Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 400h Brake Problems

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited August 2014 in Lexus
Having an issue with your brakes? This is the place to discuss it and work out a solution.

Comments

• Options
    lexrexbluelexrexblue Member Posts: 38
    Anyone else experiencing a high pitched squealing sound when backing out of their garage? It occurs when the car hasn't been driven for awhile. My driveway is on a hill, but it has only been occuring the past week.
  • Options
    drtwinsmomdrtwinsmom Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem! Typically the squealing is worse when the car is first backed out in the am but now that it has been colder, the squealing is occurring later in the day and more loudly. I took the car in to the dealer. They did not want to believe anything was wrong and blew me off. (The service department here is worthless.) They stated that an "inspection" of the brakes was normal--translation: they did not really look I adamantly took the car in again 2 weeks later and my clever husband made a dvd of the car being backed out of the garage squealing VERY loudly. That afternoon we got a sheepish call from the service guy saying they had looked into the problem further and found a Lexus technical bulletin describing the squealing in both the 2005 330 and the 2006 400h and recommending a change of the front brake rotors. Call your service people and mention the technical service bulletin regarding front brake squeal noise. Hopefully their service department is better than the one here!
  • Options
    Actually, I did bring the car in for service. I was going to wait, but they asked me to bring it in anyway so they could check on it overnight. They suspected something and wanted to check it. They did something to the rotars. It doesn't squeak anymore. Thanks.
  • Options
    Has anyone had problems with the brakes? Mine have had a high pitched screech backing out of the garage (my driveway is on a hill) and down the driveway. The rotors have been resurfaced numerous times but it kept coming back. A "brake kit" was installed, too. Then the car lurched forward and then braked going down a hill 3 times. I was so shaken I just drove it to the dealer. All 4 rotors were resurfaced again. The dealer doesn't know the cause of these spots on the brakes. I'm getting unnerved after the last episode.
  • Options
    lexusteklexustek Member Posts: 4
    THERE IS A TSIB FOR BRAKE VIBRATION ISSUES AND NOISES, MAKE SURE THE NEWEST SET OF ROTORS HAS BEEN INSTALLED ON YOUR VEHICLE AS WELL AS PADS. AND THE SCREECHING NOISE CAN BE LESSENED WITH A PRODUCT BY DOW. THIS IS A SILICONE GEL THAT CAN BE APPLIED TO THE END OF THE PADS AND ON THE SPRING KIT.
  • Options
    Thanks. I wonder if that was the "brake kit" that was installed before. The brakes have been quiet lately. However, before warming up, the car will still lurch after slowing down/stopping. It appears to be the electric motors. I plan to have it checked out soon. It's just disconcerting to drive. I leave plenty of room ahead of me at all times.
  • Options
    drgkjedrgkje Member Posts: 21
    2006 400h. the abs light came on...is there a way to get diagnostic info about the defective component without specialized tools (that dealers have)? e.g., in acura one can get info by shorting two pins in a service connector; the abs light flashes and provides a 2-digit code.

thanks
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You're likely experiencing the coastdown ICE "fuel-cut" technique. Fueling of the ICE is only restored once road speed declines below ~5MPH resulting in a seat of the pants "lurch" feeling.

Just a guess.
This discussion has been closed.