Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Pilot

Comments

• rico3201rico3201 Member Posts: 6
    While no one actually asked, here are my thoughts.

I’m in the market for a new Pilot, and will likely get the 2009 version. We have a 2005 Odyssey and I have always had great luck with Honda.

The exterior appearance of the car really doesn’t bother me, one way or the other. I think “good looking” and “SUV” don’t go together to begin with.

When I first drew cars in grade school, I’d draw boxes with round wheels. Around fourth or fifth grade like most little boys I drew swoopy sports cars. THAT definition of “good looking car” has stayed with me all this time (and I’m in my fifties now) and is usually applied to sports cars, coupes and some sedans. Not to SUV’s, vans or trucks. To me, those are utility vehicles.

Which is what I’m in the market for at the moment. I need to occasionally move some bulky items, and often need to move my daughter and her friends around, and my BMW 325 (while a dream car) has turned out to be impractical. Our Odyssey is perfect for this, but it is not convenient to switch cars with my wife all the time.

The boxy design of the new Pilot protects valuable headroom and storage possibilities, and those are important to me at the moment. The curvy, egg-like styling of newer SUV’s and crossovers are appealing visually to me, but they come at a cost to the items I mentioned. And not a one of them are as pretty as a great looking sports car or sports coupe, so if you’re headed down that road…

I’ve been curious about the inside of the new Pilot, and curious if it is as practical and useful as my in-laws’ recent model Pilots. For me, it is 2008 versus 2009 based on criteria other than exterior looks.

That said I’m not immune to That-car-is-too-ugly-to-look-at-much-else-own. The Pontiac Aztec… the old AMC Gremlin… are two examples of cars I’d have to get into with my eyes closed. So there is that.
  • zoeyjrtzoeyjrt Member Posts: 6
    I realize I'm in the minority but I feel the current Pilot is bland and boring. I've always felt it was a disappointing design but with Honda's reliability, people will put up with it. . And I think Honda did a great job styling the 09....it's a strong looking package. I wonder how many Pilot owners are vested in their current look and that's what's causing all the new Pilot design backlash.
  • mikejaxmikejax Member Posts: 3
    Good Morning. Being new to do 09 Pilot discussion, is there any insight into the new vehicle size and weight and engine platfrom on the 09 pilot redesign? Curious if there are any people in the know who have an idea regarding projected piles per gallon, Pilot Pricing and 3rd Row seating. I have several kids and a Suburban would be ideal, but I'm tired of the endless stream of problems on my 01 GMC Yukon. ( Antilock brake failures x 2, rear window falling off, steering column issues , poor hardware, seat belt problems etc...) Will this SUV get over 20 + MPG's and can it accomodate kids in the 3rd row. Love to have a reliable SUV-never owned a Honda- have 250 k miles on my 02 Sequoia...very few problems. When is accurate release date?
  • carslycarsly Member Posts: 32
    Perhaps there is some vested population. But there are others, like myself, who do not have a Pilot and are in the market (I am coming out of a BMW X3) and deciding between a 2008 or 2009.

One interesting data point is that I was at the NY Auto Show last Friday and there was only 1 other person looking at the 2009 Pilot prototype (he has a 2005 currently). Meanwhile, I saw people taking pictures in the Odyssey (why, I have no idea) and mobbed around the Accord and Civic. Honda didn't even have the 2008 on the main floor, it was downstairs in the 'trucks' section all the way at the back of the exhibit hall tucked away in a corner. I spent about the same amount of time with the 2008 as I did the 2009 (~ ten minutes) and even though the 2008 was well off the beaten path a dozen other people (I'd estimate 75% serious buyers from the conversations I overheard) not only came over to look at it but sat in all the seats, checked out the dash, trunk, etc.

