Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35

Comments

• johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    The RL makes the GS seem sporty. RL is quirky looking, while GS is absolutely beautiful. Few more years for RL to be redone though...the last model ran with relatively mild updates for 9 years. That being said, my friend got one sans tech package for like 42K. I was VERY tempted....but, despite all the high-tech, it really is geared toward non-enthusiasts. Now the the GS has the 3.5 motor in it...it's prob class leader. M35 is a nice package in the middle of the two...if the large [non-permissible content removed]-end doesn't bother you.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    M35- totally agree with you, personally I dont like Infiniti products, I think they age badly, well apart from the 1st generation Q.I tested both the RL and GS back to back and found the RL a better handling car than the GS.I have always liked GS ever since I saw it for the 1st time back in 1997 NYC working on my first job out of college. As I said, right now I am sitting back and watching what the Manufacturers have to offer for the upcoming year.
    PS- I hate the standard wheels on the GS 350, not to mention the tires-225 on a car of this calibre, it should be 245 all the way around.
    I drove the last gen GS (400 not 430) a while ago...it seeemed to handle not far off of a 5 series. I can't believe they put 225's on a car that big...Is there a sport package or something? Driving current gen M45Sport was a BLAST ! !
    I never thought that way about infiniti, but I think I agree...they don't age very well. I nearly bought a certified current gen Q, The interior (Dash especially) just seemed so weird. I enojy a comforming interior, not conforming to an interior. Last Gen G's was pretty bad...new one is great. I don't think anyone touches lexus in that aspect though.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    They don't age well because Nissan/Infiniti's styling tends to be quirky, non-cohesive, and overstyled.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Absolutely, and at 41K, it would have been on my short list of contenders as well.
    My wife LOVES the RL and really was hoping that I went that route, but she respected any decision I made.
    She was hoping for Luxury over Sport, and I wanted Sport over Luxury and ended up with the G.
    At 41K, I would have really considered the RL, but I wanted the 07 RL with Technology, CMBS and PAX packages.
    Dealer wanted 53K and change and after taxes and who knows what else, it was right around 55K.

Even with them not selling very well, I could not get them to come down on models with CMBS at all.
    That's why I lease : )
    "...but she respected any decision I made."

That's what you think! We're talking about wives here. It's stored in her memory bank for future ammunition.

I can just see it now, "I only want my mother to stay with us for a month, you already got the car you wanted, even though the one I wanted would have been a much smarter choice" :P
    :cry:
    Don't worry ... we're here for you! Us guys have to unite to fight the evil wives! :mad: :P
  • miamishapsmiamishaps Member Posts: 15
    These were the final 2 it came down to. While about 1k cheaper now and about 3-4k after 5 years with the good financing Acura is offering I still went with the G. Everyone and their brother has a TL and the interior of the G is far nicer. With that in mind, go buy a TL so I don't start to see G35s littering the roadways!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • es4jbes4jb Member Posts: 17
    The brakes were a problem on the previous model years but according to Infiniti the brakes were upgraded on the 07 line.
  • kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    (Note: I posted this on the Acura TSX vs. G35 thread and then noticed this thread also).

My wife and I looked at and she test drove an Acura TL and TSX last night (a new car for her). While she and I are both impressed with the Acuras, we also both agree that neither model is like an Infiniti G35. I was surprised to hear her state that she thought the TL was overpriced, considering that a version with a Navigation system comes close to $37K. She feels at that price it puts the TL in the G35 range for a car pricewise, but it does not have that something 'extra' that the G35 has. And the TSX is even much less a comparison. To me, a more real comparison would be the Acura-RL vs. the Infiniti-M series.

I like the Acuras but would not trade my new G35X for one. The G35X feels totally classy to me when I am in it. I thought the Navigation map was much cleaner on the G35. I thought it odd that to get Auto-Headlight-On/Off, you have to get a TL. TSX still has the manual mode.

The one thing that Acura's have that I wish the Infiniti had was DVD-Audio Surround Sound playback capabilities. Not a deal breaker, but a wish-list item.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I've got no dog in this hunt. But, my neighbor just traded his '07 G for a TL-S. His reasons were among the same as some of you state....Acura has more room, more refined, nice interior, etc.

