Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes Benz M-Class ML320 CDI

13»

Comments

• onlydieselonlydiesel Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Need help in changing air filters on my 07 ML 320 CDI. There isn't much room on each side of the V6 diesel to remove the 4-star screws on each filter box. Is there a method to it or do both boxes have to be removed? I will also change the fuel filter at the same time.
    Thanks.

only diesel
  • travelgroovintravelgroovin Member Posts: 2
    We are on the fence about purchasing a used 2008 ML320 CDI with 63k miles. Since we tend to keep vehicles for 10+ years, reliability over the long haul is important. For example, we have a 1997 Land cruiser with 180k and going strong.

Was hoping that anyone with 2007-2008 model years with 100,000+ miles could comment on how their vehicles are holding up. Repair costs? What type of repairs to expect as car gets up in mileage?

Thanks in advance for any comments!
  • mr__edmr__ed Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2008 ML 320 CDI which we bought new. We also keep vehicles for 8-10 years. Ours has only 33,000 miles on it. Of paramount importance is how the vehicle you are considering buying was maintained.

I can tell you that my maintenance costs are very low, as I buy the correct oil and filters on line, and change the oil and filter myself, using a rather inexpensive vacuum pump. Easy to do and works great. I also obtained maintenance procedures from Star Tekinfo on how to drain water from the fuel filter (very easy); how to change the oil filter, also very easy; how to change the air filters (not as easy, but doable); and I know how to completely flush the brake system, which is also easy. I maintain my vehicle religiously and expect it to last at least 250,000 miles. It will likely outlast me! I am 73 and am quite certain this is the last vehicle I will own.

I know this does not directly answer your query, but if the vehicle has been properly maintained for its first 63k, and the seller has the records to prove it, especially the oil changes using Mobil 1 ESP 5w-40 formula M (which is absolutely required by M-Benz as it meets its spec 229.51) then it should be a great vehicle, as at 63k, a diesel is just getting broken in. I buy this oil on line, as well as the oil filter and fuel filter.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I am considering the ML350 Blutec for a long term vehicle. What kind of mileage are you getting with your early diesel? I know you don't have to mess with the Urea, which is a plus. I would mostly use it on vacations. I currently drive a Sequoia that is kind of a gas hog.
    I get 26 mpg mixed city driving and 30 mpg on the interstate.
    That was what I had hoped for highway mileage. That is nearly double what I get with my Sequoia, both mixed and highway. My understanding is the newer V6 is even more economical than the older CDI. Of course that is yet to be determined.
    Thanks
    I just replaced the original tires at 32,500 miles; their rated Treadwear was 300. The replacement Conti CrossContact LX 20 Eco Plus Technology tires have a Treadwear rating of 680! Traction, Temperature, Speed and Load were the same ratings as the old tires. I expect to get much better mileage out of the new tires, and slightly better mpg. Bought them on Tirerack.com and paid $912 delivered. Cost $92.55 to mount and balance at a Tirerack suggested Firestone store.
    OEM tires many times are not that great. My Sequoia limited came with Goodrich tires that were all but gone by 22k miles.
  • odin19odin19 Member Posts: 1
    I'm curious if you bought the used ML320 CDI and what you think of it? We are in the exact situation - own a 2006 Land Cruiser and are considering 2008 ML320 CDI with 50,000 miles. What has your experience been?
  • travelgroovintravelgroovin Member Posts: 2
    We did end up purchasing the ML320. Overall experience has been positive. We did have to address a fuel pump sending unit issue which the dealer worked with us on even though the vehicle was out of warranty (they covered labor but we paid for part.) I think its still too early to tell if it will stand the test of time like a Land Cruiser but the driving experience in terms of handling, fuel economy, and power between the two are night and day.