Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Class Action lawsuit link title
  • vickiengelmannvickiengelmann Member Posts: 2
    That's what I want to know... is anyone having problems with the 08' model? One would think that Honda would change which trannies they use after such a disaster with the previous models. If they didn't, that would not be smart business. Clearly though, they have not been operating as a smart business after reading all the complaints, but I would hope they learned a lesson. I really like the look of the new 08' Odyssey, and the reviews are impressive. I've been doing a little internet research and it seems that almost every vehicle out there has some sort of recall on it. Volvo Corp has not been nice to me lately. I've been having problems with my 1999 S80 T6 Volvo with 80K, the engine cooling fan has failed me three times now, and Volvo Corp basically said, too bad for you. The rep said, "when vehicles get old, they have natural wear on parts". My comment was, "so it's just a coincidence that the same part keeps failing." The first time it was replaced under warrenty, the second time it was replaced under the recall, but now they don't want to replace it again. Also, I'm having problems with the front suspension control arm, which also has a recall on it and they don't want to cover that either. The rep told me that the recall has expired/passed.
    In regards to these types of board messaging, I truly do wish that when people write in these things that they would provide helpful info - which model & yr they have, mileage on their vehicle, and city they live in. Oh, and YES, you all should open another class action lawsuit for the models not included in the first lawsuit. Best Regards to all, Vicki - Reseda, CA
  • sonofknudsonofknud Member Posts: 50
    I believe the tranny changed in 07 they used the tranny that they use in the Ridgeline or something like that. I have had an 06, 07 and an 08 long story why. I heard the tranny changed in 07 we noticed a difference in 07 versus 06. Our 08 thus far seems good but these things show up later. Just flet better that they are using a different tranny now.
  • brenda12brenda12 Member Posts: 1
    I am quite concerned regarding the Odyssey. Our daughter is wanting a new van and saw all of these comments so is now going to get the Toyota Sienna instead. I have a 2007 Odyssey and have had some issues. The VSA light goes on once in a great while (of course, not when Honda is close or open). Also, I believe it has downshifted on me on a couple of occasions....I just thought maybe I had it in the wrong gear and messed with that instead at the time. Now I am wondering. Also, after driving a few hours on the interstate, it makes a loud noise as I pull in somewhere. I can hear it inside and outside.....Honda says it has to be happening for them to be able to diagnose it.....is that true? I thought maybe the power steering as it seems to "moan" when I turn the car after the long drive. Any thoughts? If I have major issues with this vehicle, I will just go get the Toyota.....I would NEVER buy another Honda. We vowed in 1976 never to buy another Pontiac or American car and we have not. Now Honda may lose our business and we will stick with Toyota or Nissan. Please let me know if anyone else has had these problems.....thanks
  • dino24tdino24t Member Posts: 5
    I'd like to know where you found recall info on the '02-'04 models for transmission problems. Honda only paid about $800 toward my fix and I had to pay $2500+ to replace the transmission on my '03. I fixed it, traded it and bought a Toyota Sienna '08. We will never buy a Honda again after the crappy customer service on something they know is a problem. It is sad that it will take a Class Action Lawsuit to make them do the right thing.
  • ddbarrettddbarrett Member Posts: 9
    Dealerships are lying..and American Honda is lying by saying that 2002 and 2003 don't have transmission problems. They do.

I've bought new Honda's since 1986. I never had a problem that wouldn't have been normal for the sedan's. All vehicles went well over 170,000 before any hint of transmission problems.

Our 2002 Honda van had to have a new transmission at 50,000 miles. We didn't drive much and what we did was light and mostly freeway. We've had 6 previous honda accords. No problems. This was a shock. We expected that Honda of America would take car of us. After spending $300 on diagnosis, Two independent transmission places (including AAMCO, and another repair place we've gone to for 10 year, trust them greatly) both said the transmission fluid was burned. The two dealerships, Hansel of Petaluma, california and Manly of Santa Rosa, california, said the transmission fluid was not burned.

