Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• garydggarydg Member Posts: 1
    I Have a 2000 Honda odyssey that the transmisson failed at 129000. When Honda Coggin replaced at no cost we were happy. That only lasted 56000 miles however when it also failed! Tired of Honda failed trans solutions, we had Best Transmission Jacksonville FL trans shop repair 2nd transmission. It failed after 44000! Do these businesses have free reign to screw the public as they so choose?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,508
    well, after 229,000 miles, maybe it is time to just get a new car?

and if that is all the problems you had with it, probably still ahead of the game.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    Let me get this straight, gary. You got 185,000 miles on your 2000 ody without paying for any transmission issues, and you are COMPLAINING? Please find something else to whine about, somewhere else. Do you think cars are mattresses or furniture? These things have moving parts that wear down over time! At 185,000 you would have been best to count your numerous blessings and find a good low-mileage minivan on the used market. Orin those ten years of driving, you could have put aside money for future repairs. Sorry Gary, find another shoulder to cry on. Our trouble-free 2006 Ody is at 145K miles, and when it has some issues, I will accept them. This is a motor vehicle! :mad:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    You certainly don't need to be ridiculed for wanting sympathy about the failures. There is an ongoing problem with Honda transmissions.

But Stickguy has a good point. Most Odyssey problems with transmissions aren't being handled with any help of merit from Honda. And at 100,000K you're on your own. You were indeed lucky with a good dealership.

Did the transmission shop install a cooler on the transmission? And a filter? It sounds like that's what it takes.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• 01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    imi,

If Honda had a warranty like Hyundai, 100K miles on engine and power train, and you bought a Hyundai, and the transmission had issues at 120K miles, would you blame Hyundai and ask for a free transmission replacement? If you say yes, then I have little sympathy.

I wager that for every Ody with tranny issues, there are 50 that work just fine. You just don't have the satisfied people posting their good experiences. I am trying to make up for the countless others like me that have had trouble-free Ody ownership.
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    By the way, the 4th transmission was replaced for free. Apparently, it's a 3yr/36K mile warranty on replacement transmissions. I went to Nanuet Honda in Rockland county, NY. I don't like bringing the car to the dealerships because it never comes back the same. They usually have the worst mechanics.

After I got the car back, I noticed that some screws were missing and things were out of place near the air filter compartment. Also, I can now feel some clicking type sound along the steering column, like something wasn't quite put back right. They had to cut and replace a bar (anti-sway?) to get to the transmission. Apparently the bolts were siezed. Also, after having this transmission for less than a month, I did feel it slip once so far going from 1st to 2nd.

I guess I'll drive this until it dies again and then it's time for a new car. It won't be a new Odyssey because I don't like the fact that the new ones got wider. I liked the 2000 just the way it was. I think it is still the best looking minivan ever. 2nd comes the current Siennas. If I have to buy a wider car, I may look at the Pilot (which is ugly outside) or perhaps the 2013 Pathfinder after I take it for a whirl.
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    Agreed. Other than the unreliable transmission issue, the Odyssey has been great. The car has held up well after 12 years. The car still handles excellent, still gets good mileage on the highway, can carry loads of junk, and I fill up the back on bi-weekly Costco visits. The interior was Scotchgarded and it remains very clean. Most people can't believe it's a 2000. The paint has held up well with the expected pits from road debris causing nicks all over the front of the car.
  • ramy1995ramy1995 Member Posts: 39
    most likly you and most others here neve needed transmissin rebuilt, just tran servic,selonoid clean up .. but hey we are ll supposed to support theeconomy somehow
  • neglianeglia Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey. At 89000 miles the transmission failed and was replaced free by Honda. Four years later and and 32000 miles on the second transmission it failed too. I took it to the dealer, who checked with Honda - they would not fix it. I called Honda and they blew me off, saying the decision is final. The Honda Odyssey transmission is a piece of crap, it obviously has serious design flaws, Honda knows it but they do not take responsibility. Will never, ever buy another Honda again. My 1974 Alfa Romeo still has the original transmission and works perfectly. In my 50 years of driving - about a dozen different cars, I've never had a transmission problem until the Odyssey.
  • tgwgtgwg Member Posts: 4
    I also had a 2001 Honda Odyssey. Tranny went at 150,000. I was lucky it lasted that long. I have read all these posts over the last 3 years. Unbelievable that they will still not admit a trnny design flaw. The only way to fight it is not to buy a Honda!! I won't. My Toyota has been great.
    out of feeling bad to all "bad tranny brethrns" , look up my other posts ,might help you
  • hilapat12hilapat12 Member Posts: 26
    I called a trans shop and asked if they could clean the linear & shift solenoids. They said yes, but everytime they look at them they are clean already and that isn't the problem? So i guess I am not doing this...
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    If Honda were to Man-Up about these POS trannys, they would go back to the drawing board and do the following.