A few years ago, I had a regular TL. I didn't like its FWD handling, which is the reason no longer have it. I don't know what Acura has done in the intervening years, but taking his TL-S for a spin, Acura has done some fine work with the suspension. It handles worlds better than mine ever did....plus, it didn't sacrifice ride quality in doing so. Nice job Acura.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I am a big Acura fan, I had the 03 Type S, I can outright tell you that the current G has grown past the current TLS.The handling is worlds apart so is the quickness.I am waiting (nail biting)anxiously to see Acura's offering with the 2009.
  • lockonlockon Member Posts: 1
    I'm probably weird, but the TL dropped right off my list when the dealer told me the wood (and carbon fiber in S) are "simulated"... ha ha!!! What a joke... if I'm going to spend that kind of money I want real wood.

I drove the G35, TL and TL Type-S back to back. The TL is boring to drive and the TLS seemed to me to be too firm until I drove the G. But, the G brings a lot more to the table in terms of styling inside and out.

Tomorrow I'll drive the M35.
  • rickmeisterrickmeister Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I were torn between the TL-S and the G35S. We chose the Infiniti. Here's why:

The Infiniti G35S outhandles the TL-S; the 07G35 is also now more luxurious and refined than the the TL; the G also has more trunk space than the TL but a more narrow opening; and the front leg room on the G35 is also longer. My wife is tall.

Oh yeah, my wife fell in love with the G35 inside and out. She was unmoved by the exterior of the TL-S and couldn't stand being inside the TL-S. She wouldn't even test drive it. We got a demo G36S 6MT for a full weekend in May and that sealed the deal.

I think the G35 appeals especially to women, that something 'extra' as kb124's wife says. The interior is sexy, comforting and snug without being tight and is, in fact, larger than its competitors, including the TL-S. The G also feels hefty, solid, and safe.

And according to my insurance company, The G35 really is safe. I was shocked that my insurance rates went down with my new purchase.

All that said, if you want a less stiff--more comfortable?--ride, you'll choose the TL-S. If you love to drive a car that really handles, like to feel the road, and want the best value in a sports sedan, you'll choose the G35.

Took delivery of our G35S 6MT in early July. Couldn't be happier.

Can't wait 'til we pass the 1200 mile break in stage, sometime next week on the Taconic Parkway. A kind of heaven.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    Be very cautious of Infiniti reliability! I know, I've owned an 07 M35 and 07 FX35. I've had major problems with both. Currently, the FX35 shakes at speeds over 60 mph and they can't figure it out. The dealer network for service is plain awful and parts take months to get since they come from Japan. The service technicians need a lot more training too. They take things apart then either break them or reassemble them improperly. The service managers are more concerned with profits than customer service so they will cut corners. Watch Infiniti residuals also they drop drastically. Buyer beware!
    For every bad, there's 10 good.

I have an 07 G35 with almost 4,000 miles on it now.
    It's as solid as a rock and by far, the nicest ride I've ever had.

Enjoy.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Check out this new feature and tell us how you feel about sales and/or service experiences at your local dealerships: Dealer Rater.
    All I can say is....to each his own! The old G, style-wise, did absolutely nothing for me. The new one is a definite improvement, but still...it's very non-aggressive. The rounded, used-soap-bar look just isn't my cup of tea.

And if I were to go after sharp-edged performance, the 3-series would still be my 1st choice, due to its unmatched combination of performance and refinement. In that price range, the cost difference between a G Sport and a 335i would almost be inconsequential.
    used-soap-bar look

LOL... I love my G but I have to admit, that was very funny.
    I personaly like the look of the TL and truly hope they don't ruin it in '09.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,731
    While I still think the TL is a great design, the more I see the new G the more I appreciate the subtle exterior style upgrade. Still not as aggressively handsome as the TL, but I think the G restyle turned a 7 into an 8 (earlier I only upgraded the G from 7 to 7.5). Vs. the TL 9... :)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

bodble, I'm with you....my BMW 3 series replaced my TL. All the way around, the BMW is a better car (with the exception of the stereo in the TL...it's one of the best sounding setups in any car I've ever been in). IMHO, the TL is still the styling champ, too...even compared to the BMW.