We knew the car was acting up at 50,000 miles and took it to the two dealerships. They weren't of help and couldn't diagnos the problem. The two other independent shops were much more helpful in saying that their was a transmission problem in the 1st to 2nd gear and the 2nd to 3rd gear.

Manly Honda, Hansel Honda and American Honda wanted us to pay $2,900.

We were greatly disappointed with Manly Honda of Santa Rosa, Hansel Honda of Petaluma, and American Honda. We felt that they should be responible for at least 1/2 of the amount. I expected much more from Honda. They've lost a customer for life.
  • ram11ram11 Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I am facing the same problem. I rebuilt my transmission. I paid 2500 dollar. Now the 'D" is blinking. I checked with mechanic and he is telling p0710 code that is Transmission flud Temperature sensor fault. Please let me know how you fixed your problem and how much it cost.
    thanks
    ram
  • ram11ram11 Member Posts: 2
    Don't recommend anybody to buy honda vehicle. if you buy any honda vehicle you will get sleepless nights.
    alwyas compalint. pleae pass this message to everybody
    I haven't got it fixed yet. I towed it to AAMCO because they said that they'd be able to do it for a lot cheaper (around $2,000) since they rebuild the existing transmission, not replace it. So, I towed the Van 30 miles to AAMCO in Santa Rosa, owned by Jim and Elaine Babcock from Rincon Valley in Santa Rosa.

As it turns out, AAMCO has had the car a week but they can't get the 3rd gear parts. The reason? More and more Honda Vans are failing as they get older. The part is in high demand and ONLY available through the dealerships. I'm told that when AAMCO calls to find out about getting the part, the Honda service people say, "Oh your're looking for the 3rd gear, right?" They already know about the problem.

Well, now the cost is at least as high as the dealership with the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. AAMCO said the cost would be $3,400. I'm TRUSTING AAMCO will honor the price that I at least had from the dealership. $2,900 w/ 3/36,000. They've already incurred $675 on the labor, so I"m stuck. They know they've got me. I'd have to pay them $675 for labor, plus the $2,900 to the dealership. I'm waiting for their decision.

AAMCO has a chance to show their honorable business practices here. I will let you know.
    I should mention that the dealership cost without Honda of America's $800 contribution to the cost was $3,700. I saw the thread about the person with the 2002 Honda Odyseey Van (like ours) who, at 97,000 miles only had to pay $1,000 and the rest was coved by Honda of America. My situation is that the car was orginally purchased and maintained by Dublin Honda. I bot it second hand, but through a Chevy dealership who bot it from them. All the records show flawless maintainence.

Because, Honda is saying, I didn't buy it from a HONDA dealership, they won't help much---even though my van only has 50,000 when the problem started. Our driving was mostly freeway, too.
  • glennkhouryglennkhoury Member Posts: 16
    They will contribute to your already well-known problem. We were reimbursed 75% for the same issue. If AAMCO does the repair, you will not get anything. Take the vehicle to your dealer or if you bought it independently, go to any dealership.
  • lstufleblstufleb Member Posts: 18
    Does it matter what your mileage is, or if you've already had the recall performed. We were told that you only get one chance on the recall. There were two options, install the oil jet something or other, or if their was damage to the second gear they would replace the transmission. If you're still having problems with the transmission after the oil jet something or other (sorry, can't remember what it's called) was performed you can't go back and have the transmission replaced or fixed.
  • sforeman1sforeman1 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same issue on a 2002 Odyssey (64k miles). The transmission started to slip and the 'check engine' light went on. We took it to the dealer who told us the engine control module (the computer) and the transmission needed to be replaced. The cost was over $4,000! However, after contacting Honda they offered to pay 75% for “goodwill.” I thought that this did not make any sense, this is clearly a quality issue and should covered per the Honda quality recall from 2004. It appears that Honda has had an ongoing challenge with their transmissions failing from 1999 thru the present models. After considering my request that they cover 100% Honda did the following:
    - they REVOKED their offer to pay 75%
    - they indicated the cost to me now would be over $5,000 (something about non-warranty parts being more expensive, which makes no sense since they said it was not warrantied)
    - The only consideration they did provide was $3,000 credit to a new Honda, which they would not put in writing.
    - To top off this event, the dealer had the audacity to offer me $3k for a car with a bluebook of over $12,000!

