Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Pilot

Comments

• mlock5000mlock5000 Member Posts: 1
    hi....quick question. what were some of the better lease deals youve seen out there for a pilot?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    What trim model and where are you at?
  • CanStackerCanStacker Member Posts: 13
    Hi everyone,

May I please ask if anyone has any comments about the 2009 Honda Pilot's cylinder deactivation and performance?

Can you feel the transition between running modes?

How's the power and acceleration?

I'm asking because that's the car, along with the Toyota Venza, that my wife has narrowed the choices down to. The reviews of the Pilot, while generally favorable, seem to think the car is a little underpowered.

She currently drives a 2007 Toyota RAV- 4 with the V6 engine, and it's very responsive.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks, CanStacker
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    May I please ask if anyone has any comments about the 2009 Honda Pilot's cylinder deactivation and performance?
    On the whole, the system works well. I live in a very hilly area (Western PA) and therefore don't get too many opportunities to run extended distances on less than 6 cylinders.

Can you feel the transition between running modes?
    Not at all. The only discernable difference is the amount of engine sound, fewer cylinders means less sound. Re-engagement of the additional cylinders when power is needed is very smooth.

How's the power and acceleration?
    Power and acceleration are adequate. You're not going to be blown away by the power, but at the same time I don't find it lacking. My other car is a 265 hp Maxima and so I definitely notice the difference, but at the same time I don't feel like I'm mashing the pedal to the floor with no response.
  • citivascitivas Member Posts: 144
    It works well for me. It is probably on about half the time overall, and a vast majority of the time I am on the freeways. Once you settle into a consistent speed it usually kicks in even if you are going pretty fast. I can be in cruise control at 74 MPG and have it active as long as I am not on steep inclines. The transition is seamless -- you hear and feel nothing, and it can instantly slip in/out of this mode.

Overall the Pilot accelerates less robustly than much of its competition -- this was one of my main "cons" when considering the vehicle. It has one less gear than most. That said, I have found that once I understood the rythym of the car I can accerlate very nicely. It doesn't want to be gunned, it wants you to increase pressure on the pedal as it builds up speed. If you go with the feel of the vehicle I have accelerated very nicely and in better time than was reported in most of the reviews.
    Thanks for the information poodog,

CanStacker
    Thank you Citivas,

CanStacker
  • integradriverintegradriver Member Posts: 123
    Got the black side steps instead of the running boards, mostly because we liked the look better.
    Didn't have too much of a choice in colors when we got our EX. Most dealers only had one or two. Black and white were not our favorites, but would have worked. Our last two cars were dark blue, so that was considered to be 'boring,' but again it would not have been a deal killer.

We were down to two dealers with comparable prices, one had Mocha, the other Dark Cherry. We got the Cherry one.
  • donixdonix Member Posts: 16
    I have 2007 pilot lx and 2009 pilot touring. Lot of difference of driving experience 2009 pilot is more agressive in winding road. Braking is very good!!! (for me) because I used to drive with an adequate distance from the vehicle infront of me and I used to drive before with a brake pumping system. `LOL`
  • love2driveinctlove2driveinct Member Posts: 80
    Here we are again, making a decision on the next family vehicle. We have been leasing for about 5 years now, and plan to lease again.

Was wondering if anyone had any specific thoughts on one versus the other. Right now we are looking at a $40-60/month difference in payment, comparably equipped. We are looking at two trim levels of each: Pilot in EX-L and Touring, and Acura in Base and Tech. Feature-wise, they are comparable, although I realize the MDX will be a step up in ways that don't show up on lists.

A little history... my husband had a 2005 Pilot, now has a 2008 Ridgeline, and I went from a 2004 Odyssey to a 2006 MDX. We have been very happy with all of these vehicles. I did spend a lot of time in our 05 Pilot and obviously know my 06 MDX very well. But it's hard to say if those comparisons even matter now because both vehicles have been redesigned.

When I test-drove the new Pilot I was very impressed. The ride was better, and they improved the features and technology a bunch, it has everything I need. The new MDX has a very sporty ride, I liked it, but was surprised how different it drove from the old MDX.

