Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

1235»

Comments

• fuell06fuell06 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee lurched back and forth a couple times like the engine was going to die, then went back to normal then lurched again. It happened a few separate times over the last three to four weeks. Any ideas on the cause?
  • utahgradutahgrad Member Posts: 3
    I really don't know but it may not hurt to disconnect the battery which should reset the computer. Try to eliminate the electronics. I'm no expert though.
  • cris69cris69 Member Posts: 1
    my 2000 jeep sport 4.0 doesnt want to run in overdrive? it shifts fine and runs fine in all gears but OD.Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • jmcclurkanjmcclurkan Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping you can help me figure out what is going on in my Jeep. A bit of history...Bought Jeep in 2003 and paid off in 2006. The only problems were high mileage (95,000 at purchase), a corroded battery terminal (replaced), and the (I suspect) Throttle Control Positioner is weak. Have taken very good care of care (oil changes, tune-ups, tires, etc) and it has neber really let me down.

Until now.

Something is causing a power drain and sucking brand new batteries dry in as little as 1 day or as slow as 2 weeks. I removed or disconeccted items such as my radio, power outlets, etc. I've checked every fuse incase something had blocked a fuse slot open. The alternator is fine and I cannot find any lose wiring or poor contacts.

Any ideas? Is it possible for the solenoid to "hang" and cause the drain? How would i test it? Could it be something in the throttle control positioner since i keep putting of repairing it?

Any ideas would be most appreciated. I have been diagnosed with severe COPD and my Dr. does not want me to work so i cannot afford a mechanic and i cannot afford a new car either 9this one is paid off, looks decent, and it's been good to me).

Thanks to all of you.
  • Ok, My GC Laredo V8 is a 99 w/ 134,000k. It has had a lot off work done to it when I bought it in 2006-2007.

When I start it it runs great cold. It only starts to run "lumpy" after it has fully warmed up and is running at low speeds. So,, at every stoplight, it wants to stall, almost does, and then when I come to a complete stop it recovers just-in-time (at about 200rpm where it is really shuddering ).

It is not the trans, because it does it in neutral, with or w/o the O/D on. There is a check engine light that comes and goes.

I have a fixed income and three kids. Can anyone save me some $$$ and give me some good advice on this?

Thanks so much!

-Chris
  • artichokeartichoke Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country 4.0L that's been sitting for a while with what I thought was a bad fuel pump... Here's the story.

It started having issues starting, especially when it was cold. When it did run, it would often have trouble accelerating. Eventually it would just refuse to start for weeks on end, and then randomly start up again. Finally, after a month or so of not starting at all, I tried banging on the gas tank while my buddy cranked her, and she started. The mechanic I took it to confirmed that it was probably the fuel pump, but being that I didn't want to pay $500 for the job, I decided to do it myself.

I dropped the tank, replaced the pump (correctly, to the best of my knowledge), and tried to start it again... Still wouldn't start. I checked the sparks, they were good; then checked the fuel pressure... none. So based on this information, the issue seems to be within the fuel system. I then replaced the fuel filter and the pump relay... Still nothing. So I started paying specific attention to the sound of the pump itself when I turn the car ON (not starting). From what I understand, it's supposed to make a sound for a few seconds, then stop. Mine only makes that sound for maybe half a second. And here's the funny thing. After like the second or third time I turn my car on and off, the pump stopped making the sound altogether...

I thought maybe the auto shop gave me a faulty pump, so I exchanged it for a new one. After a reinstallation, the jeep STILL won't start... And the fuel pump makes the noise only every so often when I turn the key to ON, maybe less than half the time...

So I'm thinking it may have something to do with the electrical system going to the pump itself... perhaps it's getting current but not enough? Anyway, I am absolutely stumped here... Can anybody help?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance
  • el33el33 Member Posts: 2
    My 99 4.0 cherokee is stalling out when I come to a stop, and is having trouble starting. I have to pump the gas at start other wise it wont start. I've replaced cap, plugs, rotor and wires which was no help. It is also idling very rough. If anyone has had this problem and was able to resolve please help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2011
    Hey. I feel your pain. Is there a check engine light? If so, have you put it in the shop to have it diagnosed? My 99 Grand Cherokee has the V8, and may have a completely different problem than your straight-six.

