Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Stereo, CB, iPod, CD, AUX, NAV

roachscpgcroachscpgc Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Jeep
I have a 2004 Wrangler X with a blown sub in the center console. I can not find a replacement besides Mopar who wants $300. It is a 6 1/2" dual voice coil speaker. Please help!

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I put an 8" Kicker sub in mine, but I have a Tuffy security console.

Why stay stock when you can get a better speaker from an audio shop?

-Paul
  • roachscpgcroachscpgc Member Posts: 2
    I live in a crappy neighborhood, where anything aftermarket is sure to get stolen, and probably sold back to me at a discount price.

Travis
    Tuffy console. :) I've had mine in for a couple of years now and it is solid as a rock. I'm sure with enough time, it could be broken in to, but time is NOT a theif's best friend.

VERY stout and VERY secure. You can mount decent speakers under the factory grills too so they don't really show.

-Paul
  • joeschmoejoeschmoe Member Posts: 1
    was it difficult mounting the 8 inch kicker into the tuffy, lookin replace my 2001 blown sub. Is the 8 inch kicker to much power for the stock sahara amp.
    please respond asap
    thanks joe
    Joe,

I'm not sure about power to a stock amp, as I have a dedicated Alpine to my Kicker sub, but I don't think the sub would be a problem for it.

As for fitment, it fit fine, even with an MDF ring spacer between the subwoofer mount and the Tuffy itself. Has plenty of room to go in and out.

-Paul
  • pkearpkear Member Posts: 26
    I have a question does anyone know anything about mounting a CB in the new 2007 Wrangler Unlimiteds? I have seen a no drill mount but it looks like it was made for a round overhead roll bar which the 2007's have one in back above the passengers but the one over the drivers is more of a flat bar with the interior light and mounting for the hardtop. I would prefer not to drill any holes if avoidable however it is more important to me not to interfere with operations of the top or anything else. I do plan on mounting the antenna which will require some minor drilling however I have had to replace antenna mounts a little less than CB's over the years.
    For those of you who think a CB is an outmoded communication device I ask you have you ever been stopped dead still on I-95 and it is not rush hour. All I do to find out what and where the hold up is located is turn on my CB. I also get alternate routes as well as real time traffic conditions on them with the flip of a switch.
  • dr_phatcitydr_phatcity Member Posts: 1
    What sized sub did you put in? I'm trying to do the same and I wondered what you purchased and how it worked out for you.
    I have a Kicker 8" sub. It is several years old now and still working just fine. :) I also did dynamat inside it and a MDF 'gasket' between the sub and the side of the tuffy. Still had room to mount it all. Just be sure to test mounting depth and allow room for speaker to move.

-Paul
  • szahorenkoszahorenko Member Posts: 1
    I hope you guys can answer this simple question for me. All I am trying to find out is what the wattage is of the subwoofer that is in the center console of my jeep is because it blew out on me the other day and the jeep dealership wanted to charge me $250.00 just for the speaker replacements. I am trying to find a comprable subwoofer to fix that space in the console. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate
  • headtekheadtek Member Posts: 4
    I want to install a sub and amp in my 2007 wrangler 4dr unlimited. Does anyone know where to start ripping the dash out to get to radio?
  • funbobfunbob Member Posts: 1
    I just installed an American Pro Bass Machine 800 Watt amp with two 12" MTX subs in my Jeep Wrangler. My head is a JVC EXAD (KD-LHX551).

I hope I can explain this so people can understand it. There are two wires coming from the back of the head that, when plugged into the REM, remote turn on spot on the amp, will allow the amp to actually turn on. There's a yellow one, and a green one.

BUT (and there are two of these), they ONLY turn on the amp when I have a spare bit of wire from the power wiring touching against them. Otherwise, none of the wires from the back of the head turn the amp on. This wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that the amp doesn't shut off when I shut the car off, which is a problem because it kills my battery. That makes no sense to me.

The other BUT is that when the green one is hooked up in this way, it makes the smaller speakers cut out when the subs get a nice loud hit.