Now I have to pay $4k (not at the dealer) to fix Honda’s quality issue.

Rest assured I will sell the car, and NEVER buy another Honda (this was my 12th). Their demeanor, approach and lack of accountability for this SAFETY issue is appalling. My family is not safe in a Honda automobile.
  • 2002odie2002odie Member Posts: 32
    Sorry to hear you had a similar experience...you should check my previous postings for the progression. I ended up paying about $2500 out of pocket for their $5500 repair (tranny + PCM computer), and they did threaten to withdraw their "goodwill", basically I had no choice if I complained any further, they would have pulled their offer and I would have been stuck with the full bill...so yeah, no more Honda's for me, too.
  • ebert1104ebert1104 Member Posts: 2
    Well it appears that I am the latest victim of Honda's failed quality program. :sick: I live in Nashville, TN and own a 2003 Odyssey with 110k and a code of P0740. After reading the forums, I coaxed Honda into picking up the cost of the parts. I just have to pay labor and tax, which comes to about $1,500 - 1,600. I guess I should consider myself lucky, but it doesn't seem so. I have had a Toyota Camry with 238K and am currently drive a 96 Nissan Quest with 204K, and neither vehicle ever had a transmission issue. I guess I'll go back to either company next time.

Any word on the Class Action suit for the 2002 - 2003 Odysseys?
  • batavia02batavia02 Member Posts: 38
    Me and my wife are considering an 2008 or maybe a 2009 odyssey but the much noted tranny problems on the boards worry me. Does anyone know if Honda has fixed the problem,I know,any tranny can fail but Hondas are supposed to be bulletproof or so i thought?
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    The vast majority of Honda transmission problems are the 99 to 04 models. The new 05's and newer have had fewer problems. In 07 they started putting in the Honda Pilot 4 shaft transmission design which are considered more durable. For the most part Honda has done a better then average job trying to rectify the transmission problems when they do arise.

No manufacturer has zero problems. You'll find people complaining about every make on this site. So take what you read here with a little grain of salt. Some people here have axes to grind, some are sales people for what you're looking at buying. Some have absolutely no common sense or mechanical aptitude.

The Odyssey is a good choice. In my opinion the Toyota and new Dodges are worthy competitors. Check all three out and buy the one you like the best.
  • ebert1104ebert1104 Member Posts: 2
    Bobber1 may have a point, but my coworker has a 2006 Acura with transmission issues, though the warranty is covering it. I won't go as far as to say Handay is going out of it's way to fix the problem, otherwise they would have extended the recall.

I would recommend you purchase the 100,000 mile extended warranty, especially with Honda or Dodge. Also note, that transmission warranties may not cover using your vehicle to pull a boat or camper. We have had some electrical and electronic door issues covered by our warranty around 60k miles.

Another thing you may want to consider is gas mileage. I have two vans, Honda and Nissan, and neither get above 20 mpg in the city. Currently, it cost about $57/week to fill each up.

I read where Mazda makes a more fuel efficient model. ;)

Good luck.
  • batavia02batavia02 Member Posts: 38
    much thanks to bobber 1 and ebert 1104 for their help and answers.
  • kdoonankdoonan Member Posts: 6
    Here are some links that might be of help. You'll have to sort through them a bit. I had a 2002 acura with bad transmission. The dealership I went to fixed it at no cost to me. Seems 2002 was a bad year for transmissions at Honda.