I'd also like to amend one comment I made previously, the 2003-2008 model is very much Jeep Grand Cherokee down to the rear window slope, fender flares, door pillars, and the 2009 is more Ford Explorer.
  • dacc0917dacc0917 Member Posts: 21
    Yes but you can't compare based on people sitting in the vehicle since you weren't allowed in the 09. Its hard to gauge the interest since you couldn't go beond the velvet rope of the 09. I sat in the 08 and have no interest in it, I was just trying to get a feel for how the 09 might be different inside.
  • tmarinertmariner Member Posts: 10
    Current Accord owner -- was waiting for the Pilot but no more.

I leased an Acura MDX base. I figured that the Pilot will be going for list price for the first year and there were deals on the MDX. The MDX base is insanely better than the Pilot EX, except for a built-in Nav. I like the older variety of Pilot,and the incentives make purchase of a quality vehicle attractive, but with a new version about ready to be born and it being related to the MDX platform the Acura won my vote. It is incredible -- If the Pilot is half the car the MDX is, it is going to be the SUV to beat in the class!

I wanted to see what the Pilot at least looked like before I made up my mind, but Honda has the lid screwed down so tight that you and I will not know until the cars are in the showroom in quantities and the sales folks are ready to take orders for immediate delivery.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    "Honda has the lid screwed down so tight that you and I will not know until the cars are in the showroom "

Previously someone here mentioned a news embargo until April 15. Is that correct? Anyone hear anything lately?
    Honda had promised to introduce the production version at the NY International Auto Show, which obviously did not happen. Had they done that the April 15th embargo would have been reasonable but I wouldn't be surprised if they push it back another 2-4 weeks.

If you look at the upcoming schedule for MotorWeek they were scheduled to do a road test of the 2009 Honda Pilot for their April 25th episode. I don't know if this is still the case.
    http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:0cEnhnRBUoEJ:essentials.baltimoresun.com/sp- lash/motorweek/+%22new+york+international+auto+show%22,+%222009+honda+pilot%22&h- l=en&ct=clnk&cd=21&gl=us&client=firefox-a

My guess, and it is just that, is that they need to clear out some more 2008 Pilot inventory and so are holding off on a formal introduction of the 2009's. If they introduce the 2009 model before clearing out most of the 2008's they will take a bath as the discounts will need to go up. As a result they have been playing steady with $3,500 under invoice on most 2008 Pilots since early Feb (perhaps earlier but I wasn't tracking) with occasional 2.9%/3.9% regional APR offers to keep inventory flowing out. As people are now reporting some regional firmness in pricing on certain trims I would guess that inventory is getting regionally tight on some lines so a May / June intro still looks likely.

Honda has been sticking with a Spring launch for a while so now the only question is early / mid / late Spring.
    It now looks like the road test review on motorweek is scheduled for the week of May 2nd, so a one week delay. Assuming the road test they are citing is actually for a 2009 and not a 2008 (which wouldn't make much sense).

http://www.pbs.org/mpt/motorweek/upcomingshows.shtml
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    It is repeat season. It may very well be the 2008 model.
    Except these are all new episodes for this season. I doubt Motorweek would be so ignorant as to review the 2008 model days / weeks before the 2009 model launches. I would bet they listed it as a 2008 so as not to pre-announce the 2009 for Honda in case anyone (like me) looked at their episode schedule. It also keeps the 2009 out of Google searches, except for the older version that I digged up from Google's cache.
  • mikejaxmikejax Member Posts: 3
    Was in a local Honda Dealership today and ALL the dealers will get a teat drive starting on the West Coast in/ around April 20th and work their way east to Atlanta in mid MAY. Dealer first models will probably follow in early June 08 for dealer sales. Prices were projected to be $600 above current model MSRP prices.
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    There are many 2007-2008 Honda Pilot owners complaining a lot about vibrations in the car. Some blame it to the 6-3 VCM, other to the suspensions and even the disc brakes, etc.

So the previous Pilot was not a complete satisfaction for owners or a bad luck for some owners. I expect to buy a 2009 Pilot but I don't know if Honda has addressed all these vibrations of the previous one on this 2009 version.