Can anybody help me figure out which is really the correct wire, or any way that I can make the damn thing turn on and off with the car? Can I wire it into the ignition or something????
  • gily25gily25 Member Posts: 1
    You can fit in a JL 6.5" or cdt 6.5" subwoofer (both avail at www.woofersetc.com). I would recommend an external amp for both of those as the factory amp is grossly underpowered and it'll sound muddy. also use some dynamat or the lid to the console vibrates. In my '05 TJ I replaced the oem with a 7" elemental designs sub (www.elementaldesigns.com), the eu-700. However this will require you to cut the 'grill' on the console and screw in your own speaker grill (it'll still clear the seat and I used a std. 8" sub grill off ebay) for excursion clearance.
    Sounds like a grounding issue to me.

But as far as power to the amp. Check the instructions on your stereo to see which wire is the amp turn on (remote). Some have mistakenly used the power antenna lead to do it, which will only work when on in RADIO mode, not CD or satellite (if equipped).

-Paul
    I used Dynamat in my Tuffy console, which is big enough to fit a Kicker 8" with no problems. :) It is powered by a dedicated single channel amp.

-Paul
  • mafigueroamafigueroa Member Posts: 2
    does any one knows how to replace the speakers in a 88 wrangler.please help
  • jeep4pamjeep4pam Member Posts: 2
    I had it playing on my way into work and at the end of day i get in my jeep and it no longer works. nothing. nada. Any ideas? Oh, and while i'm at it...my gas gage quits working at a half a tank. I have to fill up at a certain milage to keep from running out of gas as i have before! Any ideas as to why? Ummm, oh, and my side mirrors do their own thing. Is there a way to tighten them? Any help would be great! Thanks, Pam
    Not sure on the radio, but my guess would be a loose power connection somewhere on the back. Possibly a loose wire shorted a fuse as well, so check your fuse panel behind the dash/glovebox.

For the fuel gauge, may be an issue with the sending unit, which is located in the tank with the fuel pump. Older TJ's had an issue with this and yours may be one of them.

For the side mirrors, there should be a couple of phillips screws on either side of the mount of the Jeep (look at the bottom of the 'frame' for the mirror). Loosen them all the way, then reinsert them, tightening them down tightly. This should take care of that.

-Paul
  • uchicjuchicj Member Posts: 1
    What is involved in installing the OEM Infinity Sub? Does it have a built in amp or does it run off of the stock radio? Also, without tearing it apart, does anyone know if the wiring for this option is there and it is a simple plug-in?

Thanks
  • headtekheadtek Member Posts: 4
    I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish. If you didn't purchase the vehicle with the Infinity sound then you will need to install the amp and sub (which means running a wiring kit to the stock radio).

I installed an aftermarket sub and amp in my '07. Not too difficult however I've since traded the '07 for an '08 with the infinity sound package included.
  • vickyltvickylt Member Posts: 9
    I have a 99 Wrangler TJ and am trying to install a Soundbar and Stereo to my Wrangler and need help w/the wiring. If someone wouldn't mind helping me with what connects to what, I'd really appreciate it. Here is what I have:

Sound Bar Wires

Brown
    Lt Brown/White
    Red - positive for light, but what do I connect it to?
    Black - negative for light, but what do I connect it to?
    Blue
    Blue/White

Car Wires
    Yellow
    Red
    Orange
    Gray/black
    White/black

Stereo
    Blue
    Black
    Pink
    Yellow
    Green/black
    White/black
    Gray/black
    Purple/black
  • propagator4propagator4 Member Posts: 4
    Hey, I just bought a 98 TJ and am in the process of Waterproofing it (Vinyl floor cover to replace carpet and neoprene seat covers). I'm looking for a way to alter the cd deck to make it waterproof, because I know that I'm gonna start forgetting to put the top up before it rains.

Anyone ever done this before?

Thanks,
    Pete
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Unfortunately you'll probably have most than a loss of music to deal with if you leave it uncovered out in the rain.

The most vulnerable area is around the instrument panel and steering column.
    Most common problems related to water ingress are issues with the clockspring, instruments, charging, and cruise control.

Best advice is not to go there in the first place, and at least get a bikini top you can throw up quickly.
  • propagator4propagator4 Member Posts: 4
    Hmm, alright, certainly didn't think of that. Looks like the stereo is a moot point then.

Don't people ride their (waterproofed) jeeps in 4 feet of water? I was told there was a way to reroute the air intake to the engine and seal off the engine compartment so you could drive it up to the windshield in water. If true, how do those people waterproof the instrument panel and steering column?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Don't people ride their (waterproofed) jeeps in 4 feet of water?