We were also considering the Mazda CX-9 (safety ratings aren't as high, so it didn't make the short list) and the Volvo XC90 (our first choice, but payment is sky-high due to poor lease terms right now).

Anyway... I like that the automakers are constantly redesigning and improving their vehicles, but it makes it difficult sometimes -- just when you think you know everything there is to know, you realize you probably don't know much of anything!

I'd love to hear any thoughts... thanks.
    It depends on what your purchase criteria is, but for me it was a no brainer to go with the Pilot.

The biggest reason was more cargo/passenger room in the Pilot vs the MDX. I drive a Nissan Maxima and our 2009 Pilot is mainly driven by my wife. But it also doubles as our "utility / family vehicle" and is used when we need to take more than 4 people somewhere or if I need to take advantage of the cargo area. The Pilot is clearly superior over the MDX in that regard.

In your case, it sounds like your Ridgeline may serve that role, in which case you might not see this as a benefit but possibly a negative due to gas mileage and handling concerns.

There's also the price difference. For a few grand more, you'll get a more refined interior and the cache of the Acura badge. I'm not a status-seeker, and while I think they could have done more with the Pilot interior, the upgraded MDX interior wasn't enough for me to merit the increase in price.
    We looked closely at both vehicles (as well as the CX-9 and Volvo) before settling on the Pilot in August. In terms of the major differences:

MDX is a better driving experience and a vastly nicer interior finish (the exterior was nicer in our opinion too). And the nav system had a paid-option for real-time traffic alerts and re-routing, which is nice. On the Pilot’s plus side it has substantially more interior room. You could seat up to 8 adults in the Pilot (we have) where the MDX can seat 7 bodies, but only 4 seats are compatible with most adults(and lest you think 4 is enough, remember if you have little kids in car seats, they will need those middle row side seats which reduces adult space to 2 or 3). Neither the rear row or the middle seat of the second row are viable for grown-ups (I had to physically bend my neck sideways because I was taller than the roof, even in the middle of the second row; I am 6’1”). More storage space too. The Pilot also has more “tech” than the tech package on the MDX, ironically. I was shocked that the MDX still doesn’t have the iPod integration standard in the Pilot Touring. We use this more than our radio. Other than the real-time traffic on the MDX and iPod control on the Pilot the nav and radio systems are identical. The Pilot also gets better gas mileage and doesn’t require premium fuel so your cost to operate will be less. On top of all this, the Pilot retains as much residual value as the MDX, which is surprising. You should also make sure that you really are getting comparably equipped in your comparison. For example, the tow prep and tow hitch is not standard on the MDX in any package but is standard on the Touring…

The CX-9 is a great car. It was the extremely close second for us. The Volvo wasn’t as impressive. It has a weak nav system, poor MPH and surprisingly its safety record is no better than the competition. Its customer satisfaction record is middle of the pack at best.

Good luck.
  • donixdonix Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2009 pilot touring and I bought it as demo vehicle with a premium runing board and moonroof visor for 37,000 including taxes,registration and anything with 6,000 miles on it.

this my first buy vehicle. is the deal was ok?

after 1 month I noticed that the vehicle will slowly pulls to the right, and just brought to the dealer today. they let me enter in their service bay and alllow me to look at the computer wheel alignment monitor and they say it has a slight misalignment at the pass side front wheel and rear. now my 2009 pilot is back on track. Glad! to the mechanic and service crew...
    Not sure what your taxes were (always best to quote prices without taxes and mandatory fees like plate and registration), but this seems VERY high to me. I bought a BRAND NEW (3 miles) touring back in August for $34500 with no add-ons. That was when the $2k dealer cash was still in effect, so for comparison purposes you'd be talking $36500 in today's pricing.