Does someone know about some price projections for this 2009 Pilot model from the simple to the full loaded?
  • vibovibo Member Posts: 9
    I have owned a 2006 Pilot EX 4wd for 2 years now with 22,000 miles. I have not noticed any vibration at any speed. Perhaps that is because the VCM does not exist on the 4wd models. Consider a 4wd instead of 2wd.

We have really enjoyed the Pilot. Our previous vehicle was a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer.

The Pilot's engine is smooth and quiet, but there is a bit more road noise than our Trailblazer. In comparison, the Trailblazer's engine was loud, unrefined and thirsty.

I have had zero mechanical problems with the Pilot. Really, quite impressive to me. I have owned Toyotas and other reliable makes.

So batman47, when you go to purchase your 2009 take an extensive test drive at all speeds. I did not drive mine at freeway speed to experience the road noise, but I still would have purchased the Pilot, because it is very smooth and stable at high speeds, very safe (it has a very low accident death rate), and still fuel efficient for an SUV.
    Many thanks!

The point put forward about the AWD/4WD seems to be a plausible reason for the ghost vibrations in 2007-2008 Pilots. Your comments are very reassuring.
  • quickreplyquickreply Member Posts: 43
    Jalponik has a link to some Car and Driver photos of the new 2009 Pilot at a Marriott in Detrioit.
    HELP! Someone please explain the cross-eyed headlights and overdone grille. I just don't get it...
  • carabelcarabel Member Posts: 43
    Neither do I - the grill looks like a smiley face - are these pix's for real !. Honda better have other grill options for those interested in Pilots. First impression - it's not MEAN looking - it's corny !
  • quickreplyquickreply Member Posts: 43
    Couple more from Jalponik...interior shots as well.

http://jalopnik.com/378024/2009-honda-pilot
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    So, the grill is what - too Hummeresque? I don't mind the slab sides but the wheel well bump-outs don't appeal to my eye too much. Otherwise it seems perfectly .... serviceable.

I like the holder for my baseball cap on the dash.

Is someone keeping score about just what's wrong with the new restyle?
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Is someone keeping score about just what's wrong with the new restyle?

I'll hold final judgement till I see it in person. Till then, here's my thoughts:

1. The new exterior screams "cheap" to me, rather than "tough."

Look at the rear wiper, how it's just sort of stuck on to the tailgate. Compare it to the Highlander, which has the rear wiper mounted on the window itself, making it blend in. The handle below the Pilot's license plate also looks like it was just stuck on there as an after-thought.

2. The interior is better, but still has a low-rent look. Hopefully the materials feel better than they look (opposite of the Highlander, which has great, expensive looking plastic that's actually hard to the touch).

For example, look at all the drab-looking plastic to the left of the steering wheel, the round air conditioning vents, the white-faced gauges, the open area for clutter above the glove compartment, etc. The center stack also has way too many buttons, though I'm sure it's a snap once you're familiar with the important ones.

On the plus side, I guess, Honda is still providing bodyside molding, something that Toyota seems to be allergic to with all its new models.
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    Do you see the handle on the rear glass? It looks like the glass may open separately, which would explain why the wiper has to be mounted to the tailgate.

One can only hope. :D
    I hate the tailgate mounted wipers, looks so cheap. Why, Honda why?
    Yep, must be an openable rear window, you can also see the black dots where the hinges attach at the top.
    My score for the '09:
    Major beef - reduced visibility, all side windows are smaller, not sure about back
    Moderate beef - odd-looking front, between the slanting headlights and overdone grille.
    No problem - interior, but I'll need a better look
  • jim39tjim39t Member Posts: 11
    Here are 16 photos at Autoblog:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/spy-shots-2009-honda-pilot/743434/

Overall, I like the look and hope it test-drives well. Behind the C pillar it looks like a Lincoln Navigator, but I won't hold that against it. Wonder if they'll offer the blue leather?
    Thanks for the link. The front is very similar to the Jeep Patriot where the fenders meet the headlights. Not horrible, but not a 'great design' to copy.