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/documentList.do?docId=04V176&docType=- RCL&fromPublic=true
    http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com/php/login.php#
  • rachaelrrachaelr Member Posts: 1
    Hi, We have a 2002 Odyssey in Edinburgh, Scotland (we're the original owners and took it with us when we moved in 2005). We've been very happy with it, but I'd be very interested in hearing what happens with your vehicle. Has your transmission actually failed, or are you acting beforehand?

Any advice / progress report appreciated.

--Rachael
    I saw that a class actiion suit is starting for the newer years. I tried to contact the attorney to submit my name but he never got back to me. How do I get my name on the list for the new class action suit? I'm luckily only out $800 for our 03 tranny problems but it would be nice to get 100% back from a tranny with only 66,000 miles on it. Now I know why we never got any paperwork back from that repair. I don't know what's worse, Honda's legendary quality or the lip service from American Honda and it's dealerships!
    Brenda - They had problems with the VSA light when in salty winter road conditions. I think it's time to trade your 07 Ody in.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    After 8 months, I traded in 07 Odyssey based on different reasons together, but not the VSA light. I think this is a so-so van instead of great van.

The humming noise during steady light acceleration from crusing, soft brake issue, feel bumps on road, famous tranny problem (thoug not act up yet).

Originally I want to buy the 08 Highlander but the low trade in price didn't allow me to. Last month I got a 08 Pilot instead, it offered great incentive due to last year model. So far the Pilot OEM tires are noisy, and poorer handling and driver seat (firm seat w/right hip feels pressure point) is not as comfortable as the Odyssey. I switched to a better set of tires. Hopefully the dealer will fix the seat issue.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Writing to Japan is an interesting avenue- Honda of America could be trying to keep the issue quiet from Honda Japan...

I have noticed though that as the years progress, it gets harder and harder to get any support from Honda; when I went through my tranny rebuild back in '04 it was pretty painless and fast to get at least a little support.
  • slantinslantin Member Posts: 4
    We just had our 105K service maintenance and we notice our engine light came on with TCS light on and off. I took it to Mel Rapton Honda here in Sacramento and they found gears ok but came out with this code. Their diagnostic test indicate the need to replace transmission. I called Honda Corp 800-999-1009 and reported problem. A reprentative called me 2 days ago and offered to cover 50% of the cost. However, after finding out in the internet that this seems to be more common and no recall has been made, I reported this problem to NHTSA today and was given confirmation # ODI10230141. I advised NHTSA that there's quite a number of owners who have this P0740 problem and Honda has never bother to advise owners like us. There are owners, too, who have to have their transmission replaced twice. ANYONE who has P0740 transmission problem, please email me at slantin@sbcglobal.net so I can include you in my report. The more, the better. Perhaps we can have class-action suit.
    I'm pretty sure you're 100% covered on the 02's up to 109,000 after Honda lost the class action suit for the same problem. Good luck!
  • slantinslantin Member Posts: 4
    Could yo kindly let me know what was the case # or legal firm? The only legal action I'v seen so far was regarding the April 2004 recall. The dealership and Honda Corp told me my case was different. Honda even contested that there was no warranty extension. Thank you again!
  • koastal22koastal22 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Odyssey that i took to the dealer twice for the trans slipping at 85k and 95k miles. The check lite came on in the dash and I brought it to the same dealer and they tell me i need a trans and to call honda. I call and get a case opened and honda says they will not pay anything for it because it is 40k out of warranty. this car still does the same thing it did when i brought it in at 85k miles. the service manager says because the lite did not comes on at 85k it did not need a trans back at 85k??
    BS ! Both Honda Co and the dealership are very well experienced by now of turning customers away because of the high numbers of problems coming to them. i can document that I brought it to them before the warranty expired but I do not know how valid of a legal case I have now to sue them for this.
    I think that if enough people come forward to explain their experience of Honda's negligence with this issue there may be a way to go forward legally with it. Let me know if there is any other action or thoughts about it. Thank you
  • coolpetecoolpete Member Posts: 30
    Do the newer Odyssey models still have these problems? I guess it is hard to know until they reach a certain mileage but has anyone heard of people having transmission issues for 06 and 07 models?

