Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Honda Pilot

Comments

• Options
    benmiamibenmiami Member Posts: 2
    I took delivery of a 2009 EX-L on April 19th. A week later I noticed it was pulling to the right so I took it in. Dealer claimed to had realigned it but nothing really changed. My wife went back today (a week later) and she was told that they couldn't find anything wrong with the car; that Honda cars did that. The service person was very inquisitive about the number of seconds before the car would veer to the side. This sounds like a big fat lie to me.

Can anyone please give me any guidelines/ideas?
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Drive on the left lane of the interstate, does it still drift right?
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    google under "tire pulling" ... most likely one of the tire on front is defective during manufacturing.
    The quickest way to find out is "road force" test by a unique Hunter machine. Once pinpoint the problem tire then tire manufacturer will send a new one to exchange the bad one under warranty.
  • Options
    benmiamibenmiami Member Posts: 2
    Yes, it drifts on any lane; whether accelerating or not.
  • Options
    rexfrexf Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone have any information if Honda intends to address the shortcomings noted by Edmunds and others in the 2009 Pilot? Namely, marginal horsepower, lackluster fuel economy and lousy braking distances. I'm waiting for Honda to fix these issues, otherwise it looks like the 2010 Mazda CX-9 is the vehicle for me.
  • Options
    citivascitivas Member Posts: 144
    I have no idea but I doubt they will significantly improve those issues until they do another major model change and since the '09 is the first year of the model refresh that's unlikely for a while.

The fuel economy is not bad for its class -- slightly better than the CX-9 and on par with most other non-premium 3-row CUV's and meaningfully better than most premium CUV’s. The exception is the Highlander, which is best in class for fuel econ.

Personally I don't see the need for any more horsepower so I guess it’s just a matter of what your priorities are. I enjoyed the ride on the CX-9 but hated the poor cabin tech. The Pilot zooms when I need to, accelerating rapidly enough to pass without issue or get to full speed on a freeway on ramp, etc. I have accelerated to 60 faster than the times listed in some tests and have found it accelerates as well or better than my previous Lexus RX300, Explorer or Sienna. Don’t need any more since it’s a family car, not intended for the track. And it has enough power to haul as much or more than most of the CUV’s in it’s class, with a couple exceptions. And unlike most, it actually comes with the hitch and tow prep package standard in the Touring model. With the Toyota, they don’t even offer a factory hitch – you have to get a third party mod after the fact.

I’ve read about the poor braking too and have no basis to refute it since I don’t have a test track and haven’t been in an accident. I will say for normal braking, including some sudden stops, its better than our Toyota Sienna or our former Explorer’s or Lexus. The braking is much more natural than with the Toyota’s. From what I’ve read the issue in a true emergency has more to do with the tires than the vehicle but I’m not an expert.

The CX-9 is a great choice overall too. It won’t get you better fuel econ but the ride is nice.
    h
  • Options
    gregg15gregg15 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same experience. I noticed my wiper was missing when I heard a grinding sound. Took it to my local Honda dealer. They told me they never heard of it. Replaced the blade. 3 days later it fell off again. I brought it back to the dealer and they blamed me. Would not give me a new wiper. I fought with them for a new window, since the car is under warranty and their product is defective. Apparently the manager spoke with corporate who would not cover it. I am really angry. This is a defective product and they are not covering it. They claim the owners manual clearly states that the wipers need to be taped for a car wash.

Apparently Honda is aware of this problem and there is a document that I have yet to obtain that acknowledges it.

Has anyone els had this problem?
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    They claim the owners manual clearly states that the wipers need to be taped for a car wash.

Have you been to the car wash with it? Sorry if I missed that post.
  • Options
    poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    I too believe that the supposed shortcomings are overstated.

Most signficantly, I find it odd that the Pilot is criticized for both MPG and horsepower. The MPG rating is right in line with the other vehicles in the class, and the ones that do better are for the most part smaller in size / weight. I also find it interesting that Chevy has an entire ad dedicated to bashing the Pilot's MPG, when the Traverse gets ONE MPG better. If that's enough to sway you given the reliability histories of the two companies, you are easily swayed.

The horsepower is also perfectly adequate. Anything higher would, of course, reduce MPG. I haven't towed anything, but my other vehicle is a 265-HP Maxima, I have a lead foot, and while the Pilot doesn't rocket-start like my Maxima, I don't expect that it should.

