Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• glennkhouryglennkhoury Member Posts: 16
    Great find! I will call him tomorrow! Thanks!
  • angelaychuangelaychu Member Posts: 54
    I tried to call him today and left him a message. He has not returned my call yet. Thanks for the info.
  • jmurthajmurtha Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 with 120k miles. I have had techs tell me they have never heard my type of noise before. The car has to be warmed up. After accelerating and taking foot off gas a low rumbling can be heard. It also sounds like something spinning. It goes away after about 10-20 seconds. The honda tech told me that a spike in the voltage occurs when you take your foot off accelerator. He said it was my drivers side fan that was making all this noise, the bearings on the fan motor I am guessing. He also said my transmission needs replacing, but I don't have any slippage and it shifts just fine and there is no noise or smell when pressing down on the accelerator with my foot on the brake. Has anyone had a similar situation? If so, what did you do? :confuse:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...posting third party phone numbers in the Forums is prohibited.
  • coredumpcoredump Member Posts: 9
    My 05 Ody - tranny replaced, motor mount replaced, EGR replaced and still doesn';t feel right...

Look what Toyota has to say about its durability and reliability:
    Living Up to Our Commitment
    I left him a message as well. Let's see what happens
  • sadodyownersadodyowner Member Posts: 3
    Are 3rd party addresses OK?

I have the address for the office of the President of Honda of America, if anyone else wants to write him.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Mailing addresses, yes. Email addresses, no.
  • sadodyownersadodyowner Member Posts: 3
    In case anyone wanted to write about their disappointment in Honda's failure to extend warranty coverage for their Odyssey transmissions other than the 1999-2001 models, here's the address for the head of Honda of America. Enough letters might make them more aware of how let down their customers feel.

Mr. Tetsuo Iwamura
    President
    American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    1919 Torrance Boulevard
    Torrance, CA 90501
    Anybody have the address of the attorney who did the class action suit for the Ody tranny issue that resulted in extended warranties thru 02? Write him instead! Even though Honda offered 75% reimbursement on our replacement for our 03, they should have offered 100% for a known defect. These problems were never really solved after 02. Think about it... did Honda offer extended tranny warranties before the class action suit?
    File a complaint. Maybe that might push Honda into 100% reimbursement for trannies 03 and up. Go to the US traffic safety website to make it happen. If there are as many folks out there that are upset with issue as I think there is, maybe this would help push Honda to the table!
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Consumer.cfm
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Toyota obviously does NOT think the Sienna is very durable because they extend the warranty for the DEFECTIVE front door on 2004 -2007 Siennas to only 5 years.

I have NEVER read where any Odyssey has had defective front door welds.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    If I were Honda, I would have swapped your problematic 07 Odyssey and keep it as reasearch & development purposes to find out why these things happened and better understand the tramsmission problems where it came from. It sure is a lemon and Honda got to eat this lemon.

Honda should have all the experience re 01, 02, 03 tranny problems and after all these years, still can't make the tranny right?
    EXCELLENT idea.

BUT, there are probably less than 1 % of all Odysseys that have had transmission problems.
  • coredumpcoredump Member Posts: 9
    I don't know what a defective door weld is on the Sienna, but I highly suspect that it is going to cause your vehicle 4k-5k worth of absolutely necessary repairs and not just once, but potentially every so often.
  • mserinomserino Member Posts: 1
    My drive light started blinking the other day. I have a 2002 Odyssey with 105,000 miles. I didn't feel any problem with the van and the next day it was off. Any thoughts?
    I mind you that a lot of their affected customers do not even know that the problem is with Honda's defective design and not their bad luck because Honda has a big name. Also, this is the great U.S.A. and who would expect that the government has not done anything to stop them from selling these defective designed cars until they have corrected the problem since the problem has been in existence for many years. At the least, you would expect the government would have imposed disclosure requirements on Honda to its affected and potential customers. The transmission problem can cause deadly car crashes. Who knows how many car crashes have been responsible by Honda's defective transmission?!

If the problem is really just less than 1% as you mentioned, it is kind of common sense that Honda would not act so uncivilized as to risk their reputation in resolving the matter. If they really know how to make transmission, why would they continue using these transmissions with design flaw only on some Odysseys. They well documented the problems in their Honda's service bulletin in the past. It just does not make sense to me.
  • cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    BUT, there are probably less than 1 % of all Odysseys that have had transmission problems.