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Looks like Honda bench marked the Ford F-150 for their interior design.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I am sure the competitors at Hyundai (Veracuz), Mazda (CX-9) and Toyota (Highlander), and GM (Trios) are all celebrating now.
    The concept Pilot at least has very cool headlights. The production one has cheap ones that look "blind".
    Yes, I think the hatch glass can be opened separately, but I hated that on my
    Mercury Villager. The wiper on hatch resting on a plastic stop always fail after a few years. It has been a very common problem on Quest and Villager. Ask anyone who ever owned one.
    After all, I think Pilot is an utility-oriented CUV. People will buy it for function over look and sportiness. For the latter, Mazda CX-9 is the winner. The rest are positioned somewhere in between.
  • semantic2semantic2 Member Posts: 28
    I don't know what competitors are celebrating about. i like it. but then i'm not into curved egg shaped looking vehicles. functionally from the pics it looks decent enough. only complaints are probably the front lights differ from the prototype or the sketch. not really into body side molds either. but i like that the hitch is hidden within the body similar to some other suvs and the backup sensors are still on there. also by the looks of the pics turn signal lights are on the mirrors. different from the acura mdx but still pleasing. not sure why they didn't add it to the ody. as for the rear windshield wiper. at least it is easier to change instead of those dreadful 12" or 13" that you can't buy at the store but only at the dealer. but at least now I have a better idea of what will be in my drive way come june. :)
    Yes, the competitors are celebrating, however, when Honda sells 150,000 a year, they will be quite. Regardless of how ugly and cheap it looks, people will still flock to it and buy it because it has an "H" on the grille
  • rexfrexf Member Posts: 20
    I note at least two trim levels (in one shot you can see a vehicle in the moving van in the background that has stamped steel wheels, suggesting possibly three trim levels): The vehicles with the five-spoke wheels do not have the upper-level turn signals on the outside edge of the rear-view mirrors and do not have the 'chrome' strip on the bodyside moldings. The one I can see that has the six-spoke wheels also has a 'Touring' badge on the lower right of the rear lift gate and has backup monitoring sensors on the rear bumper. Note also that the interior shots show a single front center armrest, like the current model, but unlike the split armrest design on the Detroit show 'prototype.' Also, the steering wheel has more controls than the current model. Although the headlights and front grill decoration are not very snazzy, I think Honda has done a good job carrying over its emphasis on Utility in SUV architecture.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I also noticed front sensors on one model - probably parking sensors.

Knowing Honda it'll be:

LX
    EX
    EX-L
    EX-L Res or Navi
    EX-L Touring
  • kenmarckenmarc Member Posts: 16
    "Looks like Honda bench marked the Ford F-150 for their interior design."

Please don't insult my F150 like that! ;)
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Do you see the handle on the rear glass? It looks like the glass may open separately, which would explain why the wiper has to be mounted to the tailgate.

Good point. However, the '08 Highlander's rear glass also lifts separately from the tailgate and Toyota was able to stick the wiper completely on the glass.

Looking at the larger photos available on one of the websites, the look is starting to grow on me. I still don't like the front end and the rear reminds me of an '08 Caravan.

For me, there's just nothing that really makes the Pilot stand out at this point, other than it being a Honda. I'm sure it'll still sell well and make a lot of folks happy. :)
  • cheshire1cheshire1 Member Posts: 16
    > Don't get me started...First of all, both vehicles are only a Honda.
    > I could undertand if it were a Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc...
    > where I can understand as coming across being boastful.

My apologies. Didn't mean it as a "boast" - more in terms of practicality: not all families can own 2 large vehicles, and hence be able to swap between them. For me, it is one or the other. What percentage of 2 vehicle families now have both from the mid/large SUV and minivan range? That's all I was saying.

I totally agree. We have two cars, a 4 cylinder for work commutes, and the 08 pilot for hauling kids around. We wanted a relatively small vehicle with a 3rd row so that when we take the kids' friends to Girl Scouts or something, we can do it. Arguably, the Odyssey would have made sense, but I'm glad that the auto companies are making crossover SUVs with 3rd rows.
    Please don't insult my F150 like that!

