downsize. Although she tends to take 2x what we need when we travel, so getting the van was feeding the addiction!

now that 1 kid is in college and the other in HS, and in a year can start driving, we really can live without the seating capacity, and spend most of the time driving around a big empty box (with 1 person too).

so in theory, a 5 would be a perfect alternative, although she seems to not like the van aspects. So I expect some sort of mid-size CUV (Santa Fe size) is more likely.

but, we shall see what she likes and what the budget allows when the time comes (probably not for 2 years at this point).

• sail2thesunsail2thesun Member Posts: 3
    American Honda treated us horribly! Our transmission began slipping and eventually quit on us while we were beginning our vacation. We had it towed to Fox Honda in New York. They replaced the tranny and handed us a bill for $3,500. We called American Honda and after 4 months of runaround, they told us we were SOL! We WERE a Honda family.
  • sail2thesunsail2thesun Member Posts: 3
    We're on our third transmission in our Odyssey :mad: ! Now the TCS engages at ambient temps below 50F, and we have to wait more than 45 minutes before we can restart the engine and drive. Otherwise, the TCS stays engaged and we have to drive with the brakes partially engaged and are unable to accelerate at a safe rate.

Our Honda dealer told us we need to buy a new computer ($1,000) in order to fix it.

To make matters worse, the motors in both cargo doors have stopped working and we aren't able to use those doors!

This vehicle has been a real lemon!

BOOOOO, HONDA!!!!!

If anyone can help, please let us know!
  • ignorisblissignorisbliss Member Posts: 27
    Hello all from Ignoranceisbliss,
    Yes I was happy for the last 3.75 years with my 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L. Grey leather seats for 8, sun-roof, no problems, just beautiful. I was planning to buy out lease in April of 2011 and then I checked the latest Consumers Report magazine. From well above average for "Transmission Major" for the last 3.75 years to the "basement" well bellow average all of a sudden. Excuse my language and I am civilized and well educated but WTF!!!!!!!! First of all CR you really "dropped the ball" What happened here????? I researched the internet and holy smokes CR open your eyes!!!!!
    Secondly, Honda you've got problems. These torque converters of yours have to hit the dust bin.
    Fellow Odyssey owners if you want to know whats going on go to website:
    allpar.com/fix/torque-converter.html.
    This article is for a different transmission but it explains when and why you feel "judder" and why the Honda "judder recall".
    Honda admits they didn't program the Ridgeline transmission correctly for the Odyssey. Incorrect shift points was causing the converter to burn up and break up and bits possibly entering the rest of the transmission. If you got reprogrammed early then perhaps you were saved the damage such as I was. If you got a reconditioned converter put in count on it lasting only about 60K.
    Anyway, keys are going back to Honda in April "Thanks but no thanks!"
    You certainly won't be getting the $18,000 buy-out. HA HA HA HA!!!!!
    It's yours in April BABY!!!!!
    Anyway for the rest of you who are keepers chin up. This Ridgeline transmission may prove to be realiable even though the converter will be replaced every 60K so maybe the 2007 won't be that bad after all.
    Signing off,
    Ignoranceisbliss Butexpensive
    Ignoranceisbliss,
    Oh yes. More useful information for Honda Odyssey owners. Go to Wikipedia.
    It's really shameful for Honda when Wikipedia discusses your transmission woes on their website.
    Anyway this site tells you what your transmission problem is for your particular year.
    99-01 was the 4 speed had a bearing break-up problem.
    02-06 was the 5 speed tranny with 3rd gear clutch pack problem and cooling of 2nd gear.
    It doesn't say so but the 07 got the Ridgeline tranny.
    08-11 got a different tranny yet.
    Look up MDX and Pilot they too have torque converter problems.
    The problems go on and on and on and on and on and on!!!!!!!
    Honda, engineer a bicycle transmission first and see if you can get it right!!!!
    Bye,
    Ignoranceisbliss Butexpensive
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    How many of you have had to replace your transmisisons while you had a cooledr installed? :confuse:
    CR has been an Enabler for Honda now for many years, even if the bosses Odyssey went up in flames in the parking lot CR would ignore the smoke.

