Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Caravan/Voyager Exterior Finish

ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
edited March 2014 in Chrysler

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Comments

• good4ugood4u Member Posts: 18
    We finally got our Voyager back today.... 10 days and $900 later. We washed and vacuumed it, so now it feels like a new van so we're not kicking ourselves for not buying one of the vans we test drove.
    I noticed, though, after washing it, there is a tiny bit of rust forming right below the sliding doors on both sides. It's not on the door itself, but there's a little ledge that comes a little ways out from under the van... it's hardly visible because the van is dark green. But, we have had it rust-proofed... should there be rust forming? Any advice?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Rust proofing prevents rust from froming from the inside out. It sounds like you are seeing rust forming on the outside, which is fairly normal in that location for any car. The good news is that the metal used on modern cars is fairly resistant to rust so what you are probably seeing is just light surface rust in areas where you've kicked up rocks and knocked the paint off.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 97dodgegrandes97dodgegrandes Member Posts: 5
    Hello, can you tell me where the ledge is you are refering to? Is it associated with the sliding door? Top or bottom? Is it in the door track on the top? Close to the front of vehicle? Thanks, Mike
  • good4ugood4u Member Posts: 18
    The ledge is not associated with the sliding door. You almost have to lean over to see it directly under the sliding door. There's just a speck of rust forming on a seam. It's the same color as the van itself, but it is almost under the van.
  • jasonmwcjasonmwc Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased an 06 DGC SXT model and started looking under neath. I noticed that there is surface rust on some of the engine components and the front suspension arms. Is that normal? I know it is just surface rust (now anyway) but I am wondering about long term. Thanks.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    I know it is just surface rust (now anyway) but I am wondering about long term. Thanks.

You'll need to watch this rust carefully, especially the engine block and other component. If not taken care of, in 200 years, it may cause major problems.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    To my complete shock, last week I discovered that the hood on our 2001 ES had rusted through on the leading edge where the sheet metal is folded under. Technically, it is 2 months past the corrosion warranty but as I told the dealer, this has clearly been going on for awhile. I'm still waiting to see what Chrysler will or won't do but I thought I'd post this now so that people will know to inspect the underside of the hood for any rust.
    We do live in northern Illinois but the car is generally garaged and with the mild winters the last few years, there hasn't been much in the way of salt on the roads.
  • motoringmamamotoringmama Member Posts: 35
    When I purchased my 2001 ES used, I had noticed at the time that the paint was starting to bubble up into rust in the very spots you mentioned. I pointed it out to the dealer and his response was, "well it'll be a while before that goes all the way through". Comforting. I have to wonder if this is a flawed area. Maybe if enough people notice this happening (and this is the only place I see rust starting), then they'll do something about it. I also live in Northern Illinois.
    I'd be waiting on that dealer's doorstep because based on past experience with Chrysler, they aren't generally inclined to go beyond the warranty period.
    As a reminder, the corrosion warranty, at least in 2001, was 5 years from the date of purchase or 100,000 miles.
  • gino45gino45 Member Posts: 52
    I've got a 2001 that has a rusting tail gate. It seems to be rusting from the seam at the bottom of the tail gate. I noticed this problem when the van was 2yrs old. Took it back to the dealer, but they simply sanded the rust and re-painted the seam. It ended up rusting again 6 months later. Took it back to the dealer a 2nd time, and guess what? It started rusting again 6 months later. The problem is that it is rusting within the seam and the only way to fix it is to open up the seam and sand away all the rust. Too expensive to do, which is why the dealer went for the quick fix. My hood doesn't seem to be rusting, but I have noticed pin size rust spots on the lower half of my doors and tail gate. I would say that my van has a paint issue, but unfortunately the rust hasn't gone thru the panels so Chrysler won't do anything.
  • dodge01dodge01 Member Posts: 12
    I feel your pain. My 2001 ES is also suffering this problem. My 5yrs is up in July and I am 5000mi from 100k. I took it to the dealer body shop and they said that yes it is rusting, and yes its coming thru from underside but intil it is a "perforation" they will not fix it. I doubt that it will perforate prior to expire warranty.

He told me I could contact regional rep but said he has never had a customer come back, meaning the regional rep will deny also.

Sounds like a flaw to me that they should addess for their customers.

He told me it would be a ballpark cost of $1500 to fix.
    Earlier this year, I found a quarter size bubble forming on the leading edge of our 2001. It was 2 months over the 5 year corrosion warranty and Chrysler stood on that as the basis of denying any help in fixing the problem. I even offered to take on most of the cost of the repair if they just supplied the hood but no deal. It was very clear in looking at the hood that it had not been properly sealed where the inner and outer sheet metal met. At least one other person responded that they had had the same problem.
    The point of this post to is urge people to closely inspect the hood on your 2002 or 2003 before the corrosion warranty expires.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    We have an 01 DGC EX and have some surface rust under the hood too. It can be easily fixed by sanding the rust off and applying some of that stop rust spray. Are tail gate has been rusting for the past two years now where the two metals meet. When I talked to the dealership about it before the corrosion warranty was up, they said that they would not repair it unless there was a hole in the metal. So I will have to sand it too. :shades:
    Trust me, this has corroded from the inside out so just sanding it and repainting won't fix the problem.
  • medic604medic604 Member Posts: 2
    Is there a way to reduce the dullness of the plastic lenses of my '97 Caravan? They are so dull that it has significantly reduced the headlights distance and brightness. Can they be buffed out or polished? If so, how? I would like to avoid purchasing new ones at about $150/ea.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    Most auto parts stores sell plastic headlight polish. You could google it and get hundreds of replies.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I had that with my old Windstar. It was in an accident and one of the lights had to be replaced and you could really see the difference. I had some dents pulled at the time it was being fixed and had the light "buffed" for $30. It was a little high but you could not tell the difference between the one that was 7 years old and the new one.
  • dodgedave38dodgedave38 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, nice to meet y'all. I am looking for information on rear windshields on Caravans. I have a 1995 Grand Caravan and am looking for a replacement rear window (windshield). Does anyone know what other year model(s) might have the same piece of glass in that big hole? I compared it to a 1993 model, and they look and measure pretty close, but can't be sure if they will fit each other. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.