Funny thing is, the F-150 interior is much more ergonomic, and stylish! My apologies!
  • zack82zack82 Member Posts: 42
    I think they are more afraid. Have you seen any real SUV's lately? Test drove the Highlander, felt like a big station wagon minus the woodgrain panel. All of those crossover SUV's look like mini-van's. Seqoua is a nice, nice SUV, but who has $45-50k to pick one up.

Trust me, the Pilot will see like crazy...I can't wait to get mine and replace my 05 Pilot.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    I think the other poster was right. From the hinges on top of the glass it looks like the glass opens up separately, which is great in that respect.
    "...Ask anyone who ever owned one..."

I used to have a Nissan Quest GXE with the wiper and never had any problem with that part (transmission, yes!), In either case, I think that would be a minor issue for anyone looking for a SUV.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I still have a '99 GXE and the rear hatch doesn't open on mine. I always thought that an opening hatch window would be a nice feature but I'm really not sure if I've missed anything. Maybe a few head bumps. :shades:
    Mine was a 1995 and I thought the hatch was handy for quick drop of bags, etc. in the back. They must have changed the design to not let the '99 not open. But your are right, I did get a few of those head bumps! :)
  • gleen6191gleen6191 Member Posts: 80
    its FUGLY!
    I hope that after this date we do not need to guess any more about the beauties/ugliness of the 2009 Pilot. The comments and reviews will be for real. I hope to hear a lot so I could make a decision.

I wonder if I could unscrew the ‘H’ combination front badge, because it look just great without it.
    Mine and my co-worker's Villagers had the rear wiper stop broken.
    By searching your local craiglist.org, and you will see many Villagers and Quests have the same issue. We are talking about a 10+ year old Villagers and Quests here. Apparently, not all have that problem.
    See one here:
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/638709063.html
    (the picture at the top-right)
    It's a 1997 Villager (twin-brother of Nissan Quest)
    Keep looking, and you will see more.
    Of course, its a $200 repair, but a bad design, nontheless.
    All of those crossover SUV's look like mini-van's.

I could not disagree more. CUV's look nothing like mini vans, that is why they sell so well, and mini van sales are on the decline. Outside of the interior room advantage mini vans have, people just don't desire them as much as they once did.

The Pilot is a CUV trying to look like an SUV. However, I really don't see what it has that every other CUV out there does not have. Honda has had a few years to better their product, and from the looks of it, it does not look like it made many visual improvements. However, to be fair, I will reserve my final judgment until I drive one.
  • zack82zack82 Member Posts: 42
    The reason why Honda didn't do a CUV is because the market is clearly flooded with them. I still think they look like mini van's and drive like a car. Honda has the CRV, it has transcended into a small CUV imo. So, Honda chose not to release a bigger version and stuck with the Pilot. I guarantee that the reviews will be very good on this vehicle. If you didn't get a chance to see the prototype at an Auto Show, I think that your overall opinion will change.

I admit, that when I first saw the prototype, I wasn't crazy about it. But when I went to the Detroit Auto Show, I was really impressed with it in person. I can't wait to drive it. Unfortunately, the demand for this vehicle is going to be huge and Honda ever makes enough of a new model to go around.
    I have watched the video in which the product planner of Pilot talked about the selling points (or positioning) of the new Pilot are
    - utility (space, towing capacity)
    - MPG (6-4-3 VCM)

If those are what you need, I am sure the new Pilot will make you happy. Honda has never been strong on styling (saved S2000, and NSX).

Competitors are strong in the 3-row seat mid-sized CUV segment.
    GM Trio (+ Chevy Trasverse)
    Hyundai Veracruz
    Toyota Highlander
    Mazda CX-9

We all know that Ridgeline is not selling well. We shall see if a Ridgeline-styled Pilot will sell as well as the out-going model.