If you look at the dealer cost of those accessories and then back off what should have been savings on a demo, I'd think you should have been around $32k before taxes.
  • mike334mike334 Member Posts: 9
    I just had the trailer harness installed on my 09 pilot. I would like to purchase aftermarket tow ball mount but I am unsure of the spec for the mount - Drop, rise and length. Can anyone help or know the specs for the OEM mount?
  • mikenakmikenak Member Posts: 2
    I purchased the Ultimate Tow Kit from Costco for $54.99 and everthing works great. 2" receiver with 2" ball. I towed a boat a few weeks ago with no problems.
  • dcfakdcfak Member Posts: 22
    I thought the 09 came w/ the tow package? When you say trailer harness are you refering to the ball or more than that?
    Has anyone seen the bali blue honda pilot color in person? Does it look navy blue?
    The Touring definitely comes standard with the hitch and the prep package with wiring. It is a standard Class II (2") insert. Buying the ball is extra. I can't speak for the other trims.
    The Touring model comes complete ready to tow. The EX-L trim has the trailer hitch but the harness is not included. Still need to know on the tow ball mount the drop, rise and length so I can purchase an after-market kit.
  • colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    I was looking at the pilot but am curious why a small v6 suv only gets 2 mpg better than a 300+ hp v8 tahoe? further why is the tahoe always at the top of the list in quality while the pilot has never been there?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Pilot isn't a fuel saving car, save 2 MPG is already money.
    Pilot retains its value so much better, that is another money.
    Plus Pilot is better than Tahoe in below (used CR's comapre it in latest models)
    Braking
    Driving Position
    Rollover Test (govt)
    Body Integrity
    Body Hardware
    Power Eqip
    Used Car Verdict

Don't judge a car simply by the exhaust pipe looks like a coffee can...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I was looking at the pilot but am curious why a small v6 suv only gets 2 mpg better than a 300+ hp v8 tahoe?

The Pilot, with EPA ratings of 17/23, seats 8 and accelerates at roughly the same rate as the Tahoe (with its best EPA ratings of 15/20).

The Pilot starts at roughly $10,000 less than the Tahoe, an offers the best fuel economy on the base vehicle, without having to step-up to an option (as opposed to the Tahoe, where the base Tahoe makes less power and uses more fuel than the 5.3).

No doubt, the Tahoe gets good fuel economy considering its weight, but that doesn't mean that the Pilot is a guzzler just because it weighs less. It also doesn't make the Pilot a "small SUV"
  • joemama33joemama33 Member Posts: 26
    SMALL SUV? Are you kidding? The Pilot is as big outside as an Explorer. Inside, much larger.

You really want a Tahoe?
    Get the GM pimp car: the Escalade!
    :lemon:
    No has seen the bali blue??????
    Every dealership we saw a Pilot EX AWD at had at least one Bali Blue...but we already have two dark blue cars, so it was a colour of last resort for us.
    Doesn't rise/drop/straight and size of ball depend just a much on what you are towing as it does the vehicle itself? I don't think there is a "standard" type of hitch for a specific vehicle, you have to line up your trailer with the vehicle to see where they come together and they buy the hitch mount that compensates for any discrepancy.
    I have not seen the Bali blue. Our dealership doesn't have one. Can you tell me if it looks navy blue? Thanks.
    Yes, it's a dark blue.
    Thank you, I am ordering one today.
  • meowracermeowracer Member Posts: 1
    I have the Touring Pilot - just bought it (2009). On the front center console, there are 3 sections - a back section, drink holder section, and a little front section. There is one divider that comes with the car but two options for placing the divider. What I would like is a second divider so that all three sections can be divided. The dealer has no idea nor does the 800 customer service number help. I emailed Edmunds this morning but wanted to try here too. Certainly there has to be a way to obtain a second divider. The dealer said I am not the only person to ask about this. I don't understand why only one is provided with no way to get another. Thank you!
  • eduardo613eduardo613 Member Posts: 12
    Funny.. I had the same question and couldn't order/get another divider.... :mad:
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    Eduardo, can you edit that link, clicking on it doesn't bring you to the correct page. You have to add the last 10-15 characters that are not highlighted.
  • eduardo613eduardo613 Member Posts: 12
    Scott,

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&cat- cgry1=PILOT&catcgry2=2009&catcgry3=5DR+TOUR+4WD&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=CENTER+C- ONSOLE+%281%29

(It is part number 22 "Divider")

Not sure why the link is showing up properly... so here is the info... (I ordered this part from them).. The company is Majestic Honda. There website address is: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...select your year, model etc.