People have used CR as the first line defence against buying Lemon Prone Loser cars and trucks,,,But CR is so out to lunch on Honda they gave the best buy on the Odyssey for years, until the a/t problems got so bad you could smell the burnt transmission fluid in the air.
    CR finally started to back off on the great ratings..but too late to protect the public and Honda has sold boatloads of Odysseys in North America. They also unloaded hundreds of thousands of other Honda and even Acura cars onto the buying public using the same poorly designed a/t's. the Odyssey does. All the newest CR rating are doing is making our old Odysseys worthless on the market.

Yes the Tourqe Coverters are junk, and yes there are gears that run dry and burn up, and yes, the poor design of the a/t housing didn't alow for any servicing of the fliter, now full of debris from all the carnage going on thoughout the transmission.

So it's a long series of problems Honda ignored and chose to keep their heads down and simply replace the a/t's with more of the same rather than re-design the things and leave themselves open to a total a/t recall if owners found out that Honda knew what the weaknesses were.
    A/T rebuilders are still working on the Honda problems as some of them actually warranty their work for longer than Honda did on the original transmissions. One re-builder in Draper Utah (certifiedtransmission) sends his re-builds out with a 5 year warranty.
    He is constantly working on the Honda a/t's (seems every second house in Utah has a mini van) and so, has a lot of answers...but Honda chooses to just slap in another factory re-build with the same wear issues and guess what, with the same disasterous results.
    I think Honda's just 'toughing it out' until our older Odysseys are all scrapped or abandoned because the a/t re-build costs more than the Van is worth. (I paid $34,000 for mine in 2003) Then with CR's help and eager car reviewers singing praises they hope to sell the latest model and hope we all just forgive, forget and buy another new one.
    Yes you are absolutely right. I called CR about their most recent rating change for the Odyssey 2007 and their response was "We have no information about why the rating changed."
    Meaning....we surveyed thousands of our readers and found a "spike" recently in "Major Transmission" problems for the 2007 (reports from customers) but didn't bother asking what the problem is???????????????
    Ha.....is this really informative or useful to their readers?
    Maybe a little embarassment on their part?
    People do rely on their information, but what is preventing from digging a little deeper?
    Is CR's relationship with the Japanese automakers really at arms length?
    I also find it very suspicious that on page 42 of their latest guide, vehicle ratings, that Honda has mysteriously disappeared from the minivan ratings?
    I see Toyota Sienna FWD at the top, next Sienna AWD, followed by Kia Sedona, Sienna LE, Volkswagen Routan, Chrysler Town and Country......hey where did Honda go.....oooopppssss.......What's going on CR? Dropped the ball finally?
    Forget the CR guide. In my eyes it is no longer useful.
    Lets look on the bright side though.
    North American automakers welcome back!!!!
    North American atuo plant jobs welcome back!!!!!
    GM's auto plant is Oshawa (Toronto), Canada is hiring like crazy.
    Why????? They make the Camaro, Equinox, and Regal here. WOW HAVE YOU SEEN THESE NEW CARS!!!!! I was in a GM showroom and I must say I am impressed.
    Some prince in Saudi Arabia just bought a major stake in GM. Is he on to something here?
    As I said earlier....keys on my lease are going back to Honda in April.
    Equinox is my next car...which CR "recommends" but I'm not relying on that!!!!!!
    Even Hondas with the tow package (tranny and steering coolers) are burning up their trannys. Please go to Wikipedia (Honda Odyssey) transmission problems area. ....tow package gives insufficient cooling.
    CR is not a conspiracy. The ratings are solely based on the survey responses. More problems, that rating dropped. They aren't in the business of investigative reporting to ferret out exaclty what is going wrong, but it gives you a heads up to research further.

and if the Odyssey disappeared, it is most likely because the old model is no longer for sale, and they had not yet tested the new one. So, there really isn't anything for them to rate!

Okay fair enough. But CR does provide "predicted reliability" for older vehicles for used car purchase.

The survey part is just the number of problems reported by readers. The "predicted reliability is CR's estimate for a used car purchase for different model years.

