Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    We broke one on my wife's past car, the 00 Accord EX.
    I replaced it ($ :surprise: $) and within a few years, both looked horribly sand blasted.

I understand the mentality of moving them up, but they no longer function as foglights should once moved into that location.
  • h55h55 Member Posts: 1
    No fog lights were offered on the '03 CL. Some folks managed to fit the '02 lights in an '03. Did you do that?
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    It was a TL, like the forum says. And I CLEARLY had fog lights. But thanks for having me elaborate on my own memory/honesty, just in case I had nothing better to do than lie in an edmunds forum.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No one was implying you were lying. h55 is a new member and maybe just wasn't clear on what we were talking about here. Lighten up a bit. :)
    Sorry..i've grown used to fans of one car attacking proponents of the other...as if one is great, so the other must suck. Plus, my coffee was barely in me!!!
    You're a fan of a car???
    Which one :mad: :mad: :mad:

:P
    NEON ! ! BRIGHT YELLOW EVEN ! !
    Yeah... I'm also a big fan of cars with lousy crash test results!
    Ouch....love the personalized tags....I hope the airbags did their job.
    Actually, I believe that pic was from a test.
    I wouldn't post a nasty crash like that if someone had possibly been hurt.

But... didn't hold up well, huh?
    I believe this was a mosquito hit, from the side, at 15 mph. :P
    Had to be at LEAST a dragonfly. Personalized plates...don't look like a test Neon Chic?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Did you folks get lost on your way to the TL/G35 comparo? ;)
    LOL

We were just taking a break! :)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Kids...they are so frustrating! Why can't they all be as well-behaved as me? :P :blush:
    Back to the topic at hand. While the G has a MUCH better bluetooth interface for the cell phone, the mic on the speakerphone is MUCH clearer on the TL. I've talked to plenty of the same people who I used to talk to with the TL, and they all confirm. Can't have it all I guess ! !
  • crimmerscrimmers Member Posts: 3
    I think I'm leaning towards the TL with Nav. I already have a Magellan GPS in my old car, but it seems like the built in Nav system adds a lot to the car. Any comments on whether this is worth it? Also, how does the Acura Nav compare to products like Magellan or Garmin? Are there a lot of businesses listed in the database?

Also, when I test drove the G35, the Nav system and the bluetooth phone system seemed to turn off most of the features when I started to drive, which was really annoying. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to try this on the TL. Can anyone confirm whether the TL Nav system or bluetooth system turn off any features when you start driving? Thanks!
    I think the NAV is a waste of money on the TL..not enough extra features for the 2K, plus a 1% lower resid, plus one symbol higher on your insurance (Diff VIN sequence on navi models). On the G, on the other hand, they make you get it to get the on-board hard drive with the stereo...which is an INCREDIBLE feature. I'm waiting for a soft-hack for the disabling once moving feature as it's very irritatiing. There isn't really a function that you can't do with the steering wheel or voice command buttons though. If you're purchasing, keep in mind TL is about to be redone...and that spells bad news on your short-term resale. If you're leasing, verify the resid is lower (It was in 04 when I debated) on the TL with the NAV. All said and done (INS included), NAV was gonna cost me $50/month on the TL Lease...no thanks.
  • tl_2007stl_2007s Member Posts: 34
    I think NAV on the TL is a beautiful feature. It compliments car's overall luxury and joy of ride. In my experience it has been very accurate and helpful. Just imagine...no more maps to shuffle in the car or stopping to ask for directions. Insurance cost mentioned is overrated. Ask your insurance rep to make sure, but difference, if any, would be minimal. And you cannot wait for that next year's version all the time. Today's SF Chronicle has a nice write-up on TL-S. read it at www.sfgate.com
  • crimmerscrimmers Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the insights. Still, no one answered whether the TL's Nav system turns off when you start to drive, like the G35 does. Can someone speak to that?

