Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'm not so sure as to the percentage, but I'm sure it's a higher than normal failure rate than what is typical for Honda.

The dealer that said there is no design flaw in the '02 transmissions is lying through his teeth. Honda has a flawed design and they know it, hence why they're offering to pay at least a little.

I'd contact a district manager or another dealer. You might not get 100% of it paid for by Honda, but you shouldn't have to shell out more than $500ish.
  • ody02tjkody02tjk Member Posts: 66
    Our 2002 Odyssey's transmission went at 63000 miles, just after the warranty was over. Initially, they wanted us to pay $4400 for a full replacement. When I balked at that, and told them what I had found on just this forum, they changed it to $2750 (for just the labor). After a liuttle more research on the extended coverage on the 1999-2001 transmissions, I called the dealer again, and he said that was the best they could do. I then called Honda of North America Customer Service (in the owners manual) and asked for a review of our case. We had several extended phone calls, where I pointed out their actions on their 99-01 transmissions, the class action suit, as well as the inherent design problems of the transmissions. after their review of several days, they called and said they would cover all but delivery of it. My advice: Call Honda of North America to get your's covered in full, if you get no satisfaction from the dealer. It took us 3 weeks, but after filing a case with their headquarters, they only charged us for the shipping of the transmission to the dealer ($125). We got a 3yr/36K Mile warranty on it as well. Read back on this forum, and you will find quite a few folks have gotten their replacements covered in full by their dealers.
  • mattgordymattgordy Member Posts: 5
    I don't where you live, but here in So. Cal., specifically North Hollywood, I didn't pay anything to have the trans. replaced. I had 78k on the car with NO warranty and my local dealer paid for the whole job including installation of a new computer. I didn't pay anything, not shipping or labor. They also added a 12k/1 year warranty on top. Honda North America KNOWS the 1999-2002 has transmission problems. You just have to be persistent and maybe steer them to other folks on this forum.
  • mguntermgunter Member Posts: 5
    I have a '99 Odyssey I brought in today for scheduled maintenance and was told my transmission is slipping and banging into place and should be replaced. After they mentioned it I did realize it seemed like the gears were not shifting like they used to. My dealership said they will goodwill the part (which they said costs more than $2,000) if I pay the labor cost which is estimated at $930.00. My '99 has 86,315 miles. Does this sound fair or should I not have to pay labor costs either? I bought the vehicle certified preowned from this dealership back in '01 and bought the extended warranty ( 7 years/70,000 miles), which has since expired. I checked out the website about the class action suit and my vehicle vin is included but I'm not sure what this means exactly for parts and labor costs. I greatly appreciate your input in this matter. I have been very pleased with my van over the years and never had transmission problems previously.
  • pgnagelpgnagel Member Posts: 60
    You should still be covered by the extended warrantee that Honda offered. I believe you have up to 100,000 miles. I would call another dealer and see what they have to say before agreeing to pay the labor charge.
    Thanks for your reply. I already got the ball rolling with my dealership having them order the part because we're planning to leave on a trip soon. I called American Honda Customer Service and opened a case file with them. The class action suit caused them to extend the warranty to 93 months/109,000 miles. My vehicle unfortunately is at 97 months from initial date of purchase. I'm hoping they offer to cover the labor too though since I've been pretty regular with maintenance through the Honda dealership. What year did Honda decide to fix the transmission issues with their new vehicles? Before this we were thinking about buying a Ridgeline for my husband.
    Thanks.
    Great news. American Honda called me back today and they agreed to cover all costs of replacing the transmission. I'm ecstatic. I would like to thank everyone who posted information in this forum regarding this issue, otherwise I would not have known what to do! Now my family and I can enjoy our trip to New York without feeling the pinch in our wallet! :shades:
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    My goodness. The car has 110,000 miles on it! I'm not saying it should be going bad, but to expect Honda to foot the entire bill for a tranny with that many miles on it is unreasonable. I don't know of any manufacturer including the likes of Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW who will warrantee their tranny that long.

Chrysler is now giving a life time warranty on the drive trains on all 2007 and 2008 to the original owner.
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    "but because I did three oil changes on my own in the five years I have the van, they said I voided their warranty"

You don't have to let the dealer do service work for the warranty period. As long as the service was performed, the warranty will remain in effect. So remember, save your receipts.

"...in June 2006, complete fluid flush as recommended by the dealer's maintenance chart"

Do not FLUSH Honda transmissions (or any other makes). Drain and refill as recommended in the owners manual. In the Honda, it is easier than changing the motor oil and filter.