Not saying the G is bad. They got nailed in the HP wars all too soon (TL is still trailing there..got a boost with the TL-S, though). The IS hit first with the IS 350 (still, way too cramped). Then BMW hit. Now, the G cranked it up this year. The Cadillac CTS will be next to the HP party. Then, finally, the TL in '08 (as an '09 model). You start playing with $40K for a G, the BMW is still the one to beat....for driving dynamics, ride, refinement, quality, fit & finish.

If the TL's redesign goes the way it's being rumored within a year (SH-AWD...300+ HP), they don't play too much with a styling winner and it stays near the price it's at now, it will gather a lot of new friends.
    I didn't mean that in a bad way. What I was trying to say its styling theme is all soft, curvy, rounded corners, etc. Some might say feminine. Like a bar of soap after 2 or 3 showers! :P
  • darrenwdarrenw Member Posts: 23
    I've owned the G for a while now, but lately I have been anxiously watching what Acura will have in store.

IMO there will always be a newer & better car coming (the later usually beats the previous).The fact that TL always comes after the G,3s redesign to me is very troubling. Even with the current design of the TL, the TL-S outran the newly redesigned G35 at willowspring by 2 secs. That usually spoils my interest in talking about cars. And now the rumor "300+hp twin turbo with SH-AWD" :( Its killing me!
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "willowspring by 2 secs"

But everywhere else in the world, the G will eat the TL-S for lunch.
    Apples to orange- wait for the new generation TL and then your statements will be valid.
    I'm already waiting for the next generation 3 series. :)
    darren...you're absolutely right. There's always going to be newer/better right around the corner.

The cars in this category are so good (including the G, TL, 3 Series) it comes down to styling, both in and out, in many cases....sometimes price. The BMW, compared like for like with options, is going to be at the top end price point, followed closely by the IS 350, then the G, with the Acura pulling up the rear, price-wise. Throw the CTS in there somewhere, with all of GM's proverbial rebates and financing specials. I just hope Cadillac got the buggabbos sorted out with their quality and reliability.

You're going to have those who prefer one over the other for reasons outside of performance. They are all just too close in the performance race.

If, indeed, Acura does come out with a TL with 300 HP and SH-AWD, and they keep it in the $37K-$38K MSRP range next year, I might be tempted to dump my BMW....just because out of all those mentioned above, I like the styling of the TL the best. Plus, given recent history, after all the hoopla dies down for a redesigned TL, you should be able to buy one for a decent discount (say purchase price somewhere in the $36K range, all loaded up).

There's a lot of "what ifs" and speculation in the above, though.
    Not to mention if we're talking about leasing, the BMW price disadvantage may be reduced or eliminated.
    kd....as far as I've heard, next up for the 3 Series will be a massage from their "M" dept. Could be wrong, but given the accolades of the current 3, I don't see them changing much in standard issue guise.

I think Infiniti is focusing on the new "G coupe". Don't see much in the way of changes on the sedan.

TL/TL-S is pretty much the same from '07 to '08...big change will be for the '09 MY.

I've got the 330i that's in its 2nd year of sitting in my garage. While it's tempting to go for a 335i, I've never been disappointed in the performance of the 330i. I've absolutely loved my 3 series. I've even learned to like my I-Drive (not nearly as good as the Nav in the TL, though). It took some time to master it and understand the design intent. Build quality and materials in the 3 are superb....compared to the IS (which is very good in its own right), G or the TL.

Looking down the road a bit, I'll probably be in the market again in a couple of years (when the warranty of the 3 is gone). We'll see what all these fine cars have on tap in the '09 time frame.

If I could wish for the perfect car, it would be a 335i with the room of the TL (I guess they'd call that the 5 series, which is more than I want to spend).