In the last issue, mentioned above, they show the predicted reliability for the 2010 model Odyssey. Used car prediction is well above average. How can CR come to this conclusion. The 2007 "transmission major" just dropped through the floor. Previous model years ratings for the Odyssey "transmission major" are continually dropping.
    This should be a red flag to CR. Known problems from 99-01 of a bearing burning up. In 2002 a change in transmission to a 5 speed. More 5 speed transmission problems reported re: 3rd gear clutch pack and 2nd gear burning up. Every new issue the ratings drop more and more for the 02-06.
    Honda goes to the Ridgeline transmission for 07. Ratings for this transmission drop through the floor from well above average, last issue, to well below average to the latest issue. Honda goes to another transmission for 08-11. The 08 "major transmission" has already dropped to above average. A declining trend. Is there anything telling CR right now that Honda has got it right this time? Based on the poor past history of Honda transmissions CR has to look very closely at their current "predicted reliability" for the 2010.
    Widespread reported transmission problems in the Accord, TL, MDX (ratings still dropping to the year 2006 for the MDX). Shared transmissons across several platforms. Very poor survery results for these vehicles as well for "transmission major". Even Hondas tranny repairs are only temporary so they cannot even figure out the fix after 11 whole years!!!!!!!

So there really isn't any investigative reporting going on here. Widespread knowledge of these transmission problems. Even in Wikipedia....holy smokes!!!! So then looking at all of this information I do not understand how CR gives the 2010 an above average used car buy for the 2010. This is the problem I ran into in 2007 when I looked at CRs predicted reliability for the 2007. I made my decision based on their ratings.
    CR is really doing wishful thinking and not a historically, statiscally based estimate of future predicted reliability. To guess that Honda has really solved their transmission problems this time around is a wild guess and not based on history. Is there something telling CR that Honda has finally got it right? If they know something the public does not know they should come out with it. Their "predicted reliability" has to be based on past history. Nothing in the Odyssey's (or other models mentioned) history says the 2010 is an above average used car buy. Telling the public that the 2010 is an above average used car buy is just setting them up for more disappointment. Someone looking at the 2010 rating would say, "I'm buying the brand new 2011 because look at the above average rating on the 2010". This is exactly what happend to me and this has to be brought to a stop. CR...tell it like it is until Honda proves otherwise. Drop the 2008, 2009, 2010 rating for used car predicted reliability to below average (just like for my 2007) until Honda proves otherwise with a clean track record for at least a couple of years.
    This will tell anyone considering buying a 2011...hold on a second here.....Houston we have a problem!!!!!! : :sick:
  • nash1234nash1234 Member Posts: 22
    So I have a 2007 EX and I had two clunks in the past two months from my transmission - I only have 23k on the car and am getting worried about it.

I have CR's 2011 Buying Guide which was issued just recently (a month? two months? I can't remember) Ody 07 Transmission Minor and Major are rated "Much Better Than Average" in terms of Reliability. Based on what I saw above, I looked at their online version and it is the worst rating, "Much Worse Than Average." What changed in the last two months? I realize they just ran a survey again but did the results come in so quickly that they changed it again?
    For the 2007 it appears that torque converter failure is occuring at around 60K.
    Because 2007's are getting close to this mileage there appears to be a "spike" in failures reported to CR.
    See my post #1731. You could be experiencing the early signs of "judder" as per Honda's TSB for transmission "judder".
    You should have received a letter from Honda asking you to come in to have your TCM (transmission control software) reprogrammed. If you don't get it done you could experience torque converter failure (explanation in my post #1731 at allpar.com website. Allpar.com is for a different transmission but exact same problem.
    Apparently if the software update does not remedy the problem your torque converter will be replaced. I think you have to be under the 5 year, 60K warranty for it to be free or try "Goodwill replacement".
    If you did have the above work done, go to an independent mechanic and have him change, not flush, the transmission fluid with Honda's new DW-1 (synthetic) through a coffee filter and see if there are any metal shavings in the tranny to see the state of your tranny.
    This may help you decide what to do next....trade/get rid of it?
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the reply. I took it to the dealer this morning. It seems like I have broken motor mounts which will be replaced under warranty. 23k miles, already? Also the power steering pump and reservoir will be replaced under warranty (I had heard this would happen too). The car will be 3 yo on 12/22/10, so I had to get it in to do all the warranty work, although I realize drivetrain is 5yr-60k miles.