My truck was stalling at stoplights, and replacing the oxygen sensors fixed the problem. However, I was having no problems with it starting. How many miles does it have? Have you replaced the plugs? What other repairs have you had? Many times when you have symptoms like this it is the ECU (Engine computer), not a mechanical problem. I replaced my computer at 98k, and all of a sudden everything worked great again. :=)
    The computer was $200.00 on Ebay motors. It will cost you $1200 at the dealer. FYI
    Sorry, but you have to be just a little more specific due to the plethora of problems these trucks can have.
    :cry:
    -Chris
  • el33el33 Member Posts: 2
    That's petty much all the work I have had done I just bought the jeep a month ago and just started to have this problem. It has 210,000 miles on it. I'll try the oxygen sensor first and no the check engine light isn't on so I never took it to be placed on the computer to have it diagnosed.
  • forhisglory07forhisglory07 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee, 6 cylinder. It was running fine, then noticed at times it wasnt wanting to turn over, so i would turn ignition switch off, then try and it would crank. Friday, went to the store, fine, came out wouldnt crank. We replaced the ignition (with key) cranked up, ran fine for 2 days. this morning i get gas, turn off engine, want crank or turn over, the lights, horn, etc all work. the dash gages come on. but want crank. could it be the Ignition switch? If so, where is that located> in steering column or in hood? HELP !
  • camp870camp870 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Have the same problem with my 2008. Put a new starter in today. Not the problem. The guy who towed my vehicle suggested some type of relay problem. With a 1992 you may want to check the wiring to the starter for corrosion or bare/worn wire(s). Be sure and disconnect battery before messing with the terminals on starter. Another possibility is the neutral safety switch (NSS). Won't allow the car to be started if it is not working right. Good luck. From what I have seen with these Jeeps you are going to need it.
  • 2genz282genz28 Member Posts: 2
    Have you checked the IAC Valve for carbon build up? You may want to have your TPS tested as well. Both are located in the throttle body. If the IAC has alot of carbon built up on it, I would replace it first, or buy some sensor safe cleaner to remove the carbon. Cleaning out the whole throttle body out makes a big difference.
  • 2genz282genz28 Member Posts: 2
    Have you checked the IAC Valve for carbon build up? You may want to have your TPS tested as well, I believe O'reilly and AZ do it. Both are located in the throttle body. If the IAC has alot of carbon built up on it, I would replace it or buy some sensor safe cleaner to remove the carbon. Cleaning out the whole throttle body would be even better. I just did this on my Jeep and helped alot!
  • If it wants to stall when you stop at lights/or just stop and go, it is most likely one of the o/2 sensors. Is there a check engine light then just get the code checked to verify that it is a sensor issue, then replace the sensor that the code tells you is bad.

The symptoms you are describing have more than one solution. There could b e a jammed pinion on the AIC valve, you could have a blockage in the air intake and a filthy air filter. SO, 1st-get your code (if any) checked out. If it is an o/2 sensor have it replaced, If it is still acting up then you need to concentrate on the MAF and AIC as culprits. Good luck! -Chris :confuse:
  • If there is a check engine light on your dash when it wants to stall when you slow to a stop, it is one of the four 0/2 sensors has gone bad. have that replaced first, but beware! There are FOUR (4) oxygen sensors on the WJ model Jeep you and I both have. (I just had this done by Merchants Auto repairs, I had to have ALL 4 of my sensors replaced. Cost me $375. Mine ;) is finally fixed!

