Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Hybrid Transmission Questions

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Having an issue with your transmission? Discuss the problem and work out a soultion here.

Comments

• Options
    tpftpf Member Posts: 7
    Noticed transmission fluid on the garage floor and drips underneath the radiator area. Dealer informed that a "clamp" securing the hose between the radiator and transmission was "missing." Clamp was replaced and no leak noticed after a few hundred miles but advised to "monitor."
  • Options
    kmcmurtriekmcmurtrie Member Posts: 2
    One thing about the HAH that bugs me every day is its slow throttle response. If I step on the gas when the car is in 4th or 5th gear, it takes between 1 and 2 seconds before there's any acceleration. Absolutely nothing happens for the first half second. Most of the time the RPMs will then climb and the transmission will downshift - accelerating 1 second after pressing the gas. Sometimes the RPMs drop, the car slows, the RPMs climb, then it downshifts - accelerating 2 seconds after pressing the gas. The car can actually slow down when stomping on the gas. I can stomp on the gas for 1/2 second in 5th gear without the slightest lurch. The throttle response is rapid in gears 1-2 and decent enough in 3rd. I've almost been rear-ended when merging to a faster lane and having the car slow down. 40 MPH seems to be where it's the worst.

Is my electric ATF pump busted or is this a design problem? The dealership says it's normal. I have a hard time believing that.
  • Options
    marginmanmarginman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 06 HAH I bought in March. There is an intermittent noise when the car shifts. It is like a click and is sometimes louder than others. It typically does it a low load or just casual driving from stop lights. The transmission is shifting fine , but the noise is very disturbing. The dealer says that there is no history of this on the Honda service site. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    pmschmipmschmi Member Posts: 1
    Are you still having this issue with your car? My HAH just started this a few months ago and Honda tells me that they cannot figure out what is happening. I usually seen to notice this noise when I am accelerating and making a right turn for some reason. The sound is not loud but it is irritating and I really don't like that Honda has said, "just learn to live with it..."
  • Options
    ahhhhhahhhhh Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 HAH has been doing this too. It began about nine months ago, is intermittent, seems to happen in regular city driving, but mostly as I come to a stop. I would describe it as a metallic clapping noise, and it's loud enough that drivers around me turn their heads toward my car to determine what is making that noise. I haven't bothered asking about it because it's intermittent and doesn't seem to affect anything, though, as everyone has said, it's disturbing. I thought it might be related to the AC, but it has also done it when the AC has not been used.
  • Options
    tonyczartonyczar Member Posts: 2
    I've had it since purchase of my 2007 Accord Hybrid. Occurs when shifting from second to third gear. I have been assuming it is somehow related to engaging of the electronic motors on the wheels.
  • Options
    cknuthcknuth Member Posts: 4
    I am the new owner of a used 2005 Accord Hybrid with 43K miles. There seems to be times when the transmission is hunting for the right gear and/or surging slightly. It usually occurs when driving mildly between 35 and 45 mph, occasionally slower, but does not occur at higher speeds. Most often occurs when one is at nearly constant speed. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was the problem?
  • Options
    lhartlhart Member Posts: 2
    I also own a 2005 Accord Hybrid, bought it new and have almost 90,000 miles on it. I also have the hunting/surging problem. First time I took it in, they told me it wasn't the transmission, it was the fuel injectors and they replaced them a few months ago (lucky for me I bought the extended warranty). I am still having the same problem. I am taking it in for service this Thursday (July 16th) and hope they can finally determine what is wrong. If they do, I will let you know. I have been searching around to find another owner with the same problem. Glad to know I am not crazy.
  • Options
    ahhhhhahhhhh Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2005 HAH new... have had it four years now, and it has had the hunting/surges from the first day of ownership. My theory is it has to do with the transition between gas and electricity. I think it's some function of the hybrid technology. In fact, I was telling a Prius owner about this, and he said he experiences the same thing with his Prius at times.

It is disconcerting nonetheless!
  • Options
    cknuthcknuth Member Posts: 4
    One thing for them to check is the "lock up solenoid". The transmission goes into "overdrive lockup" for a more direct transmission link up (no slippage, I am not a mechanic). I have done some reading and think this is something worth mentioning. Please let me know what they find and if it fixes the problem. I still have it after one visit (computer program update, no change in problem).
  • Options
    tonyczartonyczar Member Posts: 2
    I've owned my HAH for two years, purchased new. Have had this issue since day one. I'm resigned to the fact that I'm driving a computer designed to shift to save gas, not to perform during in-town driving. This is not a "driver's car". If I want performance, I drive in second gear. It drops the mpg down to 20, but it's very fun to drive this way.
  • Options
    lhartlhart Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I think I will have them check the "lock up solenoid" before my extended warranty runs out. I also think aaaahhhh's response (#10) also makes since and would explain way the service people can't find anything wrong when they check for it.
  • Options
    swingdjswingdj Member Posts: 1
    2005 Accord Hybrid

At 1,600 rpm in fourth and fifth gears (sometimes third and sometimes at 800 rpm when coasting to a stop) a loud noise arises. It sounds like someone installed an 800-watt subwoofer in my car. It seems to come from every direction and it's deafening.

It only does it after the car has warmed up and it only does it around from about 1,550 to 1,650 rpm (sometimes at 800 but rarely). It only does it when in ECO mode but not sure if that's related because the car is cruising anyway.

I took two amateur mechanics for a spin and they were stumped. It's not the rear brakes as they were cool to the touch after the ride. It's difficult to say if we feel any vibrations as the sound floods the senses and it's impossible to pinpoint where the sound originates.:dunno:

Other than that, no issues with the car.
  • Options
    rhand3rhand3 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue. I have been told by the Honda Dealership that it is the "noise reduction unit" Over $700 to fix. This is a new technology that was installed in this car. As it's not effecting performance I haven't fixed it yet. The $$ is an issue right now. As a side note, if enough of us complain about the problem in this car may AH would repair it. I have read several other posts about this.
  • Options
    bansheefanbansheefan Member Posts: 1
    Swing dj:
    This was a well known problem with the Active Noise Cancellation module; mine was not covered under warranty; involves a new ANC unit, new door speakers and they have to remove the head unit to get at the ANC..... kind of traumatic repair ( dash ripped open, doors ripped apart ) if you ask me.

Today, a solenoid in the tranny went out at 120K. Other than that, phenomenal car with none of this surging everyone is talking about. Knock wood.