Something is missing from your statement. I added the missing part to make it complete.

BUT, there are probably less than 1 % of all Odysseys that have had transmission problems within the warranty period.
    I agree entirely. I want to add that the reason for the failure to occur after the full warranty period is because Honda had fooled their affected customers to let them install the oil jet kit. Their recall only protects Honda not to be responsible for their faulty designed transmission during the full warranty period and successfully passed the ball to their loyal customers.
  • stillerzstillerz Member Posts: 11
    I'm considering buying a used '06 Touring that has about 53k mi on it. I have driven the van and didn't notice any issues.

I realize many people here visit this forum because they have had problems with the transmission on their vans, but I am certain there are just as many, or more, people that haven't. So, I'm looking for some practical advice from those with knowledge of the issue.

How can I tell if this particular Odysssey currently has a transmission problem? Or, will have one in the relatively near future?

For example, if I were to take the car to a mechanic, what would I ask him to look for as signs of the problem? Or, is there something I should be able to test on my own to tell if its good or bad?

Thanks!
    I'm only familiar with the earlier model problems, 99 to 04. My only recommendation is to do as much research as you can before purchasing. I understand that most of the tranny problems that plagued earlier models was rectified by Honda... Finally!
    You probably cannot tell until it has generated enough miles like 80,000 to show signs.
  • jim1504jim1504 Member Posts: 8
    My brother had his 2000 Odyssey trans go out at 112k (3k over the warranty). Dealer wanted him to advise how much my brother was willing to give towards the repair & the dealer would advise Honda NA. My brother offered $500 and they came back with $680 including an alignment. My brother agreed and is now buying a Toyota.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    My brother had his 2000 Odyssey trans go out at 112k (3k over the warranty). Dealer wanted him to advise how much my brother was willing to give towards the repair & the dealer would advise Honda NA. My brother offered $500 and they came back with $680 including an alignment. My brother agreed and is now buying a Toyota.

A van that is 8 1/2 year old, 112k miles, out of warranty, and Honda is covering 80% of the cost of repair for a new transmission? I would have stuck with Honda instead of jumping ship to Toyota. Seems like they're treating your bro pretty good.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • oddsseysuckoddsseysuck Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey that went out at 65K, and Honda only paid 40%. I had to pay $1750, way too much for the reliable Honda, ya right whatever.

The problem I had was the transmission was shifting fine one day and the next day it would hesitate from 3 to 4 gear. Then about 30mins later it would hesitate going into reverse. I knew something was wrong and I took into Honda, they called back and said it would be $3500 to replace the tranny.

If I had not done any research I would have had to pay the full amount. Honda does not go out of their way to inform people about the problem, so that they do not have to pay for all these bad transmission.

I have a friend of my who owns the local Mr. Transmission shop. He said when Honda brought out the Honda Odyssey they just took a Honda Accord tranny and put it in the Odyssey. The Odyssey weighs alot more and carries more people than an Accord. The transmission cannot handle the weight. Honda said they fixed the problem in 2002 by putting a 5 gear in the tranny, but they need to build a transmission just for the Odyssey. My friend told me the reason Toyota does not have this problem is because they built a tranny for the size and weight of the car. Until Honda builds a new transmission for the Odyssey they will continue to have this problem.
  • marty1340marty1340 Member Posts: 1
    Service managers advise me that there was a change between the 02 and 03 Odyssey automatic transmission to correct the terrible repair record of pre-03. Still, the new Consumer Reports Frequence-of-Repair stats on the Odyssey are mediocre ("average") compared to the same year Toyota Sienna "outstanding" stats. Questions: What's causing the Odyssey's continuing problems? Should I be expecting a breakdown in my 120,000-mile 03 Odyssey?
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    It was just a poor design from what I understand. Some of the gears were not exposed to lubrication sufficiently. I believe they fired the guy who ran the tranny program at that time.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Actually Honda does not manufacturer the transmission for the Odyssey. It is built by Aisin & I beleive Toyota buys from them also.

Here's a link link title

The safest year Odyssey to buy is the '07+. They have the stronger 4shaft design shared with the Pilot & Ridgeline trucks. Also, '05 & '06 have the dreadful droning defect.

There are a lot of '03 & '04's with failed trannys. Happen to have a friend with an '04 that failed around 86k.
    Actually Honda does not manufacturer the transmission for the Odyssey. It is built by Aisin & I beleive Toyota buys from them also.