I had already taken it in for the TCM in July, hopefully this thing will hold up.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    I forgot to ask readers if they still had problems with the transmission if the installed an AFTER-MARKET cooker; like I had done at 264,000 kms.
    Okay that's good no torque converter problem.
    There are lots of reports of the rear engine mount failing early because of the VCM (variable cylinder management) turning on/off 3 of the 6 cylinders. The extra vibration when the engine goes to 3 cylinders (unbalanced engine) puts extra strain on the mount. The rear engine mount was underdesigned. When the rubber engine mount collapses you have the engine sitting on top of the metal part of the mount and hence lots of vibration.
    Unfortunately I think Honda is putting in a new mount but it is still the old desgin so possible failure again in 23k miles?
    But wait a seond you said you have the EX and not the EXL so you should not have the VCM?

I replaced just the power steering reservoir ($7 cost of part from Honda) and the whinning went away. This looks to me like a serviceable part meaning you replace it every so often just like an air filter. The reservoir actually has a mesh screen in the bottom of it. When it clogs it prevents enough fluid to go to the pump causing the whinning. The reservoir design has changed as well as now the cap is looser to let air out of the system like it is supposed to.
    So should you get the same problem in the future either replace it yourself or ask Honda to replace this $7 part before they replace the steering pump (big dollars).

Lastly, the 07's are having lots of torque converter issues as per Consumers Reports Magazine (a recent spike) recently so it appears like more failures are occuring as the mileage racks up. Failure seems to happen at an average of 60k miles. So be very leary of any unusual "judder" you may experience while still under warranty. If problems begin to surface consider your options.
    Hi again,

You are right, my car does not have the VCM - wonder why there is an issue with the mounts.

I must correct myself, I think they will only replace the power steering reservoir, I still have not picked up the car so I am not sure but most likely they won't replace the pump.

I will remember the issue about the torque converter issue. The warranty is 5yrs or 60k miles for drivetrain for 07s, isn't it?
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Calm down folks. I stumbled upon this by accident.

Here's what you need to remember: as others have said, CR ratings are survey-based. They are only reporting what owners are. If anything, the fact that the transmission rating went down should verify the overall accuracy of the ratings--it means it is picking up a known problem in the vehicle.

The ratings are comparative. So, a "better than average/worse than average" rating for a 2007 is compared to others 2007s, 2003 to 2003, and so on. You guys are looking at this in a vacuum. The truth is, virtually every vehicle has issues as it ages, and Honda's apparently fare better than most as time goes on. If you look at, say, a Chrysler Town and Country for 2007, you're going to see several black dots and several more half black dots across a broad spectrum of components.

There are hundreds of thousands of these vehicles on the road and relatively few problems with them. One of the known issues that does crop up is the torque converter issue and transmission issues. It doesn't mean that every vehicle has this problem, in fact most don't. But of vehicles that do have any type of problem, it generally is that.

I did have the judder issue in my 2007, but the transmission was reprogrammed and it has been fine since and I just traded it. The "judder" issue was covered under the powertrain warranty 5/60k, but on my 2011 I'm likely going to add the 8/120k extended warranty just to be safe since its a first year model.
    edited December 2010
    Yes true. As I said the survery results are the survey results. That is not my issue. CR's take on "predicted reliability" is my issue.
    As I have said in previous posts we are not talking about a couple of cars having a few problems. Due to Honda's sharing of parts cross many platforms we are talking about many models with the same problem, and not just for a couple of years, but for more then a DECADE. To boot Honda's replacement tranny's have the same problem. So how does CR in their wishful thinking rate the 2010 as an above average buy.
    Yes every car have their problems but when I read CR I scrutinize Engine Major and Transmission Major as these are major costs and when they breakdown the car goes nowhere (boat anchor). Much more weight has to be given to what will not make the car move.
    I would rather buy a vehicle with black dots in engine minor, transmission minor, engine cooling, fuel system, electrical, climate, brakes, exhaust, or others.
    The little things you can fix on the cheap side. Engine and transmission replacement is often more than the price of the car as it ages.
    So......what is telling CR that Honda/Acura have their transmission problems resolved. They haven't done it yet in a DECADE!!! Why are they telling their subscribers go ahead and buy....predicted reliability better than average for the 2010?
    Yes 5 years and 60K.
    So I spent about $125 for the trans fluid change and got the power steering issue (they replaced both the reservoir AND the pump!) and the mounts for free under warranty. Both front and RS mounts were broken. Not sure why so early....
    On a positive note for a change it sounds like 3/4 of the Odyssey's problems have surfaced early in your vehicle which can be looked at as a good thing because you are still under warranty.

