Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Pilot

Comments

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    be nice if they move the shifter handle from the steering column to the console...I just have a thing for auto trans but with the shifter on the floor/console...I believe Pathfinder and 4Runner have theirs on the floor...
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I used to dislike shifters on the steering column. But now that I am used to it, I actually like the extra space in the center console.
  • ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    I agree with you to have the Pilot shifter moved to the console, perhaps like the new CR-V, since with the current Pilot shifter design it runs into my right knee when it's shifted into 1st or 2nd gear (when there is snow or ice on the ground or going off-road), which is very uncomfortable to say the least.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I am in the market to replace my '01 Odyssey.
    So far, Mazda CX-9 is my best candidate.
    I am willing to give Honda Pilot a chance. So, I did research and I am willing to
    wait for it to come out then decide between CX-9 and '09 Pilot.
    Here is what I have found to share with you guys who are curious.
    Keep in mind that Honda has always been doing a great jobs in keeping
    secrets. Traditionally, it has been very hard to preview a new model until Honda
    decided to show it to you in autoshow.

- Honda very likely will show the '09 Pilot in Detriot Autoshow (Jan 19-27, 2008)
    - The likely release/on-sale date is May, 2008. (vehicles made after March can
    qualify as the next year model by Fed's rules)
    - The Honda Alabama factory is now closed for "special projects". Very likely, in
    preparation for retooling of the new Pilot. (Alabama factory made the current Pilot and Odyssey)
    - For spy-shots,
    p://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=703232
    - engine: 3.7L/3.8L variant of current SOHC (regular unlead) with 260-270hp.
    3.0L Diesel will come in 2010/2011 (rumor to be 30~35mpg)
    - length: close to 200in (like CX-9 and GM trios) (current Pilot is 190in as is new Highlander) A future Accord-derived new Crossover will slot in size between the CR-V and Pilot.

All those are rumors and speculations. Please take them as what they are worth.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    "A future Accord-derived new Crossover will slot in size between the CR-V and Pilot."

Probably going to be the Accord Tourer Wagon (the one from "The Cog" commercial) from over in Europe to compete against the Freestyle (Taurus X).

I have heard the new '09 Pilot will be getting the Accord / Ody grille design for the front end.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Here's the latest: 2009 Pilot "Concept"
  • lonedoglonedog Member Posts: 6
    I like the looks of the 2009 prototype. My daughter has a 03 pilot that has given her great service. I would like to buy the 2009 version when it comes out in May but I am concerned about it's 4wd system. I have taken my daughters 03 with the VTM systen off road and it is barely adequate. Also too much of the under carriage is hanging down where it will sustain damage if you get high centered. Does anyone know what the new 4wd sustem will be like? Will it include a low range? What about ground clearance? I would like to own one if it has adequate off road ability.
    Don't hold your breath re: increased offroad capability, there's no hint of that in the press release.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    The Pilot is an On road vehicle. The only way ground clearance will move is down.
    Don't expect the SH-AWD from Acura to be propagated to Honda any time soon.
    Acura want SH-AWD to be exclusively for Acura, not sharing with Honda.
    Honda vehicles will have to live with VTM-4 (or its improved version).
    I don't know of any CUV has low-range or great off-road capability (and skid-plates, etc.). It is unlikely that the new Pilot will have those. It is AWD, not 4WD.
    I believe there is a market for large CUVs with sliding doors.
    To me, that would be a deciding factor (say, between Mazda CX-9 and Honda Pilot).
    The reasons are:
    - the distance between C-pillar and D-pillar is now as long as that of minivan. There is enough space for door rail under 3rd row window.
    - sliding door (powered) is the best feature on minivan. The rear doors are usually opened by children. With sliding doors, there is less chance that the doors will "ding" the vehicles next to yours.
    - to make access to 3rd row easier, the rear doors are getting larger and larger. I found the rear doors (such as those of CX-9) to be quite long. When opened by kids, accidents are bound to happen.

What do you folks think? Good idea? or dumb one? :confuse:
    Personally, I would consider it a great differentiator in a competitive CUV market. Remember the 1st minivan that came out with the 2nd sliding door? A winner.
  • lonedoglonedog Member Posts: 6
    The VW toureag cuv has fantastic off road ability and includes 4 low along with many off road assets. Problem is it is too expensive and has a horrible reliability record hence my interest in the pilot. The ridgeline has the same VTM4 system as the pilot but is geared lower and has adequate ground clearance. Maybe the 2009 pilot will have the same gearing and ground clearance as the ridgeline.
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    Thank you ceric! I have been thinking about this for a while, why not offer sliding doors on bigger family type vehicles such as the suv/cuv?, it simply make sense....I think manufacturers must have thought about this but never implemented it because they were worried that the "minivan stigma" would then infiltrate itself into these other types of vehicles even though technically they would be able to still look the same. I guess perception is reality....if it has sliding doors then it is a minivan, the auto open feature is just nice.

Can't wait to see this Pilot.