First and foremost, redesign the case to include a removable pan for servicing a decent fluid filter (not a "screen" like they have now)

Engineer a bigger more robust oil pump to handle more volume and pressure and route all the a/t fluid through a heavy duty cooler.

Redesign all the clutch pacs with thicker more durable 'Kevlar' type of material.

Solve the internal drain back problem of the torqe converter. (this one's easy, the after market already has the solution)

Have a servicable external fluid filter to catch any metal and other circulating debris before it gets into the main internals and plugs up the solenoid screens.
    This filter would be changed at service intervals just like the other fluids or sooner by any DIY owner. (Also, already solved and available to anyone with $14.00)

Personally, I have always suspected the Z1 Honda fluid as part of the problem, Honda has quietly dropped it after 10 years of telling everyone that if you used anything else, your a/t would melt and you would be stranded forever in a dark world surrounded by Amsoil Sales Zombies.

I'm sure there are more suggestions out there so feel free to add to this list.
  • ctrl_frkctrl_frk Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2003 Odyssey new in 5/03 and am the original owner. It has been a great vehicle for our family and I've taken great care of it. Well, my transmission went out at 141,000 miles on Saturday, 10/06/12. I had the transmission cooler put on in the 2004 recall and the transmission has always been herky jerky at certain speeds, going from 2nd to 3rd gear especially. I talked with a gentleman who has been rebuilding transmissions for 53 years and comes highly recommended by all the mechanic shops I've talked to in the area (Eustis, Mount Dora, and Tavares, FL). He stated that these transmissions are only expected to last 150,000 miles. Some get more, some get less. He said he could rebuild the transmission in it for $2000 and it would/should go for another 150,000 miles (1 year or 12,000 mile warranty). He believes these vehicles to be solid and reliable and that for the most part they are very reputable. They can be costly to maintain when they are older but the engine is a good one (3.5 V6 240hp). I wouldn't take it to Honda for a tranny rebuild. They will charge $4-6k.

With that being said, I am trading it in and getting a Toyota Sienna.
    edited October 2012
    Oct 6 2012:

Honda Has 'Week From Hell' After Laundry List of Recalls and Investigations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

Toyota Sienna's are not all bullet proof either, check out this Consumer Reports site for few, but not all of Toyota Sienna issues. (they also have forum sites just like this one on Honda's Time-Bomb-Transmissions.)

2004-2010 Toyota Sienna: Reliability

Trouble Spots
    In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.

Audio system: The voice activated navigation system may add extra words when responding to the driver's request requiring reprogramming with an updated DVD. (2007)

Brake wear: The front brake pads do not last very long on vehicles subject to severe operation. (2004-08)

Check-engine light: A check engine light, possibly accompanied by drivability concerns, is likely due to a vacuum leak at the intake air control valve on the 3.3L V6 engine. (2004)

Check-engine light: Check engine light may come on due to failure of the air/fuel ratio sensor(s). (2005-06)

Cold-starting problems: Engine may not start in freezing weather due to fuel pump failure requiring replacement of the pump assembly. (2004-05)

Doors: The rear hatch door shudders in cold weather due to possible leak in the gas charged support rod (stay). A redesigned support is available. (2004)

Doors: Extra effort my be required to close the rear or sliding side power doors for which there are improved touch sensors. (2004-07)

Doors: The doors will not stay open because the welds for the door checks break and the company is extending warranty replacement to 5 years/100,000 miles. (2004-06)

Engine misfire: Misfires accompanied by the check engine light may be due to problems with one or more of the ignition coils. (2004)

Oil leak: Fluid may leak past the right side oil seal on the AWD transfer case. (2004-06)

Seat: If the rear seat won't stay stowed, a revised striker offers more positive engagement. (2004)

Steering problems: Steering effort increases as corrosion increases on steering column intermediate shaft due to road salt. (2004-06)

Transmission problems: The transmission gradually gets harder to shift, requiring installation of an improved cable assembly. (2004-05)

Windows: The side windows may rattle or quit working .

