Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Caravan/Voyager Oxygen Sensor

masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
edited April 2014 in Dodge
Hello all, I wanted to post this in the Problems and Solutions forum, but it is read only now. Just this past weekend, I was changing the spark plugs and wires. I was able to get to the Oxygen Sensor, but none of my tools could get a grip on it to loosen it. Is there a special tool needed for removal? 01 DGC EX w/3.8L engine. Thanks.

Comments

• mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    I'll be doing the same job to our 2001 3.8L in the near future. When I did the O2 sensor on my Bonneville, none of my tools gave me access to the sensor. The local auto parts store had a tool(about $18) that is best described as a deep well socket with the side removed. This allows clearance for the pigtail. Hopefully, this same tool can be used on the Dodge.
  • stlrjstlrj Member Posts: 1
    I was able to get to my 02 sensor on my 99 Grand Caravan using a special 02 sensor crow foot socket from Napa auto parts. Had to crawl underneath to get it from below.
  • laurieblaurieb Member Posts: 1
    Someone told me I need my 02 sensors replaced, made it sound like I had 2????? Also told me to get to one the carpet would have to be pulled up INSIDE the van. From your message sounds like he was pulling my leg. Just where are the sensor(s) located?
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    Newer vehicles do have 2 heated Oxygen sensors, upstream and downstream. They are not accessible from inside the vehicle. I believe one is located in or just past the exhaust manifold, the other just past the catalytic converter. Like was mentioned above you need a special wrench and conductive grease to install replacements. These retail anywhere from $50-$100 a piece.
  • chessorchessor Member Posts: 7
    Am in process of replacing my transmission in my 1996 dodge caravan 3.0 v6 with 3speed automatic without the overdrive. Have purchased a used transmission out of a plymouth acclaim looks like will bolt up to engine but is missing the crankshaft sensor. My question will transmission work without the crankshaft sensor. I don't think so?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    Can you not swap the sensor into the other transmission? If not, the control units will likely have issues with this replacement.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    yes I just now finished taking gears from the transmission that didn't have the sensor and put in my transmission,but what a job got it installed works ok but now engine cuts off when it wants to but been doing that for sometime once it does stop running starts back up quickly. gives me code 37 error?
    :( The cutting out makes me think maybe there is a mass airflow sensor problem. According to other forums, code 37 is for "Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit or park/neutral switch failure." I doubt that is causing the engine to stall, though stranger things have happened, I suppose!

Well done replacing the sensor! Quite a chore, so I hope the price was right on that transmission! ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Yes got the transmission for $325.00. Rented a transmission jack $25.00 but was worth it as the floor jack that i have kind of difficult to install a transmission.
    Oh, for sure! I helped a friend replace the auto transmission on his '67 El Camino from underneath. Just the two of us and a floor jack. What a mess, but we got it done. :P
  • bassmaster1bassmaster1 Member Posts: 11
    just saw your message,there is one o2 sensor that the connector is under carpet,about the middle of the van,but only if the van is a flex fuel van.that is another one as they said.
  • leotaurleotaur Member Posts: 17
    The engine warning light came on on our 2005 GC SXT here in Mexico, and they report the Emission Control needs to be replaced at a cost of about $300.00 plus labour..
    Someone else said that the vehicle will operate satisfactorily without it, and we should have it disconnected and removed, and we can replace it on our return to Canada in the spring, and that all that will happen is a slight increase in fuel consumption.
    We have noticed this already during the 3 weeks we have had the van running fine, since this light appeared,.After the local Chrysler dealer did a computer check. I saw the screen when he had it connected, and it was showing a fault with the "Emissions Control".Any advice ??DougW
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Should be covered by the emissions warranty (6 or 8 year warranty on the emissions system including the catalytic converter). Check your owner's manual or warranty booklet. Good luck.
  • mark186mark186 Member Posts: 1
    what is the oxygen sensor heater failure. I had this code before and after replacing oxygen sensor. 2005 t/c 3.8
  • joepeterson56joepeterson56 Member Posts: 95
    I am only guessing, that that would be a heating element built into a 3 wire O2 sensor, and doesn't apply to a 2 wire sensor. As far as you still having the code after changing the sensor: 1) DID YOU ERASE THE ERROR CODE FROM THE ECM AFTER CHANGING THE SENSOR AND BEFORE TURNING THE KEY ON? 2) Are you aware the these vehicles usually have 2 O2 Sensors on them? Maybe you changed the wrong one, or maybe they were both bad. Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.