Good luck!
    :D
  • phillipaphillipa Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2007 Honda Ridgeline. I would like to disconnect the Grade Logic Control to see if the transmission shift points are more to my satisfaction. Does anyone know where this device is located?
    It is in the computer programming of the transmission. You can't "remove it." Hondas have had GLC transmissions since the mid-1990s.

GLC won't come into play if you are on reasonably level ground, so the shift points can be checked with whatever driving style you prefer.
  • phillipaphillipa Member Posts: 3
    Some mechanical device has to tell the computer or transmission the angle of the vehicle. That information would then be handled by the software or transmission logic. At this time if I start down a slight grade from a stop, the transmission will not shift into 5th gear till I reach the bottom of the hill. Even if I go 60 mph. It is nothing but a gas guzzling feature to me.
    No it doesn't.

The fact that the car is receiving X amount of throttle but isn't speeding up or maintaining f(x) speed, then it knows it's on a grade. Conversely, if you are applying the brakes x amount, and aren't decelerating f(x) amount, the car can recognize the downhill grade.

In the amount it "guzzles" gas, its likely saving you that much in brakes.
    When I press on the brakes the pedel its makes a high pitch humming sound.
    Took to dealer and checked ABS and flushed brake line.
    Didn't fix problem. The sound will stop if I pump the brake pedel.
    However, it will do it again when I press on the peddle. It happens every 7 out of 10 times I push on the brakes.
    Any ideas as to what the problem is or where to start?
    Toyota Sienna Brakes Forum

Click that link, it will take you to the proper discussion. You are currently in a forum for the 2009 Honda Pilot Crossover SUV.

Good luck! :)

TheGraduate
  • hanzerohanzero Member Posts: 13
    Question first: Has anybody had an experience of finding all the windows and sunroof left open when you came back to your new Pilot?

I had to shop at a mall for several hours today. I had parked my new Pilot (EX-L RES) in the parking lot before dark and then came back to the car when the mall was closing and found that all the windows and sunroof of my car left open. I never opened the windows and sunroof today so I am 100% sure they were shut. I remote opened the doors from a distance so I do not know whether the doors were also left open. I do not know either how long my car was left that way in the parking lot. So far, there have been no issues this 1 month old car. Today, I was driving in rain in the morning - I am wondering if this weather condition might have caused this or if a remote key from someone else might have triggerred this.

I believe that the power should be on at least briefly before the windows can be operated. I have no idea how the power can be on without me inserting the key.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have you had any issues recently with water in your Pilot - that may have caused electrical shorting? Just a thought.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Push the unlock button, then push and hold the unlock button on the second push. It should open all of those things. I bet you held it a while.
    Absolutely no issues with water. I had to let one of the doors open a few seconds in light rain to put my daughter in her car seat.

Rain might have been a problem, but I am wondering what other reasons can be.

Thanks, anyway.
  • rich357rich357 Member Posts: 9
    Yes - once. I almost didn't notice because I have those plastic window things (can't remember the name right now) on all windows. Anyway, all were opened about 2 inches including the sunroof - I swear I never left anything open. I've never forgotten that and I'm glad you posted about it because I thought I was going crazy. I have a 2009 Pilot Touring, by the way.

What might have caused this to happen?
  • ed111ed111 Member Posts: 22
    I believe the Honda remote is designed to open all windows and sunroof if, when locked, the remote's unlock button is pressed twice and held down. It is meant as a way to cool off a hot car (left parked in the sun) before you get in it.

Maybe by accident (or in a purse or pocket) the unlock button was pushed twice and held either when you left the car or when you approached (but before you looked at the car). I'm not sure what the range of the remote is, but from the description of the open windows and sunroof, it sounds like the button was pushed. Either that or a malfunction.
    From reading a few messages, I conclude that I pressed the unlock button twice and held it down accidentally because I cannot think of any other possibilities. With only a few keys in the key chain, I still don't know how this happened.. will just have to be more careful. Yet, I am glad that it might not be an electric problem.

Thanks for the ideas.