Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I want to laugh but I know that isn't appropriate. It is riduculous when a manufacturer tells us "no problem" but the condition is going to have any sound-minded buyer try to discount the vehicle's price. Just my $.02. Whether it is a real or percieved problem, the end result is the same: the vehicle is worth less.

John
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    If your noise lasts more than a few minutes after startup, the problem should have been attended to by Subaru. I think their official stance is that it's 'normal' unless it lasts after warmup. The noise is also similar to the sound the camshaft drive belt can make if the tensioner is failing, which could persist after warmup. FWIW, my '98 Forester slaps for a few minutes after startup if the ambient temp is below maybe 5* C (~ 40* F) Colder = worse slap, but it always goes away after 3 or 4 minutes. These days, the morning temps are a little nicer, and I have none, or very little slap at startup. If your engines are still exhibiting the 'slap' when warm, it's not 'normal'.
    My 2 cents.
    Owen
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Those interior pictures on Edmunds of the 05 Forester LL Bean can't be those of the 05 Forester LL Bean - isn't that an 05 Legacy interior?
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    Noise was evident even up to an Hour after warm up. Subaru Dist Rep still said it was normal.
    No Dealer names given...but...
    Dealer that did right by me is just across the NY/NJ border in Rockland Cty. Dealer and Dist Rep that continued to say it was 'normal' were close by me here in Northern NJ.
    P.S. Timing Belt Tensioner was replaced back at 17K.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yes, our Mazda 626 needed a "throttle body service" because it was starting to hesitate badly. We paid about what you paid and it made a big (positive) difference.

-juice
  • 19421311942131 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all who responded to my piston slap problem. As a follow up, I sent an e-mail to Subaru. They responded to me by telling me that they have made many refinements in their new models; however, they made no comment about the piston slap---Dare I venture for a 04 or 05 Forester, or for that matter, any Subaru with a 2.5?
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...MPG fast becoming a big-time concern. Like to see the posts reporting 26-30+. Would it be a fair statement to say that piston slap on the '05 will be minimal. Still saving my NR pay for a Forester....ez
  • zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    I know all the hype is about the '05 Legacy and Outback (test drove both--very nice, but not for me). My question, which the dealer could not answer with sufficient clarity, is when will we see the '05 Foresters?

Also, since the Edmunds site has little information on specifics, are there sites out there that can detail any performance modifications (if any)?

Zman
  • bblachabblacha Member Posts: 160
    ... are definitely misplaced. The interior is that of the Outback.

I second zman's question - anyone know when 05 Foresters are out?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    For errors, please use the Contact Us form:

Contact us

Thanks!

Steve, Host
    Done.

By the way, I'm impressed that Edmunds has more info than subaru.com (05 Forester colors, specs, prices.)

Now, back to the pressing question of, when are the 05's coming out?
  • caperosiercaperosier Member Posts: 58
    Long, cold, wet spring here in Downeast Paradise. Puddles and water traps everywhere.
    A headlight was smashed by a roadkilling turkey last winter (a jake for those in the know). Replaced it w an "aftermarket" headlight which leaks, blowing up the lamps because of the water and moisture inside hitting the hot light. Can't find the leak.
    Methods: siphoning out the water--about an inch - w a small hose taped to a vacuum cleaner, then blowing hot air into the light.
    Still have condensate inside.
    Any ideas out there ? The OEM Forester headlamp is still solid from 2001. The Subaru replacement is about 2X the cost of the aftermarket one....maybe penny wise here ?
    Thx.
  • joybelljoybell Member Posts: 275
    ....on any Subaru vehicles. This told to me when I bought my first new Subaru in 1987. I don't remember the reason for it. I had a used Subaru before that which ran fine on regular unleaded. But since that new Subaru, I have always used high octane premium gas. Old habits die hard. Now I wonder.....especially with the prices the way they are. Should I switch to 87 octane (regular) gas in my Forester X? Would it actually be better to do that? I heard some alarm bells when a previous poster here mentioned "carbon deposits" with the higher octane gas!
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I don't think you get carbon deposits with higher octane gas. In fact, in the past, the higher grades of gas have included better additives and detergents so they might even be better. I have used 92-93 octane in my cars for many years without any problems.

Oh, and I would not use premium in a Subaru unless it was called for (as in the turbo models) or *you* want to use it. There's no blanket reason why all Subarus would need premium.

Craig
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    maybe penny wise (but pound foolish) here?

Yep, that's my take on it :-)

-Frank P
    Using premium in any vehicle that doesn't call for it is merely enriching the oil industry (premium has a higher profit margin). The only exception being if you need to use premium to retard pinging.