B.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I agree - I love the sliders on my minivan and they are more practical than gull wings or this effort at disappearing doors.

The big downer about minivans for my use is the lack of ground clearance. I don't care about the 4WD/AWD option but a 2WD CUV with sliders would grab my attention since I could take it camping and have fewer worries about dinging the oil pan on some of the forest service roads we take.
    "HONDA MOTOR American, Honda's American subsidiary in the United States announced the exhibit of pilot prototype in Detroit's "2008 North American International Auto Show".

The pilot prototype, a bold and traditional SUV, will adopt the ACE structure and show the direction of next model. The new pilot will have advanced safety package, better fuel economy and will make significant evolution in ease of use.

..."

link:
    http://response.jp/issue/2007/1213/article103195_1.html

-ACE: as expected. All newer Honda models adopted ACE structure design. Crash test result should be top-notch
    -Better fuel economy: nice...
    -Better ease of use: why not?
    Is that from an actual honda Press release becuase the current one I see is so vague does not mention any of those things...or is this an interpretation of what we should expect?

B.
    No. response.jp is a Japanese automobile news website.
    Usually they have more inside information thru talking to Honda insiders.
    If you compare the pre-release photo of MDX vs the eventual photo of MDX, you will see that the drawings released by Honda are usually very accurate.
    In my opinion, nothing said in the news article exceeded my expectation. Expect a detuned 3.7L V6 from MDX in the new Pilot (so that it runs on 87 pctane).
    This has been confirmed in Honda's CEO's annual speech.
    "The prototype of the all-new Pilot will be introduced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January 2008."
    Can't wait for end of January to come.
  • u045777u045777 Member Posts: 33
    "Can't wait for end of January to come."
    Those of us that have big credit card bills could wait till January and then some ;)
  • cohengmcohengm Member Posts: 6
    I currently own a Pilot and just test drove a CX-9. I transport my young grandchildren in the Pilot and even though the CX-9 provided a good driving experience, the car had two show-stoppers. The Honda has a great deal of storage room, very easily accessible, between the two front seats. When you're taking the kids through the fast-food drive-in, this space is invaluable. But the real show-stopper was the rear entertainment system. When your kids are strapped in and their DvD is over, or they're simply bored with the current selection, Honda's dashboard mounted DvD changer is what you need. A roof mounted DvD changer like the one in the CX-9 is almost worthless - a show-stopper in my grandfatherly opinion. One more point. I know the Pilot does not have memory seats, but as I recall the location of the CX-9's memory seat controls were not on the door, but on the seat near the floor, a location I've never seen before.
  • piloti_stipiloti_sti Member Posts: 62
    After coming very close to picking up an '08 in the last few days I am going to go ahead and wait for the '09. There are amazing deals to be had on the '08's but I am hoping for and expecting a major improvement in the '09. I know I will pay more but the new styling should be worth it alone much less all the other improvements. Will be looking out when the concept debuts.
  • firefighter75firefighter75 Member Posts: 9
    I came close to purchasing a 2008 CRV (have a 2004 now), but because of my job I need a larger truck. The current Pilot just does not do it for me so I hopfully the wait for the 2009 will be worth it and not too long.
    If I may, what about the current Pilot did you find negative?
    Thanks...
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    Does anyone know if the Pilot DVD entertainment system will allow the DVD to play through the front Navigation screen if the vehicle is in Park and the parking brake engaged?
  • firefighter75firefighter75 Member Posts: 9
    I think it was knowing a fresh new design was on it's way in a few months and since I may have the truck for several years I want the newest.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    No. it will not. While it may be illegal in some states, there are some after market devices that will let you do that.
    Interesting question, but would you really want it to? If the car is not running, the DvD player can really "suck" at the battery. I've tried it with my Pilot, like when my wife is in the car with the kids and I have to get something in the store, etc. I think it really puts a drain on the battery. And even if the car is running, is it really worth it? Do other cars offer that "option"?
    I just assumed that since the DVD is loaded in the front, and it plays on the rear screen, what if there are several options to choose, how can you see them from the drivers seat?

If we have a 4 year old strapped in the back and she wants to see episode 4 of backyardigans, does that mean I have to get out of the front seat and go to the back and use the remote control to move the cusor to the correct episode start icon?

It would be so much nicer (and safer not to get out) to just stop the vehicle, (park engaged) and sit in the drivers seat and make custom selections

thanks
    Oh, yes, the new Toyota Highlander can do that, play the DVD on the front screen while in park.

