Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Pilot

Comments

• bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Did you test-drive the Saturn Outlook? I don't know how it drives but good looking and spacious 3rd row seat/truck space.
  • tmock13tmock13 Member Posts: 38
    2008 MSRP ($4 per gallon gas)

After the hoopla is over for this new redesign, a look into the near future

2009 $1000 over invoice ($4.75 per gallon gas)
    2010 $1000 under invoice ($5 per gallon gas)
    2011 A $2500 dealer incentive being given under invoice($5.50 per gallon gas)
    2012 A $3500 dealer incentive being given under invoice ($6.00 per gallon gas)
    2013 HONDA Pilot Hybrid debuts.......
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    > Also, I like that it doesn't have huge blind spots when backing up like, for example, CRX-9 does.

With Blind Spot monitoring system on my CX-9 and backup camera, I can see my blind spot clearer than any vehicle. I disagree with your comments on CX-9. But, congrats on your purchase of '09 Pilot.
  • zorcereszorceres Member Posts: 23
    We did and didn't like it as much since it felt a lot like a car and not an SUV... lol... We've also had a few friends with Saturns and they didn't tend to last as long as we wanted this car to last; maybe they were unlucky or didn't treat their cars "nice"... but most of them have replaced them for Hondas so we took a clue from that...
    Call me old fashioned but I still physically look to backup... LOL... Even though I have a camera I just use it to make sure there is no one behind the car but still "turn around", use mirrors, etc. to backup :D

The CX was not the only one we felt had this. For us must "rounded/aerodynamic SUVs" "suffer from this, that is why I prefer the "squared" ones (I know the marked will probably move towards the CX design more but I keep hoping at least one will stay the way I like them). I just used the CX as the example... no offense to people that love the car, it was a really fun car to drive :)
  • nikbertnikbert Member Posts: 20
    I agree too. I really liked the prev gen Pilot due to the visibility it offered to driver (more than new one). And if I was going for a slightly smaller one, Subie Forester would be number one choice.
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    "We did and didn't like it as much since it felt a lot like a car and not an SUV"

Ah love that comment, if it felt anymore like an SUV I would not like it, so if the Pilot feels more truckish then it only reinforces my decision...funny to hear that as typically GM makes more truckish SUV's then Honda :-)

B.
    Nice to feel I help your decision.. ;P

GM does make more truckish SUVs but we were getting rid of a GM that was killing us with all the money we've had to put in for repairs.. It had barely 100K and needed a new engine, among other expensive things :( We treat our cars right and that GM was a "lemon" for us... this bad experience made us decide to look for only foreign cars this time around... sad but true.
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    Hello,
    Completely understand, this is the first American car we have ever bought, so was nervous about it (added 100,000 mile warranty only because a GM), but this was the perfect vehicle at the right time for our family and I have never found UNTIL this GM that their engineering and ergonomics were very good. But they finally have hit a good one with this.
    B.
    Just came across this link on sales figures for May 2008 and YTD.
    http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/4528

Pilots sales are down nearly 16% when compared to May 2007. Civics are way up. I wonder why?!
  • mattydmattyd Member Posts: 21
    arakesh said On May 28, 2008 "You can get 08 EXL in $25-26K".

Are you freaking KIDDING ME?! Amazing how we're getting screwed by Honda in Canada: look at this: I just was quoted $36,200 by the only Honda dealer in Oshawa, Ontario, on a USED used 2007 Pilot EXL w/ 19000km!!! I'm NEVER buying a used or new car in Canada again, unless it is within 1-2% of the price I'd pay in the US.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    mattyd wrote:

Are you freaking KIDDING ME?! Amazing how we're getting screwed by Honda in Canada: look at this: I just was quoted $36,200 by the only Honda dealer in Oshawa, Ontario, on a USED used 2007 Pilot EXL w/ 19000km!!! I'm NEVER buying a used or new car in Canada again, unless it is within 1-2% of the price I'd pay in the US

But at least you have free health care......... ;)
    Wonder why?
    People knew the new Pilot was coming, so they waited.
    In June, the production volume of new Pilot is not at 100% yet, so the sales figure will be down again compared with 2007. The best indicator should be the sales figure of July.