As for the braking results, I too must abstain. Test results are what they are, but other than the ability to potentially avoid an accident, they say little about real-world driving conditions, and to this point I haven't noticed any issues.
  • Options
    Yeah, the Chevy ad made me laugh too. They must really be desperate if that’s the best favorable comparison they could come up with. It gets a whole 1 MPG better on the highway in EPA conditions (the city MPG is identical). Averaged out to real-world combined city/highway MPG per tank, it is a fraction of 1 MPG and within the statistical margin of error. Which means the actual mileage advantage of the vehicle is substantially less than the specific circumstances of the individual driving conditions and the driver. It’s certainly nothing to get excited about or base a purchase decision on…
  • Options
    bigal17bigal17 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have any experience with the Hands Free Link system when added as an accessory to a Pilot that did not come with NAV? I'm wondering the following:

- ease of operation
    - location of controls (steering wheel or ceiling)
    - where does the driver hear the conversation- over existing stereo speakers, or out of a ceiling mounted speaker installed as part of the accessory?
    - sound quality
  • Options
    krs2avrkrs2avr Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and have had my Pilot EXL for less than a week! I want to see if anyone else has had a shake in the wheel when braking.
    I have noticed it if I am braking over 40 mph... not slamming on the brakes, just a "regular" slow down. The wheel shakes/vibrates a bit, and there is a sound from the front that I can't quite describe. (reminds me of hearing a truck brake on the highway going down hill). The car does not veer.
    The dealer is going to take a look... is there anything I should know? Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks in advance for your comments!
  • Options
    cb35cb35 Member Posts: 27
    sounds like front rotors are off
  • Options
    sonnydsonnyd Member Posts: 6
    I have also noticed the same when I got my delivery for 2009 pilot> I called service dept. and they advice to bring it back. The plastic device under your seats are the air vwents. But I am surprised to see a U shape cut carpet under both seats. Did anybody have any clue what it is for and why? :surprise:
  • Options
    sonnydsonnyd Member Posts: 6
    Did anybody experience remote battrey for 2009 Pilot burns out faster than expected. I just got my Pilot EXL-RES in March. I have changed the battrey already. Any one!! :surprise:
  • Options
    I got mine last August and its doing fine so far. I had that happen with a Toyota previously though.

My problem with the remote is that the range sucks -- worst of any car I have ever owned by a factor of at least 2-3.
  • Options
    wmiller4wmiller4 Member Posts: 97
    Try holding the remote on your chin when you push the buttons. It has been my experience that this increases the range of the remote.

I know it sounds goofy but give it a try.
  • Options
    snooganssnoogans Member Posts: 3
    I have 2009 pilot and I believe this just started in ours yesterday/today. I can feel it when accelerating and it starts around 25MPH. If I accelerate it gets worse and louder. If I let off the gas at around 45-50MPH it gets louder but then goes away when going 25MPH or slower.

Other than the vibration/Humming noise the car seems fine. No warning lights at all. It doesnt happen when car is in park and I press on the accelerator.
    I thought m,aybe it was fan from AC but it happens when AC is on /off.

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know
  • Options
    krs2avrkrs2avr Member Posts: 6
    Hey, thanks for the comment. You were absolutely correct! The rotors were warped. All four were re-surfaced, etc.. and now the car drives like a dream.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Wheels nuts are to be tightened by 'torque' wrench in order to avoid the rotor warp but how many will do it without their air guns.
  • Options
    cwsdadcwsdad Member Posts: 4
    Same here! Never had this issue before
  • Options
    breena16breena16 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 Pilot EXL with dealer installed remote start to sell privately or trade in - $18,500K. Vehicle has 48K miles. Great condition. Fully maintained by dealership.

I want a 2009 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD (have to buy for around $27,500). I know this price was possible when Honda was running incentives. Any dealer incentives coming around now?? I'm so ready to buy the new Touring. Let's make a deal!
  • Options
    Not sure where you are pulling your target price from, but it doesn't appear to be grounded in reality.

The invoice on a 4WD with RES & NAV is $36,306.21 plus $670 destination. The dealer holdback on this car is around $1200, leaving you with a dealer dead-cost of $35,106.21.