This table lists costs of likely repairs for comparison with other vehicles. The dollar amount includes the cost of the part(s) and labor (based on $50 per hour) for the typical repair without extras or add-ons. Like the pricing information, replacement costs can vary widely depending on region. Expect charges at a new-car dealership to be slightly higher.
    Item Name Repair Cost
    A/C Compressor $1,320
    Alternator $780
    Automatic Transmission or Transaxle $3,460
    Brakes $1,320
    Clutch, Pressure Plate, Bearing $0
    Constant Velocity Joints $1,450
    Exhaust System $890
    Radiator $920
    Shocks and/or Struts $2,300
    Timing Chain or Belt $830
  • pisciottapisciotta Member Posts: 54
    I am very disappointed with Honda, I bought this 2000 Honda Odyssey brand new thinking that I was buying a very reliable vehicle that was one of the biggest reasons I bought this car over Toyota. Had I known I was going to have three transmissions fail on me I would have never bought this car! My first transmission went on me at just 40,000 miles while I was with my three kids in my car and in the middle of an intersection! I took my car to Bay Ridge Honda and just started finding out that Honda had a transmission problem! Honda replaced my transmission only to have it fail at 80,000 mile this time I was with my family on Vacation in Pennsylvania 130 miles away from my home with three kids and my wife! I had to have the car towed to a Honda dealer in Pennsylvania where it stood for a week. Mean while I had to have someone come all the way out to P.A. to bring me and my family home! The Honda dealer in P.A. replaced the transmission telling me this time that Honda has a MAJOR problem with these transmissions! (I had to go all the way back out to P.A. just to pick my car up!) Now at 111,000 miles my transmission failed once again!! But this time I called Honda of North America and spoke with Darell Harville and he told me now it’s my problem!!! I told him the transmission problem was never fixed and if I knew that Honda was going to treat me this way after buying their product I would have never bought this car. I was willing to understand that things happen and as long as Honda was willing to stand by their product and take care of this I wouldn't have a problem with Honda, but they make a defective product and are not willing to stand by it! I had to pay $1900 hundred to have my transmission replaced because Honda wouldn’t stand by this problem that they have!!
    Honda of North America and Darell Harville didn't stick by me, and I hope no one sticks by Honda BUY FROM SOMEONE ELSE !!! you only know how good a company is and that's when things go wrong !!!!!
    edited October 2012
    If this was an AMERICAN CAR COMPANY this would have been all over the news and a MAJOR RECALL !!!! Honda lost a class action lawsuit on this matter !! I contacted NTHSA no response I contacted my local news stations no response that's because it wasn't an AMERICAN CAR COMPANY !! but I told all my friends, family, car forums. it might have cost me but it will cost HONDA !! they replaced hundreds of thousands of transmissions between Honda's and ACURA"S 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003
  • allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    3 posts in a row, you are upset your 12 year old van has a problem. We get it, and it is "why wasn't THERE a recall?" There was a settlement that extended the warranty to over 100,000 miles, but you received 2 trannys to get beyond that extension. :cry:
  • makehondapaymakehondapay Member Posts: 2
  • makehondapaymakehondapay Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2001 Honda Odyssey and had a defective transmission replaced by Honda at 102,000 miles. the 2nd transmission lasted only 58,000 miles! and the amazing thing is my Odyssey had an expensive towing package, which meant that i had a transmission cooler. The transmission burned up anyway. i live in Minnesota which has no hills, so my van was never subjected to uphill pulling, and i never added the trailer hitch. The mechanic said there was no reason my transmission burned up except that it had to be defective. i told Honda i was a lifelong Honda buyer and loyal Honda customer: My first new car was a 1987 Honda Accord that got 200,000 miles on the original transmission. I current have a classic 1985 Honda CRX Si with 89,000 miles on it and the original transmission. I also currently own a Honda Gold Wing motorcyle with 85,000 miles on it and the original transmission. So what did Honda do for me? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Sumnary: Honda gave me a defective transmission in the Odyssey, and then they replaced it with another defective transmission! And they offered me nothing.

The dealership offered me a 10% discount on a 3rd transmission, so the price would be $4800 instead of $5300... big deal!! My mechanic gave me the same thing for $2600.

Nobody should every buy a Honda again. up until a few years ago, they were handling these problems consistently and somewhat fairly. Then they made a decision to stop helping their customers because of the cost. They have destroyed their reputation for reliability and quality by treating each customer differently and having no consistency in their decisions. by not admitting to defective transmissions and doing a recall, they have forever lost my trust.

American Honda Motor Company broke my heart. i welcome anyone who wants to hear more or discuss this with me, to give me a call.

Tom
    612-250-2163
    i have 2000 ody, and yes, join the club< zo, i fivgured out the problem , sort of, at first sign of trans heart attach, i took selonoids apart, clean them, put them back, worked for almost 10k miles, funny, it did it again, and i just did it thisvery afternoon. did not find out yet if it worked again or not, did not drive it long engouh. if you v same problem, let me know.
  • superscalersuperscaler Member Posts: 5
    I have an 2002 with 132,000 miles and just had an oil change and was told it was very low on transmission fluid and what was in there was black. They informed me of the problems the vans have with transmissions and recommend that we check for a leak and flush the tranny about $180 and see how it goes. We've decided anyways we're going to trade it in as my van days are over but was wondering if anyone has had any lucky with flushing the tranny.
  • 2002odie2002odie Member Posts: 32
    If you survived this long without a transmission failure, you are very lucky indeed. The transmission fluid actually needs to be flushed every 15k miles. And the proper way to flush it each time is to fill and drain it 3 times with fresh fluid (yes, that much fluid!).
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    My dealer told me a 2002 transmission cannot be flushed. You just drain and refill. I had a replacement at 184,000 kms and currrently have 313,000 kms and 2 years ago added an after-market transmission cooler. Honda dealer said not to buy the Honda cooler.
    I think the trans flush made my 02 worse...have the second and third gear problems. we have 192,000 on ours right now...
    mine is 2000, 155k, at 145k, i pumped out tran fluid n refiil the first time, made car much better and almost normal, but it came back. did it again, but this time is giving problem between 2 and 3ed < but drivable. do you know why it is doingthat?
    dan
    About a year and a half ago I noticed that when I was excellerating up even a small incline that it would start to feel like I was driving over those stripes on the side of the highway you know when goes bump,bump, bump and when I let my foot off the gas it went away. The macanic couldn't feel it but mentioned it could be transmission related. I got used to correcting the issue with my driving and it didn't do it every time. They are going to check for a possible leak when I take it in or the flushing. I' ve heard mixed reviews about flushing good to made it worse.
    If I didn't have to go up any inclines on the road the van would be alright. Does your "D" light flash intermittently at times? Mine does that plus we now have to start in 2nd. gear and then shift into 3rd and drive at about 35 mph. The van is fine until it goes below 30 mph...then the shifting has to take place again. I really don't know what to say will help...I talked with the tranny place that I might take mine to and asked about the cleaning of the solenoids that was mentioned in this blog. He said everytime he takes a van apart to look at those he finds they are still clean?? I guess our transmission's are on their way out...it looks like we had our van's made on Wednesday since our trans didn't go out early like the majority of them on this blog. The trans place said they will give me a free check to see what they can find or maybe how long I have until the trans goes out. Flushing the trans fluid did not help.
    Hi I don't think I'll get it flushed as many have said it didn't help or even made it worse and the dealership doesn't recommend it. As regards to the lights on the shift panel my "d" light has not lite up for several years now and was told in order to replace the light they have to take the entire front console off and that's not worth it to me. So I've been driving it without it lighting up
  • dslegal09dslegal09 Member Posts: 1
    For real? I just bought a used 2009 and have been a little disappointed. We have replaced the gas cap, the power steering and jugger (the dealer said it was a recall), and the struts. Dealer said we needed brakes and a transmission flush but my mechanic said no. What do I need to know about these vans? It only has 49,000 miles and no warranty as we are the second owner (we bought it from an off lease company). My engine light is back on and we are baffled.
    hi
    what are the syptoms for bad thrust bearing in my 2000 odyssy? could you tell me how to replace thrust bearing in my 2000 odyessy?
    dan
    My engine light has been on for 5 plus years...way before the problem with the vehicle moving from second to third gears as it should and the D light blinking intermittently. I am finally taking the vehicle in on Monday to a trans shop to get an estimate. With nearly 200K miles and 10 years old now...I will let everyone know what they say.

I guess stay away from any trans flush like your mechanic said...I wish I would have known this before I told them to go ahead and do it.