That's why the redesign of the TL has peaked my interest. IF Acura can keep it's current style, refinement, feature content and price....while upping the performance quotient (300 HP + SH-AWD), I could very well be a buyer.
    Would you buy the TL in its frst year of the redesign?
    I am actually waiting to just to get peak, I almost signed off on a GS350 but Lexus needs to get the tire size and wheel design right on that car.The G35 was next but after Nissan's press release about an upgraded interior and Sport Package for 2008, I have decided to wait it out.
    I think you need to pull the trigger....or else you would be forever looking and waiting. Afterall, they always promise something better the next year. It's like waiting to buy a computer at the best price.
  • slzweibelslzweibel Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2004 TL - 1st year for the redesign - has many little squeaks and noises that drive me crazy that Acura has not been able to (or willing to) find or fix. For this reason I would be hesitant to get a first year redesign car again. Will be out of my lease in October and am looking at either the TL-S, the G35x sedan, or possibly a 3 (xi) series. I think the 3-series is too small and everyone has one (some say because it is the best car out there). The 5 series is gorgeous but a little above my price range. I am worried about G35 reliability but most of what I read states that the 2007 car is more reliable than in past years. The TL-S seems like a great car for the $$$ but I might be looking for more of a change from my 04 TL. In the end it will probably come down to test driving each car along with $$$. In 04 when I test drove the G35 back to back with the TL it was an easy decision for me to choose the TL. Any comments???
    billy....I don't subscribe to the theory that first year cars somehow are worse than subsequent years production. This is particularly true with Honda products. GM? Ford? I may be a little more suspect.

Even at that, I bought one of the first redesigned Mustang GTs to hit my 'burg in '05. It was perfect. Sold it 9 months late for more than I paid for it, too (bought it under Ford's employee plan).

Quality control, for all manufacturers, has become so good in recent years, I don't worry too much about first year buggaboos. I do feel that there is still a gap in engineering prowess between GM, Ford and the likes of BMW and Acura/Honda. American makes still are suffering from the hangover of being designed with the least cost in mind. They're getting better. They just haven't caught up, from an engineering standpoint, to Honda/Toyota/BMW.

I see some of that same cost cutting in Nissan/Infinit products. They're getting better. But, IMHO, Honda/BMW are still the benchmarks. Even mighty Toyota has slipped a bit in this regard.

I tried to buy an IS 350 when I was shopping for the BMW 3. While, I do think Lexus is getting closer to my definition of a sport sedan, they aren't there, yet. GSs are nice cars. But, given the price point, I'd pick a 5 series over the GS. Like you've found out, Lexus just sort of slightly misses the mark with their products, every time I consider purchasing one.

I've tried to buy Infinitis several times. For one reason or another, there was always something out there at their price point I liked better.

I thought my previous TL was top notch when it came to build, features and materials. I tried to convince myself that I wouldn't notice the handling differences with FWD. Maybe that bothers me more than most. Maybe I drive my cars harder than most. But, it bothered me so much, I sold it and got the BMW. If the TL-S was available when I was in the market, I may have had a different experience. I think Acura has done a wonderful job massaging the suspension.

If the '09 TL ends up being what's been rumored, it will be the perfect time for me to give it another look. My BMW will be out of warranty, and I'll be in the market, again.

I like the G. I just don't love it. That doesn't make it a bad car. They keep improving it. That's a good thing. I liked my TL. I love my BMW. If my TL had the SH-AWD when it first came out, I would have kept it.

The 335i is a great car (as is my 330i). Problem there is, to get a 335i all loaded up, like I like them, the car creeps towards mid $40s and beyond. I'm assuming Acura has learned their lesson with the RL....that is, it's one thing to stuff a lot of tech into a car. It's quite another making all that tech to be greater than the sum of its parts (like the TL does).

As has been Honda's recent moves, every new redesign of their products offers better and more, for about the same price. If the '09 TL does come in at the '08 TL-Ss price, with 300 HP and SH-AWD, I'll give it a very serious look.

We'll see. This is an exciting time for fans of sports sedans. It looks to continue.
    I don't think Acura will be able to offer SH-AWD without a significant bump in price ($2k?). The 300hp, yes, but not the AWD.
    Very well put-it is exciting times but the wait is killing me.
    bodble....I don't know that enough suspension massaging could be done to drop in a 300 HP motor and keep it FWD. Honda hasn't exactly been at the forefront with RWD, either.

So, if I were a betting man, I'd say for '09 they keep the Type-S motor as stadard fare and go to SH-AWD...or, use the RL motor and have no choice but to go SH-AWD.