I am in the market for Odyssey and now seriously wondering about the long term reliability of this car.
  • steveo12steveo12 Member Posts: 1
    I know that a few people can make a big noise online so to me it looks like there are many odyssey owners with tranney problems. But, statistically, there may be only 5% with problems and 95% of Odysseys would be fine. Does anyone here have some real statisitcs to what percentage of 02,03,04 Odysseys have had tranney problems or tranneys replaced.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    I don't think you will find statistics on this type of thing. My guess based on following Honda V6 transmission failures on several forums is there is more like 30-40% with transmission failures in the 5 speed '02-'04's.

You have to remember that there is a big population of Odyssey owners that only put 40-50k miles in 5,7, or even 10 years. These are the people that claim the car never had problems.

I personally had bad transmissions on 2 of my 3 V6 Hondas. The third is only 2 years old with 33k miles (slams gears & makes me nervous though) '06 Odyssey.
  • gfh38gfh38 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Odyssey has 53,500 miles on it and I recently brought it in to the dealer for a transmission flush. The service guy later showed me that the transmission case was covered with transmission fluid and suggested that the fluid replacement should wait until that problem was fixed. He said it would cost about $150 to clean the case and remove whatever is in the way of access and to test for the cause of the leak.

Instead, I took the van to an independent transmission shop and they cleaned the case and found a leak on the top that they claimed was a crack in the case. They would replace the case for about $1,600. I called the Honda dealer and was given the number for American Honda which I called. The case manger assigned to me said I would have to bring it to the dealer for verification of the problem before they could consider "goodwill assistance".

The dealership, however claims that they cannot find a crack but that the seals are not leaking. They say they need to remove the transmission to find the problem. The cost of removal would be my responsibility but if found to be a Honda default, they would consider "goodwill assistance" and the cost of removal would not be charged. If they do find a problem, the only solution they seem to have is replacing the transmission with a rebuilt one. Also, they tell me that no Honda rebuilts are available for out of warranty work and that I would have to have a 3rd party remanufactured.

My other option at this point is to take it back to the transmission shop and have them replace the case. Any suggestion or other information?
  • meetme25meetme25 Member Posts: 13
    Update to my problems.

Filed a case with BBB and Honda has now agreed to re-purchase the vehicle.

:lemon:
  • g3guyg3guy Member Posts: 31
    I currently have the P0740 code on my '00 Ody, after a long history of transmission problems with it. A short time after I purchased it, I was getting clunks and missed shifts; took it to my local dealer who said there was no problem. Dash light (Check engine and/or TCS) would come on and I'd go back to the dealer; again, no problem located. I finally got to take the Regional Service Manager for a ride, with the light on. He said there was no problem, this was common on Odys, even his own. Finally, after eight or nine trips just to get the light turned off, one of the servicemen told the local Service Manager in my presence that the tranny was shot and would have to be replaced. The 2004 class-action suit and following legal actions came about then, but I was never notified of them. All was well for several years, until in 2006, the noises and slippage began again. Back to a local dealer (I had moved in the meantime), who could not find a problem. Both lights come on again in November of '07. The Service Manager told me to just keep driving the vehicle and the lights would go out. They did, but last month, the CE light comes on again, back to the dealer, now I need a new $3,000 transmission! The fight goes on: after a candid email to the head Service Manager, Honda has offered a "goodwill" sale of the tranny to me at 30% off. Not good enough, so I started looking at this forum. Many thanks to those who have shared their problems, Honda's actions, and the resulting settlements. They will be handy when I have meetings higher up in the Honda chain.
  • taggertytaggerty Member Posts: 4
    I am military overseas. I have the same problem. I have a 2003 w/103,000 miles and a check engine light a P0740 code and the transmission slips after I drive it a couple of miles. Honda will not help me out because the vehicle is out of the US. I do know for fact that 2 other folks with my problem have been helped over here. At first Honda they said they would help with a reimbursment....then 2 days later they called and said they will not be reimbursing me. I am upset with Honda. I have been a loyal fan....I am now changing my opinion. Any Americas statined overseas with info? :P
    I am military overseas RAF Mildenhall. I have the same problem. I have a 2003 w/103,000 miles and a check engine light a P0740 code and the transmission slips after I drive it a couple of miles. Honda will not help me out because the vehicle is out of the US. I do know for fact that 2 other folks with my problem have been helped over here. At first they said they would help...then 2 days later they called and said they will not be reimbursing me. I am upset with Honda. I have been a loyal fan....I am now changing my opinion. Did you get your vehicle sorted out?
    I am going to have my 03 Ody looked at by John Banks Honda in Cambridge, UK. They are authorized to carry out warranty work on Honda. I towed it down there after Honda said they could reimburse me cost of repair. I am now being told by Honda (US) that they cannot pay anything because the vehicle is out of country. I need some guidance. Looks like a couple military folks went through the same issues. I know 2 off hand...and now you all. Wow...there is something wrong!
  • maltsensationmaltsensation Member Posts: 1
    I have scanned this forum and seen others with the same transmission trouble I am having with my 99 Odyssey with 135K+ miles on it. Am I out of luck on this vehicle or is it possible to still get some help getting it fixed? I was prepared to take this to AAMCO Transmission but may have to consider the dealership if I can get help. I have truely enjoyed this vehicle but am not looking forward to spending its blue book value to get the tranny fixed.