Any problems with the second and third gears connecting properly?
    after i cleaned the selonoids first time, at 155k , car ran much better, almost normal, after 5k miles, went back to same, cleaned them again, and they were petty much clogged, ran better, but not like first time, and only after 500 miles, started the trans dance again. is it really getting clogged that fast? thistime i am going to install the inline filter that i did not have time to put in ,
    anyone can shed light on this?
    dan
    Hi, I really have to tell you we've no other trouble and it has been a very reliable vehicle. We've always maintained it well and other than the regular maintance stuff no other problems until the transmission. We have 132,000 miles at this point. Hope you can still enjoy it, it's a good family van.
    Yes my "d" light has not worked for at least 2-3 yrs I have a leak in the transmission it is going in on Friday. I've decided we're not doing the flush only fix the leak and we're looking at new small SUV 's and trading it in before the tranny goes.
  • bean5ohbean5oh Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    I am having the same problem & I took it to the dealer. They said the torque converter is failing, which leads to a $5200 transmission replacement. I have a 2004 Odyssey with 85000 miles.
    can you describe your transmission problem more elaborately ?
    I finally broke down and took the 2002 Odyssey in for a new transmission. I will get it back tomorrow...no more shifting from 2nd to 3rd. The vehicle has 199,000 miles now. Supposedly any trans problem will be fixed before the new trans is placed in my vehicle...They do over 200 new trans in Odyssey's every year.
    If you haven't got a transmission cooler on your vehicle, go to a trailer company and get their after market cooler installed.
    I had my transmiison replaced at 184,000 kms (112,119 miles) and I currently have 316,000 kms (192,551 miles). I only replaced the transmisson once and have an after-market cooler from a trailer company; but I do not haul any trailers not have a hitch.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,508
    just curious, but is this an independent trans shop, or a chain? And how much does it cost?

I am guessing they rebuild in house and supply a new torque converter?

I know there are some companies that sell upgraded rebuilds (and there seem to be improvements that can be done, that Honda does not implement on their rebuilds), and you just have to find someone to install it.

And while all this is going on, adding a mangafine (sp?) external filter and a good trans cooler seems to be an obvious add-on. Probably not going to add much if anything to the labor costs.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• pjjazztemple2pjjazztemple2 Member Posts: 2
    Like Tom from Minnesota (whose posting is below) I, too, am furious at Honda. Also, like Tom, I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, and have never towed anything at all in my life! And, living in Madison WI, I have a similarly flat topography to Tom&#146;s Minnesota.

In late 2008 a dashboard light went on indicating a problem. To make a long story short, my dealer (with whom I have been pretty satisfied in general) told me that there was a transmission recall going on, and that Honda would replace my transmission free.

I was ecstatic to be saving almost $5,000 but also annoyed that I had almost missed the cutoff date for the free exchange because my dealer had told me that the light was probably just indicating that I had not put on my gas cap correctly. &#147;Wait a month or so and let us know if the light goes back off,&#148; I was told.

Well, my original transmission was as 82,672 miles when they changed it our for the &#147;new&#148; one. Apparently even though the transmission was still working at 82,672 miles it was still thought to be likely defective. After the &#147;new&#148; one was put in, it lasted exactly 52,681 miles, 30,000 less than the defective one! Hmm, gives one pause to think: why take one out that is still good at 82,672 miles and replace it with one that&#146;s worse!

This just happened last week, and I am currently awaiting a response from my dealer, who said he would talk to their Honda rep and get back to me. I am guessing that they will tell me &#147;Too bad&#148; in which case I plan to speak to a lawyer friend of mine to see if anything can be done. I cannot afford $4,500 for a repair, let alone a repair that is necessary only because Honda has not gotten its act together regarding these incessantly recurring transmission problems!

I will keep you all informed of what transpires. And I will be calling Tom later, who was kind enough to put his phone number on his posting. Mine is 608-332-6287, if anyone wants to get in touch with me.

Peter
  • pjjazztemple2pjjazztemple2 Member Posts: 2
    Tom,

My outcome was similar but not the same as yours, it turns out. I also am going to be paying not $4,800 but rather half of that only. However, in my case I had my dealer talk to their Honda rep for me, and the Honda rep (or whomever he represents) will be paying the other half.

One thing that my dealer pointed out to me was that, since I the replacement transmission I got at 86,000 + mileage was free for both parts and labor, and since I'm now at 135,000 mileas +, having to fork out $2400 doesn't seem so bad. Part of his meaning is that if I sell the car one day, I can legitimately mention the the transmission is relatively new, and that is, apparently, the most expensive replacement one would ever have to do on an Odyssey.