Here's a link link title

The safest year Odyssey to buy is the '07+. They have the stronger 4shaft design shared with the Pilot & Ridgeline trucks. Also, '05 & '06 have the dreadful droning defect.

There are a lot of '03 & '04's with failed trannys. Happen to have a friend with an '04 that failed around 86k.
    The 02's had extended warranties over 100K. The 03's had a recall and added a jet to lubricate the 2nd gear. They thought that fixed the problem... but ours still failed at 66K. Check your service history to see if you had yours done.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    It is built by Aisin

How did you find out about Aisin?

I have a 2002 Odyssey & replaced the transmission at 180,000 kms in Oct 07. Currently have 198,000 kms. Honda paid 50% for replacement. Because I loveit so much (9,000 kms trips to Texas in Feb 08) & I am o a fixed income & retired will try to keep it forever.

2002 Honda Odyssey EX
    1992 Ford Taurus L 4 door 300 cu in long-stroke
    1982 Ford E150 Customized by Triple-E travel Van
    1979 Mercury Zephyr 6 cylinder 4-door sedan
    1972 Datsun 510 4-door automatic
    1967 Plymount Valiant 2-door sedan large-v6
    1965 Morris 1100
    1963 Austin 850 mini

They should outlaw Gray colours
    CORRECTION: Toyota does NOT buy from Aisin. From the link:

RWD 8-speed Automatic Transmission (TL-80SN)
    The world's first high-performance 8-speed AT qualified for luxury cars

Multi-Speed Automatic Transmission with excellent acceleration (superb drivability) & high fuel efficiency
    Low noise level and excellent shift performance
    * Based on Lepelletier system
    * Jointly developed with Toyota Motor Corporation

(My highlights of the data)
    What's your point? Toyota does buy transmissions from Aisin.

Just type in Aisin + Toyota + transmission in any search engine & you will that I was correct.

Also, I was merely pointing out that Honda did not manufacturer the defective Odyssey transmission & the link was to provide info on Aisin.
    Did or did not Aisin build the Honda Odyssey defective transmission? If they did not who did?

My rebuild transmission was build in Ontario but I did not get a name.
    How did you come up with Aisin as a supplier to Honda? Searching +Honda +doyssey + transmissions +unreliable +2002 +2001 does not give you Aisin
  • mike4444mike4444 Member Posts: 3
    Just to update my 2003 Odyssey tranny troubles. Initial problems were Sep 2007. Seemed to be solved with speed sensor replacement . . . That is until Feb 2008 when problems came back. Replaced PCM, drove ~1mile and problems returned. Odyssey was at dealer 2 more weeks and they decided the wiring harness was the cause! I didn't believe it but that's what they replaced. The Odyssey has over 600 miles on it and the symptoms haven't returned. Had the 60,000 mile check done and just the normal expensive checks done by the dealer. I still have an intermittent idle problem where it surges slightly up to around 900 then back down to 700 or so. Other times it stays steady. Dealer said it might be the air valve or something. It seems suspicious to me that this started after the speed sensor was replaced. Hmmm . . . So far it's working OK but I'm not sure I trust it!
    According to the link to Aisin in posting # 644, the information was that one transmission was DEVELOPED jointly with Toyota. :shades:
  • tms5tms5 Member Posts: 1
    cgf,

I have the same problem. My Honda is a '99 bought from Enterprise car rental. Now I get to call Honda of Canada to see if they will deal with the issue. In my situation Enterprise told my the by date my car is out of warranty, but by millage it is way low (~68,000 mi). Honda of america would provide a petition, but this is Canadian.
    The Aisin 6 speed automatic transmission is used in heavy duty Dodge pickups according to recent Dodge TV ads. ;)
    As I understand it, warranty was extended to 109,000 miles for tranny situation but didn't included Canada.
  • lstufleblstufleb Member Posts: 18
    Okay, we have three broken motor mounts on our 2002 Odyssey. Our 2004 is starting to show signs of problems as well, and it only has 40,000 miles on it. I am very dissappointed in Honda and if this isn't resolved, I will never buy Honda again. This is not the company I had come to know when we bought these vehicles.
  • lstufleblstufleb Member Posts: 18
    I forgot to ask if anyone has information on this issue. Before the broken motor mount we were having symptoms such as jerking when shifting into reverse, and all the lights going out on the service panel. The transmission would not shift gears at all. There are a lot of posts and it's difficult to get through them all.
  • sdobrosdobro Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am sure that I have seen variations of this same questions, but her it goes again. My wife's 2002 Odyssey is experiencing a TCS & Check Engine Light on with Flashing "D". I put the code reader on the computer and is giving me an EGR low flow. I am puzzled by this. The car is running, but with poor gas mileage. Doe any body have the answer to this or suggestions?
    thanks in advance.
    S
  • pgnagelpgnagel Member Posts: 60
    Ah, the every familiar P0401. This little gremlin will eventually cuse a host of problems like crummy mileage, hesitation, and lurching from a stop. At least it did for me. Your EGR system is clogging up. How handy are you? If you are comfortable wrenching, go to OdyClub.com and look up EGR cleaning in the forums section. Or, try this link: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=15a4108c7af37a197bc8ce6f268ab84e&- threadid=13228&perpage=15&highlight=&pagenumber=2