Mechanics on this forum recommend changing the tranny fluid with Honda's new synthetic tranny fluid DW-1 (Honda likely put this in for you) once a year.
    But I will change it myself so I can check the fluid for signs of damage or have an independent mechanic check it out. If Honda replaces the fluid they won't tell you if things look bad for your tranny.,
    Some recommend an aftermarket transmission cooler installation as well.
    It's hard to comment if this will work as there is not much blog history on these....sounds like people are just putting them in now so only the future will tell if they work.
    Sounds like it wouldn't hurt though and it's a bit of insurance.

I would replace the reservoir (with the built in screen to catch contaminants once a year or every two years (it's only $7 from Honda and may save your pump from replacement in the future.

Your mounts were replaced. It might be worthwhile to find out if they put in the same or something more robust. If Honda tells you the same mount.....well whats to protect you in another 23K?

By following the above maintenance regimine maybe we can stay out of the shop for a long time.

Good Luck and take care!
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Predicted reliability is based on survey results. Compared to other vehicles, year by year, the Honda Odyssey has been more reliable, therefore the predicted reliability on a new van is better than average. That isn't supposed to mean that there are NO issues, just that there are FEWER issues.

There are tons of older Honda's running around with these parts that have never had a problem.

I'm not sure what your beef is. The survey results are perfectly transparent, anybody can see for themselves what they are and then make their judgement. Apparently you have decided that you'd rather pick a different (actually several different) poisions. I don't happen to agree with that decision, but it isn't my money.

As a way of protecting myself, personally, I'm going to use my money to purchase the extended warranty on my new 2011 Odyssey. Not because I expect the vehicle be unreliable--my 2007 was very reliable, the only issue on it was the aformentioned torque reprogram. But because any vehicle, once it reaches a certain age and mileage, is more likely to see some kind or problem, and with all the technology in these vehicles, those problems are pretty expensive to fix. For roughly $1200 I can be protected for the next year 8 years, 120,000 miles...seems like a smart decision to me. If I never have to use it, then so be it.
  • rockmobilerockmobile Member Posts: 115
    I'd suggest you take a look at the Equinox forum before making any decisions. I also like the Equinox but I would not touch one until all the problems clear.

I would be buying, not leasing, in which case I could be stuck with a lemon.
    I read the Equinox problems thread and it was a long one but it sounds like GM has got the problem fixed.
    The main poster was actually visited by a GM engineer in person who reprogrammed her PCM's "auto-grade braking" software.
    Sounds like the posters agreed that this was the problem.
    Interesting that Consumers Reports magazine also identified the Equinox's and Terrain's "reluctance to downshift".
    But I believe this new software came out in September so the problems should be licked.
    I test drove one last week and did not even remotely experience any problems.
    Speaking of CR they have rated the Equinox very well over the past 5-6 years. No rows of black dots for the big items (tranny and engine).
    Those are the ones I care about when I buy not the pittly stuff.
    Although I have bitched about CR before because of how they totally missed the boat on the Odysseys!!!
    Now I would like to start a new thread discussion. It's still part of transmission problems though.

TRANSMISSION FLUID FILTERING!!!!!!

When you've (Honda) had a string of bad luck of transmissions falling apart would it not be a good idea to do whatever you can to keep it going as long as you can?

So Honda knows my 2007 Odyssey has torque converter reliability issues. They are burning up. They tell me cause my PCM software had to be updated. I don't know.
    But otherwise would it not hurt to change, not flush my transmission fluid more regularily and the big one, change the filter.
    Over the past 4 years and 60,000 miles they have only recommended and flushed (1/3 of the transmission fluid) tranny and haven't changed the filter.
    What is up with that?
    Honda says the filter is not user serviceable.
    I'm getting the opposite info online.
    It's not as easy as changing and oil filter but not that much more difficult on a 2007.
    I don't know maybe they just want to replace the transmission instead of the filter?
  • coachnjcoachnj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 and 2001 Honda Odysseys. Each one has had 4 transmissions. The original milage was 89,000 miles and 82,000 miles. None of the Honda rebuilts lasted 20,000 miles. Each time they replaced saying its unusal for this to happen. Each time I was out the time of repair. Each time I was told that the rebuilts should last the life of the vehicle.

