Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Any chance of a V8 or 6 Cylinder for the H3?

marka2kmarka2k Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in HUMMER
Last discussion I could find stated that a V8 was possible for the 2007 model year obvisouly has not happened yet. This is the only thing keeping me from purchasing a H3 can any confirm or deny any plans to add the V8 to the H3 model? and if so when can we expect it?

My first post so if I added this discussion to the wrong forum please accept my apologies

Thanks!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome Mark.

5 cylinders is sort of different. You could always go this route if more HP is what you are after:

Geiger Hot-Rods the Hummer H3 up to 325 Horses

I've seen scuttlebutt for a V8 next summer or for 2008. Nothing reliable though.
  • leeharvey418leeharvey418 Member Posts: 38
    The 5.3 L V8 will be available sometime in MY 08.
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    Just came from a (diesel) turbo, no thanks. Supercharger uses hp to make hp, but hp is needed at top end anyway. v8 gets messy under the hood. And then there are the weight problems and that squashed exhaust pipe. Let's hope that smart engineers are in control at gm.
    Will the v8 be the aluminum version used in the 4x4 trucks?

Will the torsion bars and leaf springs be increased and be able to be back fitted for '06 mods?

Is the I6 too long for the H3? With more hp/torque is a 4.10 or 3.73 diff coming?
  • bigd1960bigd1960 Member Posts: 2
    HI, TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ABOUT A V 8 H3. THE PLANT WILL BE RUNNING A COUPLE OF NON SELLABLE UNITS WITH IN THE MONTH. THEN WILL START PRODUCTION IN FEB OR MARCH. THE V 8 WILL BE A 300 IRON BLOCK 5.3 LITER. IT WILL NOT HAVE THE CYLINDER DEATIVATION LIKE ON THE NEW SILVERADO. THEY MAY ADD IT LATER.
    Thank you. Also read other forums and their posts including those from the nikon camera professional.

Test drove a new tahoe before the h3 purchase-didn't think it had the right gas pedal feel(cyl deact?). Never drove one while at the cadillac dealer last year, but like another post somewhere, the cadillac tahoe with the 6.0 must be a nice combo. Never drove a trailblazer with the 4.2 either.

I assume all caps is for emphasis and is taken that way.
  • bigd1960bigd1960 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, I gave you some wrong imformation on the v-8 spec. it is 300 hp., but its aluminum, not cast iron.
  • leeharvey418leeharvey418 Member Posts: 38
    I think your engine questions have been answered.

I can't speak to the torsion bars themselves, I would imagine that they have indeed been upgraded. I would be very surprised if you couldn't retrofit H3 V8 torsion bars to an I5 model, though GM probably wouldn't recommend it. As for the leaf springs, there is no difference in mounting hardware between I5 and V8, so even if the spring rates have been increased, retrofitting would be no problem whatsoever.

The I6 has to be too long for the 345/355, since that would be the obvious and easy way to upgrade power (if it did fit).

I haven't the foggiest idea what GM's product planners have in mind for axle ratios, but given Hummers reputation for poor fuel economy, I would be shocked if a production vehicle was sold with anything other than an extremely tall rear end. If anything, more power would prompt them to go even taller still.
    Thank you. Probably will leave better_half's daily driver alone. Maybe do intake/exhaust mods later. From the factory only have 853lbs of capacity remaining on the chassis as it stands. Need those bars and springs. Will not crank up the torsion bars.

Wanted to wait for the new 2wd silverado with a locking rear but our previous ride was eating our lunch and not trustworthy and so the H3. Old school-like body on frame, push rod, and etc.
  • ran5ran5 Member Posts: 2
    Tired old Dave

Please help me to understand the reality of the V8.. Looking to upgrade from a Liberty
    diesel to the H3 and we really want the V8...Can you order it, anymore info. would be
    most appreciated. Who could confirm this?

My best,
    ran5
    Don't remember ran5 at any of the crd sites. v8 is from all the hummer sites. The biggest problem is that the h3 was designed for off roading (4.56 gears). Guessing that with a vehicle that feels like home once you sit in it, it's success surprised the general?. Some time back I think I guessed that they would lower (and soften?) the vehicle to appeal to women the way the liberty appealed to women.

I have no inside track. I'm guessing if we see the v8, it will be lowered and no adventure package but with maybe better gearing for highway performance and highway mileage. That's all better_half and most people need. Don't think blue beauty will ever sport rock rails.

H3 fits nicely in the garage and a great turning radius. I like a simple engine. I6 is a nice engine but h3 got the I5. Our v6 malibu is simple under the hood. I like to see the ground as well as a motor when I lift a hood. I like push rods that just lope along. I like the stroke to be bigger than the bore...
  • 4burb4burb Member Posts: 55
    Just the messenger here but according to my Car and Driver magazine that came this week the 2008 H3 Alpha edition will come with a version of GMs 5.3 V8. The Alpha edition is Hummer's performance line according to the article and in this case should have about 275 HP. Also according to the article should be arriving this summer.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Go HERE, select your country and make sure you allow pop-ups, then click on 'The 2008 H3 Alpha' or the 'Photo Gallery' for information and pics of the 'new' V8.
This discussion has been closed.