The big negative is the DVD is loaded into the rear overhead unit. On a long road trip, it would require getting out and swapping disks.
    Does the current Pilot have a timing chain or timing belt?
    What do people expect to see on the new Pilot?
    I hope it has a timing chain
  • aschmidtaschmidt Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if the '09 Pilot will have an option for memory seats? I am 5'3" and my husband is 6'5"... We really like the Pilot, but not having memory seats is almost a deal-breaker for us.
  • stgollingstgolling Member Posts: 5
    You cannot order a Pilot EX-L RES (dvd) and NAV at same time. You either have one or the other. Curious that one vehicle will not possess both features.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    It will have what the MDX has. It likely will be the same engine.
    According to the Honda web site, the "build your 2008 Pilot" allows one to select DVD i-VES
    According to the 2008 Honda, build your Pilot feature, it allows the option of adding a DVD i-VES system to a 4WD EX-L with Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™
  • ggombosggombos Member Posts: 18
    I hope the new Pilot has memory seats as an option as well. I use this feature every weekend when I drive our current vehicle (01 Pathfinder) and it sure is nice. It seems quite a few newer vehicles in this class have it but Toyota omitted it from their newly redesigned 08 Highlander so it makes you wonder what Honda is going to do. Power folding mirrors to make getting in/out of the garage easier would be nice as well!
    I have found that memory seats is one of those options that they (Honda) use to distinguish between their Acura line and the Honda line-up. Years ago I bought the Acura CL over the the Honda coupe, with one of the reasons being the standard memory seats. My "gut feeling" is that we'll see a slightly redesigned Pilot, with the big "catch" being an available Hybrid. One of the big gripes about the Pilot is it's generous fuel consumption and also it's main competitor, the Highlander offers a hybrid. I have no particular feelings about moving the on-column shifter. Having and currently transporting 5 grandsons, ages 1 to 9, I find the space between the front seats invaluable. Having my AWD SUV perform like my Acura coupe is not a realistic goal. The Pilot is one of the most practical, usable vehicles I have ever owned and I hope that Honda doesn't concede any of the practical aspects for looks and performance.
    What does that mean, timing belt or a chain?!!!
    we'll see a slightly redesigned Pilot, with the big "catch" being an available Hybrid.

Given Honda's push to diesels, I expect a diesel Pilot, but no hybrid.
    It means, does the Pilot engine have a timing belt or a timing chain?
    Maybe I am missing something. What is your response to the question? Do you know whether Pilot has chain or uses belt?
  • agt2046agt2046 Member Posts: 16
    since the engine in acura mdx uses belt, I expect the new pilot's engine will do the same.
    Oooohhh, that's going to be a negative factor.
    Timing chains usually last over 150,000 miles before servicing. Belts get replaced at 90,000 miles.
    The CRV has a timing chain. The only major servicing needed is spark plugs.
    The other stuff like filters, fluids etc are routine
  • flemo123flemo123 Member Posts: 20
    Personally I'm not too worried about the 90K service when I buy a new car and in any event on any car I've owned that needed a timing belt change it was a routine relatively cheap maintenance requirement.

As far as the new Pilot. I think horsepower will be 270+ but could go all the way to match the MDX output of 300hp. The pre-'07 MDX and Pilot had the same output for a number of years so it doesn't seem like Honda are interested in using power as the main differentiator in the brands.

I think we can get a fairly good indication of other specs based on recent Honda releases like the Accord and direct competition in the Highlander. (Although Toyota seem to have chosen a very safe, and in my opinion bland design for the new Highlander) The Highlander can come with almost any option you would need with a few exceptions. However, fully loaded its MSRP is over $41K which takes it into MDX country. I'm not sure Honda will want to take the pilot quite that high, but I expect a loaded example to be close to $40K.
    Although Toyota seem to have chosen a very safe, and in my opinion bland design for the new Highlander

Too true, I was prepared to buy a new Highlander, but the bland looks have me waiting to see the new Pilot.
    I'm hopeful that Honda will be at least a little more radical in the Pilot redesign. The Highlander looks like a bigger version of the equally boring Rav4, once the fun SUV in the Toyota stable.

The artist rendition on the Honda web-site promises a pretty cool looking SUV. If the production version looks like that it should be a seller. I own an '05 Pilot and although a great car I've always felt the styling was way too conservative. '06 model was a modest improvement. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

On the new Pilot expect to see factory installed, Nav and Entertainment combination, XM Satellite and AUX input for sound system, (at last). Power tailgate on one of the specs. Bluetooth only with the Nav package. Heat will be dual (maybe 3) zone.

Sorry no HID lamps and no premium hi-fi option.

The back window still won't open independently from the tailgate.

No hybrid option, already dumped on the Accord on not available on the MDX.

Diesel could come later but not for a couple of years at least.

I think backup sensors (and/or camera), tow package and wood will remain dealer installed options.

Hopefully some wheel and tire upgrade options.

Improved AWD system, possibly the SH-AWD tuned differently and with a new name.

Shift stick could move from the wheel to the dashboard, easier to use but keeping the storage space between the seats.

THIS IS ALL AN EDUCATED GUESS. NO INSIDE KNOWLEDGE.
    And no memory seats.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Does anyone know if the DAS is going to be televised? Supposedly they are going to unveil the 2009 Pilot (prototype).
    Hello,
    it will be televised the question is how long will it take to be televised. I woudl suggest heading ver the vtec.net Sunday afternoon, they are really fast with getting video up as well as of course here are edmunds.