Joe
  • jalapeno10jalapeno10 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking into purchasing a 2001 Honda Odyssey. I found a great deal on one and I was going to go by a dealership when I heard that there is a recall on the Honda Odyssey 2001 Transmission but I haven't anything regarding that yet on the Honda website. So does this recall actually exist or is it just some baloney. Also, how wide spread was the recall? I also was wondering should the dealership I'm going to go purchase it from know or have some knowledge of the recall even if they are not an official Honda dealership? And lastly, should I buy the vehicle I mentioned?

All answers will help, Thanks,
    Jalapeno10
  • blueodyblueody Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 99 ody with 115,000. I have had all those code with the exception of 0420 and it was an easy fix. It was the coils and they are super easy to replace yourself. The dealer charges $250 to replace each one but it's only a $55 part. All you do is unscrew and remove the plastic case off the engine, then unscrew and remove a coil and pop the new one in, tighten it and see if the check engine light goes off. Through process of elimination you can figure out which coil or coils need replacing (you may want to mark them with a sharpie so you know which ones you replace). I guess when one coil goes it causes multiple misfires which is why you have so many codes (btw 1399 is a general misfire code). Anyway, in case I missed something in the explanation go to Odyclub.com for way more information. That site has saved me a ton of money. I am a mom of three and I fixed these coils while watching my kids- it is that easy. Good luck.
  • vaniscoolvaniscool Member Posts: 15
    I have a brand new Ody ~250 miles. The gear change in the automatic transmission is quite rough and results in vibration. I am watching it ... does anyone has similar exp
  • jettafacejettaface Member Posts: 15
    I purchased my Ody from my neighbor....nice guy that he is. Had 68,000 miles on it. The day I put the plate on and took it for a ride I thought I felt the trans slip. I felt that uneasy feeling but tried to ignore it. After a week I felt it again and since I was taking a trip and needed a new battery, I took it to the Honda dealer. Asked if the Odyssey's had transmission problems, and was told by the service manager, No. Two weeks later it slipped bad, the engine just rev'd and I went no place. Took it back to the dealer and tested it with their mechanic. Naturally, it didn't slip as the problem didn't happen all the time. The mechanic told me if taking a long trip, he would advise changing the trans fluid but it was done prior to my buying it. I guess new fluid helps mask the problem for a while. Well, I left for Jersey and 300 miles into the trip the D light lit up green, the engine check light came on and some traction control light lite up, and the car now was slipping allover the place. I had no choice but to keep driving. Made it to Jersey and back, using no A/C or cruise. I drove as if an egg were between my foot and the gas pedal. Everytime the trans slipped, I took my foot off the gas. It was very dangerous as I could not get up to speed on hills, etc. Once I made it home, I immediately came to this forum, something I should had done prior to purchasing this car, and found all the transmission issues. Oh and yes, my neighbor had that trans jet oil pump installed which seems to do nothing to save the tranny. I printed out a number of these issues and went to my dealer. At first I was told $4K to replace trans. I was not pleased...showed the service manager my folder, not the contents and told him I would contact Honda North America. At that point he told me to wait for the District Manager that was due in the next day and wait for a call. I went to the dealership as I wanted the news in person expecting the worst. Honda covered all the costs except for an oil seal which was around $125. Honda took complete responsibility for this tranny problem and I do have to admire them for it. I would have taken a giant financial beating without them fixing the problem. My hats off to Honda, not my neighbor. Now I will always check these forms before I buy. But remember, maintain your cool. Be polite and firm. Just keep stating the facts. Good Luck to others.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Nice of Honda... but your dealership tried to rip you off. They knew fully well Honda would cover. Throw them into the same bin as your neighbor.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • jettafacejettaface Member Posts: 15
    You know you are right. When you get in a situation like this, at times you don't see the forest for the trees. The dealer was not in my corner from the start. This is one lesson I will remember. And your input makes the whole issue very clear. Just keep informed before you leap! Thanks
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I have found that cooperation from dealers is pretty spotty.

American Honda has been very good on this issue but they aren't the first person you deal with unfortunately.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • gavanmomgavanmom Member Posts: 32
    We had the same thing happen with our 2007 Ody that we bought May 28th. After taking it in 3 times, we were told that the tranny had to be replaced. We drove a rental for 7 days and a new one was shipped from California. We have had it back for about a month now and it seems to be fine. I was livid to have a new 30k van that had to have the transmission replaced at less than 2000 miles, but after arguing with Honda for a few days, we gave up and let them replace it. I have a warranty out to 120k so we will see how it holds up. A friend that has 2007 with less than 5000 miles is in the process of having to have the entire engine replaced because of a leak in the main seal, it can't be fixed. What is happening to these new cars???