Can anyone give me the links that I will need for documenation to present for repair?

Thanks for any help!!
  • g3guyg3guy Member Posts: 31
    Maltsensation: there's so much good information in the earlier entries, I suggest that you go to page 1 and go all the way through. Not only will you find the references and documents you may need, you will find the different ways that we all have tried to get satisfaction, the problems we have all had, and what worked and what didn't. That will take you a couple of hours, but its time well spent. There's some excellent information in the entries. Be sure to go to //www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com/php/login.php to see if you were covered in the 2004 settlement. Good luck; never give up......
  • irishcaseyirishcasey Member Posts: 36
    Maltsensation - I have a 99 Ody. Trans failed at about 155K. I had read this forum and was familiar with the recall. I also had consistent maintenance work done at the same dealer.
    I had to plead my case to the dealer service manager then talk to two customer reps at NA Honda. Tell them I had an 87 Accord, 92 Accord and had to get a new trans in the 87.
    Bottom line I paid $1,700 for replacement trans with 3 yr 36 month warranty.
    I hated to part with the cash but this is a lot cheaper than a new car. I hope to keep the car to 200K.
    I would like to find out if the TCS light coming on is an early indicator of a failing transmission?

I bot a 2002 Honda Odysessy van at 33,000 miles. I took it on a trip a few weeks later and I got a TCS light that came on. I later took it to the dealer and the replaced something that was a recall. Now, at 50,000, the transmission won't go into 2nd or 3rd gear.

The van was orginally purchased by the first owner and maintained at the Honda Dublin dealership in california (i have the records); however I bot the van at a non-honda dealership, a Chevy Dealer (with the certification of being checked by a qualifed technician). Honda of America won't pay for hardly anything---my cost would still be about $3,000.

Honda says it's because they don't know the history of van, but I have the records---they don't want to see them. When pushed, they said it is because I didn't buy the van at a Honda dealer. I told them my experience of 5 previous Hondas, no problems, all over 200,000 miles and I bought them all at dealerships---this being the first that wasn't. Honda doesn't care about past purchases, only this vehicle.