Look at the sales figure of Mazda CX-9. It maintains steady at 2300 units from Jan - May, 2008 with $500-$1500 rebate. Personally, I don't think CUVs are greatly affected in sales due to many SUVs buyers down sizing. Some people do need large vehicles, and they could find a good compromise with vehicles like Pilot, CX-9, Highlander, etc.

Overall, vehicles that are selling poorly are vehicles that weigh more than 5000lbs or with V8 engines. Luxury brands are also doing poorly since everyone is predicting a recession coming our way.
  • dng1dng1 Member Posts: 6
    I have been doing some internet shoping and the best price I got for the 2009 honda pilot AWD EX-L black is $33,000 plus tax. I leave in the new york city area. Is this a good price? Seems to be only $467 over invoice of $32533
  • rlevensonrlevenson Member Posts: 7
    Not bad, but I just bought a 4wd touring black/black int. for a bit above cost (with extras) at Yonkers Honda. My 2nd purchase there and my salesman, Mike, is a great guy to deal with.
    Just came across an interesting article on the current situation of truck and suv sales being heavily discounted through incentives and cash rebates.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/loans/article/105271/Car-Makers-Lavish-Incentives-on-SU- - V-and-Truck-Buyers
    Although the 09 Pilot is currently not on this list, it will soon be there after the initial excitement of the redesign dies down.
    So, if these Honda dealers continue to demand MSRP or even close to it, you'll be nuts to lay down $40K when by year end, prices will be near or below invoice with special low financing from Honda. I can almost guarantee it. :shades:
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    From what I've seen so far, the new Pilot turns me off. I haven't sat inside it yet, but have seen it several times in person, and Honda has completely overdone the styling. If I needed a vehicle that size, I would definitely go for the new Toyota Highlander (although I hate that it doesn't have a split third row bench). The Highlander is smaller, quicker, more efficient and has more cargo space. Although I'm not a huge fan of its styling, I think I would also rather buy the Hyundai Veracruz. It just seems to me that Honda stopped in the middle of developement, and left somethings out, like a better engine, and decent styling.

Shockingly enough, I think Honda just slipped, and in the process proved that bigger isn't always better.
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    I agree. Also the 2008 Pilot had better driver visibility than the 2009. Probably the best visibility among all SUVs-Crossovers on the market.

That rear side window (the 3rd) is huge. When I sit on the driver seat and turn my head to the right, I see anything outside ! I can safely change lanes and back up. Great 2008 design !

Who gives a damn about all kinds of safety features (airbags, VSC, etc) when you can't see where you are going ? Safety means having no crash in the 1st place. That means not being blind !!!
    I did feel that the old Pilot had some issues that needed to be worked out (as a 6 year old vehicle should) but this new one didn't seem to adress those.

I am extremely disapointed too if the 2009 has less visability than the 2008, as the new one is even boxier and bulkier! I'd excuse it if the new styling was sleek and sculpted, but this is a box! The windows should be huge!
  • dng1dng1 Member Posts: 6
    I got a internet quote for a black awd 2009 honda pilot ex-l for $28,726 from bayridge honda in brooklyn. does thatt make sense or is it just a low ball figure. I spoke to them in person and they confirmed this price.
    Are you sure it wasn't a 2008? That sounds too low.
    The Highlander doesn't have more cargo space (nor passenger for what is worth) than the Pilot. Is not even close! When the 3rd row is up the Highlander "cargo space" is pretty much a joke to be honest. Is so small that our daughter umbrella stroller hardly fits on it (it does very confy in the Pilot). It did have more passenger space in the 2nd and 3rd row, until the new Pilot came along. We compared them side by side and the Pilot is def bigger, and, once inside, you can really feel the difference. I agree that the Highlander is an easier, softer, more "like a car" ride though. Also, the highlander, when you get everything on it, is way more expensive (and should I say, a year older?). We thought it was not worth it to pay for the 2008 Highlander when we could get the 2009 Pilot with everything and some extras for about the same price. We believe both Toyota and Honda have great reliable, quality products so...