Also, if I'm going to get a TL Nav system anyway, do people think I should get the TL-S? The thing is, I was worried that the suspension might be a little too tight on the S. My girlfriend, who I drive a lot, likes a pretty comfortable ride, and I was afraid we might feel the road a bit too much on the S. I only test drove the standard TL.

Thanks!
  • castelinocastelino Member Posts: 26
    So I won't bias everyone by saying what I bought, but I drove the following - G35 Journey, Sport, Journey with wheel package, TL, and TL-S.

My overall observation is that the Acura is far more refined in the way its features are implemented. The voice recognition works amazingly well on the TL - head and shoulders above the G35. The drive on the TL is fine, but the torque steer on the type-S is too much, as are the low profile tires - makes the ride too harsh in my opinion. I took the cars down the same twisty road and the front drive just doesn't handle the same as a rear-drive. That brings me to the advantage the G35 has.

The G35 is much better drive than the TL. It handles better, it's faster (or feels faster). Even the sport model, which used to be harsh, has a reasonably compliant ride over the bumps. The interior of the G35 isn't as nice as the TL, although the available features are greater.

Net net - better or worse as a whole depends on your priorities. Do you want a driving car with nicely executed interior or do you want a beautifully executed interior with a nice driving behavior? That's the tradeoff - it's tough but just think about what puts a bigger smile on your face.
  • chuteboxeruleschuteboxerules Member Posts: 3
    Good post. I also test drove the G35 Sport and TL and TL-S. The ride on the TL-S really didn't feel harsh to me. It felt the same as the regular TL actually except for cornering. The TL-S had very little body roll in the turns.

I agree the TL's interior felt more refined, but the G35 was more fun to drive.
    and....despite it being well into its current life cycle, the TL (especially in TL-S guise), is still the looker of the two.
    Well design is a personal taste - but I'd never pick honda styling over Nissan styling - the Acura is way to conservative. I love the curves on the Infiniti.
    True. Design is a personal taste. Nissan's styling efforts have been hit and miss. More the latter than the former. You say conservative, I say timeless.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Indeed, beauty is in the eye. To this eye, the TL is a beauty: handsome, aggressive with some nice detailing. I like the '07 restyle of the G, but to me it turned a 7 into a 7.5. While the TL is a 9...! :D

And I judge style on the individual auto, as opposed to a whole line, e.g. while I give the TL a 9, I only give the TSX a 7. The TSX is handsome enough, but totally generic. It just blends.

To each. :shades:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    no one answered whether the TL's Nav system turns off when you start to drive, like the G35

It doesn't turn off - it's fully-functional while driving
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Well design is a personal taste - but I'd never pick honda styling over Nissan styling - the Acura is way to conservative. I love the curves on the Infiniti.

I'm w/ you on this...never like honda/acura design. Infiniti > Lexus > Acura
    Other than the TL, I'm too crazy about current Acura styling. But you evidently have not seen the current Infiniti and Lexus, because the IS and LS sedans blow away any and all Infiniti sedans.
  • darrenwdarrenw Member Posts: 23
    There is no way Lexus styling is better than acura, interior maybe.

The only car that can beat the TL in term of styling is G35 coupe only, not even the sedan. Did some opinion sample before and after buying the car. Having said that, styling has never been an issue to me. TL does not offer a RWD handling and G35's unique roaring sound.

I read that all Acura line will receive a SH-AWD with at least 300 hp (even the civic sized TSX gets a 300hp engine). To me that is more troubling than just styling issue. These car manufacturers just don't stop unlike the old days, it makes me wanna lease instead of buying. :sick:
    Well as I said before, styling is a very personal thing - I forgot to mention that I drove the IS 350 during my shopping also. I do agree that the styling is far superior to the TL, but I wouldn't say it's any better than the G35, different but not better. That said, the anemic rear seat room makes it a non-starter for me.