They know about that many have received a high percentage of monetary help from HoAm, with almost double mileage that I have, but still, the issue is for them that I didn't buy it at a Honda dealer. It makes me very mad and makes me not ever want to buy a Honda again.
    No. 2002 are not covered---yet! Hopefully, there will be a class-action. Ours went out at only 50,000 and the dealer/HoAm won't do more than a few hundred dollars because we purchased it a non-honda dealer. But, we have all records of previous maintaince from a Honda Dealer.
  • cristian1cristian1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi to all Honda owners, well I have now the second Odyssey, it is a XL 2002 with 70.000 k on it, it is my wife’s car, I’m driving a 04 Accord (no complains) but lately my wife told me and I noticed too that the engine it is going crazy sometimes. For example suddenly the engine’s RPM goes from 2000 to 6 or 7ooo and the car it is just going like 45-60 mil/hour
    It’s there any one that experienced the same anomaly? Please let me know what you did to get rid of the problem. Thank you! :)
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    You usually can't go wrong with a Lexus, except maybe the SUV. I know for a while their sedans were rated the most reliable cars out there.
  • ebotrdebotrd Member Posts: 5
    Looks like I found my club to commiserate. Our van's at the dealer now to figure out what the problem is, but it's been lurching between 1st & 2nd, and 2nd & 3rd. Popped out of gear (rpm's went way up in "neutral" for a few seconds) on a few occasions. We'll keep y'all updated, but there are 700+ of us here. Maybe we should get together somehow and push Honda to give us a similar deal as the 99-01 folks got: http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com/php/login.php#
    I'm no lawyer, but it doesn't sound all that different to me.
  • shivamshivam Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have the same problem with my 05 odyssey.
    No throttle response, power locks, rear sliding door and VSE light.
    What was the outcome?
    Thanks, any help will be appreciated.
  • dgram41dgram41 Member Posts: 1
    Hey y'all -- my 1999 Hon. Ody. needs a new transmission. Same problems switching into 2nd, 3rd, etc. I'm planning on driving this van into the ground. I'm the original owner - it has over 201,000 miles on it and the only preventive maintenance I've done is have the oil changed. I don't feel so bad now. I guess I must have gotten "one of the good ones". Good luck to all of you -- make Honda do the right thing -- remember that the "squeaky wheel gets the grease"! :shades:
  • ebotrdebotrd Member Posts: 5
    When we first brought it to the dealer to check why the engine light was on, they said they couldn't find anything wrong & just turned off the engine light. Then a friend told me it might be the transmission and i looked around & found this & other forums. So, we brought it to another local dealer (didn't tell them anything to clue them in...just check the engine light). (By the way we bought our Ody in another state, so couldn't go back to that dealer.) They said it was the transmission of course. At that point, we at least knew they were competent. The manager there called American Honda and said they would pay 80% and we'd pay 20% of the $3,900 bill. I told him we appreciate all that he's doing to help, but, armed with info from these forums including that LA Times article, and our family's history of multiple Honda's owned, told him we know there is a manufacturing defect in this model (as there was in the '99 - '01 Odysseys for which they extended the warranty to 109,000 miles!), and we expect American Honda to "goodwill it" -- to replace the transmission at no charge to us with at least 3 years' warranty, as well as a loaner car while waiting. I also told him we got the oil injector kit installed as soon as notified in '04, and maintained the car very well -- often at the dealer. Curiously, he did ask if we were the original owners (which other posters have said they were asked -- maybe that carries some weight with them?) He said he'd email them and try. He apparently didn't get any further (or didn't try) as I didn't hear from him and we were charged $800 when we picked it up. I will now try going directly to American Honda for reimbursement, which probably will be a waste of time. I do appreciate the 80% off, but the fact remains that I've never had the transmission die on me at 80K in any car of any make, and there's obviously some defect in these models. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a Honda transmission to last well over 150K if not the life of the care. I don't think we should even be paying the $800, not to mention the week without our primary car being a big hassle. My friend got the extended warranty on his Ody because he knew this issue might come up, but it was $1400. As for us, we're grateful for the large discount, but feel that Honda's not handling this well -- are they just waiting for another class-action lawsuit? Especially for life-long customers who did everything right, we fill let down. If we're not fully reimbursed, we're going to avoid Honda in the future, and recommend our friends & family do the same.