If you want to chat about the issue, feel free to call me at 608-332-6287. Here's wishing you a good holiday season.

Peter
    hi peter, tom,
    was there an official honda transmission recall ? for what years? and does it cover anything over 100k miles?
    also, was your cars at time of first bad tranmission dirvable or just irratical in changing gears
    i have 2000, bought it with 120k , started the trans problms at 130, was still drivable, but getting worse. but after many research, i cleaned the linear and shift selonoids and car drove much better and drove more on it until now at 155k almost. did any of your dealers indicated anything about selonoids?
    the funny thing that an odyssey with good trans of these years worse at best 3000 dollars, and to spend 4000 on tranmission is really a scandal .. no more hondas here
    i am sorry....it was not new. It was rebuilt with a new torque converter for 2700 with a one yr warranty. I was at almost 199,000 miles on my 2002 when this happened. I feel horrible for everyone and am perplexed when mine went so long without replacement...mine was not completely gone, but i was nervous with winter that it was going to go out at any time. The shop is an independent trans shop in Johnstown Ohio...Hardshift's. I will check into the filter and cooler. thanks for the tips.
    On my 2002 Odyssey the transmission went at 184,000 kms. I currently have 316,000 kms and I have had a non-Honda cooler for about 2 years.
    How long should these transmissions last if there were no issues whatsoever?
    Do the minivans of Toyota, Chrysler, Nissan (2012 now built only in Japan), GM, Ford (Ford usually broke at 102,000 kms) expect to last a lifetime (what mileage is a lifetime?). If not a lifetime then how long?
    There are some owners that have had no issues but how many miles/kilometes did they trade it in?
    autowrite,
    your questions need consumer roport to beable to answer.. :) , but if you find out, lets know
    dan
    edited December 2012
    You now have about 80,000 miles on your re-built. I assume it's now well out of your re-builders warranty, so you are now driving on borrowed time......

If I were you I would be getting rid of it NOW while it's still working. Another re-build would cost as much (or more) than the van's worth as a trade in.

(I hear good things about the new Chrysler a/t's in the newer Caravans and Town and Country.) It's only taken them 25 years to figure it out..hopefully.

I still have my old 1992 Dodge Mini Van ( worst a/t's ever built) that we use with the back seats out for nasty hauling and bad winter weather. It's AWD 3.3 V-6 ES with a set of 4 winter tires. Would like to retire it but it just keeps on starting and going when everything else is stuck in the yard or dead in the ditch.

Our 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L (bought new) sulks in the garage as I'm afraid to trust it to go anywhere, that van has no soul, never has.
  • g3guyg3guy Member Posts: 31
    They SHOULD last about 250,000 miles with nothing more than routine maintenance. But they don't.
  • foxfire1foxfire1 Member Posts: 2
    I live in a size-able city wherein there are 2 well known transmission shops that are held in high esteem as they have established an outstanding reputation over the past 30+ years.
    I had a good talk with one of the top 30 year veterans from one of these shops after having a transmission failure in my 03 Honda Odyssey. Here is what he told me.
    " Pursue the lawsuit if you must, but to get your tranny fixed properly, do not go to the dealership for the rebuild. Here's why: Honda is doing a repair not a rebuild. This means that if third gear has gone out, they will repair that one gear, throw it back together and call it a rebuild. No wonder people are having to take their tranny's back two and three times.
    Honda is using a very different clutch plate. It has a soft material that wears off quickly and gets slippery smooth. There is nothing else like it and yet the after market clutch plates are hard like they should be."
    He further told me that he had rebuilt hundreds of these with no failures or returns. So the key here is to NOT use factory clutch discs/plates, but quality after market discs. He also mentioned that the spline going down through the center of the tranny has a bushing in it that must hold air. He said most of the time Honda and others will not fix this. He spreads that bushing out till it holds air and he said that will last forever. If this leaks air, it can cause pressure problems in the tranny which results in shifting problems and possible slippage and failure. I asked if this was just a cheap under rated tranny for this vehicle prone to failure and that after having it fixed if he thought I should sell the van and move on to something different / better? He said NO! Honda makes a great vehicle and the motors in these vans is of the best in the industry. Once the tranny is fixed right, it will be worth keeping till you run it in the ground.
    I hope this helps and that you have good success in your future rebuilds.
    For a healthy cup of coffee try WholesomeCoffee.Info It will help with your transmission stress. :)