The IS was the first Lexus I had driven and after all the talk about how great the fit and finish is on Lexus cars I will say that I was disappointed. The cabin dome light in the front looked cheap and the trim in the car didn't look all that great. Drives really nicely though.
    45K + miles on 04 TL, and 2K on new G. Unless they revised the voice recognition, the G's is MUCH more accurate. Maybe each works better with different voices though. G offers a learning mode where you actually read back what's on the screen to taylor it to your voice. As for the NAV, my $250 mio got me everywhere and anywhere I wanted to go without any problems, and could be shuffled between our 4 vehicles in 10 seconds. If you have more than 1 car, NAV in only one seems sorta wasteful. One thing that is CLEARLY in the TL's advantage is highway mileage. Just got back from same trip done many times in TL (Auto). 80ish mph average on 120 mile trip used to net high 20's, low 30's in the TL. I just got 22.2. That is nuts. On the drive home, with radar-cruise at 80 and an even 70mph average (Reset on the highway), I got 25.2. That same scenario on the acrua would have netted at least 32mpg. If you do frequent highway trips, the G is prob not your car. Although at high speeds it is quieter and more planted than the (Non-S at least) TL.
    Payment diff on NAV model is accurate, but I am in NJ, and we pay through the nose for insurance. I would never wait for "Next years version" all the time, But with the competition out there, TL can be expected to come out swinging VERY hard next year.
  • jkm900jkm900 Member Posts: 18
    I drove bot the 2007 TL and Gx before finally deciding on the TL. I think the interior of the G is cheap looking and the interior seems cramped. I had the seat all the way back and my knees were still in the dash an I'm only 6'2. It was a fun car to drive though. I didn't like the weird CVT transmission at all. It was laggy and seemed to shift in the wrong places. The TL is smoother and frankly better looking in my opinion...guess that's why I bought one :)
    It's not a CVT in the G though.
    I was thinking he drove an altima to tell you the truth. I'm 6'2 220lbs and fit more than fine...and the G shifts like a serious perfomance sedan.
    Interesting comments on the TL NAV, I found the TL to be better with natural speech than the G. The G seemed to require you to say the commands in the right way. With the TL I was able to say "find the nearest ATM" and it worked. With the G if I said that it got all confused.

You're absolutely right on the mileage - but you don't get the performance/driving experience in the TL that you get in the G.
    I'm sorry....I was referring to TL's voice rec on the bluetooth phone which I used extensively. I was assuming (Perhaps incorrectly) that the nav system ran off the same voice rec core software. Did you try the "Learning mode" in the G? I found that pretty smart to offer that as a way to tailor the software to your particular pronounciations/inflections. Good stuff. TL I would sometimes wind up dialing the # on the phone, killing the call, then saying "Redial". When the fan was on high it seemed to mix up numbers terribly. G can be dialed with touch-screen, steering wheel buttons, voice command, or even using the phone itself...it will automatically x-fer without the audible "Transfer" command as in the TL. Phone book is also clearly visible like tracks on a CD. Head and shoulders above the acura. I LOVE IT.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I think the interior of the G is cheap looking and the interior seems cramped.

I found the 06 G35's interior too narrow. I sat in the TL and swam in the extra room. It was close to being a coin flip for me between the two, but I bought a TL, savored the extra room, and saved a few bucks.

I checked out the 07 G - I really liked that car - but it too was too narrow. Moving the window controls to the door didn't increase the width of the cockpit.
    "TL I would sometimes wind up dialing the # on the phone, killing the call, then saying 'Redial'. When the fan was on high it seemed to mix up numbers terribly."

I have an 06 MDX and I find that the voice recognition is about 60-70% accurate, but if that climate control fan is on, it almost never works.

In the G, if the fan is on and I hit the voice button, it lowers the fan until I'm done speaking.