I would take yours in now...don't wait and let them know that it HAS to be fixed or replaced. I wish I had been more aggressive and demanded mine be bought back and completely replaced with a new van, but we had put on the backup sensors and a few other options and they wouldn't replace those.
  • bveedbveed Member Posts: 1
    Recently I am not able to move the shift lever out of Park when brake is depressed, also brake lights not working. I have checked the fuses and they are good. Have noticed that sometimes when brake is depressed I can hear the auto shift lock activate and I'm able to move shift lever and also brake lights work. Is there a sensor or something ouder the brake pedal that may be malfunctioning?
  • kalavandikalavandi Member Posts: 3
    Its so amazing, my story coincides with yours 90%. I bought my a 2002 Odyessy last year that had 67000 miles on it. Very soon I had this problem of transmission slip when I drive it very slow or while taking sharp turns especially inside a parking lot. I took it to a dealer and they said one of the transmission switch was broken and then replaced it charging me 450 bucks. On my way back home from the dealer I had the same old problem of transmission slip. I took it to the dealer again and they were not so welcoming this time. After much persuasion they agreed to take a look and kept my vehicle for another 2 days , and then returned to me stating that there is nothing wrong. The technician even refused to talk to me. I felt so bad. I took it to another dealer where they found out that there is an internal failure with my transmission and they offered to replace the Transmission for $3500. Can you please advice me how to go about contacting Honda and get my transmission fixed.... greatly appreciated.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Well, for starters call the 800 number for American Honda customer service that;s in your owner's manual and get a case going. Read through the posts in this topic and make sure you document how many of these have had to be replaced with Honda picking up the tab.

Another thing you might consider is trying several dealers until you find one with an upfront service department. Sometimes these can be hard to find depending on where you are.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • jimmyliu1969jimmyliu1969 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE SAME PROBLEM 2003 WITH 60600 MILES,
    HE HELP ME TO TO SOLVE THE PROBLE
    2 of 174 Re: problem with shifting out of Park [px260] by smat5 Oct 24, 2006 (1:57 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply
    Replying to: px260 (Oct 23, 2006 1:55 pm)

I have an 03 ody w/ 53000 miles and just had the same problem. It happened off and on for a while then one day would not go out of park at all. It is not a transmission problem though it is the brake switch. The gear shifter is controlled by the break switch and when the small plastic bearing that triggers the switch breaks you can't get out of park. If you get stuck there is a small "cap" on the top of the steering column on the key side pop that off insert the key then you can release the gear shifter into Neutral start the car and get to the dealer.
    Good luck! I would takt it in before you get stuck though.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fa11e/0
    JIMMY LIU
  • tlcmdtlcmd Member Posts: 2
    We are considering the purchase of a 2001 Odessy which appears to be in good shape and has just shy of 150k. It has been completely dealer serviced and meticulously maintained by the purchaser and owner. In 2004 or 2005 the transmission was rebuilt. From my research I know about the transmission problems with the 99-2003 Odessy trannies.

My question: By 2004, did Honda come up with a "fix' for these problems when they rebuilt the trannies or did they just keep fixing them until they ran out of warranty?

Thanks,
    Dick
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    They put the same problem back in the car. Check out this forum link title

You will see many people had 3 trannies installed within 150k miles. Our '00 Ody EX had 2 "known" replacements in 100k miles (bought used).

I would avoid all Odyssey's through 2006. The 2007 has a more durable 4-shaft design used in the Ridgeline & Pilot.

Our '06 Odyssey EX-L/NAV/RES transmission slips at low speed inclines. The car has 23k miles. I probably won't own the car past the warranty expiration.
  • power8power8 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 odyssey that I purchased two years ago from a honda dealership with 66k miles and extended warranty 6yrs/100k miles paid in full the day I purchased it. I love my van, but only this week I had problems and took into the dealer I originally purchased it from. and they offered to fix it for 3k because the transmission is going out. my warranty has expired. and today I have found out there was a recall on this vehicle. I never received any notices. and I can't afford to pay this amount. Any advice out there? :confuse:
  • markatlmarkatl Member Posts: 5
    07 Touring, same is will roll back .. took it in once and was told it was normal..
    Really feels wierd..
    How do I go to next?
  • sonofknudsonofknud Member Posts: 50
    Yea that rolling back is nice huh. I keep asking and I keep hearing that is the way it works wasn't that way in 06. I either seem to be getting us to it or it seems to have gotten a little better over time. I have spent most of my effort getting the brakes working (5 times in the shop for brakes).
  • cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    First, pick up your phone, call the Honda customer relation, and ask Honda to help you fix your transmission. There is 50% chance that Honda will help you in some way if you owned/are owning other Honda cars.