Now after a register letter to home office, they assigned it to a woman in the complaint department. After review they said that it was not worth their expense to replace these again since the milage on the one was 160,000 miles.
    I countered that the car is in good working order with no damage to the body, and that I have purchased 12 hondas in the past 10 years, and they can check that. Her final answer was that their finding is final. i told her that they were putting an expieration date on the Honda's by putting a milage limit on the Oddysey's. She never flinched and didn't even care if I never bought another Honda again.

This means your Honda has a limited value now set buy the milage. Your auto is unrepairable after 160,000 miles and Honda will not honor their poor workmanship regardless. It also says they do not give someone like me special treatment or priority for my faithfulness in their product. In fact they do not care!

I requested back in August a letter stating her findings and statement. To date I have not received a thing. Guess the sweeping it under the carpet is their best defense. To bad there isn't a class action suit, as I have two cars that can speak volumes.
  • melanie01melanie01 Member Posts: 1
    I am also on my 4th transmission the 2nd one was paid for and 3rd was still under warranty but now i was told that i was lucky because i actually had gone a little over on millage because when the 3rd was replaced it didn't mean it came with a new warranty the old warranty was still in place must of forgot to let me know that when it was replaced because no where on the paper work does this indicate that. And with this one the 4th their will be no warranty crazy huh! Oh and i guess that they have fixed the problem now and i wont have to worry about it anyway so lots and lots of people have had similar experiences as i have with transmissions. I really feel like we should all be refunded the 4000 that was paid on the 2nd that they now know was faulty but fixed yea i hope so.
  • dklpdklp Member Posts: 1
    Hello - just bought a 2010 touring and have about 7k miles on it. about 2k I took it in for vibration during decel. They put in the new software and swapped tires. still same problem. took a snap shot and sent it to Engineering. Customer service says its in tolerance. Curious if you still have vibration problem.
    dklp
    the tolerance for a shaking/vibration under decel should be none. If it was me, I would keep taking it back for the same complaint until they either fixed it, or it qualified for lemon law!

I assume you don't mean a shaking from the brakes, which could be warped rotors? Though that should be the first thing checked.

odds are it could be the TC. But, at least you are under warranty for years to come, so if it is that, likely the problem will get worse until they can't deny it exists.

Stick guy makes some good suggestions of things to check.
    Your vibration sounds different from everyone else's on this Forum.
    Torque Converter problems usually have a sympton of "shudder" which is very noticeable and feels like you are driving over rumble strips when you are driving at a constant speed between 35-45 miles per hour on a slight incline. There is no mistaking this as a TC problem.
    I have read several technical service bulletins from Honda/Acura about this specific problem and the fix is a software update or if that doesn't work then a TC replacement or entire transmission replacement.
    You describe your vibration as on deceleration.
    Does your car vibrate if you coast to a stop (don't touch the brakes)?
    Another common issue with the EX-L and Touring models is premature failure of the rear engine mount. Due to the constant vibration of the VCM when is turns on/off 3 of 6 cylinders this puts extra wear and tear on the rear engine mount. A Honda mechanic should be able to check for you to see if the mount has failed and the engine is directly sitting on the car frame. This is a very common cause of vibration for the Odyssey's.
    However, it is usually felt on acceleration.
    Last thing, if you have the run flat tires, these tires have been a nightmare for those who own them. Did Honda put on the same run flat tire?
    Ignorisbliss
    Riduculous, so I guess Honda is saying at 160,000 miles thats when most cars transmissions fail so you are on your own!
    Okay then Honda....take the same spiral down in sales as Toyota has in sales when you are not honest and try to hide your problems.
    These guys better realize that the majority of consumers don't complain but walk with their feet instead. A silent killer of automoblie sales.
  • kalavandikalavandi Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2011
    My 2002 Honda Odyssey transmission was broke in 2006 and honda replaced it with a re-manufactured one for $2600. it broke again in oct 2009. The dealer said eventhough it is within 3 yr warranty period my miles has exceeded by 600 miles. So the dealer indicated that I am basically screwed. I have decided, let's go American. I have advised all my friends and family members to avoid Honda.