I wouldn't sit around waiting for Honda to offer any incentives amounting to $7,606.21.
  • Options
    hjharrishjharris Member Posts: 9
    I want to add either side steps or running boards to my almost 1 year old 09 EX-L. Does anyone have comments good or bad? I learned it requires a Honda Rivnut tool and further learned from the Ridgeline forum about a tool I can make to do the job . Best price for the black finish side steps is $328 at hondapartsdeals.com. Running boards are $458. What are the pros and cons of the two choices?

Thanks,

HJH
  • Options
    rlevensonrlevenson Member Posts: 7
    Good question.

I have a 2009 Honda Pilot and it is my third as I had a 2003 and a 2006. I had running boards on those but not on my 2009. I think they are a complete waste of money. Even if you are short or have children, they are an unnecessary expense because they don't add significantly to getting in and out of the vehicle.

No matter what your cost, save your money.
  • Options
    shiftshift Member Posts: 10
    I have a sterling gray 09 ex and I bought the black finished and also purchased in channel rain visor from them and it looks great. My 6 and 8 year old children could easily go in and out the SUV.

I just went to a Honda dealership Sat 6-20-09 looking for an 09 Civic to replace my 92 Accord and I saw their 09 Pilots and CR-Vs with the exact looking nerf bar/ side
    bars. Cheap too. No special tools. Check for on line coupon codes and call/ask for free shipping. Do not purchase running board on this Pilot, it does not look good. Good Luck.
    www.realtruck.com

http://www.realtruck.com/steelcraft_3_side_step_nerf_bars/R141695P1C1T.html
  • Options
    nucargurlnucargurl Member Posts: 30
    I have premium running boards on my '09 Touring. I think they look great - but that's not the reason for them. I'm 5'2 and I think they ARE necessary for me. Because I'm short, I need the seat up as high as possible. The side of the seats are already high so I was sliding my bum over the edge every time I got in. Even with the running boards I have to stand on the running board to lift myself over the side of the seat. I've heard of people wearing this part of the seat down and I can tell that would happen if I didn't. The quality of the leather is questionable. I negotiated the price of the running boards when I made the purchase. However, there are great posts giving detailed instructions on installation without the special tool.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, shift. Price looks good. I'll be looking again this weekend and see if I can't find some online coupons etc.
  • Options
    So I got one reply saying that the running boards are the way to go and another saying they don't look good on the Pilot. It's time for me to go back to the dealer and see what both actually look like assuming they have a model with each in stock. I'm ok with the car as is but the wife is a bit short and we're both getting up in years so she wants a step.
    Otherwise I am very pleased with the vehicle.
  • Options
    20009p20009p Member Posts: 1
    check out on yoube the Russian test honda polit off-road vs the Volva xc90.
    Honda Pilot 2009 off-road vs Volvo XC90 Auto+ (part 2)
    ">
  • Options
    tldtld Member Posts: 37
    I agree with the quality of leather issue. We wore three holes in ours and they replaced the leather cover. As for the running board, for little kids it's great. Instead of us having to pickup the child or help them down, they step on the running board preventing some arguments they they are big enough to do it themselves. My wife is 100% for them.
  • Options
    commanderscommanders Member Posts: 7
    My wife is also short, so ordered our 04 Pilot with the tubular side steps. But they are rather narrow and sit close to the door sill, so she rarely uses them. In fact, they are somewhat of an impediment to entry/exit, as you must place your foot further out from the door sill to plant it on the ground. As a result, you can easily get dirt on pants legs about mid-calf level. Recommendation: try before you buy. As for comments on leather seat durability: our 04 just hit 90k miles. At an average speed of 45 mph, that's just over 83 continuous days of squirming in the seat, and countless entry/exits. Drivers seat looks lived in, but leather is still sound, and heater still works.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    In 90k miles -- did you feel like you needed an extended warranty for repairs you had to pay for or if you had a warranty did it pay for itself?
  • Options
    I bought the $250 tubular bars from realtruck.com recommended by "shift". Put them on this morning. The installation went well and they fit and look good, but just as suggested by "commanders" they aren't real helpful because of their position. My 5'2" wife wanted something to make it easier to get in and out but so far she's not saying good things about the new steps. She does suggest they might take some getting used to.......
  • Options
    commanderscommanders Member Posts: 7
    Did not purchase an extended warranty, and haven't needed it. That's why I bought a Honda for my wife. True, every once-in-awhile Honda builds a lemon. But history indicates that Honda's are pretty reliable. I do my own routine maintenance, and have had zero repairs. Is the Pilot perfect? No. But I value reliability and functionality over price and style. So it will probably be another Pilot for us.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Putting the money toward oil changes, radiator flushes, trans & differential service etc. is the way to go. I learned my lesson on ext. warranties.
  • Options
    donixdonix Member Posts: 16
    remote range.,.... really really sucks!!!! :mad:
  • Options
    I completely agree. I have complained about this before. It is the worst remote range of any vehicle I have ever owned. It may be my biggest gripe about the Pilot in terms of the daily impact on me. They should be ashamed to have put such a poor feature in a call in 2009 when cars in 1994 were doing better...
  • Options
    This kind of Honda`s remote transmitter is a garbage. Honda should be aware of this!!!
  • Options
    I agree, this is easily the worst range on a remote I've ever seen. Another complaint is that it seems that I have to press and hold the button very hard even when close to the vehicle. My other cars require just a very quick tap. I find myself thinking I've locked the car when in fact I have not quite frequently.
  • Options
    the chin technique works! sounds weird but it`s true! it works even 200 meters or more!!
  • Options
    tommatetommate Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I just bought the cargo cover for my 2010 Touring and I also noticed the same thing. Especially, the right side seat belt pushes against the cover when it is being used. I think it is just poor design on Honda's part.
  • Options
    I have an 09 Pilot Touring and the automatic re-locking power locks drive me crazy. I've had cars that lock automatically before (when started, when shifted out of park, when reaching greater than specific MPH), but most cars with this feature auto un-lock when turned off or when the driver door is opened. I can't tell you how many times I go to open a back door or rear hatch only to realize that they are locked.