Maybe they do none of that, keep what they've got, and settle for sheet metal upgrades. I don't see them doing that with the Accord platform being completely reworked for next MY and straying from their 5 year redesign cycle.

If for no other reason than keeping up with the competition, they'd have to hit the 300 HP mark. That would also dictate SH-AWD, too. Acura can't raise the price. They'd be conceding defeat to the likes of the G and CTS if they raised the price.
    BMW has taken the top end of the price scale. G slots itself just below that. CTS (with the General's incessant rebates) slots at or near the G. TL has always been the value leader. That's tough ground to concede.

A $2K price increase from where the TL-S is now, puts it right in 335i territory. If I were Acura, I wouldn't want to play in that sandbox, for no other reason than they don't have the cachet to play there. Plus, with the RL being discounted to low $40s, that would cause a marketing problem.

In short, they have to stay at, or near, their price range now...offer 300HP and SH-AWD just to keep what they've got in the marketplace.

Again, there are just so many good cars in the sport sedan marketplace, that the competition keeps pushing each manufacturer to out do the other, yet keep a cap on prices.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    "Honda hasn't exactly been at the forefront with RWD, either."

What's wrong w/ the S2000 and the NSX?

"A $2K price increase from where the TL-S is now, puts it right in 335i territory."
    Shoot, at its current price point, it's already at 335i territory, albeit, a stripper but still there. Even it was 2k more, you still won't get a similary equipped BMW for that price. Conversely, you wouldn't get the performance of the BMW at any price Acura asks for the TL S.
    gg...absolutely nothing wrong with either the S2000 or the NSX....two very good cars that were RWD. Point I was making, with all the models in the Acura/Honda stable over the years, the vast majority of them have been FWD. That's where their expertise lies. Comparatively, their RWD design experience has been limited to those two models.

Now, they're expanding into the SH-AWD technology. That looks to be a good move, by most reports.

$39K will get you a "stripper" 335i. I've yet to see one of those, though....believe me, I've looked. Most 335is are well into the $40K range.

Hey, I'm a BMW lover and owner. You're kind of preaching to the choir with me. The IS, G and others have taken many shots at the 3 Series and still come up short. Acura has done the same.

Which brings me to my original statement....if the '09 TL does indeed sport 300 HP and SH-AWD, with the current feature content and keeps the price they currently sell for, they will have a nice sports sedan that competes with them on performance (at least on paper), but with a -15% price advantage over the IS350 or BMW 335i. The price advantage over the G will be smaller (not MSRP, but real world prices).

Found this tidbit....

http://www.autospies.com/news/New-Acura-Sedan-Prototype-Spy-Shots-18329/

Looks like the '09 TL gets the new Acura grill (although hard to tell with the camo). Interesting to note, Acura says they want all their cars to be SH-AWD and they want V8s. Should make for interesting discussion before the '09 TL hits the market.
    Ya know, if I *ever* decide on buying a 3er, I would do ED and get a 335i stripper w only the sport package and a 6MT. Everything else would be useless. That should keep it below 40k ;)
    No leather, for a $40K car? :confuse:
  • willis3willis3 Member Posts: 76
    Infiniti G35 didn't fare too well in the low speed crash testing.

WSJ Article
    That should raise my INS symbol...thankfully it has a great safety rating...it's just profitable for the body shops.
    Neither did the TL.
    These low speed bumper tests only tell us what the cost would be to repair the cosmetic damage.
    If I get bumped in the rear bumper (leaving myself open with that comment), the cost will be on the driver who hit me and not on me, unless I back into something.
    Rearview camera and a brain help to avoid these types of accidents.

The fact is that the TL and the G both have very high grades in real crash tests, and the G holds the title for the least amount of fatalities.

It may cost a few bucks to repair fender benders, but these cars keep us and ours safe when real accidents occur.
    "G holds the title for the least amount of fatalities."

As a percentage or absolute number?
    I believe the stats are rates per million.
    I've posted the link in the past, just can't seem to find it right now.
    :cry:
    Yes, I realize that. Thanks. I just wanted to point out that the TL did not fair that much better than the G cost to repair wise.
This discussion has been closed.