To do the job properly you need to remove the upper intake and scrub the carbon out of the passages. Rubbing alcohol and a set of gun cleaning brushes will do the job nicely. Plan on spending a few hours to get it all done.

If you are not that handy, be prepared to go to a mechanic and pay about $200 for the same service. You can also try a Honda dealer as there was a TSB on this issue. In my opinion the TSB and prescribed service doesn't really fix the problem. The ports are just too small and have to be cleaned every few years.

Good luck!

Paul N
  • andyjenandyjen Member Posts: 1
    Need advice! I am an owner of a 01 Ody w/160,000 and the transmission needs replacement. Do I have any recourse with Honda about the defective transmission? I have been driving Honda's for 23 years with no major issues, that's the reason I keep buying. But now with this admitted flaw in the transmission, (last year it was the cat/conv) costing me big bucks, I have never had any transmissions issues with any of my 6 accords or civics which all went over 200k with ease. Do I have any chance of Honda accepting some blame and cost, with 160k? This will definitely cause me to shop elsewhere next time. My decision is whether to have the $3500 rebuilt put in or look to buy another van. I would normally have the confidence in Honda's to have the repair completed, but all the money i have pumped into this van recently makes me think twice about it. My confidence in Honda's is shaken and I was the most loyal Honda owner ever. Any advice?

Thanks
    Rich
    Get rid of the 2001 Odyssey with high mileage. There is no comparison of reliability of the low-powered, small, lightweight, spartan Civics and Accords with the complex modern, heavier, high powered Odyssey with MORE nice features.

The Odyssey is a relatively NEW experience for a company that morphed from motorcycles and lawnmowers into frugal little sedans and now Odysseys, MDXs, Pilots, and Ridgelines. Honda did NOT have necessary experience to build a rugged large vehicle when the 2nd generation Odyssey appeared as a 1999 model. ;)
  • wangtexaswangtexas Member Posts: 1
    I bought 07 Odyssey one year ago.

Since last month, we found there might be transmission problem. But honda dealer could not find anything. Yesterday, the same problem happened again. The car made a lot of noise and could not seed up. This is the 3rd times in one month.

My car is at 14,000 miles and we do not have extended warranty.

Totally lost.
  • pmiller61pmiller61 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 odyssey with 95,000 miles on it, the trasmission was slipping, all the warning lights flashed with the falshing DD, so I am scheduled to have it looked at tomorrow at the dealer.

Anyone with transmission problems on the oddyssey sign up at the HOnda website--www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?logout=1

They will provide you with all the recalls, etc, I was able to print out a paper stating that the dealer will replace transmisison free of charge. I will be armed with the paper when I go to the dealer tomorrow.
  • oly27oly27 Member Posts: 1
    chiody,
    What recall and lawsuits are you referring to? I have an '01 Ody w/ 78k that is just starting to exhibit those tranny problems, but I was only able to find a recall issued on the '02-'04 models. Where did you get the info on the recall for the '01.

Thanks for your help.
  • 2002odie2002odie Member Posts: 32
    Are you talking about the 2nd gear oil jet recall?
    Good luck with that...you should see my previous posts (look for 2002odie).
    My 02 Odyssey at 89,000 miles died the day after Christmas 2007, check engine light, flashing D, etc...the cause? 4th gear failed...and weeks later and $$$$ later, I finally got it back...
    I had the 2nd gear recall performed, lot of help that was...