Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Owners - Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Still confused. Isn't the model year determined by the manufacturer, rather than the taxing authority? In your case, Volvo as a 2006, regardless when you have it registered. Say you store the car for 10 years and don't drive it. In ten years, it's still a 2006 model.

I do understand not wanting to pay taxes for a full month when you have the car for just one week though.
  • johnh7johnh7 Member Posts: 67
    Ah - so now I understand why we threw all that tea into the Boston Harbor :)
  • erisamanerisaman Member Posts: 99
    Gosh - did they wait until January 1st too?

In that case, they must've wanted iced tea!
    Yes, the model year is decided by the manufacturer, but as Volvo have deemed the 2007 model to commence in July in some cases although apparently October in the UK, then it would seem I'll be having a 2007 model irrespective of when it's registered.

However, the buying public, in two, maybe three years time, will be far less cynical and far more likely to purchase my 2007 registered car as being a 2007 model, than if I registered it two weeks earlier in late 2006! Don't ask me where their logic lies - it's as confused as my logic is right now!

As far as the taxes are concerned - I'd have those two weeks in December free of charge, my tax would last 12 months commencing January 1st, it's the registration document that would show the registration date.

Clear? Or as cloudy as Boston Harbor after a tea party?
  • johnh7johnh7 Member Posts: 67
    Not anymore because of global warning - but - I'm forgetting - we Yanks have been told that global warming doesn't really exist.
    Thanks for the attempted explanation. Yes, the logic escapes me too. Would seem to me that your MY07 in several years would still be looked at by a prospective buyer as an 07, regardless whether it was registered in 06 or 07. Thanks again.
  • jtregojtrego Member Posts: 68
    It gets even worse. In our wonderful state of Virginia we still have personal property tax, so if you purchase or own a vehicle any time after january 1 2006, then you pay the tax for that year (even if you only have it for 1 day of that year.

Actually, it isn't quite as bad as it seems since I have already paid the taxes for 2006 on our current car that we will get rid of once we have the C70. That would be applied as credit, but the C70 (because of its higher value and newer status) would be taxed at a higher rate.

Still, if a person was to get a new vehicle as an add on at the end of the year they would still have to pay the propertey tax.

fortunately, this should not be an issue anyway because ours isn't sheduled for delivery until Jan 2, 07.
  • redbuzzredbuzz Member Posts: 57
    My long and torturous journey to C70 ownership is nearing a successful conclusion! I placed my first deposit with a dealer early in December '05. His allocation of '06's was supposed to be 2 but was cut back to 1. I was #2:( . I was referred to another dealer that had ordered one almost like I wanted (it had the premium stereo :D ) and I gave them a deposit. Their allocation was cut and I was out of luck again :cry: . Since I wasn't going to get one for the summer of '06, I decided to look into overseas delivery. Nobody knew when OSD would begin but I laid down my third deposit back at the first dealer and hoped for the best. By this time, I wanted just about every option. My wife made reservations for the Icehotel near Kiruna, Sweden for mid-Feb '07. My dealer ordered an exact duplicate of what I wanted for stateside delivery in case the OSD didn't happen. When that car came in, we were committed to OSD and had to see it leave for another dealership. When OSD was announced, deliveries were to begin in March! :mad: My dealer was able to get them to give me a delivery that works with the Icehotel dates :) . I'll keep you posted.
    Welcome to the forum - and best wishes that all works out right in the end, for you and your wife, and that you get the car of your dreams sooner rather than (any) later.
  • cubemarkcubemark Member Posts: 3
    Hi All

After saving for most of 06 for a new C70 I bought a used one from a Honda dealer with 1500miles and every option box ticked (registered May 06) and in the colour I wanted. Only difference was I wanted ali trim and got wood, but now I prefer it anyway. It seems that there are a lot of things to go wrong and some have, but a software upgrade has hopefully ended that experience. I have listed the spec. and options below in case anyone wants feedback to make a purchase or upgrade choice.

Celestial Blue, calcite cream interior
    2006 T5 SE LUX geartronic (Dynaudio HI Fi etc.)
    Font and rear parking assist
    Comms pack (sat nav, integrated GSM phone)
    BiXenon pack
    Removable tow bar
  • redbuzzredbuzz Member Posts: 57
    There's no turning back now, the car is paid for, I have a VIN, and our tickets to Sweden are confirmed. We get our C70 on Feb. 23 in Gothenburg. I hope the weather cooperates. I heard that there was flooding in Gothenburg and that the snow is wet and heavy in Kiruna. We wont have time to drive it much in Sweden anyway.
  • cuccicucci Member Posts: 49
    Nice to know there is another C70 on the roads here ... we still have yet to see one!!
  • henkbwhenkbw Member Posts: 22
    Hi Cubemark,

Welcome to the club.
    Despite all the problems you read about the car over here, I think that everybody loves his/her car (except the former owner of your car maybe). And you'll always hear the complaints, never the compliments.
    And in the spring, when the sensational feeling of topdown driving has started, the complaining will stop.

Happy motoring.
    I've noticed you use "Happy Motoring" alot. Did you work for Esso or Exxon? Just curious. :D
  • henkbwhenkbw Member Posts: 22
    tmart

No, I don't work nor have worked for one of those companies. I read it once somewhere and use it now and then. Why, is it a slogan of one of these companies? In my country (Netherlands) it isn't.
    Yes it is, but hasn't been used recently. No problem with your use of it. It's a good thing.
  • rschleicherrschleicher Member Posts: 79
    Well, our C70 just arrived last Thursday, so my wife and I had a fun weekend playing with the new toy. It will be her car primarily, but I'll get my turns driving as well...