-Frank P
    Well I tried to get the photos corrected, but the guy in charge is not open to corrections; maybe feedback from more users will convince him. Having said that, I sure wish the Forester's interior was that nice :-)

(quote)
    In reponse to your question about the photography of the 2005 Subaru Forester
    actually being that of the Subaru Outback, I'm afraid I'm going to have to
    disagree with you. The 4th, 5th and 6th shot in the photo gallery are all from
    one large, hi-resolution image borrowed from a Subaru Press CD at the 2004 New
    York Auto Show. This particular photo is that of the 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5XS
    L.L. Bean Edition, which enhances its interior decor with parts and
    design-themes from the new Outback and Legacy models.

(snip)
    Sincerely,

Matt Landish
    Senior Photojournalist
    Edmunds.com, Inc.
    (end quote)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    hmmm, maybe the press CD was wrong?

Steve, Host
  • spartspart Member Posts: 4
    I appreciate the responses on the pinging issue. So, if using 87 octane continues to cause pinging, is this causing any damage to the engine or is it more annoying than anything? (I will, of course, continue to follow up on this w/ the dealership.) I mean, are half the 2.5 Subarus out there running around pinging, but still clocking 200k miles on the odometer (I wonder after driving the pinging 02 Impreza loaner)? Or, is something peculiar with my engine that I need to make sure is corrected? Thanks again.
    FWIW, I had 6 tanks in a row above 26 mpg recently. In fact I have to update my mileage chart because I haven't in a while, and lately I've been doing quite well. Went almost 400 miles last tank.

Stick to regular fuel on the non-turbo H4 Subies, that's all you need. It's not a high compression ratio engine, nothing really exotic. 1996 models with the 2.5l did require premium fuel, but not since 1997.

-juice
    An occasional pinging under load (like when accelerating or going uphill) is okay but if it's doing it constantly you risk damaging the engine. I can't remeber, have you tried 89 octane and did the pinging go away?

-Frank P
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    My 01 OB pings on 89 octane, mostly under load when the engine is reving low. I thought about changing the O2 sensor(s) to see if it helps. Knock sensor was changed by SOA after CEL. Not too worried about it.

Greg
  • spartspart Member Posts: 4
    I have tried 93 and it has gone away...I haven't tried 89 yet.
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I visited a local Subie dealer (which shall remain nameless) this past Friday and was informed that production of the '05 Foresters had yet to begin in Japan and would not begin "for several months." No explanation or elaboration given.

I don't place much credence in that statement given the rep's inability to elaborate. Further, that doesn't explain the red '05 Bob Holland and I saw at the Philly Flower Show earlier this year - unless that car was a pre-production prototype.

Ed
  • rwitterwitte Member Posts: 12
    ...or the handful of '05 LLBean Foresters I saw at a Subaru dealer (in Indy) on Sunday...

Randy
    What they're really saying is "please buy an '04 before the new ones arrive".

-juice
    You took the words right out of my mouth! :-)

-Frank
    OK all you auto body mavens: how does the headlight for an 01 Forester come out and be replaced.
    The "penny wise" (and yeah, "pound foolish" is assumed) aftermarket one leaked and filled w a couple of inches of water. Yes, it was kind of fun watching lamps blow from the water hitting the hot lamp. The real, live OEM Subaru headlight [non-permissible content removed]'y is ready on the rear seat.

Anyone with experience removing this and replacing the same ? This hack would enjoy some graphics if available. Any offical manual instructions ? Please, very specific directions. There're many bolts, screws, tabs. A grill. A parking/signal light. Whew ! Those plastic tabs look easy to break.
    Thanks. Downeast thanks you.
    I can only offer that the grill comes off pretty easily. IIRC, there's four tabs holding it on at the top. If this mechanically challenged person can get it off without breaking any of the tabs then I'm confident that you can!

-Frank
    A salesman at Van Bortel Subaru told me the first allocations of regular '05 Foresters are slated for mid-July, ostensibly to be in the dealerships around early to mid August. The LL Beans apparently will be distributed earlier, if they haven't already been released (sounds like they have in some parts of the country).

He's always been a pretty reliable source, and he's one of the few salesmen I've met who really knows and has a passion for the vehicles!

Well, maybe I can coax one more summer in Maine out of my Volvo--we live at the end of a pretty long and bumpy dirt road. It will give me just that much more time to try to convince my wife that we should get the XT rather than the XS (at least I talked her out of the Honda Element).

Finally, what is ETC (new on the '05 2.5i) and what exactly does it do?

Zman
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Thanks, Zman!

Ed
    ETC = Electronic Throttle Control (no more throttle cable)

By the way, do you have a brother named Karl? There's someone posting in the Future Models whose user ID is Zman3. It'd be quite the coincidence if you're not related ;-)

-Frank
    One new Town Hall member works at a dealer and I think he said he saw an LL Bean model, if you had specific questions for him. He's lurking around in several topics, and if I "see" him I'll refer him to this thread.