Second, learn a lessen. Do not buy Honda anymore if you want to keep it over 100,000 miles. They make more money by selling their transmissions than they do by selling their cars. A ZF-5 5-speed transmission for BMW7 costs ~$2000 while a Honda 4-speed ~$3000.
  • cillakatcillakat Member Posts: 53
    this is all making me nervous. we just bought an '07 ex-l *because* we loved our 2000 so much.

the 2000 was just sold to our law guy for $2500. body looks like hell. runs great and we took great care of it. tranny was replaced 6-12 mos (18000-25000 into our ownership) but nothing went wrong after that until the radiator at 175,000.

i can already tell i have the 'soft brake' problem in the new '07....
  • kalavandikalavandi Member Posts: 3
    Go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov
    click on recall and enter the details, You will be able to find details about recalls
  • power8power8 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for the advice, I've really lost alot of sleep over this situation. I have an appointment tomorrow with the dealership I purchased it from. I will let everyone know how it goes. I really love my honda, they asked me if I want to upgrade also. I think I will just try to get the transmission replaced first. :)
  • dwise68dwise68 Member Posts: 3
    As many have stated about the 1999-2001 Oddy, my tranny had to be replaced about a week ago at 101,000 miles. It actually started slipping between 3rd and 4th gears at around 95 or 96k but I thought it may have just needed a flush so I took it to get the flush done and the slipping didn't get any better. After doing a little research I found that the recall for the 2nd gear oil jet (which I had done in 2004) was actually the result of the 3rd gear clutch pack wearing down and leaving debris in the tranny causing the 2nd gear to heat up (Honda doesn't acknowledge this little tidbit as a problem yet in the 02 oddy). After opening a complaint with Honda America Cust. Serv, I took my oddy to the dealer and found out that the tranny needed a replacement - $3200 quoted from the dealer which Honda extended a "good will" offer to pick up half. I didn't think that was all that generous so after actually opening up a complaint with the BBB (the info for the BBB is in the front of warranty book that comes with the vehicle)and calling back to Honda Cust. Serv to speak with a manager (wouldn't you know it - my case agent was one of the regional supervisors)he decided to check my service records from my original dealer (I have moved across country since buying my oddy) Honda decided to pay the full cost of parts and I had to pick up the $640 labor bill. Much better than $1600 but still seems like Honda is trying to put a case by case band-aid on a situation that they know needs stronger attention. From my experience with customer service, the reason a recall has not been issued for any other trannys except for 1999-2001 is because the maintenance technicians in the field (dealerships) have not collectively sent the message to Honda that the tranny workmanship is still poor and the units need to be replaced or extended in warranty just like the 99-01 models. If you are running in to any problems make a complaint with Honda cust. serv., the BBB, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/). The BBB will mediate between you and Honda to reach a decision as to the deposition of your issue and the NHTSA will compile all of the complaints logged and then make a decision as to if Honda needs to make a recall on the trannys. If at all possible, try your best to state your case calmly and politely when dealing with Honda as that will definitely get you closer to getting the entire replacement picked up totally by Honda or a combination of Honda and the dealership.
    I call BS on the %75 thing. If you read my post #186, after the whole BBB submission (they actually got a copy in the Honda America office 1 day after I submitted online) Honda agreed to pick up all parts prices and I paid dealer labor. I had a 2002 with 101,000 miles on it. I also got word from a friend of mine that just bought a new 2007 Oddy that he hadn't even made his first payment and his oddy was in the shop for a tranny replacement....now tell me Honda really fixed the problem between 1999 and 2001. Too many problems still coming from the Oddy Trans.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Why would BBB offer to mediate, or even take your complaint. You are out of warranty and over 100,000 miles.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    So why would Honda offer to pay half or any amount right off the bat if being out of warranty was so cut and dry? Again, seems like they know there's an outstanding problem but they're also trying to keep it under the radar and not end up with another class action suit for the transmission that has been "fixed" since 2001.
  • 09norcim09norcim Member Posts: 8
    Hi

We have a 2000 Honda Odyssey LX. All services prior to 100K @ Honda dealerships.