Someone was thinking! :blush:
    Def a nice touch on the fan quieter. The bluetooh phone integration in the MDX is pretty bad. Friend of mine has one (05 I think). It's much better in the TL, as it was designed for it...it was just sorta "Tossed" into the mdx.
    I'm not a huge fan of the voice recognition in the MDX.
    It seems to work flawlessly for me when I'm alone, but never works when showing it off to others.
    Also, if I have other people in the car, it's useless if they are also speaking.

But... the Bluetooth Phone in the 06 is fantastic.
    Everyone I have spoken to say it's the clearest call they have heard... as clear as if speaking from home.
    Maybe they did some work to improve it in 06, but I like it alot.

I like it in the G as well, but not as much.
    People say I sound clear, but that it has a speaker phone like sound to it.
    I don't get that in the MDX.
    Oh yeh..the acura def sounds clearer. I meant more the on-screen caller ID, and the screen to confirm the # that you dialed (Verbally) before you call it. My friends MDX doesn't seem to have that. I've heard the same with the G...sounds less clear than TL when I talk to the same people in the same sitation. Isn't it fun telling people in the car "Ssssssshhhhhhhh" I'm dialing !!
  • rmcneicermcneice Member Posts: 20
    Well I just compared the TL to the ES350 to the G35x and wound up buying the G. I was really sold on the Lexus but after a second test drive the wife convinced me that I needed something sportier. The Lexus is noce, but too much like driving the sofa. Her exact words were, "you're still too young for this car" (I'm 48).

As for the Acura, I agree that styling is in the eyes of the beholder, but the TL was way behind the other 2 in that regard (inside and out). It looks like a Camery to me. I never did get to drive the thing. Every time I went to the dealer they didn't have a test car to drive (3 trips). It made me seriously wonder where all of their cars were. So I passed based on a frustration factor as well as a style preference.

The G is way sportier than either of the other 2 though, both in looks and performance (TL test drive not withstanding).

Enjoy,
    Bob
    Good choice ! !
    IS350 is really the comparison car and is friggin fast!!! Very small inside though and priced way high. Although the TL-S seems to perform better in some situations, you would never know it from behind the wheel. Reg TL can't compete in sportiness...not even close.
    Well that's great that you drove the ES 350, it's interesting you make the age comment, because when I drove the Acura RL I had the similar thought. What really made the case difficult is that the RL can be had for within $2K or less of the fully loaded G35. So it was a tough choice - the RL has such refinement on the interior but those tiny buttons drove me crazy on the center stack. Also the ride was grandma like compared to the G35 (sorry if I offend any racing grandma's out there).

My buddy has an ES350 and he described the ride as more sedan'ish or squishy as compared to the TL/IS/G class of cars. Plus it's front wheel drive - and after driving RWD for 10 years I just can't go back.

Oh well, glad you got the G. I did too and it's a sweet ride.
    Being a long time Honda/Acura guy, I wanted VERY VERY VERY much to like the RL, considering they are giving them away. I drove one back-to-back with an M45. RL felt like a high-tech towncar, sure was quiet at about 80mph though. At any rate...M is kinda overpriced and new G has better stereo and is a tad faster. M rear end seems oddly large and out of place. G it was.
    What really made the case difficult is that the RL can be had for within $2K or less of the fully loaded G35.

My fully loaded G35x came in just under $40K
    A loaded RL at my local Acura dealer is $55K

I know a lot of Acura dealers are throwing RLs out to buyers for less than Invoice, but my dealer wouldn't hear of it.
    I had an RL offer with everything but the CMBS for 41K before TTL - so you can see where it was close to a fully loaded G35S. Within a few K.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    The diff btn 55k and 41k is 14k!!! With that kind of savings, you can fly out to the dealer that gives you the best price and drive your new RL home. :) The loaded RL is definitely a better buy than the G35x, which is only $1k cheaper.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    The same car was offered to me for 43K, I want to pull the plug on either the RL or the GS350 but the I am waiting to see the next generation of acuras.
This discussion has been closed.