The Veracruz, is not only an egg (I read that term on another post and it fits so well.. lol), a style we hate, but was also really expensive when compared to the Honda. Again, it was more expensive than the Pilot (and also a year older?) which we didn't get. Maybe with rebates, negotiation, promotions and whatnot the price would have come down but we felt it was missing so much against the Pilot that we didn't even try to go thru all that. Is smaller too. The inside quality of the Hyundai looks so cheap, even my friends with Hundai agree on this.

These were some of the things and cars we compared when we were looking (for over 3 months) for a new car. As you must imagine by now the 2009 Pilot won and we love it :)
  • tkaytkay Member Posts: 99
    For that kind of mark-up, maybe the plan should be to rent a car hauler and bring back 3 or 4 Pilots... Is your economy that good up north to demand that kind of pricing?
    The Highlander doesn't have more cargo space (nor passenger for what is worth) than the Pilot. Is not even close!

Pilot-87cuft. Highlander-95cuft. The Pilot is bigger in every dimension (I think) yet the smaller Highlander has more cargo space, and only may be short in passenger space in the third row. But I would give it to the Highlandner because it has captains chairs in the second row, which can make things a bit less cramped in the third row.

As for the Veracruz, I'm not a fan of the styling either. But it is definitely not more expensive. I can't quote the numbers off the top of my head, but there is no way- especially now that Honda has the expensive touring model for 39(?) grand.

I was really just comparing in size, but what really tops the Pilot in my mind is the GMC Acadia. Besides being 10 inches shorter, there is no benefit of the Pilot over the Acadia. It's almost as spacious as a minivan, rides better, gets better gas mileage, handles better and is quicker (especially with the direct injection that comes this fall). The Acadia hands down wins to me.
  • semantic2semantic2 Member Posts: 28
    This is a honda pilot

Passenger Volume (cu. ft) 152.7 Touring
    Wheelbase (in) 109.2
    Length (in) 190.9

This is a toyota highlander

Passenger volume (cu. ft.) with third row 145.7

Overall length/width 188.4/

Now as for overall usage well since the there are only 2 captain chairs and no real 3rd seat that would explain the higher cu ft. If you had a bench in the 3rd instead of the captain chair with stoway which you could not put a baby seat in, then you would not has as much cu ft in the highlander.

kudos for the gmc acadia though. but after driving it for me i just didn't like it plus the feeling wasn't as great. reminded me of cx-9 or a veracruz which i don't particularly like. but to each their own. captain chairs in a suv reminds me of a minivan so i can't really call a highlander and suv even if it is one.
    kudos for the gmc acadia though. but after driving it for me i just didn't like it plus the feeling wasn't as great. reminded me of cx-9 or a veracruz which i don't particularly like. but to each their own. captain chairs in a suv reminds me of a minivan so i can't really call a highlander and suv even if it is one.

Wow. A Pilot fan gives respect to the Acadia. Captains chairs reminds you of a minivan? Have you ever been in a Suburban with captains? I guess it is spacious like a minivan. But do you consider the Suburban a van?

And those aren't cargo space numbers, those are passenger space numbers.
    Highlander:
    Luggage capacity: 10.3 cu.ft
    Seating: 7 (and with 3 car seats it almost goes down to 6... lol)
    Loved the captain chairs but can't fit 3 car seats in that row...
    3rd row is really uncomfortable even for short people like me.