I just got the Timing and AC/Alternator/PowerSteering belts/Spark Plugs/Water Pump changed at a certified shop at 109,431 mile.

2 days ago check engine light came. The private shop diagnosed two codes

1. 1457 Evap Leak
    and
    2. 1738 2nd Clutch Press SW

No problems until 2 days ago. I noticed that van slowed down before picking speed (I had just started it) and then the check engine light came on after 5 minutes.

Today, I noticed ONCE that it took little longer time to shift from 2nd to 3rd. I had sensed it ONCE @ 95K miles and had taken it to dealer. They hooked a laptop and ran it (If I remember correctly), and told me there was no problem with the transmission. Also, told me that van was not Canadian.

Is this the start of transmission problems?

I know that the transmission oil change is due. Should I get it done at the dealer?

Or time to sell it. We love the van and it is in excellent condition otherwise.

Thanks for your answers!
  • jal1948jal1948 Member Posts: 7
    I had my transmission fail a couple months ago (August/2007) on my (hardly used)1999 Odyssey w/only 57,800 miles on it.
    I did not know anything about the extended warranty at the time but found some information on the web about it.
    I contacted Honda Motors about it, and the end result was that they decided to award me a new (rebuilt) transmission but I would have to pay for the labor. The extended warranty was expired by a couple months when the transmission failed and I felt that i was being penalized for having used the van so little (It would have failed long ago if I had higher mileage on it.)
    I was told that this was my only recourse with Honda Motors.
    I did complain about the unfairness of their decision,considering that those afected transmissions were defective so, it shoud be the manufacturers reponsibility to correct the defect by installing a replacement transmission ,totally at Honda's Motors expense.
    Their answer was that they consider de case close since I ACCEPTED THE OFFER.
    I'm contemplating taking Honda Motors to court in this matter and maybe also complinning to the Attorney General.
    It is frustratig,to say the list,having being abused in such way. Honda is trying very hard to pay for THEIR MISTAKES.
    jal1948
  • jal1948jal1948 Member Posts: 7
    I should have said :Honda Motors is Trying very hard NOT to pay for their mistakes..Sorry !!
  • ody02tjkody02tjk Member Posts: 66
    You need to check the recall provisions and the class action suit that was taken against Honda for the 1999-2001 Odysset transmissions. Just "Google" the words "Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems" and you will find a lot of details. I do not know all of the specifics of that settlement nor what exactly was covered. What I do know is that my sister's 2000 Ody, my old bosses 1999 Ody, and one neighbor's 2000 Ody all had their respective transmissions replaced free of charge. Each of these had more than 60K miles when this occured. The fact that you van already had one transmission replaced may be a factor. I do know that the repair on my replacement transmission is 3 years and 36K miles, and it is writing. If you get no further with Honda of North America, then go to your state Attorney General's office, or local consumer protection agency.
  • bob333bob333 Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem. I have an 07 EXL-r and the tranny went at 2k miles. Got an extended warranty out of it, but looking for them to give me a new car. To top everything off, had it back for 2 weeks and came home to find 3 quarts of tranny fluid on my garage floor. Seems as though the tech didn't tighten a line correctly. Let's just say i am beyond aggrevated with this whole thing.

I will keep you posted....
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    My dealer will only give a 20,000 kilometer on a rebuilt.
    There are no new replacements. How long did your replacement last?

Did anyone (readers) use a national transmission repair shop, ie Mister Transmission, AAMCO, etc?
    I'm sure not many people used an independent store; I know I didn't, since I got Honda to pick up the tab at the local Honda dealer.

Is Honda offering to pick up the tab? I'd try to get Honda Canada(I'm assuming since you're using kilometers that you're in Canada)to pick up the tab for a new transmission.
    Honda has not offered to pay. I will go after refund & 60K warranty. This is a Honda Canada vehicle & I live in Canada.
    Don't go after a refund; it's much more difficult than trying to get them to pay the dealer to install it from the get go.