It is going to cost you $250 for the new sensors, then a separate fee for someone to install them for you. I would ask a friend who may be a good mechanic and then just slide him 200 bucks to put them in,
  • rldcrldc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport; it will not start at all. Any suggestions?
  • morganandremorganandre Member Posts: 2
    My experience is that it is either spark or fuel. Check the spark first it could be the distributor or cellonoid, unplug the distributor wire to the cellonoid and stick a screwdriver in there and start and see if there is spark. If it isn't spark then spray some starter fluid in the air flow and start if it starts for a moment then dies then it is most likely a fuel pump relay or a fuel pump. Hope this helps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2011
    The 2001 4.0 liter Cherokee uses a distributor-less ignition system that utilizes coil packs and is controlled by the Engine Control Unit...(ECU). Make sure the plugs are all good, make sure the intake is clean, and the fuel pump is working (u should hear a very slight whine from the back if you turn the key to the on position.w/o starting the engine). It should be throwing a code..so there should be a check engine light on. f so, then take it somewhere for a free estimate. I think its your ECU,and a refurbished one is about $2 - 3 hundred. If the shop buys it it will be $1200. So, my money is on the computer. Good luck. please post back when you have it fixed! :sick:
  • rldcrldc Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply. I have a question if you don't mind. What is a Engine Control Unit? I that the computer it self and where is it located?
  • The ECU is the Engine Control Unit. It controls the air/fuel mixture during all operating modes and adjusts for air temperature, engine load, engine speed, throttle position, fuel octane, and on and on. Works with all the sensors on the car, and almost instantaneously adjusts for the best power and fuel economy.

If it needs to be replaced, go to www.autocomputerexchange.net. They have every computer there is, and I already checked it for you. $199 gets u a new one, and after you supply them with your vin# and mileage, it gets all the software and updates from Jeep before you even get it, and just plugs in. It is either in the engine bay, or under the passenger side of the cabin. If your Jeep is running poorly, take it to the nearest shop and get the codes from the ECU, then they can tell you if the problem is computer, sensor, or hardware issue. Good luck. :sick:

Good luck!
  • billg10549billg10549 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 GC w/ 135K on it. I started having a problem with startup. It wouldn't start on the first go round but if i cranked it 4 - 5 seconds and turned it off and then cranked it, it would start fine. So we replaced the fuel filter thinking it was the check valve not holding pressure. 2 months later, same thing. So some sensors came up on the diagnostics, we replaced those, and same problem. So we replaced the new fuel pump with a newer fuel pump. Same problem and no engine light on. Either the new fuel pump is defective or some thing else is happening.
    Mechanics and I don't know. Mechanic wants to change the timing gears.
    Any thoughts?
  • 00jeeplaredo00jeeplaredo Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo its a 4.0 and i have the same problem when i start it the idle drops a little below the 1000 rpms it only happens when im at a stop sign i checked the coil plugs and it has good spark the next thing to check is the injectors i checked the codes it it said cylinder 1 if any one has this problem or experienced something similar please let me know thx
    Changed the after market fuel pump 2x and now are trying a Chrysler pump. Changed a few sensors and checked the injectors. The symptoms all point to the fuel pump check valve so we will know later.
    Also the mileage according to the display is all over the place but not where it should be. The guys at the shop have been good with all of this and are not charging me for the extra time involved.
  • yort1yort1 Member Posts: 1
    the coolant tempature sensor will do this. it cost about $20.00 and takes 2minutes to put on. It tells the computer how much fuel to give the engine based on temp.
    Put in a Chrysler fuel pump and it is working fine. I will remember the coolant sensor for the future but that did not come up as a problem on the computer
  • 00jeeplaredo00jeeplaredo Member Posts: 2
    recently its been hesitating when i get on the highway at around 50mph it starts to sputter anybody has had a similar problem??? and its still has the rough idle motor seems to shake a bit at idle
  • danzegerdanzeger Member Posts: 1
    My cherokee will not start. Ran fine one day, drove it home, parked it, would not start the next morning. So far, I have replaced the coil, the bell housing sensor and the plastic plate below the distributor. Still I have no spark coming from the distributor. It turns over fine, just never starts. I don't know what else would be involved with sending a spark, except the computer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • crackerdave1crackerdave1 Member Posts: 1
    Computer may have lost it's ground. If you GC has factory alarm the ASD will be 'rattleing' for lack of sufficent ground. Under Alternator, attached to block is the primary ground to ECM. It's 2 lg. gauge wires/cables attached to brass like square. Remove, clean plate and block attachment point (threaded stud)with wire brush thoroughly and replace using die-electric grease.
  • brianm007brianm007 Member Posts: 1
    Ok my jeep serges or just dies out wile excelorating or at idle. When its warm. I have replaced computer. Alternator batery plugs wires cap rotor fuel filter fuel pump starter nothing so far has worked I tho this has hapened to other people but no one has yet to give me a solution that worked yet I'm asumeing electrical but dono were to start
  • 1944mb1944mb Member Posts: 1
    This has been going on for two years. 1999 6 cyl Cherokee Auto with 145,000 miles. Starts up, acts fine, pull out, no power...then it surges. Death trap trying to pull out in traffic. It feels like a weed eater that is choked out...still running but no power. I've even considered the transmission but don't know if that could cause that problem. It was rebuilt at about 120,000 miles. Does it when cold or hot...mostly cold. After it does it once it usually doesn't do it for awhile but it COULD.
    We've had all of the fuel system cleaned, new fuel pump, coil, plugs, tuned, etc. No one seems to be able to figure it out. My daughter drives this and has learned to live with it but I'm going to trade unless it can be fixed. Scares me.
    Any help is appreciated.
  • utahgradutahgrad Member Posts: 3
    Have you tried to replace the crank and camshaft sensors? I have two Cherokees that have had similar issues. I replaced all sensors around the intake(cheap on Ebay) and the previously mentioned sensors. No issues now. On Ebay, most of these sensors are anywhere between $5-$20 as to $50+ in the auto part's stores. Hope this assists you. I know in one of my Jeeps, I would get that weed eating sensation but only when it was hot.
  • I am assuming that your truck is in good shape, other than this issue.