Rarely more than once! :)

It's virtually impossible to seal the clockspring and instrument panel, though I guess with enough time and money anything can be done.
    Snorkles for Jeeps are designed to allow the engine to breathe clean air on dusty roads, as opposed to driving chest deep in water. The Australian made ARB is a good example.
    Extensive and time consuming waterproofing will allow you to exceed the recommended fording depth, but driving in water up to the windshield only works well on TV and in the movies. ;)
    4' of water and I hope you have some paddles on those tires.

Snorkels, as Mac said, are for AIR only. You need to also factor in:
    - extended breather lines for the differentials
    - extended breather lines for the transmission
    - extended breather lines for the transfer case
    - waterproofing EVERY connection in the vehicle, including the computer control module.
    - Find a way to waterproof the alternator
    - electric fan. Fans partially submerged have a tendency to shatter when the blades go from air to water.

It is NOT a tough task, but it is VERY tedious as one missed connection or breather hose could lead to long term issues, especially in the electronics.

you COULD go with a marine grade radio which will help with water resistance, but it will not be 100% waterproof. Get some water down into the dash and your stereo will be toast, so you will need to factor in a way to shield the back of the stereo inside the dash... or get a bikini/safari top.

Forget the vinyl flooring. Go with something like Linex or Herculiner for a STRONG material that will also help keep metal from being exposed to water and rusting. Water can get between flooring materials (Carpet, vinyl, mats, etc) and go to work on any areas where paint has worn off.

Protect the clockspring (between steering wheel and column), the dash openings, and key electronic paths in the engine area and you'll be okay for the casual water and occasional water crossings that aren't too deep.

-Paul
  • diesel2017diesel2017 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2001 wrangler sport and i noticed that it has a subwoofer in the center console BUT it does not work. I took the console out and got the subwoofer unit out and i see that the foam around the sub is all ripped so i know i gotta buy a new sub for it but i dont even know if the whole unit works period. I tried the radio and a cd to see if i could hear anything out of the sub but there is nothing. I checked the fuse behind the glove box and its not blown. I checked the relays under the hood but i didnt see anything in there labeled for radio or sound system or whatever. Is there a way to see if the thing even works??? i dont know if the amp is junk or just because the speaker is ripped that ur not gonna hear anything?? seems like u still would but it would just sound like crap. I got the whole unit out of the jeep right now but does anyone know how i could test it to see if the amp is bad or just get some sort of sound out of it so i know nothing is broken and i can buy another sub to put in it.....
  • kcspankcspan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Wrangler Rubicon. I am trying to download music from my I-Tunes library but it will only download some of the songs. I have less that 6 gigs of music so it should all download. Anuy suggestion how to successfully download my library to the hard disk? I have tried hooking up the I-POD and tried copying I-Tunes library onto a flash drive. I am at a loss. Signed..."no music to my ears"
    Most likely the songs copied are the ones you copied from discs you own. iTunes music, unless you pay for the non-copyprotected version, generally won't transfer or play properly on non-Apple/iPod equipment.

-Paul
  • tpjeeptpjeep Member Posts: 2
    I have the EXACT same problem in an '02 Sahara that I purchased about 8 months ago. Did you ever get a decent answer out of anyone as to how to figure out if the amp in the subwoofer box is bad or if the factory radio was bad. Sure would be good to know. All I have right now is lame sound with no bass. Thanks for any reply.
  • tpjeeptpjeep Member Posts: 2
    I have an '02 Sahara with no sound coming out of the center pedestal subwoofer. The fuses are all okay. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to determine if the amp in the soundbox is defective. The speaker checks out good at the local car stereo shop and I get sound out of the two fronts and the two speakers in the soundbar. Can anyone tell me the jeep/chrysler part number of the amp and/or the soundbox assembly? Thanks for any reply.
  • kcspankcspan Member Posts: 2
    I finally did get my entire library to load onto the nav system/radio. The trick was to copy the entire library onto a high gig flash drive then then plug the flash drive into the port on the Jeep. I don't know why it would not load directly from the IPod, but the flash drive method did the trick. Every song is now on the hard drive in the Jeep. Thanks everyone for helping out!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter wants to interview people who have trouble using voice-activated car technologies. Please respond to pr@edmunds.com by Tuesday, October 26, 2010 with your comments on the subject.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.