If you absolutely have to, rent a minivan for the time that your car is out of service, and try and get that covered, while trying to pry a new transmission from Honda Canada. It's slightly easier that way; Honda rented a car for me when my Odyssey needed a new transmission.
    re: Don't go after a refund; it's much more difficult than trying to get them to pay

I did not know about your idea. I had to have the work done as soon as possible & was completed last week. I rented, through my Honda dealer, a Hundau Accent {that's all that was left} and this dealer is 15 miles away from my house. There is no public transportation or shuttles between us. There is a Honda dealer in my city but but its not my selling dealer. This vam has 180,600 kilometers (109,000 miles) on it & the Plus warranty was good for 160,000 ksm.
    My last vehicle (Taurus) went 276,000 ksm with no majors.
    Another thing is that I am retired. I can only pray that I will not have another replacement again.
  • dbonkdbonk Member Posts: 1
    The torque drive is gone on my 2000 honda odessy and the warranty expired 2 days ago. The dealer says he will fight to get them to honour it. Any advice?
  • bjb5bjb5 Member Posts: 2
    Why does my brand new 2007 honda odyssey make a occasional clunking sound in the transmission when coming to a stop? it occurs when the transmission is downshifting 3-2 or 2-1 Thanks Brad
  • desaipdesaip Member Posts: 8
    I also am seeing the same behaviour on my brand new 2007 EX-L. Downshifting is jerky and does not seem to be smooth and not sure if it is normal till we put a couple hundred miles on it or does it need to be taken back to the dealer
    As I mentioned my transmission had to be replaced. I know of someone who had to nurse their vehicle from a trip in the USA back to Ontario, Canada. He mentioned yesterday that he was told in the USA not to shut down the engine. When he got back home the Toyota dealer found that the computer was at fault and need to be replaced. How often has that happen on the Odyssey 1999-2007? Could the computer make a mistake in the codes (?!?-) His was a Toyota RAV4.
  • stew13stew13 Member Posts: 5
    :lemon: :lemon: I have a 2007 Odyssey Touring with brake and bearing issues. Honda had to change the front bearings after 2000 miles. Had to get new brakes and rotors at 2500 miles. Had brakes and rotors resurfaced 4 times since then. I won a arbitration( lemon Law) against Honda for a repurchase of this van. The car Grinds to a stop every time, and Honda still Says there is nothing wrong with the car. After a 2 minute test drive with the Arbitrators they awarded me with the repurchase of the car. I will never own another honda, there customer service was not good and they still say that the car is not defective. :lemon:
  • meli3meli3 Member Posts: 2
    I am glad that I came across this site... I recently started noticing a "slip" between 2nd & 3rd gear in my 2002 Odyssey-74,500 miles. When my husband checked the fluid it was extremly low and we just had an oil change 30 days prior**they claim they check it on your invoice**. Took it to a honda dealer yesterday and 1 hour later the rep came out with a face as if he was a Dr. about to give me a terminal diagnosis. (Mind you I am a female-so they automatically think you mechanically retarted). He announces that my tranny is shot and I need to replace a motor mount as well totalling about $4000.00. My face must have turned because he immediatley changed his tune and stated that he could "talk" with his rep and probably get the work done for 1/2 that-or $1800.00/ Needless to say I immediately called my husband and he was suspicious right away-NO-ONE offers 50% off within 2 minutes of giving you bad news. So come to find out the diagnostic didn't throw any codes but just with a test drive they know it needs a new tranny. Oh and in passing he mentioned that my Odyssey didn't qualify for the "recall warranty". At first I didn't know what that meant until I started looking into replacement parts and came across this site somehow. Come to find out my Odyssey was part of the transmission recall and "fixed" in 2004. Needless to say we have already called our dealer rep back and told him that we are aware of the tranny problems in these models, we are aware that Honda has replaced and/or repaired many transmissions at little or no cost to the owners and we won't stand for an $1800.00 bill-he needs to do better. We also called Honda directly, have to wait 1-2 days for a call back from the regional manager. My opinion-the honda dealership knew they could probably get Honda to pay for the service and hoped we were stupid enough to fall for there generous 50% discount. My husband and I have already decided based on the info we have gained from this site that once repaired we are trading it in. I do not want to go through this again and surely not 3-4 more times like some have. It's a shame because his family has owned 6 Honda motorcycles, 3 Honda generators and my in laws still have a CRV-runs great. But for us a minivan is the best choice.(3 kids)-and if people are already posting problems with 07 tranny's - Honestly I am disappointed, we were finally in a position to purchase a "good" vehicle and Honda was always a top performance car in our opinions. I haven't lost all faith in Honda but they need to do the right thing to regain confidence in the quality of vehicles they put out. We are gonna fight for Honda to pay for the transmission- I am willing to pay a reasonable labor bill, but on the down side I am looking at rental cost as well... Personally I think they should pick up that tab, too.
    I hope this info helps the next person who happens upon this site... :mad: :(