I can guarantee you it is an O/2 sensor. Is the check engine light on? If so, go get it checked out. Many places will check the code at no charge, hoping to earn your business.

My 99 V8 Grand Cher with 133k started doing the same thing. My engine has 4 0/2 sensors, and it cost $600 (total w/ parts and labor) to have them all put in. ;)

Totally fixed the issue.

Good luck. I sold my Grand Cher, and bought a Kia Optima EX, so this will be my last post here. Hasta La Vista Baby!!! :D
  • briar3briar3 Member Posts: 1
    my jeeps doing the same thing did you figure out what to do???
  • xj_gripper239xj_gripper239 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1993 jeep cherokee xj, so when i start it sometimes it will run good for instance last night i drive it five miles without an issue, but i was just trying to get it home, so i got to wondering if i goosed it, if it would stall on me, so i got on it an it cutt of, so when i out it in nuetral it started back up, an got it home no other issues, so today i went out there looking at it an started it up an it started up for a good second an shut off. the belt was squeling, i started it a few times an it did the same thing over an over agin, so i started it up an reved it up to about 3000 rpms until the belt stopped making noise an it ran good, until i put it in drive an it shutt off on me agin so i had to start it five times to move it fifteen feet. i was thinking it was the throttle postion sen, or the crank postion sen. because it likes to do it the most when it warms up to opperating temp. please please please someone help me
    thank James
  • xj_gripper239xj_gripper239 Member Posts: 2
    i didnt but i have replaced the cps, an still having the issue, so i ordered the belt tensioner collar from the jeep dealer, cost 20 bucks an the bolt, im thinking its a loose belt. im hoping.
  • wwilgimwwilgim Member Posts: 6
    it is the pcm power control monitor.i had that problem before.a new one is about 200 bucks.
  • simnir32simnir32 Member Posts: 1
    Alternator. Sounds weird, but I went through a battery and the sensor. I replaced the alternator, and that problem went away. I'm no mechanic, was just a process of elimination.