We ordered the car in early December, for a March delivery. But then our dealer found another car that was due to come in, where the original orderer had canceled. It had everything we had ordered, plus two adders, but the dealer was good enough to sell it to us at our original order's price. So we got a good deal, and it took less than two months total elapsed time to get the car.

Car is black with calcite cream interior - with all available options, except no Navigation. (Oh, and we had earlier specified the Temp Spare on our original order, but this one came with the compressor and sealer. It's a small "price" to pay for the additional options we got.)
  • lemennlemenn Member Posts: 89
    Welcome to our world of happy C70 owners.

Remember than we all like to see pictures.

Don't hezitate to post them.
  • gbrad71gbrad71 Member Posts: 3
    Hello!
    This is my first post on Edmunds, I was searching for repair information on my 1998 C70 coupe. Boy do I have problems. My inspection was due on 12/06, when I went to have it inspected I could not get it done because the driver's side window will not go up or down, who would have known that if you window does not go up or down in VA, that you car will not pass inspection?. I got a Volvo technician to look at it, and he said the window regulator motor needs replacing. The motor, X bracket etc would cost around $500 and the labor around $600. The total cost at Don Beyer Volvo in Falls Church, VA, a whooping $1,200.00!!! Nobel Volvo of Fredericksburg, VA wants $1,032 to fix it. So, while I save up the money to get it fixed, I am riding around with an almost two month expired inspection sticker. Right now, with the help of a friend, I have a stick of wood pushing the window up to keep it from falling down. It has still dropped down about an inch, and with it being winter and cold, it really, really makes things a pain. Also, got another problem. I got this car from CarMax in Dulles, VA. It had around 63,000 miles on it at the time. The serpentine belt has been replaced, but I do not see anything about timing belt being replaced. The car now has 99,000 miles on it, and I still have not gotten the timing belt put on. Why you ask, well, I found out from the Don Beyer dealership that to get the 75,000 service, which includes the timing belt, it would cost me close to $800.00, and I do not even know if that includes changing the water pump out. I have read that if you do not change the water pump out, that it will start to leak, as the new belt puts extra strain on it. So I have a window that does not work, a timing belt that is getting ready to pop, and possibly destroy probably one of the best engines I have ever owned, and there are more problems. Here is where I need help from the people out there reading this. The two back tires on my Volvo C70 are worn down to the yellow belt on the very inside, I mean completely bald extending to about a half of inch to an inch. Both of the tires on the very inside are like this. I was told by a Volvo tech, that the C70 has some suspension problems and what was showing was a known problem with them. Does anybody know what could be causing it? How much it will cost to fix it? I have had the car aligned and this did not fix it, unless they messed up the alignment and this caused it, but I do not think so. I also will have to get the tires replaced after it is fixed. Currently I have the 225/45/17 Sumitomo's which I have had great luck with and I love them. So, it looks like I am going to have the tires replaced/suspension fixed (will this stop my car from passing inspection too?) I got the same tires priced on tirerack.com and I can get the Sumitomo's for $79.00 a piece, just over three hundred dollars for the four.
    The last problem I have, the drivers seat stopped going back and forth, the electrical buttons do not work. I checked the fuses, they are all fine. Does anyone know what happened to the seat, and how much will it cost to fix it?

Thanks much,

Greg
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The window issue is a known problem on the early C70's.
    Timing belt is due for replacement.
    Probably a good idea to repalce the water pump as well.
    The C70 didn't have any suspension problems, the suspension design is the same one as the S70.
    There are any number of reasons why your tires wore like they have.
    There are a number of independent Volvo shops in the DC area, you might try one of them and see if you can get the cost down on the timing belt. The window is expensive because it is a PITA to replace.
    Good Luck
    Wow, sorry to hear of all your problems. I have a 99 LPT. I can only comment on the seat not moving. There's a bracket at the bottom of the seat back that holds a small spring which controls the microswitch which controls seat movement. On mine the seat would go forward but not back. Depending when the bracket broke, and if you're lucky, the spring may still be in the rear floor well. Its about a half an inch long. My repair was $50.
  • caucoincaucoin Member Posts: 1
    New owner ... ordered in November ... received in February ... Home in Katrina-land ... south Louisiana ... thanks to all for comments & ownership experiences.

First road trip completed ... Louisiana - Mississippi - North Alabama - Tennessee - Georgia

1441 miles ... top down time ... about 50 miles ... wife said she was getting tired of the other car

Smokey Mountain Scenic Route ... beautiful

Not a very pleasant trip in 25 degree weather ... will be going back!

Actual MPG ... 29.26

Here is a picture of lovely wife doing the "C70 Woo-Woo" in Stone Mountain Park, GA ... oops .... will post when I learn how

2007 C70 - Grey Metallic - auto - ">premium sound 17' wheels

Must have accessories:
    Wind guard ... slush mats

Trunk divider, nice to have

Next Wants ... Heico Programmer, Free Flow Air Filter & Maybe the Free Flow Exhaust, ups HP to around 250 ... any comments on sound appreciated ... I don't mind ... wife's daily driver.

Just noticed Check Engine Light ... only 2500 miles ... all seems well ... 40 miles one-way to dealer

Don't mean to ramble ... thanx again for all the input
This discussion has been closed.