To get to the headlight remove the grille first, as Frank said. I think it's bolted down in 3 places IIRC. Removing the grille reveals a bolt at the bottom, I think.

Sorry, it's been about 3 years since I did it and I took no pics (and I usually do).

-juice
    Thanks for the info on the ETC.

Karl and I have chatted from time to time, but no, we're not related. Nevertheless, we both have asked the same question online: where are Zmen 1 & 2?

What are folks getting for mpg on the XS-MT?

Zman
    Mine is a '98 L, but I average 25 mpg with it. Best is 30.4mpg, worst was 17.3 mpg while towing.

-juice
    I averaged 26.5 mpg with my 01 S but that was with an 80% hwy commute. Best was just over 30 and worse was in the low 20s (like Juice I was towing).

The XT gets about 15% less mpg across the board (best, worst & avg).

-Frank
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    XS 5MT 80/20 highway city, typically about 27.5. As low as 25.5, as high as 31 (all highway). My summer mpg are 1-2 mpg lower than the winter (ac factor--I had 29 mpg when I sweated a week to find out why my mpg had dipped so low). 21k on car now.

John
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    Success...w muchissimo words at/for/on the engineers.
    Grill does come off w some fussing. Those tabs or snaps are worth the design engineer going to a warm hell.
    Then the parking light [non-permissible content removed]'y slips (sic) off. Then the headlight [non-permissible content removed]'y with the tabs and bolts.
    BTW: that same engineer designs those tabs in a dark room: no two are the same.
    Appreciate the assist guys. But count on more than the "book" time for a first run.
    Thanks for the 05 info zman.

ETC is supposed to improve fuel economy. I think I read somewhere it accomplishes that by preventing a wider throttle opening than is warranted by the RPM and other factors. Subaru claims that it has a MORE natural response than direct-link (I haven't tried it yet.)
  • spikeitspikeit Member Posts: 2
    04 XS MT - getting about 23 mpg. Probably 90/10 city/hwy. I only have about 5700 miles on it though and the mpg has been creeping up since I bought it last October. My best has been about 28 mpg.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Car and Driver, in the latest issue, did reviews of both the '05 Outback XT and the SAAB 9-2X a.k.a. Impreza WRX.
  • tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    the 9-2X Arc is when loaded up it hits STi terrirory. Id still rather a WRX wagon anyway. Leather is not comfortable to me in the weather extremes I experience in PA (hot in summer cold in winter) I'd rather a cloth interior anyway. One thing I would like to know is if the 9-2X can have a sunroof why cant the WRX wagon? I mean they are basically the same car as far as I can tell.

Kyle
    I think the '03 got throttle-by-wire, they just reprogrammed it for '05. If mileage improves for the XT, fantastic. I'd love to see the X and XS improve as well, as the Outback has.

GM probably strong armed FHI into that moonroof (and all-weather package) deal for Saab.

-juice
  • rsay777rsay777 Member Posts: 100
    I've always liked the idea of amber turn signals (Suby norm?) as opposed to red. I think they are more noticeable. I was behind a Baja the other day and noticed that the rear turn signals are red. Why would Subaru make the Baja different? Bob L.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..fuel costs, their upward spiral, et al - -
      It is refreshing to note the range 26 - 31 MPG for an (altho uniquely small) SUV..........

Now (using all the techniques (roof rack purge, tire pressure up, cruise, highway, reasonable speed) anyone crack 32.

The adjusted for the masses EPA highway figure (were the truth to be known) is really only .78X

...ez
    IIRC I think one or two owners have attained 31 mpg but don't recall anyone hitting 32. However I'm sure under ideal conditions and using all the techniques you described, 32 is reachable.

-Frank
  • 10years10years Member Posts: 48
    Don't forget the synthetic oil component. I started with MOBIL l about 2,000 miles ago and believe I'm getting 1-2 mpg better. Since the switch I'm averaging 27.7 mpg (80% highway/20% city) on the 03 X with AT at 17,000 miles. Roof Rack Intact. :o)
    Why is Baja different? Maybe they thought truck buyers were more accustomed to the common-on-domestics red lights?

ez: FWIW I got my 30.4 mpg best-ever with the roof rack cross bars in place.

What's also interesting is that I have bigger than stock tires, so when I say I average 25 mpg, I'm actually traveling about 1.3% farther than my odometer reading.

Of course that's presuming the odo is accurate in the first place...

I actually recall someone once reported mileage in the 33s, but only once.

-juice
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I hit that once. Exactly 32.00 MPG, but that was when my '01 S 5 speed was new, and I was babying it during the first 1000 mile break-in period. I cracked 30 MPG twice shortly thereafter, but never again since then. Of course, I don't baby it anymore (93K miles and counting). I average 26-27 MPG nowadays during summer driving, and only 22-24 during winter months, when we're forced to use the "winter blend" of gas here in New Jersey.

Len
This discussion has been closed.