Pilot
    Luggage Capacity: 18 cu. ft.
    Seating 8 (3 car seats in 2nd row... tight but they fit...)
    3rd row is good for us since we, and all our family, are short (under 5' 10" everyone) so we fit nicely ;)

I really have no clue how the highlander has 95 cu.ft of storage when the Pilot is bigger... it really doesn't feel as much. Now I'm really curious on how this is accomplished... :confuse:
    Wow. A Pilot fan gives respect to the Acadia. Captains chairs reminds you of a minivan? Have you ever been in a Suburban with captains? I guess it is spacious like a minivan. But do you consider the Suburban a van?

Yes captain chairs reminds me of minivans. I like benches and abhor captain's chairs. That is why I would never buy a vehicle with one. Yes I have been in a Suburban with captains and without. My friends family has one without captains' chair and I really like. But I didn't see the point in that big of a car for a family unless it's a huge family. "They mainly used it for business." As for if a Suburban is a van? Maybe a 2 family vacation hauler is more the answer than a van. But I don't compare a suburban to a pilot because it's bigger, has a v8 and technically isn't the same class.

Now I know I posted passenger space numbers vs cargo space but when you take into account the fact if all seats folded overall cabin space, and you take the little middle seat out in the highlander of course it is going to have more space because it dips.

1... highlander can fit 3 car seats with latch vs 4 in the pilot.
    2... highlander seats 7 vs 8 in the pilot and i don't count no little bench seat that a small kid has to be in. It has to fit an adult comfortably (suburban is great in the bench) hhehehe
    3....suburban is over 200 cu in in length (may have this wrong) but it is bigger than the pilot, I know this.
    4....Acadia is in the size range of a honda odyssey at over 200 cu in length.
    5... my parents own a highlander and while they like it, size wise they said it was also smaller than a pilot in interior room.

so i can understand gripes. as for overall interior space to haul i'd have to see how they do it. there has to be some hangs or something in the a piller or b piller blocking the extra storage space vs the highlander.\

so by elimination of almost any car with captain's chairs, i narrowed down my list. however, dealers told me i had to wait to get benches or at least in my area, your out of luck.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Wow, you don't like captains chairs? I feel they are so much more comfortable and if a vehicle offers both seating options, I wouldn't go near the bench.

Now I know I posted passenger space numbers vs cargo space but when you take into account the fact if all seats folded overall cabin space, and you take the little middle seat out in the highlander of course it is going to have more space because it dips

Okay, but that dip dosn't count for 8 cubic ft. Maybe 4.

It has to fit an adult comfortably

Then the Pilot only seats 5. That third row seat doesn't seat a midsized adult comfortably, and no way for someone 6+ feet like myself. The only CUVs that do that are the Acadia (and siblings) and the R-class and taurus x, but I won't go too much further off topic.
    Okay, but that dip dosn't count for 8 cubic ft. Maybe 4.

it's got to come somewhere. i mean the total length of a highlander is only 188 cu in versus 190.9 on the pilot... so it doesn't make sense?

It has to fit an adult comfortably

sure the bench in the 2nd row fits a 6+ ft adult fine. as for the rear. I haven't had a complaint with that size adult although he has never said anything to me and my best buddy and friend are around 6'3 although one weighs 220lbs and the other 245 and i fit them back both there to test comfortablility. :)
    it's got to come somewhere. i mean the total length of a highlander is only 188 cu in versus 190.9 on the pilot... so it doesn't make sense?

Just because it's smaller outside, doesn't make it smaller inside. The Honda Odyssey is almost 2ft shorter than the Suburban, yet it has MORE cargo space. Now that does have to do with unibody vs body on frame, but ut works as an example. The Highlande must just use its space more efficiently.

I haven't had a complaint with that size adult although he has never said anything to me and my best buddy and friend are around 6'3 although one weighs 220lbs and the other 245 and i fit them back both there to test comfortablility.

Sorry to tell you this, but they are just being nice to you. They don't want to hurt your feelings. Just don't put them back there more than 15-20 minutes, or they won't be your friends anymore.