Is there any way to turn this off? It's not my primary vehicle, and as much as I've tried, I just can't get used to it because my primary car unlocks automatically.
  • Options
    This is a user controllable option. In fact, the Pilot Touring even lets you set different options per each of the two memory/user unique key fobs. I haven't messed with it in a long time and don't have the manual handy -- I know you can change it using that little computer screen that is just below the speedometer and the buttons on the steering wheels. There are at least half a dozen other settings like this too.
  • Options
    The chin techniques minorly extends the range for me, but not even remotely in the ballpark you are listing. Even with it, it still has the worst range of any keyless entry I have used ever.
  • Options
    mclaughlin25mclaughlin25 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a preowned 2009 Honda Pilot with 17,000 miles on it. Within 2 days of purchase, the screen at the top of the center console started flashing intermittently, typically when the temp is below freezing. There is also a clicking sound that sometimes accompanies the flashing. Also, the headlights will randomly flash brighter, and the headlight indicator light will blink on and off. The dealership is telling us everything is "normal" and that all Pilot's have this issue, which I find hard to believe. It seems like an electrical issue to me - has anyone else experienced this?
  • Options
    My neighbor and I both have 09 Pilot Touring and neither one of us have anything like this with our vehicles. The dealer is full of it, push harder.
  • Options
    eduardo613eduardo613 Member Posts: 12
    I have the 2009 pilot... Never an issue... :mad: I would love to know which dealer this is. A Honda dealer? :confuse:
  • Options
    zorcereszorceres Member Posts: 23
    2009 Touring owner here: My rear wiper blade has not fall off but it is not cleaning at all. The blade is good (event the dealer agrees with this), the wiper does not appear to touch the glass anymore :confuse: I really do not know which one is worst, having if fall off or there and "working" but not touching the glass :(

Also, I was told I can not replace the whole wiper (none of them), that only the plastic black part (however that is called, is this the blade? pardon my ignorance on car terms....) can be replaced and must be "cut to order" on all wipers. Usually I would get the whole thing (what I thought was the blade but, you know, they sell those in various sizes in any autopart/walmart/etc.) and change it but that can't be done with this car? Anyone knows? I am confused.... It is 50 in the dealer for all 3. My previous SUV was probably half that on all 3 :(

I just drop it off for different warranty work and the dealer says they will check out what is wrong with the wiper. I follow the instructions when I go to a car wash. I'll post again when I get more information... crossing my fingers they will fix and cover it!
  • Options
    zorcereszorceres Member Posts: 23
    They fixed the rear blade, they had to adjust it (whatever that means and what caused it is still unknown) as part of warranty work. They said we are not the only ones with rear wiper issues... at least we are not alone :blush: