Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35

Comments

• Options
    johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    I think in the road and track test the G beat the tl-s in all acceleration #'s...and one of te two braking #'s. Somehow it eveb beat the lexus at like 0-120 or somethign weird like that. Maybe the IS went into some super high overdrive and lost it's spunk. If you look at that page..the G is INCREDIBLY quiet inside...more so than the lexus. At all but full throttle...and since the G has a nice growl...who cares anbout that ! !
    Last post the link took the "." and messed it up. here you go : http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/02073car.pdf
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Here we go again... why do they insist on comparing cars when some have 6mt, and others are Autos?
    I know the IS350 only comes in Auto, but why not let all 3 run this way, just for the sake of having a level playing field.
    And I've read some comparos which find the G equipped with the Auto being faster in it's 0-60 times than the 6MT anyway.

As this report states, the TL-S and the G both required finesse to get good times, where the IS had a Floor-It and Go approach.

These meatheads need to stop the Apple-to-Orange comparisons and level the test playing field.
  • Options
    Know whats funny..girlfriend and jumped in the backseat of the G and instantly realized how much lower it is than the TL..despite the little "Cheater" hump for your head. And gas mileage sucks...sucks to the point where I wouldn't be surprised to see a lawsuit (Remember when mazda got sued over hp on the rx8?) Last year I kept telling my friends (Lots of car heads) that I didn't know what car to get...TL is the most car for the money...period...prob sub legacy being close second...Avalon too boring. 335 and IS waaaaaaaay overpriced. I was gonna go used (S4, M45), but they really pulled off a lot with the G, and I think it shoul be on anyone's short list looking in this segment. TL, of course also !!!!!
  • Options
    darrenwdarrenw Member Posts: 23
    To me interior noises isnt really an issue nor gadgetry.

But I am talking about a RWD that always always outperform any FWD (I mean any fwd). Unless the TL uses the SH-AWD, to me this is outrageous.

My colleague's TL'04 is an auto and my G too. But it seems the rwd loses more power in the auto than it should be in a fwd.

I know he has to turn off the TL's stability thing when it comes to acceleration. I can beat him with that thing on but not when its off. Thanks to the Injen cold air intake.

Bad mpg, tell me about it. :sick:
  • Options
    Wow, I'm surprised he beat you. My TL was same way..friggin TCS would kick in in a second....ruin all the fun. At least on the TL it could be completely disabled..unlike the G. Mine was 04 auto also and I have to say (At risk of offending TL guys), 07G is much much faster in acceleration. Haven't raced my friend's 05 A-spec 6mt though...I would imagine I won't have too much trouble with him either...Sport model has LSD.
  • Options
    I think fwd was originally created for efficiency...both in power loss and amount of parts involved putting down the power. Prob side benfit of traction...although with all the computers these days that benefit is prob negated on this class of car. As long as it can be put down...equal powered cars (Crankshaft HP), the fwd would prob win in acceleration. That new mazdaspeed3 thing is really fast. As is a neon (Uggghh) srt-4.
  • Options
    With the 07G, it should outrun the TL. 5.4 secs for manual is really fast. Do you know the number for the auto?

My G is definitely slower than the new 07G. Is your's a coupe or a sedan?

Does it get any better with the 07 (mpg wise)?
  • Options
    Better? lol I think it gets worse. Notice rpms in top gear on that comparo...that, and the obesely fat midrang suck a lot of gas. I've seen 5.6 with a 13.9 1/4 mile for the auto. I believe it. I think I've seen as low as like 5.2 for the stick though. I have 4 Door Sport. 07 coupe is still same engine. From what I've been reading 07 4 door is fastest G ever made..including all the coupes.
  • Options
    neon, tell me about it. Usually they are everywhere and always hanging on my tail. I hate that when it happens.

The single small and ugliest thing on earth that could follow you around. Especially in downtown Chicago.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    You do realize (maybe you don't) that if you're looking for pure acceleration (and that seems to be your focus after reading a few of your hundreds of posts) there are many other cars out there faster and less expensive than a G35?

Shoot - a stock Mustang GT will beat the G35, save you $10,000, and won't vibrate over 100 mph.

I thought people were buying these cars mainly for reasons other than the 0-60 times.
  • Options
    I remember yeeeeeeaaaaaars ago one magazine tested the auto AND stick versions of supra TT, rx7 TT, corvette, hmmm maybe 300Z TT? not sure on that. It was interesting to see the differences...they did acceleration and lap times. Corvette (If I recall correctly) was faster 0-60 in auto (LOTS of torque), the rest I think were all faster in stick. Rx7, with it's lack or torque, was a horrendous dog in auto...ROCKED in 5 sp though.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about lack of torque, my G35 has more torque than any TL.

Not so optimistic about racing against a manual fwd, I have read that the G lacks about 0.5 to 0.7 secs compared to its manual(old G thou). But its good to know that the 07G manual is 0.3-0.5 secs faster than the old one.
  • Options
    I believe they are performance sedans...no? Acceleration is a part of performance...no? Prob the most enjoyed, at least on the street, part of any car's performance. What car exactly vibrates over 100? I've had this thing to 137 and it's butter smooth. And posts are like TV...no one is forcing you to read them.
  • Options
    I don't understand the vibration comment either.
    Not only does my G not vibrate (at any speed), but I haven't heard of any others complaining either. :confuse:

Oh... and let's not speak of the Neon in this forum again, huh?
    I'm trying to hold my breakfast down, if you don't mind.
  • Options
    hausshauss Member Posts: 169
    Yes, I'd say these are performance sedans. Or maybe a better way to state it is that the buyers of cars in this segment for the most part expect some level of performance along with the creature comforts. I agree with you too that for the most part acceleration is the one performance aspect that most drivers enjoy. However, to leadfoot's point, there are many cars out there these days that are quicker than ELLPS. Heck, I think the whole brake torquing thing or dropping the clutch at mid-range RPMs is very unrealistic for the driving population. scottm123 is right that the auto publications have grossly misjudged their performance testing. I think better ways to emulate how a person is going to drive their car is mimicking passing times at highway speeds (but drop this top gear crap because who does that?). One place that seems to me to have the most sound testing procedures is Consumer Reports. I know you can't always follow their recommendations but if you ever get a subscription and read up on their testing procedures they far outdue the other auto publications in terms of keeping things honest.
  • Options
    danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    R&T : A high amount of vibration resonates through the 6-speed manual gearbox, and the take-up point of the clutch is like an on/off switch, making it nearly impossible to leave the line smoothly

May be this remark?
  • Options
    I've always liked consumer reports...I like that they rate cars two ways...as in recommended for performance, then recommended in the big picture (Reliabilty considered). I think leadfoot makes no sense as the 0-60 talks were only in the recent day. My original TL Vs G post had nothing to do with 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed, etc...someone countered with track times...and here we are. I'm a motorcycle person also..and have always thought the top-gear tests were ridiculous...like you said..who does that? Especially in a motorcycle geared for 180-190....do you really expect it to move fast from 60-80? That being said...I wouldn't buy a slow car...period...not in this price range. As for the vibrations, it was on the 6spd..and it didn't seem to have anything to do with speed. A little weird...one magazine said BMW could learn form the G's 6 spd....few others tore it apart. Since mine is auto...I really don't care!!
  • Options
    P.S. If I wanted a well-built, nicely done sedan that can't get out of it's own way....I'd get a GS300. Thankfully (For them), lexus saw fit to put the motor of the avalon in it and give it some balls.
  • Options
    The 6MT vibration was just that, a vibration in the shift and it could also be felt in the clutch pedal.
    It has nothing to do with the car itself vibrating, at 120 or any other speed.
  • Options
    I wonder if infinti might have some QC issues (kinda like my memory seats not holding and my oil-line trans modification on my early release 04TL). At any rate...here is car and driver:

We took our test car to the track, where it hunkered down and dashed to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds, covering the quarter-mile in 13.9 seconds at 103. Hmm, that is swell, and considerably quicker than the last G35 we tested (0 to 60 in 5.9 seconds and the quarter in 14.6 at 98 mph) as well as just a blink behind the IS350. More impressive still, our G35 tester went to the track with fewer than 250 miles on the odo. That’s like putting an Olympic sprinter in the starting blocks in his street clothes. What’ll it do with a proper break-in? We look forward to finding out.

The power feeds through a six-speed manual gearbox that’s the personification of precise engagement — it makes BMW’s 3-series manual transmissions seem rubbery — to a limited-slip rear end and thence to the pavement via a set of 245/45-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires.
  • Options
    LOL! It's funny when you think about it really. A 3600 lb car with leather seats, blue tooth phone, a hard drive to store music, a moonroof, dual climate control, power seats, etc. doing 5.2 seconds 0-60 and 13.9 seconds in the 1/4 miles is ridiculous. That's faster than 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS454 that barely has power steering and doesn't even have a cup holder!

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/chevrolet-chevelle/chevrolet-chevelle-hi- story.shtml

Plus, the G (or any other ELLPS) will outcorner the crap out of it.

Oh, and John, you'll be happy to note the Lexus GS does have some cohones now that they dropped the IS350 engine in it. A month ago I leased an '07 GS350 for my fiance and we just passed the break in period. I'm anxious to give her a workout but even without that I've seen that thing has some giddy up.
  • Options
    Wow...those #'s are nuts....427 kicked [non-permissible content removed]....LS6 I would guess needed some slicks Radials = molten rubber lol
    Oh yeh new GS350 kinda makes the 430 less appealing. That friggin toyota 3.5 is a beast...did you see the RAV4 running like 6.6 or something 0-60? Imagine getting beaten by a rav for in your big-block chevelle (396, anyway).
    I was kinda partial to the 455SD trans am myself...I like a car that can at least TRY to turn lol
  • Options
    Are you talking about that 1970 Trans Am? That was a slick looking hot rod there. Pre-bird on the hood. LOL! I actually liked that and the 1970 Camaro better than the golden '67 - '69. But it's just crazy to think how things have changed from the dog days of 1970s and 1980s cars. Nothing much was very exciting back then (at least to me) and now cars outperform those old American Muscle cars routinely. I wonder what the skip pad and slalom numbers would be on that Chevelle? Probably like .61g adn 48 mph.
  • Options
    I think it was like 73 or 74..small firechicken...big blocked that turned like 6000 + RPMs (In SD trim). Love the camaros also. It is kind of amazing when you look back. There are people running 12s or so in daily driver civics these days...what the heck is that about? lol
  • Options
    Right...with a four banger getting 30 mpg to boot! What do you think that 1970 Chevell SS454 got for gas mileage? Maybe 9 mpg?
  • Options
    Right right....9 mpg down a really long hill. I think once the secondaries (Good old carbs) opened up those things were just dumping fuel ! hmmm I think I should get one for weekends lol
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    reminiscing...laughing...not a care in the world...ahh, to be young again...Diet Pepsi, anyone? :P :P
  • Options
    Diet pepsi don't go well with my heart/kidney/blood pressure meds!!!
  • Options
    givingmy2centsgivingmy2cents Member Posts: 1
    ??? I currently own a 2007 6 Speed TL-S. Other than the need to finess a 1st gear launch (I used to Open Road Race a 630 Horse Mustang, RWD!!), this car is FAST! We've clocked a best of 5.4 sec. 0-60 with the factory JUNK tires. Not a FWD fan but I have ran down so far two new G-35's as we passed 90-100 MPH. The car handles with "Press you up against the door" handling. I think most of the new sport sedans out right now are great vehicles... I went for the TL's reliability, roominess, and styling.
  • Options
    chuteboxeruleschuteboxerules Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone else here think the G35 is a bit narrow. If I recall correctly, it's 2.5 inches narrower than the TL. It is also slightly more narrow than the BMW 3 coupe. Why did Nissan make this infiniti this way?
  • Options
    kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    Which measurement are you using? mirror to mirror? wheels, body?
  • Options
    Def tighter inside than my old TL. Looks even thinner from the rear view (Tail tapers). Total interior volume is higher per kbb (A lot more front headroom). Trunk is actually bigger, but TL has better opening so it seems bigger when you try to load. Not sure why they are so thin..but I sat in (Didn't bother driving based on interior and price) a 335 and it def seemed thinner. Oddly enough, the 335 coupe seemed to have more front seat room than the sedan.
  • Options
    Oddly enough (Maybe because of fwd), my knee used to rub on the TL's console right on the aluminum trim piece. After a few years of this, it developed a light noise if you pushed there even lightly. G I have more leg & knee room in. I'm 6'2, 220. My [non-permissible content removed] is kinda wide for the sport seat though!!!!
  • Options
    I think most coupes tend to have more front seat room than their sedan counterpart.
  • Options
    chuteboxeruleschuteboxerules Member Posts: 3
    I was using the info provided by the manufacturer's technical specs. I think they're measuring body, not mirror to mirror. But I'm not sure. Anyway, here's the comps: (these #'s can be found in yahoo cars or kbb.com)

Make ........ Width

Infin G35= 69.8 inches
    BMW 335= 70.2
    Lexus IS= 70.9
    Acura TL= 72.2

Are there any advantages to being that slim other than parking? I personally prefer lower & wider profile cars for more stability when cornering hard.
  • Options
    factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    Wanna know what the new TL will look like?

Get a load of the new accord:
    http://www.vtec.net/news/news-image?image=679080/08accord_sedanbp-04.jpg

:sick:
  • Options
    factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    If Acura built a 310 HP RWD TL that looked like this, I'd buy it!

http://www.carview.co.jp/tms/2005/just/honda_sport_4_c/images/01_l.jpg
  • Options
    ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    right......because the current TL and Accord look sooooo much alike.....
  • Options
    dleshinedleshine Member Posts: 2
    I have both of these cars. First, the TL is far roomier, and far better interior quality. More seat room, front and back. The infiniti is higher, and narrower. I'm always bumping my arm into the armest trying to get to the window controls. Having the seat controls as part of the seat, is a great place to spill coffee. The infinit inerior it definitely cheaper. Granted I love the Infiniti for speed, and AWD. However, in 2009, the AcuraTL will have AWD. I've had many folks in the AcuraTL that say they love the ride. It's a tough choic.
  • Options
    vegasflyervegasflyer Member Posts: 4
    LOL, that is so classic. BMW's windshield wipers going off in sunny day whenever it wants to... So he has to turn on the spray to mask he's not crazy...

Or how about back mirror on convertible gets stuck, and you have to bang it to work? It happened to co-worker's sister's BMW.
  • Options
    You apparently have the Old G...ie cheap interior...seat controls on console side (What a stupid idea). This forum is 07 Vs 07.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Do you think you could fit in that car? Or should I say could you climb out of it once you were in it?
  • Options
    G won't let you run "Recirculate" without having the AC on...unlike TL. I have allergies and always use recirc for the pollen filters onboard. G doesn't harass you into putting on your seatbelt...unlike TL. Actually all Hondas lately. I'm one of those idiots that thinks I should be free in my car to be stupid. I also like sharp knives in my home and the freedom to run with scissors if I feel like it ! ! Oh yeh, I miss leaving the TL lights on and turning them on/off locking/unlocking with the remote. G has auto headlights though....so I guess that one is a draw.
  • Options
    Having a bad day? (LOL)
    Since you're starting a tear session here... I'll add one.

Who's the genius that thinks that Fog Lights should only be used when the headlights are On???

What they install these days are not even fogs and should not carry the name... they're driving lights.
    Fog Lights should be Amber in color (Removing Blue from light spectrum) and they should be pointed outward slightly, toward the curb.
    They should be able to work without the headlights, as the headlights just drown out what the fogs are trying to accomplish.

I love my car, don't get me wrong... but the fog lights in the 07 G are a complete joke.
    I can't even determine if they are on without checking the console or switch.
  • Options
    billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    They were a joke on the 04-05 TL has well.
  • Options
    Too much pollen in the morning ! !
    It's funny....I had a very early release 04 tl..and I used to ALWAYS get flashed from people thinking I had my high beams on since the fogs were beside the mains. The 03's were down real low and ALWAYS broke. I saw the new TL has smaller (Less of a rock target) ones down low..I wonder how durable they are. I agree...fog shmog..these things should be called "Really close in front of you" lights ! !
  • Options
    billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    I had the 03 Type S for four years and never broke a fog light.All i did was highway driving.
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I also like sharp knives in my home and the freedom to run with scissors if I feel like it ! !

You type pretty well for a guy with only 3 fingers!!!!
  • Options
    Don't most guys only use 2 to type? :P
  • Options
    I think that depends on who you're typing to ! !
    I had an 03 Type S and in 10 months and 24K miles (Highway mostly), I broke both fog lights. I have a friend who had an 02 reg TL...went through 2-3 in like 3 years. I figured them moved them up in the headlight pod for just that reason. That being said...this is NJ, and they are building houses on any lot big enough to hold a few cars...so maybe the constant construction vehicles had something to do with it. I also caught a rock in the windshield from a dump truck once.
This discussion has been closed.