And did you seriously ask if the Suburban was over 200 inches?! It's 220!
    Just because it's smaller outside, doesn't make it smaller inside. The Honda Odyssey is almost 2ft shorter than the Suburban, yet it has MORE cargo space. Now that does have to do with unibody vs body on frame, but ut works as an example. The Highlande must just use its space more efficiently.

yes but we don't own either so that is beside the point. however we do own a highlander and my friends do complain in the back seat of it. however, like i said before they didn't complain in the pilot. but hey i don't really care if they don't like it. as long as they fit back there. hehehehe so i take it with a grain of salt.after all i am the one driving and not them. hell they should pay for my tank of gas. :P a suburban is nice and big but it does not have a v6 it has a v8 and what the hell am i going to do with that when it doesn't meet my requirements?

but hey if a highlander floats your boat or a suburban. that's cool. we all prefer different things. I like maximum power, space, hauling within the confines of a v6 because i see no point in ever having to go to a v8. it would also be nice with technical goodies. however, there isn't much glorifed here in the highlander except for the acadia with niceties. but as i stated before i just don't like captain's chairs so it was narrowed down.
    I'm not comparing the Sububrban. I was just giving an example. I was comparing the Highlander and saying it must use the space it has more efficiently to get maximum cargo space. I never suggested you should get a V-8.
  • powder73powder73 Member Posts: 15
    A long long time ago (not so long but okay...8-9 years ago :P ) i had an odyssey and while not perfect it was a very good van..in fact i think the best i had...but living in snow province of quebec and still needing a van we had to switch to the sienna..the only one with awd... not a bad hauler for my 4 kids and wife but hey..a van is a van....

forward to now.....thank god they found a solution to big family that doesn't rhyme with van or suburban !!! My wife was decided (it's her car.)...we had tried a full weekend an acadia .....beautiful car.....but like any sane person we had to at least see the competition..you know just to be sure we made the best choice....so first the highlander....just so you know i'm 6'2'' and i weight too much for my taste...so when i drive it's all the way back....back to my test driving.....highlander is nice but too small for 6 people....7 if you count the dog!!!

So then i tough we had it..acadia here i come....but then i remember an article in edmunds talking about the new pilot 2009...what the heck....i tell my wife let's go see the pilot...the 2009 suppose to be bigger with lots of space inside...so here i am after 9 years..place hasn't change...a cramp little honda garage that look ugly compared to the new bigger and roomier showroom....and the guy keep talking about the pilot...and how good it is compare to the acadia and bla bla bla...my mind goes ''hmmm keep talking but hey it's my wife i said i would let her choose..''

Then his best move ...he give us the keys and tell us to go get lost with the pilot and that when we come back our sienna would have been appraise....hmmm now that i like..a lot....no saleperson with you....no stress...you can try every little thing and take your time......

So i enter...wow lot'S of space...even the passenger side is huge for me....lot's of space for my legs...altough not super comfortable my wife can sit behind me while i drive so for the kids it's more then ok....the driving is smooth..i love it but keep it to myself...the look and feel remind me a truck and i love truck....as simple as that the acadia take a drop...i want a pilot....but hey it's not my car..plus in my mind it must cost more then an acadia.....wrong..we choose a touring and omg the price is cheaper then an acadia..6k i think....(for us canadian..i won't even go to the differnece between us and canada it make me sick when i think about the 10k difference we have)

So after a good test we head out to the gmc dealer...talking about how good the pilot was but my wife doesn't look the ''truck look'' so for her it's still an acadia,,,,until she drive it....because it was still fresh i let her drive first then i try it myself...not bad but i don't know how to tell it but not as crisp as the pilot....but for the rest it's like a second home to me...i have a suburban.The interior, the dash, the radio...it's the same....and the finish isn't as good....plus after reading the multitude problem of the acadia in forums(it still a good car afterall i bought a sienna awd and a suburban and looking at the forum you'd think i'm crazy) i'm less incline to the acadia...

So the test is over and we head to another honda dealer that had a touring just to see all the option and if it was good or not....and hey what the heck let's drive it again.....this time i let her drive mostly all the time...it's her car she must enjoy it or the next 4 years will be :sick: ...After driving and inside the van she look at me and say : '' i hate you :P ...the pilot is much better and this is the car i want!!!''

So here i am.....next monday our pilot should arrive (they found one) and we can't wait to try it fully....after reading the manual ( i know i know but i can help it...i always beg for a manual so i can read it before..... :shades: ) wow....fully compatible ipod config,bluetooth and voice control calling,gps,xm,rear camera, parking sensor both front and behind and on and on..it's amazing....

Plus even fully packed it's still an 8 passenger cars.....just try to find a 8 passengers fully load acadia...well don't try cause it doesn't exist...and for me 8 is important....i made the mistake of buying a 6 passengers suburban and while it's spacious for everyone no one but us can come along....

Anyway i hope you'Re not to bored reading my little story.....and please excuse for the multitude error i'm french canadian and altough my english not to bad my grammar is horrible...

P.S: Don't compare the pilot or the highlander with the subarban....i have one and inside it's a cave...nothing get close to it....not even my van....they can chew number like they want in reality...anyway the one i am in...the suburban rule then all....and cost so much is fuel you'll cry!!!!LMAO
    Plus even fully packed it's still an 8 passenger cars.....just try to find a 8 passengers fully load acadia...well don't try cause it doesn't exist...

Um,,, the Acadia does seat eight, or seven, and has the best third row of any Crossover.

the suburban rule then all....

Nope. Minivans have more cargo space, and seat 7, or 8 (Sienna) more comfortably. Also, I have to disagree that the Pilot's dash is good looking. I think it is way too busy and overstyled to be attractive.

Sorry everyone, back on topic. I've heard from friends that the new Pilot is underpowered. Does anyone else agree?
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Nope. Minivans have more cargo space, and seat 7, or 8 (Sienna) more comfortably.

Nope, actually the Suburban has more cargo space than the Sienna or Odyssey with the 3 seats in place. With seats folded, the minivans do tend to have more space.
    Must be crazy to buy the 2009 Pilot. Cars always have bugs in the 1st year of production. I just tested one black 2009 Pilot at Gatineau Honda (Quebec) and:
    _ when driving straight, the steering wheel was not actually straight (I had to keep it about 30 degrees turned to the left, for the car to drive straight).
    _ after a 10 minutes test drive, when we stopped back at the dealer, the salesman said: "It smells like a new car". With the engine shutdown I lifted the hood a couple of inches and smelled. It was smelling like burnt oil. I said:"this is burnt oil smell, not brand-new car smell, it's an obvious difference". The guy said nothing ...
    _ I said:"Someone must be crazy to buy a 1st year production car". The guy said nothing ...
    _ under the car the rust protection simply is not there. My 2008 has lots of areas covered !
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    With the engine shutdown I lifted the hood a couple of inches and smelled. It was smelling like burnt oil. I said:"this is burnt oil smell, not brand-new car smell, it's an obvious difference". The guy said nothing

That's too bad the salesman dod not answer your questions. However, you are wrong. It is not burnt oil, it is in fact a "new car smell" called Cosmoline. It is a petroleum product that coats the exhaust system, and it needs to burn off. It prevents the exhaust from rusting out.
    Interesting ...
    Wikipedia says that:
    "Cosmoline is the purified residue obtained from the distillation of petroleum oils".

So it's an oil burning on the exhaust. It's exactly what I was smelling. It's amazing he didn't know that. Actually I remember now that he repeatedly said that he had just started learning about the new Pilot ...

Except that smell (which will go away) and the off-center steering wheel, the car drove nicely. It's a pity the gas sells in Quebec for CAN$ 1.40 the liter.

If 1 gallon = 3.785 liters, that's CAN$ 5.3 per gallon.
    If CAN$ 1 = US$ 0.981, then the gas sells in Quebec for US$ 5.2 per gallon !!! :sick:

That's way more expensive than what you are paying in USA !

Peace
    Nope, actually the Suburban has more cargo space than the Sienna or Odyssey with the 3 seats in place. With seats folded, the minivans do tend to have more space.

Minivans aren't off by much. The difference is their load floor is deep in the back, while the Suburban's is long.
  • namelessnameless Member Posts: 5
    I wouldn't agree that your findings should deter you from buying a newly designed model. The steering could just be an alignment issue as a result of numerous test drives. The smell you encountered could be the same reason. Keep in mind that it is a demo vehicle your driving, and I wouldn't be suprised on how many times it must have been taken out. And some shoppers, like myself, like to push the car during test drives (i.e. running over bumps and popholes, speeding then breaking, etc.) so it can suffer alignment issues.

So it's kind of a general statement to make to say that all 1st year models have bugs.
    Sure, it was a general statement that the 1st year models have bugs.

Still the 2009 Pilot I drove had only 8 kms (5 miles) on its odometer, so I doubt somebody drove it before myself. The dealership had received it the day before - it was not even washed after shipping. I would conclude that it came misaligned from the factory.
    Keep in mind that most dealers are lazy on prep-ing a new vehicles that just arrives.
    It is not unusual to see tires got inflated way too high (a must for transportation to prevent flat-spotting on ships or trains). There is a long procedure to go through when dealer get a new vehicle, but they usually are too quick to check all the boxes on the form.... The tires could be inflated to way different pressure causing mis-aligned steering wheel. Just one of the possibilities.
    And some shoppers, like myself, like to push the car during test drives (i.e. running over bumps and popholes, speeding then breaking, etc.) so it can suffer alignment issues.

Yes, some of us are hell-bent on getting a true feel for a model in a 20 minute experience. I'm not proud of some of the things I've done on my test drives- especially in the cars I knew I wouldn't buy.
  • tmarinertmariner Member Posts: 10
    I took a liesurely, brief test drive of the Pilot and liked it. But a few years ago I test drove a Ford SHO with a typically lazy, but car-crazy salesman. Obviously had to drive it like an SHO. When we got back from the test drive the salesman said, "I didn't know that car could do that.". My intent was not to impress him, but find out if the new model was as good as my old one.

As we were driving out of the dealer's lot, the salesman was slapping dealer plates on the car himself for a solo drive to see if was as much fun when he drove it.
  • rlevensonrlevenson Member Posts: 7
    About one month ago, I took possession of my 3rd Pilot having owned a 2003 and a 2006.

I must say that this model is the very best so far. The ride is great, tire roar/inside cabin noise is way down, and the interior is among the best I've seen. Even the standard bells and whistles that come on this model are awesome. I have no complaints and, if it weren't for the price of gas, would consider this car/truck the perfect vehicle. Honda has really outdone itself this time - and no - I don't work for Honda.

I also got a great deal from my salesman, including having the balance of my car loan on the 2006 paid off by Honda.
  • nikbertnikbert Member Posts: 20
    In the new comparo, Pilot's shipped tires have been criticized. Anyone knows any better tires (all season) suitable for Pilot and how to get them in lieu of the standard ones?
  • benandeleanorbenandeleanor Member Posts: 5
    I unfortunately don't have an answer to your question but I'm very interested in this as well. I was all set to purchase the 09 Pilot Touring and then read the Edmunds review with its criticism of braking (& tires)...Now I'm not sure what to do. I certainly don't want to be buying an unsafe vehicle and I don't know how to evaluate how serious of a concern this should be to a potential buyer. Anyone care to share what they thought about the braking/tire issue raised in the review? Is this a deal breaker? Thanks so much for your help!
    Choosing the right tire is a trade-off among many factors. CX9 does not have cheap tires on them (thanks, Mazda!).
    The V-rated OE tire (high-performance all season) is being sold at tirerack.com for $192 per. (and tirerack.com is being known for low prices)

Besides tires, the braking system might be insufficient for such a heavy vehicle. CX9 uses four wheel ventilated rotors. Not sure about Pilot or Highlander.
    I have owned many Honda vehicles, none of them impressed me with good braking...